A group of Republican politicians are in hiding — and US police have been sent to track them down

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: A group of Republican politicians are in hiding — and US police have been sent to track them down

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Because I trust aerius's word about as far as I can piss, I've been trying to look up the laws in Oregon on the subject.

https://katu.com/news/local/oregon-sena ... 06-21-2019
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Republican state senators in Oregon continued to engage in a high-stakes game of brinksmanship Friday with Democratic lawmakers, remaining away from the capitol for the second day and threatening a lawsuit over a $500-per-day fine from the Senate president.

Eleven Republican senators fled the Legislature — and in some cases, the state — to thwart the passage of a cap-and-trade proposal that would dramatically lower greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. The minority GOP caucus wants the plan to be sent to voters instead of being instituted by lawmakers — but negotiations with Democrats collapsed, leading to the headline-grabbing walkout.

Carol Currie, a spokeswoman for Senate President Peter Courtney, confirmed that each missing senator was hit with a $500 fine Friday morning, which will be renewed each day they continue to delay a vote. She said in an email that "they will receive a bill for the amount owed."

Republicans immediately pushed back.

"We will file legal action," said Sen. Tim Knopp, a Republican from Bend who has said he has been in three states in the past three days. "If they were trying to bring us back, threatening to arrest us and impose fines isn't going to work."

Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick said Republicans have no legal recourse as the fine is explicitly written in statute. A GoFundMe to cover the rogue lawmakers' expenses and fines raised nearly $30,000 in less than a day. State ethics laws prohibit officials from receiving gifts exceeding $50, so it's unclear whether senators could access the money.

Democrats have an 18 to 12 majority in the chamber, but they need 20 members present for a quorum. One GOP senator recently died and has not yet been replaced.

State Police can force any senators they track down in Oregon into a patrol car to return them to the Capitol, although the agency said in a statement that it would use "polite communication" and patience to bring the rogue lawmakers back. Knopp confirmed that he was contacted by the state police, but he said he declined the superintendent's request to return back to the statehouse.

The state police don't have jurisdiction outside Oregon. But the Oregon State Police confirmed Thursday evening it was working with out of state agencies to track down the Republicans.

Under the proposed cap-and-trade bill, Oregon would put an overall limit on greenhouse gas emissions and auction off pollution "allowances" for each ton of carbon industries plan to emit. The legislation would lower that cap over time to encourage businesses to move away from fossil fuels: The state would reduce emissions to 45% below 1990 levels by 2035 and 80% below 1990 levels by 2050.

Those opposed to the cap-and-trade plan say it would exacerbate a growing divide between the liberal, urban parts of the state and the rural areas. The plan would increase the cost of fuel, damaging small business, truckers and the logging industry, they say.

Democrats say the measure is an efficient way to lower emissions while investing in low-income and rural communities' ability to adapt to climate change. It has the support of environmental groups, farmworkers and some trade unions.

California has had for a decade an economy-wide cap and trade policy like the one Oregon is considering. Nine northeastern states have more limited cap-and-trade programs that target only the power sector.

Republicans aren't just holding up a climate plan, but a significant portion of the state budget including funding for the state's health care, foster care and higher education agencies.

"If we don't get that passed, we're going to see some real disruption in the services that people depend on," said Burdick, a Democrat from Portland.

The Legislature this week approved a continuing resolution to prevent those agencies from shutting down, funding them at current service levels in the event a budget isn't approved by June 30, the constitutional end of session.

Knopp said Republicans would be willing to return to the statehouse to solely vote on budget bills.

"We would come back if that's what Democrats want to vote on," he said. "At this time, that hasn't been offered. As far as I'm concerned, the Democrats are responsible for this impasse."

Burdick said it's not Republicans' "job to dictate what we can pass and what we can't pass."

"They're responsible for being here," she said.

The walkout also puts other major Democratic priorities on hold, including affordable housing, tobacco taxes and paid family leave. Legislation addressing these topics sailed through the House Thursday, but their fate remains uncertain with the Senate shutdown.

