Conflict erupts at Minneapolis, L.A. protests over George Floyd death

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Re: Conflict erupts at Minneapolis, L.A. protests over George Floyd death

Post by Darth Yan »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 04:55am
Darth Yan wrote: 2020-06-16 04:45am 1.) Outlaws often waylaid people on the road and stole their stuff. What's to stop them from doing THAT
The part where we no longer live in a world where that's a viable occupation. You know, the same 'the world is bigger now' line you've been trotting out?
2.) Not entirely; I'm pointing out that containment of some kind is necessary, and I don't see how surveillance the entire time is going to work.
Here's how: You hire a few people to come and work around the clock doing it, just like you do in a prison, but for a specific person rather than a mass of people.
Prisons for all their flaws DO contain people and ensure they won't hurt others again, while also (if done differently) open up the possibility of rehabilitation.
Again, you aren't demonstrating any way that the carceral model is either, a, better suited to preventing harm and fostering rehabilitation, or b, the only route to achieving these goals. Your position requires that this be the case to hold up.
Maybe saying they're all idiots is wrong. That was strong. I DO think that in some cases their proposed solutions are unworkable and that some of their ideas are naive.
And that's great, except you can't actually demonstrate why beyond vague appeals to human nature and the existence of 'evil people'.
People will always find a way. Surveillance....eh. I can see where you're getting it but emotionally it's a tough sell.

I am still honestly curious. WHY must prisons be completely and utterly abolished and replaced? Are they really so irredeemably evil that they can't exist even in smaller scales?

And my points about human nature aren't vague. History has repeatedly shown that sometimes humans are just assholes no matter what.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 02:10amNow, my personal position for dealing with the handful of exceptional lunatics - and, incidentally, they're an incredibly small number, which would render bespoke solutions tailored to the control of each individual exceptional lunatic feasible - is simple: outlawry and exile. Others prefer an approach that involves constant supervision and ongoing efforts at rehabilitation, which is probably more humane than my preferred solution.
Where would you exile them to ?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-06-16 05:35am
loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 02:10amNow, my personal position for dealing with the handful of exceptional lunatics - and, incidentally, they're an incredibly small number, which would render bespoke solutions tailored to the control of each individual exceptional lunatic feasible - is simple: outlawry and exile. Others prefer an approach that involves constant supervision and ongoing efforts at rehabilitation, which is probably more humane than my preferred solution.
Hmm I wonder if Australasia is still available?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-11 06:49pm Batman's an interesting one in that while on the one hand he seems to embody a very conservative philosophy (the wealthy philanthropist saving the day, vigilantism, combating crime through throwing money and force at the problem), he is also, in most versions, adamantly anti-gun and anti-killing, to the point that he will go out of his way to save the Joker's life. Its also noteworthy that the origin of modern Batman, Year One, is literally a story about him waging war on corrupt, overmilitarized police, as well as on the Mob, and his big victory at the end of that story is helping Gordon force out the corrupt police commissioner.

That clip is also an interesting example, in that Gordon's comments can be seen as warning that Batman's methods, or increased use of police force, will simply feed a cycle of ever-increasing violence and escalation.

Probably the most conservative of the Nolan films is The Dark Knight Rises, which depicts Batman helping to put down 99%/anti-police rioters stirred up by an outsider agitator (Bane)- a plot which has REALLY not aged well. Yet even there, the film critiques Gordon for lying about Dent in order to pass a Tough On Crime law, and concludes with Blake leaving the police force to become a vigilante because he finds the system too corrupt to work within.

Batman has always been a character and story that can be used to argue either side of the police militarization/tough on crime debate. Which is part of why I find modern "reinterpretations" that just write Batman off as a fascist rich man beating up poor/mentally ill people to be a very simplistic take on the character, and politically a waste of a cultural icon who could be coopted to preach a message against police violence and militarization.

I think, in fact, that if any fictional character could effectively bridge the gap from America's past to what we hope America's future will be, it would be Batman. And to some extent we've actually seen Batman adopted as a symbol by protesters (multiple protests have had people show up in Batman costumes- the Philedelphia ones had both a Batman and a Joker on the scene).
Another point to make about this; in Dark Knight Bruce specifically realizes that he can't be Batman forever. That's why he takes out the other vigilantes and why he is invested in Harvey Dent's success.

