UKRAINE WAR - 1 YEAR AND GOING.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: UKRAINE WAR - 1 YEAR AND GOING.

Post by LadyTevar »

LaCroix wrote: 2023-11-18 07:56am
They lost all reserves in the south, it's becoming so bad that Ukraine forces managed to sneak a handful people across a couple of miles into Kopani, overwhelm the sleepy guards with no nightvision, and then get into the barracks, empty their mags into the sleeping men, toss a few granades, and scamper off into the dark...
This is news to me, I'd not heard anything about this kind of raid made on Russian troops.

Slowly, they are running out of options, we just need to keep Ukraine supplied and in the loop. Thankfully, all European partners are stepping up, especially Germany. Hopefully, the US can be brought "online" again, the new speaker is so in love with israel that he will surely budge to give Ukraine aid, if that is needed to fund israel.
I'd not trust the new speaker to tie his own shoes without the "Freedom Caucus" pissing all over them. That whole House is fucked.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Russian Snitches
Snitching, or reporting neighbours, colleagues and even strangers to the authorities, was common in Russia's Soviet era. Now, as the government cracks down on critics of the Ukraine war, people with personal grudges and political ideals are denouncing others once again.

"I was taught how to snitch by my grandfather who was a snitch himself," claims a woman who goes by the name of Anna Korobkova. She says she lives in a large Russian city but refuses to say which one.
But she does say her grandfather was an anonymous informant for the Soviet secret police during Stalin's reign, when denunciations were part of everyday life, and she's following in his footsteps. Now, she is reporting anyone she thinks is a critic of the war in Ukraine.

Self-confessed serial snitch
Korobkova claims to have written 1,397 denunciations since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine. She says people have been fined, fired and labelled as foreign agents because of her denunciations.

"I do not feel sorry for them," she reveals. "I feel joy if they are punished because of my denunciations."

New censorship laws were introduced shortly after the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. Since then, Korobkova has spent most of her free time online, often reporting people for "discrediting the Russian army" - an offence that carries a fine of up to 50,000 roubles ($560; £450) or up to five years' imprisonment if it is committed more than twice.

Korobkova is very cautious about talking to me and will only communicate via email. She does not want to show her face and refuses to provide proof of her identity. She says this is because she frequently receives death threats and fears her information could get hacked or stolen.

She seems to have two motives for snitching on her fellow citizens. Firstly, she tells me she believes she is helping Russia defeat Ukraine and, secondly, she thinks it will help protect her own financial stability. She lives alone and works part-time as a humanities professor, relying heavily on her savings. But Korobkova fears Russia could end up paying reparations if the conflict goes Ukraine's way and that could affect the finances of the whole country and everyone who lives there.

"All those who oppose the special military operation are rivals of my own wellbeing," she explains, predicting a win for Ukraine would be a loss for her. "I could lose all my savings and would have to get a full-time job."

Since the new censorship laws were introduced, more than 8,000 cases have been opened against people for discrediting the army, according to independent Russian human rights group OVD-Info.
The Article talks with a couple of people who were snitched upon, two who Korobkova herself ratted out.

Funny how Korobkova ratted people out for "Talking with Foriegn Press" but seemed eager to brag to BBC.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Weaponized Karen wrote:"I do not feel sorry for them," she reveals. "I feel joy if they are punished because of my denunciations." ...

"All those who oppose the special military operation are rivals of my own wellbeing," she explains, predicting a win for Ukraine would be a loss for her. "I could lose all my savings and would have to get a full-time job."
Jesus, I work with people like this.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-11-19 04:27pm
Weaponized Karen wrote:"I do not feel sorry for them," she reveals. "I feel joy if they are punished because of my denunciations." ...