This is the second time in this legislative session that minority GOP lawmakers have used a walkout as a way to slow the process. Democrats have a rare supermajority in the House and Senate, meaning Republicans don't have many ways to influence the debate.

Oregon House Democrats once fled the capitol for five days in 2001 over a redistricting proposal. At the time, Brown, then-Senate President, called the walkout "appropriate under the circumstances."

As governor, she convinced Republicans to end a May walkout over an education funding tax package in exchange for tabling legislation on gun control and vaccine requirements. Part of that deal was that conservatives would not walk out again.

This time around, the governor said she's pursuing more direct action against Republicans because she felt that they backslid on "the word they gave to their colleagues and to me."
Nothing on whether arresting them would be legal, just that the state police are working with out of state agencies to do so and the Republicans are threatening a court challenge. However, the article does provide the following regarding the fines:

"Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick said Republicans have no legal recourse as the fine is explicitly written in statute."

I should point out, however, that the Governor recognized a previous walkout by Republicans as "appropriate", and says that her response in this case is due to Republicans violating a prior deal in which they agreed not to walk out again in exchange for tabling gun and vaccine requirement legislation. It also confirms that the police are under orders to try to persuade them to return, rather than simply arrest them by force.

Yeah, that totally sounds like the illegal kidnappers aerius feels the Alt. Reichists would be justified in shooting. :evil:

More importantly, I also found this article, which confirms that the State Senate Majority Leader regards the fines as legal, cites a spokesperson of the Oregon State Police who argues that the OPS can use force to bring lawmakers to the Capitol (while confirming that doing so is prohibited without the permission of the superintendent of OSP and that they will not do so without pursuing alternatives), and quotes the legislative counsel's determination that the Governor's actions are legal:
Yes, it is legal for the Governor to authorize the State Police to assist the Senate in returning absent members. ORS 181A.090. Unless excused, legislators are required to be present when the chamber in question -- the Senate, in this case -- convenes for a floor session. Senate Rule 3.10."
https://nbc16.com/news/local/in-a-cabin ... nd-them-up
SALEM, Ore. — Oregon's Republican state senators refused to give their location to KATU Friday as state troopers continued looking for them amid a walkout. They also blasted Gov. Kate Brown and other Democrats for being hypocrites since in the past they staged similar legislative boycotts.

"I am in a cabin near a lake," said state Sen. Tim Knopp, R-Bend, during a Facebook video chat interview. "And that's about all I can tell you."

Knopp told a KATU reporter he and other Republican state senators are threatening to file a lawsuit, saying the situation is not being handled legally.

On Thursday, after Republican senators refused to show up to a floor hearing, state Senate President Peter Courtney, D-Salem, said lawmakers with unexcused absences would be fined $500 a day.

"They haven't done it yet," Knopp explained. "And they've said that they're going to deduct it out of salary and per diem, which I do not believe they have the authority to do at this time. ... And so they will be facing a lawsuit from myself and other legislators likely because of the move to try to find legislators."

Friday was day two of the GOP walkout in the state Senate.

Republican senators also refused to show up to floor hearings earlier this year in an attempt to block an education funding bill, which ultimately passed after Democrats agreed to kill two other bills.

The Senate chamber was empty for much of the day Friday because with all 11 of the minority party's senators missing lawmakers once again could not legally vote on any bills.

Republicans are staying out of the Capitol in order to keep a cap-and-trade bill aimed at fighting climate change from passing.

On Thursday, Brown ordered the Oregon State Police (OSP) to start looking for the missing senators. Two of them including Knopp told a KATU reporter they're out of state.

"I've been in three states in three days," Knopp said.

After being asked if he'd been contacted by OSP he said, "I've talked to Superintendent (Travis) Hampton, and he requested that I return to the Capitol and I told him that I support our men and women in uniform and respect the job that they have to do. But I politely declined his offer to return."

State Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, said the $500 fine on absent lawmakers is legal.