I've thought about it and realized Bruce is a flawed man trying to be good.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-06-16 05:08am
loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 04:55am
Darth Yan wrote: 2020-06-16 04:45am 1.) Outlaws often waylaid people on the road and stole their stuff. What's to stop them from doing THAT
The part where we no longer live in a world where that's a viable occupation. You know, the same 'the world is bigger now' line you've been trotting out?
2.) Not entirely; I'm pointing out that containment of some kind is necessary, and I don't see how surveillance the entire time is going to work.
Here's how: You hire a few people to come and work around the clock doing it, just like you do in a prison, but for a specific person rather than a mass of people.
Prisons for all their flaws DO contain people and ensure they won't hurt others again, while also (if done differently) open up the possibility of rehabilitation.
Again, you aren't demonstrating any way that the carceral model is either, a, better suited to preventing harm and fostering rehabilitation, or b, the only route to achieving these goals. Your position requires that this be the case to hold up.
Maybe saying they're all idiots is wrong. That was strong. I DO think that in some cases their proposed solutions are unworkable and that some of their ideas are naive.
And that's great, except you can't actually demonstrate why beyond vague appeals to human nature and the existence of 'evil people'.
People will always find a way. Surveillance....eh. I can see where you're getting it but emotionally it's a tough sell.
Is it a tougher sell than a prison when you actually think about it? Assigned guardians follow them and keep tabs on them to keep them from harming others (or being harmed by others). A prison, by contrast, places them in a box for the rest of their lives under the same amount of surveillance, but without dignity or the possibility of contributing to their society.

The core difference is not 'surveillance', but where that surveillance takes place.
I am still honestly curious. WHY must prisons be completely and utterly abolished and replaced? Are they really so irredeemably evil that they can't exist even in smaller scales?
Prisons don't actually work on any large scale. So, naturally, the question is - why not the small scale? Well, their economics only make sense on the large scale, and fall apart rapidly on the small scale (which is why they're largely a product of modernity, where larger scales of action become the decisive factor). Given that they are abject failures at actually addressing the causes of crime and are, at their best, rehabilitative institutes, there is nothing they do that cannot be adequately performed with other techniques that aren't as corrosive to dignity, and for the handful of exceptional lunatics, dedicated prisons aren't likely to be any more efficient than direct surveillance.

So, when this is the case... Why shouldn't they be abolished and replaced? If you get better results out of most criminals through actual rehabilitation, job placements, drug and alcohol addiction treatment, and social reform (and every piece of evidence says pretty much that), then let's say, 95% of the people you'd put in there are sorted out in ways that don't require prisons. Of the other 5%, a good chunk are psychiatric patients who need to be treated rather than incarcerated, or people who committed crimes of passion. I'm not actually that worried about the latter, as they're typically low recidivism (unless they develop drug abuse and mental health issues inside) offenders who can be adequately addressed through restorative schemes, while the former are already a poor fit for a carceral model. So that leaves us, say, 1% - the worst of the worst, the people genuinely too broken by the system to fix (because the intervention had to happen much, much earlier) and the exceptional lunatics.

Is prison actually doing anything to fix them as a problem? No, not really. It's warehousing them, and that's all. Nothing is gained by maintaining the current carceral model rather than giving them a village to roam around in subject to careful monitoring. The same outcome is gained, but without requiring the existence of a system that can function only at a large scale. Or, of course, we could simply kill them, but I'm not such a fan of that.
And my points about human nature aren't vague. History has repeatedly shown that sometimes humans are just assholes no matter what.
No, Yan, they are vague because they aren't proven. You don't have any data for it, any research, any psychiatric studies. What you have is an idea that sometimes people are evil and therefore prisons - but a does not necessarily require b to follow in that one.

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-06-16 05:35am
Anywhere that'll take them. And if nowhere will, then they're shit out of luck and can face the consequences when they, as an outlaw, show their face in the community. Exile isn't a pretty response, and in all likelihood the combination of modern territorial statehood and in it would come out to a defacto death penalty, but I'm okay with that when we're discussing the truly exceptional 'evil people' - the utterly unreachable serial killers, who make up the tiniest fraction of all crime, and who - hypothetically, and I don't believe it will actually be the case ever as I am unconvinced as to the existence of utterly uncontrollable, totally beyond rehabilitation 'evil people' in the first place - cannot be safely controlled by monitoring them just as closely as they're monitored in prisons.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 06:09am Anywhere that'll take them. And if nowhere will, then they're shit out of luck and can face the consequences when they, as an outlaw, show their face in the community. Exile isn't a pretty response, and in all likelihood the combination of modern territorial statehood and in it would come out to a defacto death penalty, but I'm okay with that when we're discussing the truly exceptional 'evil people' - the utterly unreachable serial killers, who make up the tiniest fraction of all crime, and who - hypothetically, and I don't believe it will actually be the case ever as I am unconvinced as to the existence of utterly uncontrollable, totally beyond rehabilitation 'evil people' in the first place - cannot be safely controlled by monitoring them just as closely as they're monitored in prisons.

