Obama authorizes killing of cleric

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Obama authorizes killing of cleric

Post by Captain Seafort »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:What does that have to do with them still being subject to the rules of engagement in a warzone? Would you care to point to the citation in the Geneva convention that states enemy combatants who aren't soldiers are exempt from rules of engagement?
If they're fighting then they count as combatants and can be shot at as much as necessary. Otherwise they're normal civilians. The most extreme interpretation of this is if someone decides the firefight isn't going his way, drops his weapon and runs then he can't be fired upon. [Holmes, R; Dusty Warriors, pp 243]
Hey, fuck face. If you aren't going to pay attention to the thread then get the fuck out. It has already been covered numerous times that an unarmed criminal could legally be killed while trying to escape if the peace officer has probable cause that they pose a danger to the community.
And I've pointed out that that is not the case here:
Manual of Guidance: Police Use of Firearms wrote:An officer will only be justified in resorting to the discharge of a warning shot(s) in the most serious and exceptional of circumstances, where failure to do so would result in the loss of life or serious injury.

When it is considered necessary to open fire on a subject, using conventional ammunition, police officers need to shoot to stop an imminent threat to life. The imminence of any threat should be judged, in respect to the potential for loss of life, with due regard to legislation and consideration of necessity, reasonableness and proportionality.
While the ECHR admits the use of deadly force to prevent escape the guidance does not. I'll therefore pass over all other objections relating to US law. If your sole objection to my arguments continue to rest on these points of law then I suggest we agree to disagree, as the difference is one of nation differences regarding whether fleeing criminals can be shot.
A drunk driver is not maliciously setting out to murder people, and therefore not the same. A speeding driver is not setting out to murder people, and therefore not the same!
I'm sure they're not. Doesn't change the fact that they're an immediate threat, unlike some joker in a cave.
In an effort to try and mock this discussion you are making yourself look like an idiot by demonstrating that you think drunk drivers, speeders, shoplifters, and mass murders all fall into the same criminal category.
Wrong - I said they should all be subject to the same process - arrest, charge, trial.
You gave the definition. You did not cite the law. Again, I'd like you to cite the law that states the subject in our OP is not subject to military action when engaged in wartime operations against the United States. You may cite either the appropriate Geneva Convention article or US Criminal Law.
Will you accept the above cited case of RoE forbidding firing on unarmed retreating combatants as such? If not I'll dig into the convention.
It makes them subject to military action period. Whether that action be capture or kill. Perhaps, he should just go back to being a propoganda pusher for AQ instead of taking part in operations.
See above.
In most cases that is true when you're dealing with non-violent criminals. In the case of violent criminals then the likelyhood of future victims should be considered when deciding to act.
Not here - as my above quote demonstrates, the police are only allowed to open fire to prevent death or serious injury there and then.
This discussion is also about whether or not a government can kill one of its citizens without due process.
Not for me - I'm arguing against the entire premise of the drone war - be the targets Saudi, Pakistani or US.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Captain Seafort wrote: If they're fighting then they count as combatants and can be shot at as much as necessary. Otherwise they're normal civilians. The most extreme interpretation of this is if someone decides the firefight isn't going his way, drops his weapon and runs then he can't be fired upon. [Holmes, R; Dusty Warriors, pp 243]
A book, seriously? I asked you for relevant law. Here's a link to LOAC (Law of Armed Conflict) which is a program designed to abide by international law on warfare.

LOAC
from LOAC link pg 2 wrote: Lawful Combatants. A lawful combatant is an individual authorized by governmental authority or the LOAC to engage in hostilities. A lawful combatant may be a member of a regular armed force or an irregular force. In either case, the lawful combatant must be commanded by a person responsible for subordinates; have fixed distinctive emblems recognizable at a distance, such as uniforms; carry arms openly; and conduct his or her combat operations according to the LOAC. The LOAC applies to lawful combatants who engage in the hostilities of armed conflict and provides combatant immunity for their lawful warlike acts during conflict, except for LOAC violations.

Noncombatants. These individuals are not authorized by overnmental authority or the LOAC to engage in hostilities. In fact, they do not engage in hostilities. This category includes civilians accompanying the Armed Forces; combatants who are out of combat, such as POWs and the wounded, and certain military personnel who are members of the Armed Forces not authorized to engage in combatant activities, such as medical personnel and chaplains. Noncombatants may not be made the object of direct attack. They may, however, suffer injury or death incident to a direct attack on a military objective without such an attack violating the LOAC, if such attack is on a lawful target by lawful means.

Unlawful Combatants. Unlawful combatants are individuals who directly participate in hostilities without being authorized by governmental authority or under international law to do so. For example, bandits who rob and plunder and civilians who attack a downed airman are unlawful combatants. Unlawful combatants who engage in hostilities violate LOAC and become lawful targets. They may be killed or wounded and, if captured, may be tried as war criminals for their LOAC violations.
Emphasis mine. Persons such as the OP subject fall into this category. It specifically states they can be killed.
And I've pointed out that that is not the case here:

Manual of Guidance: Police Use of Firearms"]An officer will only be justified in resorting to the discharge of a warning shot(s) in the most serious and exceptional of circumstances, where failure to do so would result in the loss of life or serious injury.

When it is considered necessary to open fire on a subject, using conventional ammunition, police officers need to shoot to stop an imminent threat to life. The imminence of any threat should be judged, in respect to the potential for loss of life, with due regard to legislation and consideration of necessity, reasonableness and proportionality.

While the ECHR admits the use of deadly force to prevent escape the guidance does not. I'll therefore pass over all other objections relating to US law. If your sole objection to my arguments continue to rest on these points of law then I suggest we agree to disagree, as the difference is one of nation differences regarding whether fleeing criminals can be shot.
Exactly how does UK law enforcement code apply to international law, and US law? Since the prime subject of this discussion is in regards to the US issuing a capture or kill order for one of its own citizens I'm not sure why you think UK law applies at all?
I'm sure they're not. Doesn't change the fact that they're an immediate threat, unlike some joker in a cave.
This is completely irrelevant. I'm starting to wonder if you are comprehending my position. Throw me a bone here. Tell me what my position is. Be as accurate as possible. Then explain why your DUI, speeding, examples are relevant to my position in this discussion.
Wrong - I said they should all be subject to the same process - arrest, charge, trial.
They should, but not unlike a zero tolerance policy strict adherence to that pattern results in more innocent deaths. Explain to me why you place due process over the lives of criminals potential victims?