"I don't think there is any grounds for a lawsuit," she said. "We mirrored the fine for the contempt of court ... I hope the state police find them and persuade them to come back because we have business to do and I hope their districts are pressuring them to come back to work."

State Senate Minority Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr., R-Grants Pass, would not tell a KATU reporter where he was either. In a phone interview, he said although he's not at the Capitol he's working.

"My constituents sent me to Salem to represent them," Baertschiger said. "And when they say that this bill is so devastating to their communities, I'm representing them by stopping it."

Baertschiger said he was contacted by OSP's superintendent as well and he told him only that he's not in Oregon.

OSP said it can force lawmakers into a vehicle and bring them to the state Capitol.

"The OSP will go to great lengths to avoid this scenario and no physical contact is permitted, absent the permission of the superintendent of OSP," Capt. Timothy Fox, an OSP spokesman, told KATU.

A KATU reporter asked Dexter Johnson, the legislative counsel -- basically the head lawyer for the Legislature -- about the legality of the governor's actions. He sent him a statement saying in part:

"Yes, it is legal for the Governor to authorize the State Police to assist the Senate in returning absent members. ORS 181A.090. Unless excused, legislators are required to be present when the chamber in question -- the Senate, in this case -- convenes for a floor session. Senate Rule 3.10."

"It's extremely unfortunate," Gov. Brown said Thursday while announcing her order to OSP. "Unfortunately, Senate Republicans failed to show up and failed to do their jobs."

But Republicans said Brown should take a harder look at her own actions.

They point out that in 2001 House Democrats staged a five-day walkout to prevent a Republican plan to redraw state legislative districts without the governor's signature.

Brown, the Senate minority leader at the time, told the Associated Press the House Democrats' actions were "very appropriate under the circumstances" and "under certain circumstances, it's fair to say we would use all tools available to us ..." and stage a similar boycott.

"It would seem to be hypocritical of the Democrats to use the same, basically the same procedure that we're using now," Knopp said. "And then when we use it, say that it's not appropriate."

A KATU reporter asked a spokeswoman for Brown if he could talk on camera with her about the hypocrisy claims Friday and the spokeswoman said Brown was not available. A few minutes later KATU employees saw Brown being interviewed on CNN and in the clip, she did not address the claims of hypocrisy.

Brown's spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a subsequent email a KATU reporter sent asking why Brown was available to speak with CNN but not KATU.
In short, until a court determines otherwise, all evidence I have found shows that the Governor's actions are at least arguably legal. Meaning that aerius either talked out of his ass or lied, as usual. He did so to defend the argument that Republicans would be justified in murdering state troopers in the lawful execution of their duty for political reasons (ie, terrorism). He used those lies as a justification to defame and abuse me and try to discredit my arguments by personal attacks on my character and intelligence, as usual, though that is a fairly minor offense compared to defending terrorism and murder.

I'll also add, in response to his citing the passage from the Oregon Constitution saying that legislators are immune to arrest for most causes while the legislature is in session is of questionable relevance, given that so far as I can determine, the legislature is not currently in session due to these fucks' actions.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: A group of Republican politicians are in hiding — and US police have been sent to track them down

Post by Ralin »

The exact laws aside, why does anyone believe that it's okay for 11 members of the state Senate to be able to decide to prevent the Senate for voting on anything indefinitely anytime they feel like it?

Aerius keeps talking about how this is normal and perfectly legal and I'm guessing he's going to say that isn't the same as saying it's good or okay because FUCK THE MAN, GENERAL STRIKE AND BURN IT ALL DOWN, but he's pretty strongly implying that it's okay.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Ralin wrote: 2019-06-24 07:44pmThe exact laws aside, why does anyone believe that it's okay for 11 members of the state Senate to be able to decide to prevent the Senate for voting on anything indefinitely anytime they feel like it?
Where do you draw the line for what a quorum is for a legislative body? Oregon's senate obviously picked two thirds of the body. Should the line be half? A third? A quarter?