What's the difference between the defacto death penalty of exile and a more direct death penalty ?

I see three that don't look good for any society favoring exile:
- You're making someone else pull the trigger.
- You're giving these truly evil people the chance to do more harm before someone kills them.
- If they have friends/resources outside of your reach, they have a much better chance of survival. Even better if they plan their exile at the same time as they planned the murders.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-06-16 06:33am
loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 06:09am Anywhere that'll take them. And if nowhere will, then they're shit out of luck and can face the consequences when they, as an outlaw, show their face in the community. Exile isn't a pretty response, and in all likelihood the combination of modern territorial statehood and in it would come out to a defacto death penalty, but I'm okay with that when we're discussing the truly exceptional 'evil people' - the utterly unreachable serial killers, who make up the tiniest fraction of all crime, and who - hypothetically, and I don't believe it will actually be the case ever as I am unconvinced as to the existence of utterly uncontrollable, totally beyond rehabilitation 'evil people' in the first place - cannot be safely controlled by monitoring them just as closely as they're monitored in prisons.

What's the difference between the defacto death penalty of exile and a more direct death penalty ?

- You're giving these truly evil people the chance to do more harm before someone kills them.
- If they have friends/resources outside of your reach, they have a much better chance of survival. Even better if they plan their exile at the same time as they planned the murders.
Yeah. It's important not to simply shift the burden to other communities. Otherwise it is just wishful thinking and merely passing the buck. And if you basically exile them to a place that is devoid of a community, you're just massively increasing their odds of dying via other means ( i.e. starvation and etc)

It is moral cowardice, plain and simple.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-06-16 06:33am

The principal difference is that exile places the fault of the killing on the exiled, and not the society. They were given a chance to leave and, having failed to take advantage of it, face their own fate. What they do outside the confines of the legally-constituted society is largely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It's an academic difference, so I'll concede that a pure death penalty for the hypothetical 'evil person' is probably a cleaner solution.

ray245 wrote: 2020-06-16 06:42am Yeah. It's important not to simply shift the burden to other communities. Otherwise it is just wishful thinking and merely passing the buck. And if you basically exile them to a place that is devoid of a community, you're just massively increasing their odds of dying via other means ( i.e. starvation and etc)

It is moral cowardice, plain and simple.
Why should we be concerned with their odds of starving to death? They so irrevocably broke with the social contract that any obligation from us to them has vanished. The only remaining obligation of humane conduct is owed to the self and the rest of the society, and not to the outlaw. That's literally the point of outlawry: that once they have gone so far beyond the law as to be irreconcilable to it, they have severed themselves from the society constituted by those laws and are owed nothing.

Again, I'm happy to concede that a pure death penalty is probably a cleaner solution.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 07:09am Why should we be concerned with their odds of starving to death? They so irrevocably broke with the social contract that any obligation from us to them has vanished. The only remaining obligation of humane conduct is owed to the self and the rest of the society, and not to the outlaw. That's literally the point of outlawry: that once they have gone so far beyond the law as to be irreconcilable to it, they have severed themselves from the society constituted by those laws and are owed nothing.

Again, I'm happy to concede that a pure death penalty is probably a cleaner solution.
Because starvation is a painful way to die? If you want to impose a death penalty, then you should at the very least try and make sure you are not prolonging suffering in any additional shape or form.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

ray245 wrote: 2020-06-16 07:39am
loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 07:09am Why should we be concerned with their odds of starving to death? They so irrevocably broke with the social contract that any obligation from us to them has vanished. The only remaining obligation of humane conduct is owed to the self and the rest of the society, and not to the outlaw. That's literally the point of outlawry: that once they have gone so far beyond the law as to be irreconcilable to it, they have severed themselves from the society constituted by those laws and are owed nothing.