If an Usama Bin Laden was spotted by an armed UAV, and no means of capture were available, you would be OK with letting him get away despite the fact that he's alluded capture for nearly a decade since the war on terror began?
Will you accept the above cited case of RoE forbidding firing on unarmed retreating combatants as such? If not I'll dig into the convention.
That's not a cited case of RoE. That's a book. I want a citation for an official RoE or law that supports your position that Obama signed off on an illegal order.
Not here - as my above quote demonstrates, the police are only allowed to open fire to prevent death or serious injury there and then.
UK police. Not US police. Obama is the US president. If your country wishes to place due process above the lives of its citizens then that's your problem. Thankfully, this is something the United States did right. You are aware that when someone dies they can't come back right? There is no restart from last save option? So, when you allow a mass murdered to escape just because he's no longer fighting but running then you've effectively allowed that mass murdered to try again, and any deaths caused by this mass murdered after this critical junction are partially your governments fault.
Not for me - I'm arguing against the entire premise of the drone war - be the targets Saudi, Pakistani or US.
I have problems with the drone war myself, but this started because people felt what Obama himself did was illegal, unconstitutional, whatever. Now, if he were to OK a bomb drop on a school to carry out the elimination of the OP subject then I damn that act. However, this act alone I do not condemn, but support.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Bakustra wrote:No, you were comparing the US to Israel in the point I was responding to, saying that terrorism was something much harder to reduce than. Learn how to store the contents of your posting in long-term memory, if you please.
Talking about long term memory, if you recall the point I was arguing was that the amount of terrorist deaths does not warrant the massive resources spent and constitutional rights abridged. If you think similarly, why are you even pursuing this tangent? Just because you feel like arguing?
Bakustra wrote:Curiously enough, people are talking about the implications, moral and legal, of ordering someone assassinated. Charging in with a grandiose, crimson example of Clupea pallassi is a non sequitur, akin to barging into a thread on the practicality of this rocket engine or another with "we'll never get into space anyways, so stop talking about it".
Uh, the idea that the premise for an argument is invalid is a valid argument. "No, you shouldn't assassinate that person, because the terrorist problem is not as dire as many other problems where assassination people would be unthinkable." is a reasonable argument.
Bakustra wrote:It's therefore bizarre for someone to use this to attack the idea of using assassinations against citizens or in lieu of a trial/military action, especially since it is contingent on current or near-current situations. Am I to take it that you would support "throwing out the Constitution" if terrorism were actually a significant threat? I doubt that this is the case, which is why I denounce your argument.
People in this thread are using "The seriousness of this situation warrants the response" to which "the situation is NOT that serious" is my counter.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

Captain Seafort wrote:
eyl wrote:What if the country in question refuses to arrest him? (Or doesn't control the territory enough to do so even if they want to?)
Then you're fucked.
And if he's planning attacks against your civilians (not the case in the OP's specific case, AFAIK, but as a general question)? Do you think a government can (or should) respond to that by telling its citizens that they're SOL?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Yogi wrote:
Bakustra wrote:No, you were comparing the US to Israel in the point I was responding to, saying that terrorism was something much harder to reduce than. Learn how to store the contents of your posting in long-term memory, if you please.
Talking about long term memory, if you recall the point I was arguing was that the amount of terrorist deaths does not warrant the massive resources spent and constitutional rights abridged. If you think similarly, why are you even pursuing this tangent? Just because you feel like arguing?
Bakustra wrote:Curiously enough, people are talking about the implications, moral and legal, of ordering someone assassinated. Charging in with a grandiose, crimson example of Clupea pallassi is a non sequitur, akin to barging into a thread on the practicality of this rocket engine or another with "we'll never get into space anyways, so stop talking about it".
Uh, the idea that the premise for an argument is invalid is a valid argument. "No, you shouldn't assassinate that person, because the terrorist problem is not as dire as many other problems where assassination people would be unthinkable." is a reasonable argument.
Bakustra wrote:It's therefore bizarre for someone to use this to attack the idea of using assassinations against citizens or in lieu of a trial/military action, especially since it is contingent on current or near-current situations. Am I to take it that you would support "throwing out the Constitution" if terrorism were actually a significant threat? I doubt that this is the case, which is why I denounce your argument.
People in this thread are using "The seriousness of this situation warrants the response" to which "the situation is NOT that serious" is my counter.
My opposition to you is founded on your apparent belief that the rule of law can and should be suspended or set aside if the moment is dire enough. If you do not actually believe this, then you should avoid making arguments around "well it just isn't bad enough YET" and implying that assassinations would be moral/legal if the situation was bad enough.
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
UK police. Not US police. Obama is the US president. If your country wishes to place due process above the lives of its citizens then that's your problem. Thankfully, this is something the United States did right. You are aware that when someone dies they can't come back right? There is no restart from last save option? So, when you allow a mass murdered to escape just because he's no longer fighting but running then you've effectively allowed that mass murdered to try again, and any deaths caused by this mass murdered after this critical junction are partially your governments fault.
What? Re-read the Garner test. US police are only allowed to use deadly force when there is a serious risk to other people involved. It's part of US law. They also can't preemptively decide to kill people, either. I also have problems with the idea that we should just toss rule of law out whenever. Simply reducing this to "do you prefer laws or lives?" is a truly ugly black-and-white fallacy. Ideally, I would prefer holding to the rule of law and using military force. If the cleric is a lawful combatant, then I don't have a problem if he gets shot, but prove that he is. He has not taken up arms or engaged in active hostilities with American forces, unless we want to allow the Chinese government to legally assassinate people who speak in favor of Tibetan independence, since they are engaging in the same kind of "hostilities". In other words, the man could be a legitimate military target, but if he is not, then this is nothing more than the President of the US authorizing murder in the first degree. I'm sure that most presidents have done so before, thanks to the CIA and OSS, but intelligence agencies ignoring laws that they don't like is no great surprise.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