I'd note that quorum busting has a long tradition in US state politics. Notably the 2003 Texas Redistricting and 2011 Indiana Public Union Busting actions saw Democrats flee to New Mexico and Illinois respectively. Were their actions acceptable?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 12:09amWere their actions acceptable?
I can't see any reason why ex-percentage of a state Congress should be able to decide not to allow the state Congress to vote on things indefinitely by refusing to show up. Is there some reason why that sort of tactic shouldn't be met by some variation of being dragged back by the police and then arrested, kicked out or both?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Allow them a single 1 day of protest, unimpeded. It is a right in the United States.

However, for each additional day, fine them 15% of their yearly salary as an elected official. After 60%, they are considered to have resigned from their office, and bared from running for any state level elected office for 20 years. Until normal elections are called, that seat is considered to be voting 'abstain'.

That will get them back into their seats real fast.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ralin wrote: 2019-06-25 09:01am
TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 12:09amWere their actions acceptable?
I can't see any reason why ex-percentage of a state Congress should be able to decide not to allow the state Congress to vote on things indefinitely by refusing to show up. Is there some reason why that sort of tactic shouldn't be met by some variation of being dragged back by the police and then arrested, kicked out or both?
Easiest way to deal with that is drop the percentage for the quorum below 50%. If it’s below that threshold there’s no point in your side staging a walkout because if you could get that number of people to walkout you’d already have a majority and be the party in government.

Edit: maybe call it 40% to account for a few absentees due to illnesses etc.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 12:09am
Ralin wrote: 2019-06-24 07:44pmThe exact laws aside, why does anyone believe that it's okay for 11 members of the state Senate to be able to decide to prevent the Senate for voting on anything indefinitely anytime they feel like it?
Where do you draw the line for what a quorum is for a legislative body? Oregon's senate obviously picked two thirds of the body. Should the line be half? A third? A quarter?

I'd note that quorum busting has a long tradition in US state politics. Notably the 2003 Texas Redistricting and 2011 Indiana Public Union Busting actions saw Democrats flee to New Mexico and Illinois respectively. Were their actions acceptable?
How many regular joes can afford to just walk out of their job for a significant amount of time and still expect to have a position when they come back? Why should it be any different for politicians?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Jub wrote: 2019-06-25 11:07amHow many regular joes can afford to just walk out of their job for a significant amount of time and still expect to have a position when they come back? Why should it be any different for politicians?
Functionally none. However, most jobs wouldn't be subject to having the governor of a state threaten to arrest you if you don't come to work. Furthermore, you could even think of the state senators as having a contract position, and near the end of the contract, the bosses (constituents) get to decide if they want to extend the contract.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 05:37pmFurthermore, you could even think of the state senators as having a contract position, and near the end of the contract, the bosses (constituents) get to decide if they want to extend the contract.
That's a fun way to frame "in a few years they might get fired if their sabotage of government function works out."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 05:37pm
Jub wrote: 2019-06-25 11:07amHow many regular joes can afford to just walk out of their job for a significant amount of time and still expect to have a position when they come back? Why should it be any different for politicians?
Functionally none. However, most jobs wouldn't be subject to having the governor of a state threaten to arrest you if you don't come to work. Furthermore, you could even think of the state senators as having a contract position, and near the end of the contract, the bosses (constituents) get to decide if they want to extend the contract.
Again, the most straight forward way is to just lower the quota to ~40% or so to render the issue moot (to account for injuries, illnesses etc). If you have a majority by definition you’d also have quorum provided enough of your party shows up to vote. The opposing side would be more than welcome to walk outside in protest rather than vote against a bill if they want to.