Because starvation is a painful way to die? If you want to impose a death penalty, then you should at the very least try and make sure you are not prolonging suffering in any additional shape or form.
And therein lies the difference. 'Get out before we kill you' is not a death penalty. It may, under many circumstances, act as one - but it is not a death penalty for all that it may result in death. It is the acknowledgement that a person's conduct is such that they have irrevocably broken the bonds holding them to their society, and as such, are entitled to no treatment at all. This is the mess I'm referring to when I say a pure death penalty is cleaner, but the central distinction is that a death penalty does not actually place the person beyond the lawful community but rather reinforces that they are subject to those laws.

The outlaw, by contrast, is - by their own actions - beyond the law, and thus, beyond any consideration owed to them by the community, as the community is the law. This is necessarily an approach that must be indifferent to the suffering of those who deliberately place themselves completely and utterly beyond the scope of the law, but the outlaw under discussion - a person that cannot be treated or rehabilitated in any way, who genuinely cannot be reformed or reached and who has the full capacity necessary to be ascribed guilt - is necessarily one who possesses the rationality to comprehend what they're doing and comprehend that their failure to reform themselves will lead to whatever fate meets them beyond the borders of the law, and so the indifference is to actions wrought wholly and only by their own hand, rationally and willingly. Starvation or disease or exposure (or whatever other fate - more likely they'll be shot by someone) is not inflicted on them by the law, but by their own active and callous malevolence towards the community constituted by the law.

It's a harsher position than just shooting them, but it preserves an epistemic difference that I find important. To just shoot them as the lawful punishment is to retain them within the confines of the community constituted by the law, which they, by their own actions, have demonstrated themselves not to be a part of. If they remain members of the community, then obligations are owed to them - that one ought not to kill one's own community, for instance. Outlawing them, however, affirms their outside status and places the guilt of any killing that follows squarely on their own heads.

It can be difficult to reconcile this approach with a universalist morality, so I completely understand if you'd still rather just shoot them from the get-go than go for outlawry and exile. It's just my personal position and not one I'd expect other people to understand or adopt.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Practically speaking, wouldn't anyone hated and bad enough to warrant outlawing also prompt someone to wait nearby to cap them immediately after being declared an outlaw?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Ralin wrote: 2020-06-16 08:20am Practically speaking, wouldn't anyone hated and bad enough to warrant outlawing also prompt someone to wait nearby to cap them immediately after being declared an outlaw?
On the level we're discussing, most likely, yes.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Formless wrote: 2020-06-16 01:54am But perhaps the most interesting case of all is the city that disbanded its police department... and it wasn't because of funding, it wasn't lawsuits, and it wasn't an external investigation by a higher level government agency. The city's police department was beyond reform... so they got rid of them. That city is Camden, New Jersey, and while they do have a police department now, that department is completely different not only from the corrupt fuckup it was before, but just in general from how most police departments operate in the country. From what I've read, they have gone for the kind of community oriented, public protection oriented law enforcement paradigm that people actually want. They also noticeably lowered the city's crime rate in the process, which is no mean feat-- this was one of the more crime ridden cities in the nation at the time. It wasn't getting better because the police were part of the problem, and the city officials knew it. The ONLY way to meaningfully reform the department was to treat every son of a bitch who worked there as a "bad apple" by default, and start over from scratch. And it worked. Police abolition isn't "moonbat nonsense", its a tactic that has actually been tried and shown to be possible. It may be a smaller city than Minneapolis, but the theory is the same. If the problem is the police culture, reform is best implemented after disbanding the existing force and getting everyone who used to work there out of the profession.
Actually, what they got rid of was the police union and city level department then reorganized into a county wide department. How they went about that was by firing everyone and then allowed them to reapply for their jobs. They didn't force them out of the profession, get rid of them, or necessarily treat them all like bad apples. In fact, most were rehired. Now the department has grown from about 150 officers to over 400, which makes sense since they're now county wide.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 08:10am And therein lies the difference. 'Get out before we kill you' is not a death penalty. It may, under many circumstances, act as one - but it is not a death penalty for all that it may result in death. It is the acknowledgement that a person's conduct is such that they have irrevocably broken the bonds holding them to their society, and as such, are entitled to no treatment at all. This is the mess I'm referring to when I say a pure death penalty is cleaner, but the central distinction is that a death penalty does not actually place the person beyond the lawful community but rather reinforces that they are subject to those laws.