It's the sheer Pettiness... the "I want mine, I'll fuck everyone else over to keep mine" attitude that I never understand.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-11-19 11:08am Funny how Korobkova ratted people out for "Talking with Foriegn Press" but seemed eager to brag to BBC.
I think she made it clear that she REALLY loves snitching.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

They lost all reserves in the south, it's becoming so bad that Ukraine forces managed to sneak a handful people across a couple of miles into Kopani, overwhelm the sleepy guards with no nightvision, and then get into the barracks, empty their mags into the sleeping men, toss a few granades, and scamper off into the dark...
I've heard about that raid, but if they knew there was a barracks, wouldn't it have been more efficient and safer to drop a HIMARS on it?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-11-19 04:55pm
Raw Shark wrote: 2023-11-19 04:27pm

It's the sheer Pettiness... the "I want mine, I'll fuck everyone else over to keep mine" attitude that I never understand.
Ruining the lives of thousands of people for her own selfish reasons. She is despicable
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2023-11-19 08:25pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-11-19 11:08am Funny how Korobkova ratted people out for "Talking with Foriegn Press" but seemed eager to brag to BBC.
I think she made it clear that she REALLY loves snitching.
She loves the POWER-TRIP it gives her.

I'm betting she was a pathetic loser/loner who never made much of herself, and her grandfather used to 'live well' from both the kickbacks he got as an informant, and from the little gifts he'd get from people who knew he was an informant and wanted on his good side.
Post Soviet, I'm betting her family was suddenly personna non grata in the village, and she's been resenting how they treated her for decades. Now, she's tripping on the power of being a snitch, just like her grandfather.

She makes it clear in the article that she's know's what she'll lose if Russia falls flat.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

wautd wrote: 2023-11-20 04:58amRuining the lives of thousands of people for her own selfish reasons. She is despicable
Selfish? What kind of monster could expect her to get a full-time job!?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-11-20 12:14pm
wautd wrote: 2023-11-20 04:58amRuining the lives of thousands of people for her own selfish reasons. She is despicable
Yeah that would be pretty horrifying.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ralin wrote: 2023-11-20 12:20pm
Raw Shark wrote: 2023-11-20 12:14pm
Yeah that would be pretty horrifying.
Besides, I'm sure the FSB would be the perfect place for her.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

wautd wrote: 2023-11-20 04:54am
I've heard about that raid, but if they knew there was a barracks, wouldn't it have been more efficient and safer to drop a HIMARS on it?
A tool for every job. HIMARS are great, but if you can get a team with NVGs in there to do it instead, save the missile for a better defended target a few dozen miles back. In this case, I expect the Ukrainians knew there weren't so many Russian troops in the area that the raid couldn't at least pull back when engaged, and so the risk was minimal.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zelensky receives great news from U.S.
In a significant move underscoring its commitment to Ukraine, the United States has announced a substantial $100 million aid package. This announcement came as Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin visited Kyiv, marking a critical moment in U.S.-Ukraine relations.

Key components of the aid package
According to The Hill, the aid package is comprehensive, including 155 millimeter artillery shells, Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, and various small arms ammunition. Additionally, it encompasses Javelin and AT-4 launchers, crucial for Ukraine's defense capabilities in the ongoing conflict.

During his surprise visit to Kyiv, Austin held a press conference where he underscored the importance of this aid. He stated, “The Ukraine military is a learning organization, and it will continue to learn from all of its operations.” Austin emphasized that the aid would bolster Ukrainian troops, particularly in the challenging winter months, ensuring they have the necessary means to succeed.

Challenges in the U.S. legislative process
Despite the U.S.'s firm support for Ukraine, challenges have emerged domestically, particularly in the legislative process. The Republican-controlled House has shown reluctance in passing further Ukraine aid packages, with some conservative members voicing skepticism about ongoing support. This situation has led to a cautious approach by the Pentagon in distributing aid, as they await further legislative decisions that could unlock billions more in support.

Austin, after meeting with new Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), expressed optimism about continued bipartisan support in Congress. He highlighted the global significance of the conflict, stating, “What happens here matters not just to Ukraine, but to the entire world.”

Future plans and international cooperation
Austin's visit also sets the stage for the upcoming Ukraine Defense Contact Group meeting. This meeting, involving over 50 nations, will focus on discussing and taking action to support Ukraine, showcasing the international community's commitment to the embattled nation.

In summary, the U.S.'s latest aid package to Ukraine, coupled with high-level diplomatic engagements, reflects a deepening commitment to supporting Ukraine in its conflict with Russia. However, the path forward involves navigating domestic legislative challenges and fostering international cooperation.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

KraytKing wrote: 2023-11-20 07:04pm
A tool for every job. HIMARS are great, but if you can get a team with NVGs in there to do it instead, save the missile for a better defended target a few dozen miles back. In this case, I expect the Ukrainians knew there weren't so many Russian troops in the area that the raid couldn't at least pull back when engaged, and so the risk was minimal.
More importantly as great as HIMARS are they're expensive, while the exact value of a missile will vary depending on the system, it's still way more then few mags of AK ammo and few hand grenades. If you can do the OP relatively safely with just a cost of few mags and hand grenades then that's the preferred option as that saves missiles for more expensive targets (expensive for Russia that is).