Quorum in Canadian legislatures tend to be ~10-20% depending, and no one has ever really complained about that being a massive abuse of democratic principles.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Let me reframe it another way. The job of the politicians in question is to represent the interests of their constituents, in other words, the folks who voted them into office. Given that the folks they represent are Republicans, they probably don't agree with the bill that's on the table and want to see it get killed or delayed as much as possible. Viewed this way, the Republican politicians who walked out are in fact doing their jobs and supporting the interests of their constituents to the best of their ability. Walking out to deny a quorum and strand the bill is in fact doing their jobs.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

aerius wrote: 2019-06-25 06:17pm
Let me reframe it another way. The job of the politicians in question is to represent the interests of their constituents, in other words, the folks who voted them into office. Given that the folks they represent are Republicans, they probably don't agree with the bill that's on the table and want to see it get killed or delayed as much as possible. Viewed this way, the Republican politicians who walked out are in fact doing their jobs and supporting the interests of their constituents to the best of their ability. Walking out to deny a quorum and strand the bill is in fact doing their jobs.
On the other hand if the House has the power to enforce quorum by having politicians arrested and hauled in (I believe this is the case federally, not sure for individual states), that means they do not have the right to deliberately walk out to deny a quorum.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The walkout is small potatoes. The problem is issuing threats and enlisting the aid of the militia movement to fucking close the state capitol due to armed threats. Arguably a federal Fourth Amendment intervention to guarantee a republican form of government is on the table at this point if the governor asks.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Tribble wrote: 2019-06-25 06:31pmOn the other hand if the House has the power to enforce quorum by having politicians arrested and hauled in (I believe this is the case federally, not sure for individual states), that means they do not have the right to deliberately walk out to deny a quorum.
Some do, some don't, welcome to the joy of 50 states.

California for instance has the following rule:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/rules/senate_rules.pdf
Attendance of Senators3. No Senator may absent himself or herself from attendance upon the Senate without first obtaining leave. A lesser number than a quorum of the Senate is authorized to send the Sergeant at Arms for any and all absent Senators at the expense of the absent Senators, unless an excuse for nonattendance made to the Senate when a quorum is present shall be judged sufficient, and in that case the expense shall be paid out of the Senate Operating Fund. The President pro Tempore, or less than a quorum present, shall have the power to issue process directly to the Sergeant at Arms to compel the attendance of Senators absent without leave. Any Senator who refuses to obey that process, unless sick or unable to attend, shall be deemed guilty of contempt of the Senate, and the Sergeant at Arms shall have power to use force as may be necessary to compel the attendance of the absent Senator, and for this purpose he or she may command the force of the county, or of any county in the state.
It explicitly says that the President pro Tempore or however many Senators are left in the chamber may issue a process to have the remaining Senators brought in, and they may use any of the forces in the state to do so.

This is what Oregon says.
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/secre ... 0Rules.pdf
3.01 Quorum.(1)A quorum of the Senate is 20 members.(2) If a quorum is present, the Senate shall proceed with the transaction of business. When there is no quorum present, a lesser number of members may adjourn from day to day and compel the attendance of absent members.
If this happened in California, you could indeed use any law enforcement or other forces at your disposal to drag them in by force. Oregon doesn't have that clause in its legislature, or rather, it does not have anything about use of force to compel attendance. It says you may compel attendance if the remaining members choose to do so, but there's nothing on how that may be done which leaves open a giant can of worms. Anyone with a decent lawyer will tie that shit up for years and they all know this, which is why the cops are in no hurry to forcibly drag anyone back.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-06-25 05:47pmThat's a fun way to frame "in a few years they might get fired if their sabotage of government function works out."
It's a bipartisan legislative tactic.
Tribble wrote: 2019-06-25 06:11pmAgain, the most straight forward way is to just lower the quota to ~40% or so to render the issue moot (to account for injuries, illnesses etc). If you have a majority by definition you’d also have quorum provided enough of your party shows up to vote. The opposing side would be more than welcome to walk outside in protest rather than vote against a bill if they want to.