The outlaw, by contrast, is - by their own actions - beyond the law, and thus, beyond any consideration owed to them by the community, as the community is the law. This is necessarily an approach that must be indifferent to the suffering of those who deliberately place themselves completely and utterly beyond the scope of the law, but the outlaw under discussion - a person that cannot be treated or rehabilitated in any way, who genuinely cannot be reformed or reached and who has the full capacity necessary to be ascribed guilt - is necessarily one who possesses the rationality to comprehend what they're doing and comprehend that their failure to reform themselves will lead to whatever fate meets them beyond the borders of the law, and so the indifference is to actions wrought wholly and only by their own hand, rationally and willingly. Starvation or disease or exposure (or whatever other fate - more likely they'll be shot by someone) is not inflicted on them by the law, but by their own active and callous malevolence towards the community constituted by the law.

It's a harsher position than just shooting them, but it preserves an epistemic difference that I find important. To just shoot them as the lawful punishment is to retain them within the confines of the community constituted by the law, which they, by their own actions, have demonstrated themselves not to be a part of. If they remain members of the community, then obligations are owed to them - that one ought not to kill one's own community, for instance. Outlawing them, however, affirms their outside status and places the guilt of any killing that follows squarely on their own heads.

It can be difficult to reconcile this approach with a universalist morality, so I completely understand if you'd still rather just shoot them from the get-go than go for outlawry and exile. It's just my personal position and not one I'd expect other people to understand or adopt.
I don't think those epistemic difference are worth anything if that results in the prolonging of suffering for a person. No ideological views are ever worth inflicting additional harm on a person.

Hence why I still see it as moral cowardice.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

It also seems analogous to felon status is the us. Many jobs and opportunities are closed to you due to that record.

It does not work to reduce crime or reduce repeated crime.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

ray245 wrote: 2020-06-16 09:07am I don't think those epistemic difference are worth anything if that results in the prolonging of suffering for a person. No ideological views are ever worth inflicting additional harm on a person.

Hence why I still see it as moral cowardice.
The suffering is incidental and beyond the scope of the exile, not part of the sentence of exile. I'm generally opposed to it myself - if you asked me if I'd sooner shoot them than send them to die of exposure in the desert I'd say 'yes' - but there remains a distinction between a sentence that is ambivalent to suffering and one that creates it. The scope of the law ends, quite abruptly, at outlawry - all that follows is made by the outlaw, not the law. If they live or die, die swiftly or slowly, is solely upon their own heads once they sever themselves from the community.

If the sentence was an active, deliberate 'and now you have to die slowly' I'd agree with you that it's moral cowardice. But in this case it's neither moral cowardice nor moral heroism - it's simply an acceptance that, by their own hand, they are removed from the bonds governing the society constituted by the law they are now outside of, and thereby entitled to no regard, consideration, or protection by that law from whatever may come their way. In other words, if we're looking at it in terms of cowardice, it's morally ambivalent. No active physical harm is directly imposed on them by the sentence of outlawry unless they return to the community, and I'll clarify, since it may not be clear, that if you put me in charge of drafting it the policy would very much include ensuring sufficient food, transport, and water to get them to a destination rather than just ditching them in the desert and going 'later bitch'.

Death sentences are probably still cleaner, but for me it's an epistemic distinction worth preserving because of the implications on what is and is not acceptable within a community of law.
madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-06-16 09:23am It also seems analogous to felon status is the us. Many jobs and opportunities are closed to you due to that record.

It does not work to reduce crime or reduce repeated crime.
The purpose of such outlawry is not to reduce crime or recidivism, but to remove the hypothetical 'exceptional lunatic' - and note that this penalty is one I'm talking about only for the hypothetically rational but totally unrehabilitateable , untreatable, uncontrollable subject that I very much doubt even exists, our hypothetical genuinely 'evil' serial killer that cannot possibly be controlled in any way but execution, incarceration, or other harsh penalty that Yan introduced to justify the existence of prisons - from a society endangered by their existence. For literally everyone else, other modes focused on treatment, resolving the root causes, and rehabilitation are preferable precisely because felon status is an ineffective method of reducing crime.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 09:34am The suffering is incidental and beyond the scope of the exile, not part of the sentence of exile. I'm generally opposed to it myself - if you asked me if I'd sooner shoot them than send them to die of exposure in the desert I'd say 'yes' - but there remains a distinction between a sentence that is ambivalent to suffering and one that creates it. The scope of the law ends, quite abruptly, at outlawry - all that follows is made by the outlaw, not the law. If they live or die, die swiftly or slowly, is solely upon their own heads once they sever themselves from the community.

