U.S. officials: Saddam possibly captured(Offical Thread)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Solauren wrote:Better yet. Didn't he challenge George W Bush to a duel?
Bush vs. Hussein, Shrubby chooses the weapon.

Come on, who wouldn't want to see something like that? :wink:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Melkor
Padawan Learner

Post by Melkor »

How bout drawing and quartering?

Oh, but that would be murder. :roll:
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

3rd Impact wrote:
Solauren wrote:Better yet. Didn't he challenge George W Bush to a duel?
Bush vs. Hussein, Shrubby chooses the weapon.

Come on, who wouldn't want to see something like that? :wink:
Now that's the kind of Regime Change we can all get behind. :)
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Find a bunch of everyday Iraqis. Let them take whatever improvised weapons they want. Lock them in a room with Saddam.

Thirty minutes later, let them out.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Well, the good news is, we don't have to worry about that fucktard anymore. Bad news is that Bush'll win the election now. We also have to eye street bums with suspicision.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

The troops did a bang-up job. Good for them.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Aya wrote:Well, the good news is, we don't have to worry about that fucktard anymore. Bad news is that Bush'll win the election now. We also have to eye street bums with suspicision.
Wow, you really can't be happy about anything can you?
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

No, it's not decided yet. A lot can happen in a year's time. But to say that the Democrats suddenly have a much more difficult road ahead of them now would be an understatement.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I am happy that scum has been captured... but it also makes me sad, because now Shrubbies poularity may(will) rise, and that might mean another 4 fucking years.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Stormbringer wrote:
Aya wrote:Well, the good news is, we don't have to worry about that fucktard anymore. Bad news is that Bush'll win the election now. We also have to eye street bums with suspicision.
Wow, you really can't be happy about anything can you?
Well, a few nights with Zaia would do it. :wink: :P
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

Good job troops.
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I am happy that scum has been captured... but it also makes me sad, because now Shrubbies poularity may(will) rise, and that might mean another 4 fucking years.
And you guys wonder why people suspect the democrats want the economy to tank and Iraq to turn into another Vietnam.
The Third Man
Jedi Knight

Post by The Third Man »

Solaureen wrote: Better yet. Didn't he challenge George W Bush to a duel?
Yes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2297371.stm
October 2002, Iraqi VP offered Bush out on Saddam's behalf.

On topic:

To me the politician Bremer's "we got him" sounds horribly triumphal, crass and ill-advised compared to the statesmanlike comment from the military's Lieutenant General Ricardo Sanchez: "This success brings closure to the Iraqi people. Saddam Hussein will never return to a position of power from which he can punish, terrorise, intimidate and exploit the Iraqi people as he did for more than 35 years."
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Stormbringer wrote: And you guys wonder why people suspect the democrats want the economy to tank and Iraq to turn into another Vietnam.
That's your opinion, as opposed to the fact that neocons want to invade half the middle east to persue their agendas.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Well, this is gonna get ugly real fast, so I'm gonna jet.

Also, Lieberman slams Dean:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003 ... 0816.shtml

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Stormbringer wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:I am happy that scum has been captured... but it also makes me sad, because now Shrubbies poularity may(will) rise, and that might mean another 4 fucking years.
And you guys wonder why people suspect the democrats want the economy to tank and Iraq to turn into another Vietnam.
Well, It is I suppose, a bittersweet victory.

On the one hand, we capured an evil dictator. On the other hand, we have a president, who likes to take correction fluid to the constitution, and because we caught this dictator, the chnces of giving the president more "editing time" are increased.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Joe wrote:Well, this is gonna get ugly real fast, so I'm gonna jet.

Also, Lieberman slams Dean:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003 ... 0816.shtml
1) You'll always be Durran Durran to me, never Joe
2) Newsmax
3) Lieberman is just echoing what every rightwing pundit has said already
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

This is the death knell for most of the guerillas.
Promises of "Remain loyal and Saddam shall reward you richly when you return to power" undoubtedly kept a lot of them.
Now how will they maintain loyalty?
Whoever's coordinating the attacks (IIRC, they said Saddam didn't appear to be doing that) might try to replace Saddam when they drive out the coalition (yeah, that'll happen) but does he have access to Saddam's funds? Does this guerilla leader have the authority and aura of terror Saddam wove around himself? I give the attacks a year or two more.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. A good day indeed. Now who brought the honey and the ants?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

I really wish good old Baghdad Bob would comment on this.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:I really wish good old Baghdad Bob would comment on this.
The Americans never touched our glorious leader! He committed honourable suicide at the gates of Baghdad!
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Saddam should be hanged, and taking a page from Iran it should be done using a crane so that we can drive the body around and repeated the process around the country.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Setzer wrote:This is the death knell for most of the guerillas.
Promises of "Remain loyal and Saddam shall reward you richly when you return to power" undoubtedly kept a lot of them.
Now how will they maintain loyalty?
Whoever's coordinating the attacks (IIRC, they said Saddam didn't appear to be doing that) might try to replace Saddam when they drive out the coalition (yeah, that'll happen) but does he have access to Saddam's funds? Does this guerilla leader have the authority and aura of terror Saddam wove around himself? I give the attacks a year or two more.
My guess is that they will intensify within the next month or two, then start to die down.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Come now people, happy faces, an evil man has been captured, an evil man with quite alot of knowledge about Saddam evil plans, mostley because he is Saddam

And as for the complaints about the President, Legaly I can't comment about that(Thou shall not speak Evil of the Commander in Chief or something like that)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Amnesty weighs in:

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGMDE141812003

I found this quote to be particularly amusing:
"We are particularly concerned that the Iraqi Penal Code provides for the death penalty for crimes under the jurisdiction of the tribunal," said Amnesty International.
Heh heh heh heh...