Saudi Arabian oil processing facility attacked

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Saudi Arabian oil processing facility attacked

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-09-19 11:03pm Problematic? Dore openly cheerleads a monster like Assad even though multiple UN investigations concluded he’s a mass murdering lunatic. So no. He’s got no credibility. I mean dear god he couldn’t even get the Capital right and elfdart expects people to take him seriously?

Here’s a hint. Just because the US opposes him doesn’t mean he’s a good guy
Sadly, that is something a large number of people seem unable to understand.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-09-19 11:03pm Problematic? Dore openly cheerleads a monster like Assad even though multiple UN investigations concluded he’s a mass murdering lunatic. So no. He’s got no credibility. I mean dear god he couldn’t even get the Capital right and elfdart expects people to take him seriously?

As long as we apply the same standards to mainstream media, that should be no problem.
Like WaPo openly warhawking for the Iraq war over imaginary WMDs.
Or NYT confusing the Polish president for Vladimir Putin (hint they don't look anywhere alike), or CNN confusing a dildo for an ISIS symbol. Those last two seems more egregious than getting the capital of a country wrong.

Or how about Bloomberg with Chinese inserting spy chips which breaks the laws of thermodynamics. :D The story turned out to be false btw, not just on the breaking the laws of physics part.

But we both know its still acceptable to post from NYT, CNN and WaPo here.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Any outlet can make mistakes. Which can be cherry-picked by those with an agenda to discredit them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-19 11:54pm

As long as we apply the same standards to mainstream media, that should be no problem.
Like WaPo openly warhawking for the Iraq war over imaginary WMDs.
Or NYT confusing the Polish president for Vladimir Putin (hint they don't look anywhere alike), or CNN confusing a dildo for an ISIS symbol. Those last two seems more egregious than getting the capital of a country wrong.

Or how about Bloomberg with Chinese inserting spy chips which breaks the laws of thermodynamics. :D The story turned out to be false btw, not just on the breaking the laws of physics part.

But we both know its still acceptable to post from NYT, CNN and WaPo here.
Dore ALSO openly lied about things Jim Mattis actually said (he implied that Mattis was saying Assad didn't commit a certain attack when that was NOT what Mattis was saying), openly quotes conspiracy theorists, ignored that the kurds DO have a functioning society in the north of syria....it's not just the capital. The guy has a SHIT track record AND he's a conspiracy theorist apologizing for a monster like Assad. He also went after one of his fellow Young Turks when she disagreed with him (though to his credit he did apologize somewhat). Point is the guy's a lunatic who dismisses ANYONE who disagrees with him (even the UN and Organization for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons). That elfdart cites him as a source does NOT speak will of his integrity
Last edited by Darth Yan on 2019-09-20 12:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-19 11:54pm But we both know its still acceptable to post from NYT, CNN and WaPo here.
Don't forget MSNBC and their editing of the Zimmerman phone call.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-20 12:05am
mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-19 11:54pm But we both know its still acceptable to post from NYT, CNN and WaPo here.
That doesn't change that Jimmy Dore has ALSO openly lied, has openly smeared fellow journalists and has ignored groups like the UN and the Organization for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons.

The US is opposing Assad. In this case Assad is a monster who uses chemical weapons on his own people despite Dore's claims otherwise. Just because the US is trying to topple someone doesn't mean that person's a good guy.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Nothing to do with my post, but... okay?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am not saying Dore is wrong about Syria, I am saying if we apply the same standards that he becomes unreliable if he confuses the capital, then the NYT and CNN also get tarred with this brush. If Dore is unreliable becomes he cheers for Assad, then WaPo is unreliable because they cheered for the Iraq war.

Not that it affects my position, since I tend to be even more cynical and skeptical about news these days, and I also apply it when I listen to a Jimmy Dore video and I stated how he has problems with his anti interventionist coverage. But I guess people felt I didn't use strong enough language or because I use Maduro instead of Assad as the example. :D

However ultimately, what determines the argument is the evidence Dore presents to support his position. If the video shows something which might support his position, we should look into it.
Last edited by mr friendly guy on 2019-09-20 12:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Thanks for clarifying. It did seem for a moment like you were cheerleading Dore. Elfdart sure as shit is, and the reasoning (that he's anti establishment) is facile.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Not just the phone call, they also doctored the video and pictures to remove the blood & other injuries on the back of his head. I wrote about this in the original Zimmerman threads where the police reports & court documents all noted the lacerations & other injuries on the back of his head, but MSNBC and all the other media outlets edited it all out. That was my "the US news media can go fuck itself" point.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-09-20 12:26am Thanks for clarifying. It did seem for a moment like you were cheerleading Dore. Elfdart sure as shit is, and the reasoning (that he's anti establishment) is facile.
To clarify further, it depends on which part. For example his medicare for all spiel. Seems reasonable to me as an Australian enjoying universal health care. The anti interventionist part, already said I generally against intervention (for various reasons) but he has some problems with coverage. His Bernie or bust strategy, I feel its risky but I am looking from the outside and its up to Americans who lean towards the left to decide what strategy they use. So it depends on what Dore talks about, and he does talk about a lot of topics which can be grouped under "anti establishment" themes.

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

aerius wrote: 2019-09-20 12:29am
Not just the phone call, they also doctored the video and pictures to remove the blood & other injuries on the back of his head. I wrote about this in the original Zimmerman threads where the police reports & court documents all noted the lacerations & other injuries on the back of his head, but MSNBC and all the other media outlets edited it all out. That was my "the US news media can go fuck itself" point.
That's pretty bad. Zimmerman was still told not to go after Trayvon Martin and yet he did. Trayvon had every right to feel threatened
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Tribble wrote: 2019-09-18 07:05am
K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-09-18 04:06am
madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-09-18 03:43am Ive seen at least one conspiracy theory that it is self inflicted to blame iran.
That would be cosmically stupid. An acquaintance of mine operates a part of plant of similar size. Such fires can spread quickly and this could have led to total loss of the facility so that rebuilding would have taken many months. This is why it is expected of knowledgeable workers to put themselves in harms way when blocking the fire paths even at significant risk to life and limb.
Even so IMO it’s still plausible that the US and/or Saudi Arabia did it to pin it on Iran. I don’t trust a damn word the US says on this.
What? Saudi Arabia is afraid to even pin the blame directly on Iran saying the attack was "sponsored" rather than directly executed by Iran. Pompeo and Esper are both bending over backwards to say that the United States prefer a peaceful resolution and with Esper saying that strikes on Iran are not being considered. The Trump administration has placed severe sanctions on the Iranian central bank without exclusions for food and medicines (it was already under sanctions), but it's difficult to see what the effects might be.

If something else were to happen...
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Whoa we ran straight into off-topic land, but I for one would love a serious Syria thread.

There is a lot of insane bullshit to discuss given the sheer volume of factions and participants involved.

Heck just a Douma attacks thread would be nice.