If the sentence was an active, deliberate 'and now you have to die slowly' I'd agree with you that it's moral cowardice. But in this case it's neither moral cowardice nor moral heroism - it's simply an acceptance that, by their own hand, they are removed from the bonds governing the society constituted by the law they are now outside of, and thereby entitled to no regard, consideration, or protection by that law from whatever may come their way. In other words, if we're looking at it in terms of cowardice, it's morally ambivalent. No active physical harm is directly imposed on them by the sentence of outlawry unless they return to the community, and I'll clarify, since it may not be clear, that if you put me in charge of drafting it the policy would very much include ensuring sufficient food, transport, and water to get them to a destination rather than just ditching them in the desert and going 'later bitch'.

Death sentences are probably still cleaner, but for me it's an epistemic distinction worth preserving because of the implications on what is and is not acceptable within a community of law.
It only works if the absence of those human support structure does not result in a painful end to one's life. The law which govern society itself needs to be bound and shaped by the moral values in which a society is willing to uphold, otherwise the law itself will not have the sufficient moral authority to define itself.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

ray245 wrote: 2020-06-16 10:18am
loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 09:34am The suffering is incidental and beyond the scope of the exile, not part of the sentence of exile. I'm generally opposed to it myself - if you asked me if I'd sooner shoot them than send them to die of exposure in the desert I'd say 'yes' - but there remains a distinction between a sentence that is ambivalent to suffering and one that creates it. The scope of the law ends, quite abruptly, at outlawry - all that follows is made by the outlaw, not the law. If they live or die, die swiftly or slowly, is solely upon their own heads once they sever themselves from the community.

It only works if the absence of those human support structure does not result in a painful end to one's life. The law which govern society itself needs to be bound and shaped by the moral values in which a society is willing to uphold, otherwise the law itself will not have the sufficient moral authority to define itself.
I agree generally, but on this point of principle I differ. The absence of a human support structure is the product solely of the actions of the outlaw, not the society, and it is for the precise reason that the law that constitutes the society must be bound by its moral values that outlawry is preferable to execution even if the outlaw dies. Executing the person instead of allowing them to remove themselves from the society constituted by the law that they are unwilling to live under establishes the legitimacy of killing within that society; the other does not, as any death and suffering takes place outside of it. Only if we are speaking of a pan-human society of law from which no exit is possible can we consider that the morality of the law forming the society is meaningfully impacted by the actions of those who have willfully separated themselves from it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

In short, it's horrific to have a procedure whereby law enforcement ties a guy down and kills him in a step by step prescribed manner, but declaring that someone isn't welcome in society anymore and that the law isn't going to stop someone who decides to cap the fucker on their own initiative is letting them hoist themselves on their own petard.

Presumably the outlaw would get a head start or something.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Ralin wrote: 2020-06-16 11:53am In short, it's horrific to have a procedure whereby law enforcement ties a guy down and kills him in a step by step prescribed manner, but declaring that someone isn't welcome in society anymore and that the law isn't going to stop someone who decides to cap the fucker on their own initiative is letting them hoist themselves on their own petard.

Presumably the outlaw would get a head start or something.
Essentially, though only where actions are such that they are utterly irreconcilable to the community constituted by those laws. In essence, it is the actions that sever the tie, and the sentence of outlawry merely acknowledges this.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ah Exile. The death sentence for people afraid to order someone's death as they think it will condemn their own soul to hell.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Solauren wrote: 2020-06-16 10:47pm Ah Exile. The death sentence for people afraid to order someone's death as they think it will condemn their own soul to hell.
It's not about souls or fear, it's about the conceptual framework of what is and is not permissible in a legal system and the society it creates.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 07:09amThe principal difference is that exile places the fault of the killing on the exiled, and not the society. They were given a chance to leave and, having failed to take advantage of it, face their own fate. What they do outside the confines of the legally-constituted society is largely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It's an academic difference, so I'll concede that a pure death penalty for the hypothetical 'evil person' is probably a cleaner solution.
Exile leads to a few problematic scenarios:

- The murder tourist. They come to the society from another country. Their plan is to kill someone for the thrill of it. If they get caught, their plan is to hire a lawyer who argues for their immediate exile. And, unlike exiles born in your country, the murder tourist has a country willing to take them back.
- The hostage taker. The exiled person comes back but, before anyone kills them, they take hostages.
- The traumatized. The exiled person comes back and tries to attack someone, only for the intended victim to kill him. Unfortunately, the intended victim is traumatized over having been forced to kill someone.
- The mistaken identity. Someone was exiled. But there is an unfortunate tourist that merely looks like them. So this unfortunate tourist gets kills coming into the country by people who think he's the exiled.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Also, what about when the inevitable happens where a person was convicted, outlawed, killed, then later on was found to be innocent? Sucks to be them I guess?

