White House: Classified documents found at Biden's Delaware home from his time as vice president

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: White House: Classified documents found at Biden's Delaware home from his time as vice president

Post by PainRack »

Right now, it seems the only real scandal is that Biden chose not to reveal to the public the discovery of said documents or the government response back in Nov.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: White House: Classified documents found at Biden's Delaware home from his time as vice president

Post by Highlord Laan »

Which is only a scandal to the mindless redhats trying to make Biden look as bad as their beloved cheeto benitio.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-01-29 11:31am Which is only a scandal to the mindless redhats trying to make Biden look as bad as their beloved cheeto benitio.
I mean... Ideally Biden shouldn't do that, it damages the public trust and government transparency is a good thing .

The problem though is US democracy is broken. As long as the GOP extremists remain, twisting every action while excusing their own, you have to play dirty to survive.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Democracy only really works if parties accept the legitimacy of someone other than themselves to govern.

Many Republicans do not agree with this principle and the rest stay silent out of cowardice.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2023-01-25 10:40pm I would have expected Pence to have the documents quietly disposed of rather than admit any wrongdoing on his part, but you're not wrong.
Damage Control.

If it was later found he had them, but didn't admit to it, that would look way worse then him saying 'After hearing about these mistakes, I decided to make sure I wasn't making the same mistakes'.

One is evading the truth, one is stepping up admit it. The former makes him look bad, the later makes him look good.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

You might make an error, what you do after you noticed determines if it becomes a mistake...

Destroying the docs would have made it sooo much worse once it gets out.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I suppose you could sum it up by saying that being careless with classified materials isn't really that big of a deal when you're at the president/vice-president level unless you go out of your way to to make it clearly illegal, deliberate and a threat to national security.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

bobalot wrote: 2023-01-30 02:28am Democracy only really works if parties accept the legitimacy of someone other than themselves to govern.

Many Republicans do not agree with this principle and the rest stay silent out of cowardice.
This is entirely correct for our age. The only answer that will carry any weight is to meet them blow for blow in every arena, be it in the House, Senate, state capitols or open streets, and do it harder. The scum that gets elected and the scum that does the electing are one in the same, and will only be cowed by greater power, no matter what form it takes.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-01-30 08:59pm
This is entirely correct for our age. The only answer that will carry any weight is to meet them blow for blow in every arena, be it in the House, Senate, state capitols or open streets, and do it harder. The scum that gets elected and the scum that does the electing are one in the same, and will only be cowed by greater power, no matter what form it takes.
Yeah. So, as much as we made fun of Rom for asking about how we would hypothetically do this, if we're accepting that as true why shouldn't we be aiming at systematically disenfranchising something like a quarter of the population as a goal? Because that does seem like the logical next step if we accept that the other side is The Enemy and not people we have to live and deal and work with as peers.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Ralin wrote: 2023-01-30 09:17pm
Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-01-30 08:59pm
Yeah. So, as much as we made fun of Rom for asking about how we would hypothetically do this, if we're accepting that as true why shouldn't we be aiming at systematically disenfranchising something like a quarter of the population as a goal? Because that does seem like the logical next step if we accept that the other side is The Enemy and not people we have to live and deal and work with as peers.
Given that disenfranchising everyone else is exactly their stated goals, I see nothing wrong with striking first. If the bastards didn't want to be treated like an enemy, they shouldn't have started acting like one.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-02-01 12:54am Given that disenfranchising everyone else is exactly their stated goals, I see nothing wrong with striking first. If the bastards didn't want to be treated like an enemy, they shouldn't have started acting like one.
So, you want to play right into their game plan, thereby justifying their attitude and actions to 'fence sitters' and the like?

Congratulations! You've played yourself.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2023-02-01 02:09pm
Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-02-01 12:54am Given that disenfranchising everyone else is exactly their stated goals, I see nothing wrong with striking first. If the bastards didn't want to be treated like an enemy, they shouldn't have started acting like one.
So, you want to play right into their game plan, thereby justifying their attitude and actions to 'fence sitters' and the like?

No. He acknowledges that there aren't enough fence sitters that would be swayed by that to matter.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Solauren wrote: 2023-02-01 02:09pm

Not really. The sad reality is that the opposing side basically threw out the gentlemen's agreements. To give you an idea, these agreements are the equivalent of throwing out the rules of war completely.

Under normal circumstances, you would be right, but these aren't normal circumstances.
Ralin wrote: 2023-02-01 05:02pm No. He acknowledges that there aren't enough fence sitters that would be swayed by that to matter.
That and memetic weapons exist. Seriously, everyone forgot that Russia uncorked that particular genie bottle back in 2016 in their 'military intelligence operation' (their words, not mine).