another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by Themightytom »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:They should just relocate Mecca to the 9/11 site and just be done with it. Then every September 11, all the Mohammedians can have their Ramadan there and all the Americans can shut the fuck up.
Good Good, Shroom is confusing American Conservatives with "Americans" our plan to discredit Canada is finally bearing fruit...

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Speaking of "RAR LIBERALS RUINING AMURICA."
Am I the only one who sees the pun in depicting the US economy in a china shop

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Kanastrous wrote:Oh gawd. Does our future hold cartoons of thousand of Muslims circumambulating Ground Zero...?
SHHH!!! Don't give them ideas!
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Dear Bob Gorrell:

I e-mail you to bring to your attention facts regarding your most recent poltical "cartoon". It seems that you along with many on the right have likened the 'Community Center' being built several blocks from ground zero to "Building a Japanese Memorial near Pearl Harbor."

I wish to inform you of a factual error in that, since WWII, indeed after pearl harbor, there are existing Shinto shrines, that do indeed act as memorials, built directly next to Pearl Harbor that have been active for decades.

These "Japanese Memorials" have existed for over 50 years without incident or controversy in any way similar to that around the 'Community Center' several blocks from ground zero.

There are several online sources for this, but you may find one of them here: http://www.religion-online.org/showarti ... title=1437

As a right minded individual, I am sure you will take this into account and publish a clarifaction of your assertions with all speed.

Thank you for being open to the truth.
Eric Fischer
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

As many of us know, the current Meme among Conservatives is, yet again, pushing the "OMG OBAMA IS MUSLIM" agenda, largely due to the stuff happening in New York with the community center. The following is an interesting look at two "cartoons" on this.

Ok, is this "TERRIBLE" Well, from a conservative view point it would be damn funny. Obama dressed as a Muslim, shouting "Stop calling me a Muslim!"
Dishounst? Of course.
Factually wrong? Naturally.

But from a conservative viewpoint, it at least makes sense. Now contrast that with the following.

The key here is Obama stats "NOW do I look like a Muslim?"
This is in some ways over the top. The implacation is that Obama must have seem to look like a Muslim, but now is trying not to.
Like so many of these, expecially from Ramerez, the cartoon simply fails to make sense. If you wished to imply that Obama WAS a Muslim, you would include something referanceing this. If you wish to imply that he is 'now' attempting to not 'look' like a Muslim, I can think of a dozen better ways to convey this point other then having him ride a Bicycle with training wheels.

While both cartoons churn my stomach, Lesters at least comes right out with its point and "makes sense" on a conservative viewpoint. Ramerez, simply fails. And of course there are the teleprompters. I mean really do these people EVER try anything "new" ?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

I don't get it. Do Muslims not ride bikes?
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I think they're saying that him saying that is an exercise in futility. Notice the rear tire seems to be spinning and digging a rut?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

...and it has training wheels. Because, you know, Obama can't handle riding a grown-up bike.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
kouchpotato
Youngling

Post by kouchpotato »

Obama is a fucking idiot. Who needs a teleprompter? He should just write it on his hand like Sarah Palin :roll:
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

You know, there is a gem of an idea there that the fact that obama has to deny that he is a muslim is in itself a problem, not because it's true he's not a muslim but the idea that if he was in fact a muslim that makes him unsuited to the presidency.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I agree it's absolutely reprehensible that the religion of any political figure should ever be an issue, no matter what it is christian, Muslim or atheist!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

how about hubburd-ologists and the esoteric order of dagon?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Isolder74 wrote:I agree it's absolutely reprehensible that the religion of any political figure should ever be an issue, no matter what it is christian, Muslim or atheist!
Since when did any politician really give a shit about the Constitution? They're so obsessed with the Amendments (1 and 2 especially) that they forget shit like Article VI.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Dalton wrote:Since when did any politician really give a shit about the Constitution?
Not since they finished signing it.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Chuck Asay once more seems to transverse from mindless fundi over into Jack Chick territory with this.

The very notion that the first step to "fixing America" seems to be cracking open the bible is so laughably backwards as to make me wonder if someone's doing this as a parody of Chuck... Except knowing Chuck's past its Par for the corse. It is also unbelivavly Ironic to have someone holding up the Bible AND the Constitution.

"You're showing me the Bible?"
"Have you opened it?"
"Yes I have, It is a 3000 year old book of fairy tales written by a Bronze age people. Was there something in there related to running a 21st century country of 350 million people?"