One of the reasons why I oppose the death penalty in general, even via exile.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Reg. outlawery, exile, or summary execution as an alternative to prison:
loomer wrote:And therein lies the difference. 'Get out before we kill you' is not a death penalty. It may, under many circumstances, act as one - but it is not a death penalty for all that it may result in death. It is the acknowledgement that a person's conduct is such that they have irrevocably broken the bonds holding them to their society, and as such, are entitled to no treatment at all. This is the mess I'm referring to when I say a pure death penalty is cleaner, but the central distinction is that a death penalty does not actually place the person beyond the lawful community but rather reinforces that they are subject to those laws.

I am deeply wary of any system which promotes and indeed requires a societal indifference to suffering in order to work. Such attitudes can infect a society, and once you start dehumanizing and othering some people, it becomes easier to do it to others.

In any case, such a system is unworkable in practice, because it is very unlikely that the exiled person would be able to find another country willing to take them in. If they tried to, they would likely be deported back, at which point they would presumably be killed.

This is, incidentally, a violation of international law:

https://unhcr.com/un-conventions-on-statelessness.html
The 1954 Convention is designed to ensure that stateless people enjoy a minimum set of human rights. It establishes the legal definition of a stateless person as someone who is “not recognized as a national by any state under the operation of its law.” Simply put, this means that a stateless person is someone who does not have the nationality of any country. The 1954 Convention also establishes minimum standards of treatment for stateless people in respect to a number of rights. These include, but are not limited to, the right to education, employment and housing. Importantly, the 1954 Convention also guarantees stateless people a right to identity, travel documents and administrative assistance.
I am also curious as to how such a system would deal with the extremely violent while awaiting trial- would they be allowed to run free until their trial and appeals were concluded?

In any case, since you admit that the practical effect of the law in most cases is to consign these people to a slow death by starvation, exposure, and disease, or a (relatively) quick one by vigilante murder/summary execution, what this amounts to is, indeed, knowingly bringing about someone's death in a deliberately cruel manner, but in such a way that society (and by extension, yourself) could wash its/your hands of it and pretend that it wasn't pulling the trigger.
I would argue that it falls on the society and people who knowingly and deliberately took actions that they knew would result in deaths. But ultimately, the academic theory of who is responsible is less significant to me than the actual, practical, physical consequences of a policy in terms of sentient suffering.

It is also, of course, extremely unlikely that such a system would never be abused or punish people in error, and while a wrongfully convicted person can be freed and compensated, the dead cannot.
Personally, I would rather maintain a very limited and humane system of prisons or mental asylums for the incarceration of the perhaps a fraction of percent of society who are uncontrollably violent (other countries have much more human prison systems than the United States, so it is possible, and has been demonstrated to be feasible in a modern industrialized nation while your alternative has not), because that is an objectively less harmful course of action than the one that you are describing.
loomer wrote: 2020-06-16 09:34amThe suffering is incidental and beyond the scope of the exile, not part of the sentence of exile.
But suffering is not incidental. It is a known, acknowledged, deliberate consequence of the policy you are describing, and therefore those advocating, implementing, or enforcing such a policy would bear responsibility for it.
I'm generally opposed to it myself - if you asked me if I'd sooner shoot them than send them to die of exposure in the desert I'd say 'yes' - but there remains a distinction between a sentence that is ambivalent to suffering and one that creates it. The scope of the law ends, quite abruptly, at outlawry - all that follows is made by the outlaw, not the law. If they live or die, die swiftly or slowly, is solely upon their own heads once they sever themselves from the community.
It is a very strange world view which says "The police and prisons should be abolished because they're abusive, racist and oppressive. Let's replace them with vigilante murders instead!"