eyl wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
eyl wrote:What if the country in question refuses to arrest him? (Or doesn't control the territory enough to do so even if they want to?)
Then you're fucked.
And if he's planning attacks against your civilians (not the case in the OP's specific case, AFAIK, but as a general question)? Do you think a government can (or should) respond to that by telling its citizens that they're SOL?
No. They should hold a proper trial for him in absentia. He should get a real legal team to defend him. If he is indeed determined as guilty and setenced to death THEN the setence may be carried out with special forces, drones or whatever. The point is it should not be so much easier to arbaritarily execute someone by assosiating them with terrorism, The same rules should apply when the state decides to kill one of its own citizens regardless of their purported crimes.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Why? We don't hold trials for enemy combatants, regardless of their citizenship. This is war. You don't hold trials for the enemy.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Bakustra wrote:My opposition to you is founded on your apparent belief that the rule of law can and should be suspended or set aside if the moment is dire enough. If you do not actually believe this, then you should avoid making arguments around "well it just isn't bad enough YET" and implying that assassinations would be moral/legal if the situation was bad enough.
The rule of law does call for killing people without a trial if the situation is dire enough, it's called declaring war and we do it against our actual threats (in theory). There do exist situations where if the immediate threat is high enough, people can legally kill without needing a trial, it's just that this doesn't fall into any of them.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Why? We don't hold trials for enemy combatants, regardless of their citizenship. This is war. You don't hold trials for the enemy.
Wars have actual properly defined enemies and victory conditions. War on terror does not. You can pursue war on terror for next 50 years without being one inch closer to victory since you dont even know what constitutes victory. Given the circumstances it would be foolhardy to apply same mentality as a war with nations at stake.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

True, but this is seems like the way they want to do it and is the way they are currently doing it - and thus treating them as enemy combatants in an actual war, irregardless of citizenship, is consistent with the way they're carrying things out as is. Sure, its terrible. But it's a war! On terror!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

Sarevok wrote:
eyl wrote:And if he's planning attacks against your civilians (not the case in the OP's specific case, AFAIK, but as a general question)? Do you think a government can (or should) respond to that by telling its citizens that they're SOL?
No. They should hold a proper trial for him in absentia. He should get a real legal team to defend him. If he is indeed determined as guilty and setenced to death THEN the setence may be carried out with special forces, drones or whatever. The point is it should not be so much easier to arbaritarily execute someone by assosiating them with terrorism, The same rules should apply when the state decides to kill one of its own citizens regardless of their purported crimes.
I don't know the technicalities of how executioners are chosen in the US, so I may be mistaken...but wouldn't this be illegal? Even if you DID "accredit" the SF involved as legal executioners, you're sending them in to perform the sentence in another country, outside the jurisdiction of the US courts (and possibly, at least in theory, in a place where the death penalty does not exist). So aren't you basically upholding the rule of law by breaking the law?
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Yeah. Drone strikes and such are not written into the law like other forms of punitive measures a country can take against its citizens. But they need to be given the needs of changing times. Consider a muslim person visiting relatives in Pakistan. If he were accused of mingling with terrorists and swatted with a hellfire missile while driving along in a provincial small town no one would bat an eye lash. No one would ask for proof of wrongdoings or whether wrong person was targeted. It is a huge loophole that should leave muslim Americans feeling paranoid.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

eyl wrote: I don't know the technicalities of how executioners are chosen in the US, so I may be mistaken...but wouldn't this be illegal? Even if you DID "accredit" the SF involved as legal executioners, you're sending them in to perform the sentence in another country, outside the jurisdiction of the US courts (and possibly, at least in theory, in a place where the death penalty does not exist). So aren't you basically upholding the rule of law by breaking the law?
Isn't jurisdiction based on where the crime takes place?
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

It's not the only determining factor.

The full list is:
  • Place where committed
  • Nationality of victim
  • Nationality of perpetrator
  • Target of the crime (e.g. crimes against property)
  • Whether local authority refuses to do anything
So for example, a crime committed by an Afghani against a Chinese person in Argentina could fall under the jurisdiction of Finnish law if the crime itself had some actual relation to Finland and Finnish national interests (such as selling secrets stolen from here). They could and would be prosecuted in Finnish court if we got our hands on them, but obviously Argentinian authorities would have first crack at them by virtue of prime jurisdiction. If they refused to do anything, Finland would have jurisdiction, but there would be competing claims from China and Afghanistan due to the nationality issue.

This kind of tangles are one reason why getting hold of the perp is important, it gives you a stronger claim.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
jcow79
Padawan Learner

Post by jcow79 »

Bakustra wrote:What? Re-read the Garner test. US police are only allowed to use deadly force when there is a serious risk to other people involved. It's part of US law.
FUCKING LIAR!!! This has been refuted over and over again since the beginning of this thread and you and others have ignored it over and over and over and fucking over again. It's been shown that if the risk of their escape puts OTHER people at risk then deadly force is allowed. There is NO restriction that only the people INVOLVED need be at risk. The serial killer was an example. If a police officer was separated from a known serial killer by an impassable chain link fence and the killer was fleeing but unarmed, if the killers escape appears likely, the officer is well within his rights and compelled by his duty to kill him dead DESPITE no one being immediately at risk.

According to the article this person has:
the radical Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who is believed to have shifted from encouraging attacks on the United States to directly participating in them

Emphasis mine.

This charge puts him in a level of dangerousness of that or higher than a serial killer.
They also can't preemptively decide to kill people, either. I also have problems with the idea that we should just toss rule of law out whenever.

Given that the article states that international law allows for this and evidence has been shown that lethal force is allowed under U.S. law. Please cite the appropriate law being "thrown out" It appears the law BEING obeyed is the authorization of deadly force applied under the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Tennessee v. Garner ruled that deadly force is considered a "seizure". The parameters of this scenario being discussed are that less intrusive means are NOT available but deadly force is possible. If he is killed dead all that need be proven is that he is:
A)Dangerous
B)Was unable to be captured at the time deadly force was applied and his escape was likely. (I.e. reasonable less intrusive means are not available as prescribed by TvG)

Therefore a seizure is being performed using the requirements of the Constitution.

The only other requirement of TvG is that might apply is:
where [471 U.S. 1, 12] feasible, some warning has been given.
Noting that it states only when FEASIBLE, but you could also consider a public authorization by the President to use deadly force akin to an officer shouting "You will be fired upon" as a warning to meet Constitutional requirements.