Using your most advanced weapons for everything is a good way to drain your war coffers but lousy for pretty much anything else, the cost of rifle ammo or hand grenades is so low that you generally don't run out of those because you can't afford them, high tech missiles are another matter.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-11-21 03:14am
KraytKing wrote: 2023-11-20 07:04pm

More importantly as great as HIMARS are they're expensive, while the exact value of a missile will vary depending on the system, it's still way more then few mags of AK ammo and few hand grenades. If you can do the OP relatively safely with just a cost of few mags and hand grenades then that's the preferred option as that saves missiles for more expensive targets (expensive for Russia that is).

Using your most advanced weapons for everything is a good way to drain your war coffers but lousy for pretty much anything else, the cost of rifle ammo or hand grenades is so low that you generally don't run out of those because you can't afford them, high tech missiles are another matter.
And if only a few grenades were enough for the job, a HIMARS volley would have probably been overkill anyway. Just the mere presence of the system is forcing the Russians to move their supplies ever further behind their front lines which greatly complicates their already-fragile logistics :twisted:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Russian Actress killed while performing in Donestk?
A Russian actress has been killed in a Ukrainian strike while giving a performance to troops, according to her theatre.
A dance hall in occupied Ukraine where Polina Menshikh was performing was hit by shelling on 19 November.

The actress was reportedly giving a show to celebrate a Russian military holiday.

Ukraine said about 20 Russian soldiers were killed in the strike, but Russian authorities have not commented on this.

Ms Menshikh was giving a performance in a dance hall capable of seating around 150 people, according to local reporting.
A video purporting to show the moment of the strike was uploaded to social media. A woman, apparently Ms Menshikh, is seen on stage singing and playing guitar, before an explosion is heard and the hall's lights go out.

Ms Menshikh died in hospital of her injuries.

Speaking to the BBC's Ukrainian service, a Ukrainian army spokesperson confirmed media reporting of the strike.

Portal, a theatre studio based in St Petersburg associated with Ms Menshikh said an upcoming performance of a play she had previously directed would be dedicated to her memory.

The strike took place around 60km (37 miles) from the front line, in the village of Kumachove.
Kumachove is located in the Donetsk region, in the area of eastern Ukraine occupied by Russia since 2014. Other areas in the Donetsk region have been hotpots of vicious fighting in recent months, particularly the cities of Avdiika and Bakhmut.

Russian pro-war bloggers criticised the organisation of the show. A performance concentrating dozens of soldiers in one place made it an obvious target for a Ukrainian strike, they wrote.
The last line is interesting. I wonder if any of these pro-war bloggers are going to be censored for writing that.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

True - Himars is a great tool for attacking large concentrations far in the back echolons. The arrival of ATACMS missiles, for example made russia move most of their aviation to about 200miles from the contact line, which means that they have doubled their fuel expenses, doubled flight hours, which doubles their maintainnance, and halves the possible sorties per day.

BTW - today, there was a "sudden" loss of power in Moscow city, after a big transformer station burst into flames and after a veritable lightschow of swarcs and arcs, gave up and plunged large parts of the city into darkness for a couple of hours.
No official reason stated, but rumor has it Ukraine has made a statement that people who live in glass houses that become even colder than it gets in Ukraine should reconsider throwing stones.

Also, we all remember the video of people ramming missiles into GRAD launcher tubes via wodden boxes as rams...
Seems the Grenades supplied by North Korea are built to the same eye for detail regarding specifications, just that they are a little too small. Which means they do chamber alright in the cannons, but once they are fired, the gasses leak and "overtake" the projectile...

A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LaCroix wrote: 2023-11-24 02:11pm Also, we all remember the video of people ramming missiles into GRAD launcher tubes via wodden boxes as rams...
Seems the Grenades supplied by North Korea are built to the same eye for detail regarding specifications, just that they are a little too small. Which means they do chamber alright in the cannons, but once they are fired, the gasses leak and "overtake" the projectile...