And what happens when they are deported back against their will to the community that exiled them, because predictably nobody else will take them? Does the responsibility for their death still lie on them? Or on the country that deported them? Or on the community that exiled them and is now pulling the trigger?
The purpose of such outlawry is not to reduce crime or recidivism, but to remove the hypothetical 'exceptional lunatic' - and note that this penalty is one I'm talking about only for the hypothetically rational but totally unrehabilitateable , untreatable, uncontrollable subject that I very much doubt even exists, our hypothetical genuinely 'evil' serial killer that cannot possibly be controlled in any way but execution, incarceration, or other harsh penalty that Yan introduced to justify the existence of prisons - from a society endangered by their existence. For literally everyone else, other modes focused on treatment, resolving the root causes, and rehabilitation are preferable precisely because felon status is an ineffective method of reducing crime.
I am skeptical that truly evil people exist, because I am skeptical as to whether free will exists, or whether we are all ultimately organic computers who's actions are driven by chemical reactions in our brains, in which case nobody ultimately chooses to do anything, good or bad, and the "evil" person is ultimately just a victim of nature- chance or fate, and their own malfunctioning brain biology. But we do know that there are people who are violent or abusive as a result of mental illness, and not all such conditions are, at present, reliably treatable. If you would (rightly) not sentence the mentally ill to exile or to death, or hold them responsible for their choices, but we are currently unable to reliably treat whatever is causing them to behave violently, then what alternative is available but to confine them, as comfortably and humanely as possible and only in the most severe cases, from the rest of society?

I would agree that a focus on treatment, root causes, and rehabilitation could potentially address probably upwards of 99% of crime, although there would have to be a transitional period of some years or decades as police forces and prisons were drawn down and resources invested in other areas.

However, the fact is that there is likely a small number of incurably violent people (maybe we'll be able to cure them some day, but not yet). And any system of justice would have to take those people into account, not just hand wave their existence away. And in practice, maintaining a minimal, humane system facility to contain these people would inflict less harm than establishing a system of exile and summary execution which requires unpersoning and fostering a societal indifference to human suffering in order to function, while allowing society to rationalize away responsibility for the consequences.

I think that that combination of unpersoning/othering, societal indifference to suffering, and shifting of responsibility is what worries me most, beyond the immediate harms to the people who would be sentenced to exile or death (who might or might not be responsible for their fate). Its exactly the sort of thing that, however well-meaning in its inception, would likely create a society that would rationalize all manner of atrocities against a widening number of people.
bilateralrope wrote: 2020-06-17 01:45amExile leads to a few problematic scenarios:

- The murder tourist. They come to the society from another country. Their plan is to kill someone for the thrill of it. If they get caught, their plan is to hire a lawyer who argues for their immediate exile. And, unlike exiles born in your country, the murder tourist has a country willing to take them back.
- The hostage taker. The exiled person comes back but, before anyone kills them, they take hostages.
- The traumatized. The exiled person comes back and tries to attack someone, only for the intended victim to kill him. Unfortunately, the intended victim is traumatized over having been forced to kill someone.
- The mistaken identity. Someone was exiled. But there is an unfortunate tourist that merely looks like them. So this unfortunate tourist gets kills coming into the country by people who think he's the exiled.
The first one seems fairly outlandish, but I suppose its possible. The others are all serious obstacles, yes.

There's a lot of practical problems in how such a system would relate to other countries. If all other nations practiced the exile system, then where would an outlawed person be able to go? If others did not, it is still unlikely that they would accept an "outlawed" person (albeit some might be able to apply for refugee status, as said policy would, as noted above, be a human rights violation under international law). So they would presumably be deported home and killed. If there was nowhere for exiled people to go, then you'd potentially see gangs of exiles forming on the margins of society, raiding and killing and forcing a military response to eliminate them.
Tribble wrote: 2020-06-17 01:55am Also, what about when the inevitable happens where a person was convicted, outlawed, killed, then later on was found to be innocent? Sucks to be them I guess?

One of the reasons why I oppose the death penalty in general, even via exile.
Indeed.

Personally, I am morally opposed to the death penalty as well, but the practical argument is sufficient even if one is theoretically okay with killing "deserving" people.

For all the faults of the prison system, a wrongfully-incarcerated person can, at least potentially, be freed and compensated. The dead cannot. Further, no society is ever going to be completely immune to human error, so either we have to accept that a certain number of innocent people will, in all likelihood, be murdered by society for the greater good, or we must oppose the death penalty.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.