Simply reducing this to "do you prefer laws or lives?" is a truly ugly black-and-white fallacy. Ideally, I would prefer holding to the rule of law and using military force. If the cleric is a lawful combatant, then I don't have a problem if he gets shot, but prove that he is. He has not taken up arms or engaged in active hostilities with American forces, unless we want to allow the Chinese government to legally assassinate people who speak in favor of Tibetan independence, since they are engaging in the same kind of "hostilities". In other words, the man could be a legitimate military target, but if he is not, then this is nothing more than the President of the US authorizing murder in the first degree. I'm sure that most presidents have done so before, thanks to the CIA and OSS, but intelligence agencies ignoring laws that they don't like is no great surprise.
Threats of violence ARE NOT protected by the Constitution and if your means and ability to carry out such threats is reasonable then the use of deadly force against you is more likely than someone deemed unable to carry out such threats.
Also, why are you ignoring the part of the article that claims he is now actively participated in attacks? Please provide evidence against that of the claims made by the counter terrorism officials cited in the OP. If you have some, you could very well save this man’s life.

Enough with this "against the law" "unconstitutional" bullshit. Put up or shut up when citing the laws. If you have relevant case law regarding these issues PLEASE FUCKING PROVIDE it. I'm no legal scholar but what I and a couple others have managed to provide appears to trump your simple assertions. I will gladly concede if you can find other cases that demonstrate any applicable laws are being broken that meet the assumed criteria of the circumstances being discussed.

But if you cannot, then I demand you concede the points regarding the legal claims you have made.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

jcow79 wrote:
Bakustra wrote:What? Re-read the Garner test. US police are only allowed to use deadly force when there is a serious risk to other people involved. It's part of US law.
FUCKING LIAR!!! This has been refuted over and over again since the beginning of this thread and you and others have ignored it over and over and over and fucking over again. It's been shown that if the risk of their escape puts OTHER people at risk then deadly force is allowed. There is NO restriction that only the people INVOLVED need be at risk. The serial killer was an example. If a police officer was separated from a known serial killer by an impassable chain link fence and the killer was fleeing but unarmed, if the killers escape appears likely, the officer is well within his rights and compelled by his duty to kill him dead DESPITE no one being immediately at risk.
Yes, a serious risk to other people. I'm not sure why you feel the need to spout hysterics over this. A serial killer is somebody that could reasonably be construed to be an immediate risk to people. However, say, an average murder suspect cannot, unless there is very good evidence to presume that other people are at risk. Without clear risk, then Garner doesn't apply. My point with "involved" is to restrict matters to people that the suspect is likely to hurt. After all, you couldn't shoot somebody on the grounds that they might be trying to murder people who testified against them if they have no history of violent behavior and have not expressed the desire to do so.
According to the article this person has:
the radical Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who is believed to have shifted from encouraging attacks on the United States to directly participating in them

Emphasis mine.

This charge puts him in a level of dangerousness of that or higher than a serial killer.
If the charge is accurate, moron. Without any evidence, then we can't apply Garner either way. Do you believe that classified evidence is good for the courts? Because it isn't, you know.
They also can't preemptively decide to kill people, either. I also have problems with the idea that we should just toss rule of law out whenever.

Given that the article states that international law allows for this and evidence has been shown that lethal force is allowed under U.S. law. Please cite the appropriate law being "thrown out" It appears the law BEING obeyed is the authorization of deadly force applied under the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Tennessee v. Garner ruled that deadly force is considered a "seizure". The parameters of this scenario being discussed are that less intrusive means are NOT available but deadly force is possible. If he is killed dead all that need be proven is that he is:
A)Dangerous
B)Was unable to be captured at the time deadly force was applied and his escape was likely. (I.e. reasonable less intrusive means are not available as prescribed by TvG)

Therefore a seizure is being performed using the requirements of the Constitution.

The only other requirement of TvG is that might apply is:
where [471 U.S. 1, 12] feasible, some warning has been given.
Noting that it states only when FEASIBLE, but you could also consider a public authorization by the President to use deadly force akin to an officer shouting "You will be fired upon" as a warning to meet Constitutional requirements.
I'm just going to stop this right here. Soldiers (unless they are MPs) are not officers of the law. Nor are intelligence agents. Garner doesn't apply to anyone but officers of law. Therefore, it is invalid unless the FBI or MPs are being used for this operation. Further, provide the treaty that indicates that assassination is perfectly legal.
Simply reducing this to "do you prefer laws or lives?" is a truly ugly black-and-white fallacy. Ideally, I would prefer holding to the rule of law and using military force. If the cleric is a lawful combatant, then I don't have a problem if he gets shot, but prove that he is. He has not taken up arms or engaged in active hostilities with American forces, unless we want to allow the Chinese government to legally assassinate people who speak in favor of Tibetan independence, since they are engaging in the same kind of "hostilities". In other words, the man could be a legitimate military target, but if he is not, then this is nothing more than the President of the US authorizing murder in the first degree. I'm sure that most presidents have done so before, thanks to the CIA and OSS, but intelligence agencies ignoring laws that they don't like is no great surprise.
Threats of violence ARE NOT protected by the Constitution and if your means and ability to carry out such threats is reasonable then the use of deadly force against you is more likely than someone deemed unable to carry out such threats.
Also, why are you ignoring the part of the article that claims he is now actively participated in attacks? Please provide evidence against that of the claims made by the counter terrorism officials cited in the OP. If you have some, you could very well save this man’s life.
"Fighting words", which is the aspect you are talking about, is something that is of dubious enforceability in many cases. See the problems with people phrasing homophobic or racist speeches in such a way as to avoid prosecution while still stirring their supporters to violence. You also have a paltry grasp of logic, but that is unsurprising for someone who would use three exclamation points without irony. You see, the problem here is that the onus is not on me to prove a negative, much like how I cannot go faster than the speed of light, or be in two places at the same time, or fulfill any other impossibility. I am constrained by logical principles. The counterterrorism officials have the burden of presenting the evidence of the man participating in violent attacks upon American or allied forces. I do not have the burden of showing that he did not. If they can present such evidence (not to the public, of course, because it would inevitably be classified, but to the courts or to the government, then he is a legitimate military target and I have no complaint.