I thought that was Bugs Bunny physics. Amusing to see they actually do that.

And yes, Russia needs to remember that Ukraine can reach their power-stations now, so hititng infrastructure will get a return strike in kind. I dont' think the Russian populace will be happy to find the military action hitting their own homes.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Two Articles today. You'll have to read them yourselves, too much to CopyPaste

Fierce Arguments over Ukraine Elections
TL:DR Ukraine is supposed to hold Federal Elections in March 2024, including President. This is somewhat difficult, as they're at war, much of their infrastructure where elections are held has been blown up (including schools), and many of their population has been forced to flee, some to countries outside of Ukraine. This makes holding votes in person nearly impossible, because Russia would bomb any large gathering. Ukraine also doesn't have a option for Vote-By-Mail, which is further complicated by the fact voter registration lists have been destroyed by bombing, and they have no good tracking on who fled to what country.
Inside Ukraine, there's a general desire to say "fuck it do it after the war", which is why any attempt to try to set up something FOR after the war is getting slapped down as "Zelensky is wanting ReElected in March!"
And then you have OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE in the form of US GOP Assholes trying to block Ukraine aid by saying "no voting = they're commie fascist bastards and we shouldn't give them money!1!!1" BTW: many of those GOP Assholes claiming this are currently on the campaign trail themselves for the upcoming US Elections.

SECOND ARTICLE:
Mikhail Kasyanov Labelled Foreign Agent
TL:DR Putin's former PM from 2000-2004, Mikhail Kasyanov has been a Putin critic since before the Ukraine invasion. He's now living in exile as of 2022, and his party "the Party of People's Freedom (Parnas)" was liquidated this past May.
What does this mean? TBH, not much, just another attempt to silence a critic so he'd be ignored inside Russia.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

IT happens when you plug a barrel for normal guns, but for artillery, the gasses bypassing and then building up pressure ahead of the grenade can cause the grenade to go off, immediately, on top.

There was a very cold, snowy day in Ukraine (and Russia...)

Russia thought it would be a good day to start the winter campain, and sent 75 Shahed drones and a missile.
Of those, 70+ and the missile have been intercepted , some seem to stil have hit something on the way down, so the number of successes is fluctuating betweed 71 and 74, depending on the source.

Ukraine made good on their promise responded by sending 20 of their domestic long range drones back at Moscow.
Of those, almost all hit their target.

Let's wait and see how long it takes for the message to sink in.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Just a reminder that in Ukraine and Russia, Mother Nature is always the biggest winner:

Snowstorm Causes Massive Damage in Ukraine, Russia

(NOTE -- There are photos in the article of both nations dealing with the snow.
Last Paragraph has link to more info on Russia's airstrike from Saturday that LaCroix mentioned, but doesn't comment on Ukraine's counterattack.
From the sounds of it this was what the US would call a Nor-Easter, a massively dangerous wind/snow cyclone that often hits US/Canada's East Coast.)
Snowstorms and strong winds have left more than 2,000 towns and villages without power across many regions of Ukraine, local officials say.

They say 48 people, including children, have been evacuated from trapped vehicles in the worst-affected Odesa region in the south-west.
At least six people have suffered from hypothermia. Traffic is currently blocked on 14 motorways.

The storm is also battering Moldova, Russia, Georgia and Bulgaria.

In a statement on Monday morning, Ukraine's emergencies service said the bad weather left 2,019 settlements without power in 16 regions of the country.
It said 840 vehicles had to be towed away amid snow drifts reaching more than two metres (6.6ft) in some places. At least 1,370 cargo lorries are currently stuck.

The southern Mykolaiv region is also badly hit.

More than 1,500 rescuers are now deployed across the country in a massive clean-up operation. They are being helped by police, border guards and National Guard members.

In the capital Kyiv, the country's largest flag - measuring 16x24m - had to be taken down from a 90m pole after it was damaged by fierce winds. City officials said the flag would be replaced and raised again.

