Grant Imahara passes away

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Grant Imahara passes away

Post by Soontir C'boath »

:finger: This world.
Ars Technica wrote:Grant Imahara, a roboticist and electrical engineer whose work appeared in films and TV series such as Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, The Matrix Reloaded, and MythBusters, died suddenly on Monday following a brain aneurysm. He was 49 years old.

Imahara worked for years at storied special-effects firm Industrial Light and Magic, where he worked on films such as A.I: Artificial Intelligence, Galaxy Quest, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, the two sequels to The Matrix, and George Lucas' Star Wars prequel trilogy. On the last of those, he was responsible for restoring and recreating the iconic R2D2 robot for the new films. Imahara also created Geoff Petersen, the comedic robot co-host from The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

But he is probably best-known to most people as a member of the build team on MythBusters for many years, with co-hosts Tory Belleci and Kari Byron. On the show, Imahara was often portrayed as the geek of the group as he worked on robots and computers related to the myths that were tested over the course of the series. He was an infectiously positive personality on screen and was beloved by fans.

He was also a fan of live-action role-playing and was a widely known and well-regarded figure in many online communities, as well as in the Los Angeles robotics, science, and geek culture social scenes. He is remembered by friends and colleagues as a down-to-earth, warm, and positive human being.

His passing was met by an outpouring of grief from former co-workers, friends, and others whose lives he touched. "I’m at a loss," wrote MythBusters host Adam Savage. "No words. I’ve been part of two big families with Grant Imahara over the last 22 years. Grant was a truly brilliant engineer, artist, and performer, but also just such a generous, easygoing, and gentle PERSON. Working with Grant was so much fun. I’ll miss my friend."

Fellow MythBusters build team members Kari Byron and Tory Belleci also expressed grief. "I wish I had a time machine," Byron tweeted alongside a photo with her, Belleci, and Imahara. "I just cannot believe it. I don’t even know what to say. My heart is broken," wrote Belleci.

Imahara is survived by long-time partner Jennifer Newman, a costume designer. "I lost a part of my heart and soul today," she wrote on Twitter. "He was so generous and kind, so endlessly sweet and so loved by his incredible friends. I feel so lucky to have known him, to have loved & been loved by him."
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Grant Imahara passes away

Post by Solauren »

Hard to blame the world for this one.

Still, sad. He was smart and funny. And he made kick ass robots
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

He was only 49 years old. Jesus. More reasons why 2020 is shaping up to be the shittiest year for a while.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Anyone know what he died from as 49 seems rather young to die, either way from it's a loss.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-07-17 08:19pm Anyone know what he died from as 49 seems rather young to die, either way from it's a loss.
Brain aneurysm is what is reported.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-07-17 09:22pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2020-07-17 08:19pm Anyone know what he died from as 49 seems rather young to die, either way from it's a loss.
Brain aneurysm is what is reported.
So I think the same thing as my paternal uncle died from. Something that pretty anyone can get.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

That's a major shock. Was a myth busters fan back in the day and Grant was a steady part. Really sad to hear and condolences to his family