However, unfortunately for your argument, Tennessee v. Garner does not apply in either situation. If he is a legitimate military target, then there is no need for justification and few involved would be police officers. If he is not a legitimate military target, then he is not an immediate danger to other people, and therefore he cannot be killed under Tennessee v. Garner.
Enough with this "against the law" "unconstitutional" bullshit. Put up or shut up when citing the laws. If you have relevant case law regarding these issues PLEASE FUCKING PROVIDE it. I'm no legal scholar but what I and a couple others have managed to provide appears to trump your simple assertions. I will gladly concede if you can find other cases that demonstrate any applicable laws are being broken that meet the assumed criteria of the circumstances being discussed.

But if you cannot, then I demand you concede the points regarding the legal claims you have made.
I am solely using the fifth amendment's due process clause (and by extension the fourteenth) and the case of Tennessee v. Garner. You are simply interpreting Tennessee v. Garner is such a way that it would allow police officers to murder KKK and Neo-Nazi leaders on the grounds that they are likely to incite deadly violence. If you have some reason to believe, such as case law or a statute, that "fighting words" carries the death penalty or is chargeable as conspiracy to murder/battery, then you would have a point. Unfortunately, the main point is that Garner doesn't apply to the military (except MPs) nor to the intelligence services.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
jcow79
Padawan Learner

Post by jcow79 »

Bakustra wrote:Yes, a serious risk to other people.
I’m sorry. I had no idea there are no other people in Yemen. Or that a person armed with explosives FROM Yemen couldn’t board a plane to another country and attempt to blow up people with their amazing-exploding-underoos.

As a matter of fact in that CNN article it claims that until recently most of the attacks from these guys were done IN YEMEN and Saudi Arabia. Not a threat to others my ass, you callous fuck. In case you are unaware, terrorists pretty much by their definition ARE A SERIOUS RISK TO OTHER PEOPLE.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to spout hysterics over this.
Because you and others have over and over again claimed illegality and unconstitutionality and IGNORED that evidence has been provided over and over again against this claim. If you want to stop your legal claims and just stick to the morality of “Killing is bad, mmmmkay” by all means.
A serial killer is somebody that could reasonably be construed to be an immediate risk to people. However, say, an average murder suspect cannot, unless there is very good evidence to presume that other people are at risk. Without clear risk, then Garner doesn't apply.
Clear risk does apply as I’ve mentioned above. Shall we call that your concession? This ENTIRE argument has been under the premise that clear evidence exists demonstrating this person’s dangerousness. This is an argument about the legality of a kill-or-capture order applied to an American citizen. I have not once argued that this policy should be used if less intrusive means could be reasonably employed. (Ie. a capture only order)
My point with "involved" is to restrict matters to people that the suspect is likely to hurt.
Potential people likely to be hurt: Americans in Yemen, Westerners in Yemen, Yemeni’s working for or supportive of Western interests, innocent Yemeni’s or foreigners that may be aboard planes or in buildings that are targeted by AQ in the Arabian Peninsula. In case you are also unaware, this group has not only carried out attacks but also TOOK RESPONSIBILTY for such attacks. I don’t know what further evidence you need of a person’s dangerousness other than someone that not only carries out such attacks but wants everyone to know it as well.
After all, you couldn't shoot somebody on the grounds that they might be trying to murder people who testified against them if they have no history of violent behavior and have not expressed the desire to do so.

Red herring. This does not apply as we have clearly laid out that the criteria is that this person has committed or intends to commit violent acts as described in the article. It is EXACTLY the criteria claimed by the intelligence official cited in the article.
If the charge is accurate, moron. Without any evidence, then we can't apply Garner either way. Do you believe that classified evidence is good for the courts? Because it isn't, you know.
This has been agreed upon this entire thread. Please keep up. And calling me a moron when not addressing my argument is an ad hominem attack.
I'm just going to stop this right here. Soldiers (unless they are MPs) are not officers of the law. Nor are intelligence agents. Garner doesn't apply to anyone but officers of law. Therefore, it is invalid unless the FBI or MPs are being used for this operation. Further, provide the treaty that indicates that assassination is perfectly legal.
The relevance of TvG in this scenario is the definition provided by the SCOTUS that lethal force is a method of “seizure” And seizure is permitted by the Constitution. It is considered the highest form of seizure. And therefore there is of course onus to provide evidence of its necessity.
"Fighting words", which is the aspect you are talking about, is something that is of dubious enforceability in many cases. See the problems with people phrasing homophobic or racist speeches in such a way as to avoid prosecution while still stirring their supporters to violence.
Red herring. I have made no claims of “fighting words”. And I suspect you are confusing “Fighting words” which are words that provoke others to violence vs. actual threats of violence. Fighting words ARE a grey area regarding 1st Amendment rights. Verbal threats are not. A verbal threat can serve as evidence if deadly force is used. I would not suggest using evidence that relied solely on verbal threats, but it will surely help support a defense of lethal force.
You also have a paltry grasp of logic, but that is unsurprising for someone who would use three exclamation points without irony.
Ad hominem and non sequitur. How is my grammar related to my logic? Provide evidence.

So far in this thread you have:
1)Out right lied.
2)Used numerous logical fallacies.

Please continue.
You see, the problem here is that the onus is not on me to prove a negative, much like how I cannot go faster than the speed of light, or be in two places at the same time, or fulfill any other impossibility. I am constrained by logical principles. The counterterrorism officials have the burden of presenting the evidence of the man participating in violent attacks upon American or allied forces. I do not have the burden of showing that he did not. If they can present such evidence (not to the public, of course, because it would inevitably be classified, but to the courts or to the government, then he is a legitimate military target and I have no complaint.
You are obsessed with an argument that no one but yourself is having. No one is arguing lethal force without evidence is legal. Your argument RELIES solely that no evidence exists therefore making it illegal. You are making the positive claim because the parameters of this debate are that evidence exists. You are trying to reframe the debate insisting no evidence exists. Therefore onus is on you. The information is not impossible to obtain. Just difficult. I would suggest taking up a more defensible position. I’ll throw you a bone. “Killing is bad, mmmkay” I won’t argue with that one.
However, unfortunately for your argument, Tennessee v. Garner does not apply in either situation. If he is a legitimate military target, then there is no need for justification and few involved would be police officers. If he is not a legitimate military target, then he is not an immediate danger to other people, and therefore he cannot be killed under Tennessee v. Garner.
TvG is relevant to refute the claim made over and over that the government cannot kill an American without due process. I have proven this patently false. It also creates very important precedent about the definition of “seizure” which as I’ve also mentioned lethal force falls under that definition.