In Ukraine's southern Crimea peninsula - illegally annexed by Russia in 2014 - Moscow-installed officials reported flooding in coastal areas. Fallen trees and other debris were seen on the streets of several towns.
About 800 exotic fish died when a historic museum-aquarium was destroyed by sea flooding in the port of Sevastopol, the museum director was quoted as saying by a local media outlet.
A state of emergency is now in place in several municipalities in Crimea.

Anton Herashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior ministry, said the storm "washed away trenches in occupied Crimea that Russian army dug out on the beaches".
Russia's military has not commented on the claim.

In Russia's Black Sea city of Sochi, footage has emerged purportedly showing a three-storey building collapsing. No injuries were reported.
Near the town of Anapa, also on the Russian Black Sea coast, a cargo vessel with 21 crew ran aground.
In the capital Moscow, the authorities had to deploy specialist machinery to clear the streets after a heavy snowfall.

The extreme weather comes amid reports that Russia is again preparing massive rocket and drone strikes on Ukraine's power grid and other critical infrastructure.
Last autumn and winter, Moscow carried out waves of such deadly attacks, leaving millions of people across Ukraine without electricity and heating.
Last Saturday, Russia launched its biggest drone strike on Kyiv since its full-scale invasion in February 2022, Ukrainian officials said. They said that 74 out of 75 of Shahed kamikaze drones were shot down around the capital.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Slow day today, due to the severe weather, but the winter is adding problems to the russian army - they lack winter camo. Ukrainian drones have a field day of spotting the dots moving around against the white background.

"Tractor" Plant in Chelabynsk blew up, spectacularily - seems some of the ammo from the to be repaired tanks (or the local production, since these days, any industrial plant in Russia is already mobilized to also produce ammunition of some kind) blew up after a huge fire started "for reasons yet unknown".
That'll hurt like hell, since that particular plant is producing most of the engines used in tanks and BMPs.

Also, someone added up the numbers of the "stalled, failed " Ukrainian summer offensive.
since June14, in the span of 5 months, Ukraine destroyed about 2700 armored vehicles, 1600 tanks, 4300 artillery, 320 mlrs, 250 AA systems, 4000 other vehicles, a submarine, 6 (7, if todays reports prove true) ships, 11 aircraft, 26 helicopters, in a value of about 40 billion dollars. Just remember, Russias GDP is less than 2 trillion, less than half of Germany.

Putin also announced he is ready to negotiate peace.
Russia is to keep al occupied land, wil get all assets unfrozen, all sanctions lifted, and all accusations of war crimes will be dropped.
In return, Ukraine has to cut their army in half, and will not join Nato or the EU.
So pretty much the same peace treaty they offered, got and then broke a couple of years later, 3 times already.

Sounds like a smashing deal, what is Zelinsky waiting for?

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LaCroix wrote: 2023-11-27 03:28pm Slow day today, due to the severe weather, but the winter is adding problems to the russian army - they lack winter camo. Ukrainian drones have a field day of spotting the dots moving around against the white background.

"Tractor" Plant in Chelabynsk blew up, spectacularily - seems some of the ammo from the to be repaired tanks (or the local production, since these days, any industrial plant in Russia is already mobilized to also produce ammunition of some kind) blew up after a huge fire started "for reasons yet unknown".
That'll hurt like hell, since that particular plant is producing most of the engines used in tanks and BMPs.

Also, someone added up the numbers of the "stalled, failed " Ukrainian summer offensive.
since June14, in the span of 5 months, Ukraine destroyed about 2700 armored vehicles, 1600 tanks, 4300 artillery, 320 mlrs, 250 AA systems, 4000 other vehicles, a submarine, 6 (7, if todays reports prove true) ships, 11 aircraft, 26 helicopters, in a value of about 40 billion dollars. Just remember, Russias GDP is less than 2 trillion, less than half of Germany.

Putin also announced he is ready to negotiate peace.
Russia is to keep al occupied land, wil get all assets unfrozen, all sanctions lifted, and all accusations of war crimes will be dropped.
In return, Ukraine has to cut their army in half, and will not join Nato or the EU.
So pretty much the same peace treaty they offered, got and then broke a couple of years later, 3 times already.

For Hell to make like the ground and freeze over :mrgreen:
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

it would appear General Winter has decided to enter the fray.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LaCroix wrote: 2023-11-27 03:28pm Putin also announced he is ready to negotiate peace.

I wonder who Putin is trying to convince with this deal.