[Sigh]
One more.
I am going to assume that this is supposed to be Obama, because, you know, Obama is evidently a child who doesn't know anything. Hur hur!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Also a nice try at infantilizing the Iraqi people - respect and concern for whom was supposedly why Conservative types were so gung-ho to get into their business, in the first place.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Which is something you see often... A more "logical" cartoon could be along the lines of:

A ruined Iraq with a group of Iraq's looking worried, homes burnt and destroyed, and a soldier leaving saying "Sorry about the mess, hope it works out for you."

That would be an apt cartoon, however that would admit that We Americans were the one that CAUSED this mess, that we went in under false pretenses, started a needless war, and ruined the place. Was Saddam a bad man? Of course, are we glad he is gone? naturally... Did Bush have any plan for what happened after he invaded? Hell No]
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

The sketcher of this cartoon has talent, but I don't think much of his politics:

It's a relatively old cartoon (2005) and has this been posted before?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Post by Mr. Tickle »

The sketcher of this cartoon has talent, but I don't think much of his politics:
Agreed.

Seriously though, American is the holder of western civilization? Get over yourself already.

Beyond that I can't understand what it's saying, liberalism is going to kill america but the gun is loaded by islam? I fail on any level to see the link between "liberalism" (i presume it means left leaning social policy) and Islam.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

That is actually a fairly old cartoon and was posted a while back. However it perfectly encapsulates much of right wing "cartoons" in general.

For 'most' poltical cartoonists, the point is to take some person or some current event, and lampoon it. Something happens in the news, or some politician says somethign stupid, and they make a cartoon about it.

Contrast that with a large bulk of conservative cartoons and you will find much of them follow a much more different mode of operating.

Specficlly they often will simply put up what they THINK is happening, as opposed to what has. They use the cartoons not as a lampoon, but a soapbox to preach thier views. Look to the cartoons of Obama wacking baby fetuses with a mallet, or of vage cartoons of someone with a "Liberal" tag smashing someone with "America' on it, or of the endless cartoos showing muslims destroying "westren civilization"

These people simply use their cartoons to preach to the convertred as it were. They are usually filled with lies, strawmen and comparisons that rarely make no logical sense.

The above cartoon, as stated, implies that "Liberalism" will destroy America, and that "Liberals" are being loaded by "Muslims" When in fact the radical Muslim sects owe much more to fundimentalists chrstian sects then any Progressive idellogy.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What's really frightening about Asay is how he treats the Bible: as some sort of magical talisman that is supposed to solve all problems if people would have bothered with it.

It is so obvious that he never opened it himself.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Mr. Tickle wrote:
Agreed.

Seriously though, American is the holder of western civilization? Get over yourself already.

Beyond that I can't understand what it's saying, liberalism is going to kill america but the gun is loaded by islam? I fail on any level to see the link between "liberalism" (i presume it means left leaning social policy) and Islam.
There is a belief that liberal multiculturalism is allowing Muslims to gradually chip away at Western Liberalism and democracy, first by protecting them from criticism and allowing them to live by their own laws. Eventually, the argument goes, they will take over and establish Islamic theocracies in Europe and America. This video by an almost famous British atheist is just a tiny example of the argument.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Remember what I said about conservative cartoonists using thier cartoons as soapboxes more then true satire? Once again I have my point proved by Chuck Asay.

Aside from the obvious conotation of the right using guns with guns, which is not the first time chuck has brought up "Second Amendment solutions", there is the fact that the cartoon is devoid of any true point other then 'painting' democrats as not having anythign to run on other then calling thier opponants "Racists" "Homophobes" or "Bigot"

Which, for anyone who has seen Chucks work, we would know is 100% true.
The guns still get to me as well, once again this could have been less "TERRIBLE" if the guns had, well "tax cuts" or small government" on them. Then at least you could make it into a metaphor for the rights platform. But there is none of that, it is a CLEAR suggestion that the right in the country should indeed arm themselves.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Does America's right really think their often-insinuated "second amendment solution" will result in anything but unruly crowds of would-be putschers being gunned down in the streets like animals?
Truth fears no trial.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

It depends on who you ask...

People like Chuck most likely really believe it, they have fantasies of "The People" rising up and casting down "The Government" and in most of these fantasies, the US Military is overcome with sympathy and would not dream of rasing a hand to a fellow citizine.
If you really press, many of thier "second amendment" fantasies revolve around the US Military basically laying down and doing nothing while "The People" storm the white house.

Now, for others, mostly those higher up and who are more of a bastard, thier intention is more clear... As has been seen already, its not about real revoultion, it is about hoping some nutter takes the words to heart and offs some high ranking Liberals or Obama himself.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!