Are you now arguing that U.S. forces outside the U.S. do not have the right of seizure if they encounter American’s and have probable cause?
I am solely using the fifth amendment's due process clause (and by extension the fourteenth) and the case of Tennessee v. Garner. You are simply interpreting Tennessee v. Garner is such a way that it would allow police officers to murder KKK and Neo-Nazi leaders on the grounds that they are likely to incite deadly violence. If you have some reason to believe, such as case law or a statute, that "fighting words" carries the death penalty or is chargeable as conspiracy to murder/battery, then you would have a point. Unfortunately, the main point is that Garner doesn't apply to the military (except MPs) nor to the intelligence services.
Ok, you are a fucking moron. Let me explain to you why. You are using JACK & SHIT from the Constitution. You have provided not one citation despite repeated request. (Not a logical fallacy but a breach of board decorum to say the least.) This discussion is about someone likely to CAUSE deadly violence, not about someone to INCITE deadly violence. And although TvG was a result of local law enforcement, it still provided 4th Amendment definition of lethal force. Do you now claim that the 4th Amendment does not apply to the military or intelligence services? It’s called precedent.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Bakustra wrote: What? Re-read the Garner test. US police are only allowed to use deadly force when there is a serious risk to other people involved. It's part of US law. They also can't preemptively decide to kill people, either. I also have problems with the idea that we should just toss rule of law out whenever. Simply reducing this to "do you prefer laws or lives?" is a truly ugly black-and-white fallacy. Ideally, I would prefer holding to the rule of law and using military force. If the cleric is a lawful combatant, then I don't have a problem if he gets shot, but prove that he is.
How about you re-read TvG. Your reiteration of TvG leaves only two possibilities. 1 - You're being dishonest. 2 - You failed to understand the ruling.
He has not taken up arms or engaged in active hostilities with American forces, unless we want to allow the Chinese government to legally assassinate people who speak in favor of Tibetan independence, since they are engaging in the same kind of "hostilities". In other words, the man could be a legitimate military target, but if he is not, then this is nothing more than the President of the US authorizing murder in the first degree. I'm sure that most presidents have done so before, thanks to the CIA and OSS, but intelligence agencies ignoring laws that they don't like is no great surprise.
According to the article the subject in the OP is actively taking part in terrorist operations. This thread is addressing the concerns whether it is legal for the United States government to issue a capture or kill order for one of their own citizens due to the constitution of the united states. TvG demonstrates that it is constitutional. The Geneva convention definitions classify the subject in the OP as a unlawful combatant and therefore valid targets. Specifically identifying a criminal to be targeted is no different than a specifically identifying general or your run of the mill commissioned officer being targeted by enemy forces.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Bakustra wrote: Yes, a serious risk to other people. I'm not sure why you feel the need to spout hysterics over this. A serial killer is somebody that could reasonably be construed to be an immediate risk to people. However, say, an average murder suspect cannot, unless there is very good evidence to presume that other people are at risk. Without clear risk, then Garner doesn't apply. My point with "involved" is to restrict matters to people that the suspect is likely to hurt. After all, you couldn't shoot somebody on the grounds that they might be trying to murder people who testified against them if they have no history of violent behavior and have not expressed the desire to do so.
He's not spouting hysterics. It does appear like you're being dishonest because you have incorrectly reiterated TvG when the conclusion was spelled out in pretty plain basic english. This is why the serial killer analogy was used to facilitate your understanding because a serial killer is basically a mass murderer.
Wow. I still can't decide if you are being dishonest or if you are just not that intelligent.

This discussion started because people felt that this was illegal either due to international law or a violation of the constitution of the United States because the target happens to be a US citizen. Now, the article claims that the Geneva convention allows for the killing of persons who are deemed dangerous. TvG was brought up to show that it is constitutional if certain criteria are met, which they are in our subjects case (if the information is accurate).
"Fighting words", which is the aspect you are talking about, is something that is of dubious enforceability in many cases. See the problems with people phrasing homophobic or racist speeches in such a way as to avoid prosecution while still stirring their supporters to violence. You also have a paltry grasp of logic, but that is unsurprising for someone who would use three exclamation points without irony. You see, the problem here is that the onus is not on me to prove a negative, much like how I cannot go faster than the speed of light, or be in two places at the same time, or fulfill any other impossibility. I am constrained by logical principles. The counterterrorism officials have the burden of presenting the evidence of the man participating in violent attacks upon American or allied forces. I do not have the burden of showing that he did not. If they can present such evidence (not to the public, of course, because it would inevitably be classified, but to the courts or to the government, then he is a legitimate military target and I have no complaint.
You are an idiot. You don't even know what the discussion is about. This discussion is based off the assumption that the intel is accurate. The subject of the discussion is whether or not it is constitutional under US law to kill a US citizen, and whether or not that is legal under international law.

Though that does look like a concession at least on the grounds of what we're actually discussing.
You should go back and just reread the whole thread because you have no idea what you're talking about right now.
I'm curious if you feel that TvG doesn't apply under your understanding of this discussion then why would the 5th amendment? You do know that TvG was a Supreme Court decision that helped clarify what seizure is under the fourth amendment and what limits and authority police have in situations involving dangerous criminals.

Now, it seems like you want to get away from US law, and move into international law because you believe it fits the situation best for the OP subject. Our OP subject falls into the Geneva Convention definition for unlawful combatant as is therefore subject to military action. He has been deemed a participant in terrorist operations and is therefore a enemy military asset. His destruction is completely legal just like any other military chain of command personnel.

No idiot. Jesus H Christ. This is exactly why the serial killer analogy was used. Because they actively plan and kill people. If the intel is to be believed then the subject in the OP is actively planning and killing people.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Bakustra wrote: Yes, a serious risk to other people. I'm not sure why you feel the need to spout hysterics over this. A serial killer is somebody that could reasonably be construed to be an immediate risk to people. However, say, an average murder suspect cannot, unless there is very good evidence to presume that other people are at risk. Without clear risk, then Garner doesn't apply. My point with "involved" is to restrict matters to people that the suspect is likely to hurt. After all, you couldn't shoot somebody on the grounds that they might be trying to murder people who testified against them if they have no history of violent behavior and have not expressed the desire to do so.
He's not spouting hysterics. It does appear like you're being dishonest because you have incorrectly reiterated TvG when the conclusion was spelled out in pretty plain basic english. This is why the serial killer analogy was used to facilitate your understanding because a serial killer is basically a mass murderer.

Okay. The decision requires that it be a reasonable threat. A serial killer is a reasonable threat to other individuals. The problem is that we appear to differ on what is considered reasonable. So tell me, what is this magic part of Garner that extends it to the armed forces in general, or that defines reasonable to include virtually any suspect? Because I read through the decision again, and it does not say that as far as I can tell. Indeed, it even implies that the use of deadly force should be limited primarily to suspects associated with violent crimes.
Wow. I still can't decide if you are being dishonest or if you are just not that intelligent.

This discussion started because people felt that this was illegal either due to international law or a violation of the constitution of the United States because the target happens to be a US citizen. Now, the article claims that the Geneva convention allows for the killing of persons who are deemed dangerous. TvG was brought up to show that it is constitutional if certain criteria are met, which they are in our subjects case (if the information is accurate).
Garner applies to officers of the law, unless you have a later decision extending it to the armed services. Therefore, if the intelligence is right, the man in question is engaged in war against the US, and therefore Garner is irrelevant, as he becomes a combatant.
You are an idiot. You don't even know what the discussion is about. This discussion is based off the assumption that the intel is accurate. The subject of the discussion is whether or not it is constitutional under US law to kill a US citizen, and whether or not that is legal under international law.

Though that does look like a concession at least on the grounds of what we're actually discussing.
Ah, thank you, officer! I had no idea that I was violating the bounds of Internet law. I'll be more careful in the future.Sarcasm aside, your idea of what the thread is about has the problem that the US goverment is divided into segments. I am unaware, for example, of any part of US law (unless there is some sort of encrypted message in the text of Garner applying to the intelligence services) that would allow the CIA to legally kill anyone, US citizen or no (though perhaps the Geneva Conventions cover this). The armed forces can, if the conditions are right, and so can police forces and the courts. In other words, we don't really disagree (and if you decide to read that as a concession, I can't stop you, but that would be an inaccurate reading. Concession implies that we had a major difference to begin with.) except on whether Garner applies to the armed forces or not.
You should go back and just reread the whole thread because you have no idea what you're talking about right now.
So what, precisely, is wrong with my statement, then?
I'm curious if you feel that TvG doesn't apply under your understanding of this discussion then why would the 5th amendment? You do know that TvG was a Supreme Court decision that helped clarify what seizure is under the fourth amendment and what limits and authority police have in situations involving dangerous criminals.

Now, it seems like you want to get away from US law, and move into international law because you believe it fits the situation best for the OP subject. Our OP subject falls into the Geneva Convention definition for unlawful combatant as is therefore subject to military action. He has been deemed a participant in terrorist operations and is therefore a enemy military asset. His destruction is completely legal just like any other military chain of command personnel.
My legal argument from the fifth amendment is as follows:

The fifth amendment states that "no one may be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law".
Therefore the US government (and State governments with the fourteenth) cannot kill you without going through some legal process to do so.
Tennessee v. Garner, as part of the legal implications, indicates that killing a fleeing suspect can fulfill the condition of due process
if he is in danger of killing or severely harming other people if let to escape, or other situations where the reasonable option is to kill the suspect.
It also indicates that this is easier to fulfill in the case of violent crimes.
The majority of the US armed forces and intelligence services are not empowered to make arrests beyond the ability of the average citizen to do so, including the frontline troops and agents who would be involved in this affair.
The accused cleric, if he is indeed guilty, is guilty of planning violent crimes, indeed multiple murders. However, he is also charged simultaneously of being a member or associate of groups at war with the US. Therefore, he falls under the Geneva Convention definition of a combatant, and is therefore a legitimate target.
Therefore, the Garner test is irrelevant.
No idiot. Jesus H Christ. This is exactly why the serial killer analogy was used. Because they actively plan and kill people. If the intel is to be believed then the subject in the OP is actively planning and killing people.
Pardon me for wanting intelligence agencies to provide evidence before being authorized to assassinate an individual. Anything that applied Garner to the cleric which did not make him a combatant would also apply to people who incite riots and potentially to people who support independence/resistance movements around the world. My apologies, because I was unaware that we were trusting the US intelligence services sight unseen.
jcow79
Padawan Learner

Post by jcow79 »

Bakustra wrote:Okay. The decision requires that it be a reasonable threat. A serial killer is a reasonable threat to other individuals. The problem is that we appear to differ on what is considered reasonable.

What about terrorism do you not consider to be a reasonable threat? It is easily more of a threat than a serial killer because of the magnitude of their attacks, the large global scale they occur on, and the amount of people involved in carrying them out. Sheer body count alone should be some indication. This isn’t even accounting for their propensity to go down shooting or blowing themselves up. How many serial killers have their own armed militias? Many terrorists do.
So tell me, what is this magic part of Garner that extends it to the armed forces in general, or that defines reasonable to include virtually any suspect?
More evidence you have not been following this thread thoroughly and just sniping out of context.

Early on, this thread devolved into a debate regarding this mans magical protection of American citizenship, claims of additional constitutional protections, and comparisons to criminals within the U.S. My argument has been a systematic dismantling of those arguments. And it was you that that requested evidence of my previous claims WHICH I provided AND highlighted relevant citations and you responded by spewing utter lazy, dishonest, trolling diarrhea all over the thread. It’s one thing to demand evidence, it’s another to not even read what’s provided and then try to mischaracterize it with idiocy, fallacies, and lies.

Also, I will add, that military forces quite often are acting in law enforcement type capacities abroad. The Posse Comitatus Act is the only restriction that I can think of and is full of exceptions and only applies WITHIN the United States. You can assume when they encounter Americans abroad that Constitutional challenges might come up so using settled case law might be used as precedent for challenges that aren’t already covered by international law and laws governing military/intelligence operators. It’s not magic, it’s elementary my dear Watson.
Because I read through the decision again,
Yeah, I covered your lazy and dishonest tactics. Thanks for finally making an effort at reading what you requested I provide and back peddling the fuck over the mountain of feces you left in your wake.
and it does not say that as far as I can tell. Indeed, it even implies that the use of deadly force should be limited primarily to suspects associated with violent crimes.
The decision does in fact narrow the use of deadly force, but not so much that precludes it in the scenario being discussed, especially as a source for precedent.
Garner applies to officers of the law, unless you have a later decision extending it to the armed services. Therefore, if the intelligence is right, the man in question is engaged in war against the US, and therefore Garner is irrelevant, as he becomes a combatant.
Again you’re proving you have not been following, or at least not understanding the thread. This has ALL been covered. Is your strategy to make us repeat ourselves over and over again so we give up? Both international laws AND domestic laws have been discussed because the topic has covered the gamut.
His nationality has raised some discussion on this issue, hence this thread. Seriously, did you read the whole thread?

My legal argument from the fifth amendment is as follows:

The fifth amendment states that "no one may be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law".
Therefore the US government (and State governments with the fourteenth) cannot kill you without going through some legal process to do so.
Tennessee v. Garner, as part of the legal implications, indicates that killing a fleeing suspect can fulfill the condition of due process
if he is in danger of killing or severely harming other people if let to escape, or other situations where the reasonable option is to kill the suspect.
It also indicates that this is easier to fulfill in the case of violent crimes.
Cthulhu be praised! You did finally read it!
The majority of the US armed forces and intelligence services are not empowered to make arrests beyond the ability of the average citizen to do so, including the frontline troops and agents who would be involved in this affair.
Case law and citation, please. Our troops have been acting in this very fashion for quite some time.
The accused cleric, if he is indeed guilty, is guilty of planning violent crimes, indeed multiple murders. However, he is also charged simultaneously of being a member or associate of groups at war with the US. Therefore, he falls under the Geneva Convention definition of a combatant, and is therefore a legitimate target.
Therefore, the Garner test is irrelevant.

Fucking hell, was it that hard to concede the fucking drivel you’ve been spewing? That is exactly what’s been stated from the beginning but the man’s American citizenship prompted further examination. You among others have been shouting, “Illegal!! Illegal Illegal!!!”<---(3x exclamation points out of spite) since the beginning of this debate and only now at the end, do you understand…
Pardon me for wanting intelligence agencies to provide evidence before being authorized to assassinate an individual. Anything that applied Garner to the cleric which did not make him a combatant would also apply to people who incite riots and potentially to people who support independence/resistance movements around the world. My apologies, because I was unaware that we were trusting the US intelligence services sight unseen.
…or not.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Dana Priest reported in January that there are possibly 3 other American citizens on the kill list.

It's a secret kill list, mind you, as even this whole al-Awlaki thing was only confirmed anonymously quite recently. We don't know the other Americans on the list.

Secret kill list based on an unaccountably determined level of threat, secret "careful procedures" replacing due process, no outside review of course, because any review will be tried to be quashed on national security grounds. Even if someone likes the concept here, can't you imagine anything wrong with this structure?

Anyway, I am not impressed by the threat posed by a group whose single most effective attack involved catastrophic and teeth-gnashingly obvious levels of stumblebummery and incompetence on the parts of those entrusted to stop them. They're not, like, X-men. They pose no existential threat to us. We survived Nazis and nuclear peril, they strap bombs to their underwear.
jcow79
Padawan Learner

Post by jcow79 »

Anyway, I am not impressed by the threat posed by a group whose single most effective attack involved catastrophic and teeth-gnashingly obvious levels of stumblebummery and incompetence on the parts of those entrusted to stop them. They're not, like, X-men. They pose no existential threat to us. We survived Nazis and nuclear peril, they strap bombs to their underwear.
These jokers have claimed attacks in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Don't be so quick to dismiss the danger posed to the poor brown people in those countries. The attempt on the plane was said to actually be evidence of the advancement of their capability. Not an "existential threat to us" but a threat none the less. You'll remember their affiliate group out of Afghanistan managed quite a blow on us back in 2001.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

jcow79 wrote:
These jokers have claimed attacks in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Don't be so quick to dismiss the danger posed to the poor brown people in those countries. The attempt on the plane was said to actually be evidence of the advancement of their capability. Not an "existential threat to us" but a threat none the less. You'll remember their affiliate group out of Afghanistan managed quite a blow on us back in 2001.
Why should my personal guarantee of due process rights as a US citizen be affected at all by the insecurity of other countries? Particularly when notable US failures to combat said entity (9/11) are usually attributable to lack of execution of existing powers, not lack of scope?

Of course, not even Yemen appears to know yet that we'd be saving them from a terrorist:
link
But Yemeni authorities said on Saturday that they had not received any evidence from the US to support allegations that the US-born al-Awlaki is recruiting for an al-Qaeda offshoot in Yemen.

"Anwar al-Awlaki has always been looked at as a preacher rather than a terrorist and shouldn't be considered as a terrorist unless the Americans have evidence that he has been involved in terrorism," Abu Bakr al-Qirbi, the Yemeni foreign minister, said.
Whatever anxiety I'm supposed to feel from periodic death counts in the low to mid teens in countries with weak governments (Yemen, Saudi Arabia) followed by Big Events (London, Bali, Mumbai) in the low hundreds, pales in comparison to trusting a President with untrammeled secret fiat to dispatch his perceived enemies of America. Those words sure sound silly to write, but I'd really like to know where that assessment goes wrong; I'd sleep better at night.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: According to the article the subject in the OP is actively taking part in terrorist operations.
Why the hell should anyone believe that? Because the good people from The Government say so? Yeah, I don't think so. The reason this assassination program is so odious is because it targets for assassination on the basis of completely unsubstantiated claims from unaccountable bureaucrats, and the victim has no redress in a court of law so that he can, you know, actually challenge the charges being put to him.

LMSx has it absolutely right - its amazing people are willing to accept this sort of dictatorial power being invested in an executive.

As for the Geneva conventions:-
The Geneva convention definitions classify the subject in the OP as a unlawful combatant
???? The Geneva Convention makes no mention of "unlawful combatant" whatsoever. That is a load of Rumsfeldian hogwash, invented for American convenience several years ago (the term is much older than that, of course, but it has little if anything to do with the Geneva Conventions).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/