Quorum in Canadian legislatures tend to be ~10-20% depending, and no one has ever really complained about that being a massive abuse of democratic principles.
Tribble, I give you credit for actually being able to articulate a position on this. I happen to disagree with you, but I think we can agree to disagree on this ok?
aerius wrote: 2019-06-25 06:17pmLet me reframe it another way. The job of the politicians in question is to represent the interests of their constituents, in other words, the folks who voted them into office. Given that the folks they represent are Republicans, they probably don't agree with the bill that's on the table and want to see it get killed or delayed as much as possible. Viewed this way, the Republican politicians who walked out are in fact doing their jobs and supporting the interests of their constituents to the best of their ability. Walking out to deny a quorum and strand the bill is in fact doing their jobs.
It's almost as if the OUTRAGE we are seeing here is entirely partisan, after all, when Dems in Indiana did the same thing eight years ago it got.... maybe three posts.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 06:59pm
Gandalf wrote: 2019-06-25 05:47pmThat's a fun way to frame "in a few years they might get fired if their sabotage of government function works out."
It's a bipartisan legislative tactic.
Everyone does it, so it's cool? You wacky Republicans. :lol:

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 06:59pm
aerius wrote: 2019-06-25 06:17pmLet me reframe it another way. The job of the politicians in question is to represent the interests of their constituents, in other words, the folks who voted them into office. Given that the folks they represent are Republicans, they probably don't agree with the bill that's on the table and want to see it get killed or delayed as much as possible. Viewed this way, the Republican politicians who walked out are in fact doing their jobs and supporting the interests of their constituents to the best of their ability. Walking out to deny a quorum and strand the bill is in fact doing their jobs.
It's almost as if the OUTRAGE we are seeing here is entirely partisan, after all, when Dems in Indiana did the same thing eight years ago it got.... maybe three posts.
The Indiana Democrats didn't whistle up the Three Percenters to threaten the capitol building. That's the story here.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 05:37pm Functionally none. However, most jobs wouldn't be subject to having the governor of a state threaten to arrest you if you don't come to work. Furthermore, you could even think of the state senators as having a contract position, and near the end of the contract, the bosses (constituents) get to decide if they want to extend the contract.
If some dumbass 18 year old who enlists in the Army can be arrested and tried for leaving his post I'm not seeing why politicians pull shit like this can't be treated much the same way.

I say again, why should this be a legit tactic and why do you think X percent of the state senate should be able to decide to prevent the rest of the senate from voting if they don't think they're going to win?
aerius wrote: 2019-06-25 06:17pm
Yeah, I call bullshit. Many of the Republicans these senators support are probably totally okay with the one who threatened to kill state police who came to drag them back, and with the militia crap, that doesn't mean it's 'their job' to do it. Being popular with their base doesn't change the fact that this is sleazy at best.
aerius wrote: 2019-06-25 06:58pm
If this happened in California, you could indeed use any law enforcement or other forces at your disposal to drag them in by force. Oregon doesn't have that clause in its legislature, or rather, it does not have anything about use of force to compel attendance. It says you may compel attendance if the remaining members choose to do so, but there's nothing on how that may be done which leaves open a giant can of worms. Anyone with a decent lawyer will tie that shit up for years and they all know this, which is why the cops are in no hurry to forcibly drag anyone back.
Yeah Aerius, it’s really ambiguous what “can compel attendance” means in reference to senators who refuse to come to the senate and publicly declare they’re doing it so the senate can’t vote. It’s not at all obvious that this boils down to ‘drag them back so they have enough people in attendance’ and you aren’t bullshitting for the sake of bullshitting.
Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-06-25 06:49pm The walkout is small potatoes. The problem is issuing threats and enlisting the aid of the militia movement to fucking close the state capitol due to armed threats. Arguably a federal Fourth Amendment intervention to guarantee a republican form of government is on the table at this point if the governor asks.
I had a whole post written up earlier about how this sort of thing is only going to happen more and more until some state governor hats up and Occupy Beijing’s right-wingers who do this, and how right-wingers see Democrats as weak for putting up with this shit and frankly they’re right, etc. But I double-checked the facts, and it’s worth bearing in mind that there was only like senator who made threats and the rest was from militias who seem to be acting independently.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

My question for those of you against walk-outs: How do you feel about filibustering? As this, to me, seems to be an extension of that delaying tactic.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-06-25 07:20pm My question for those of you against walk-outs: How do you feel about filibustering? As this, to me, seems to be an extension of that delaying tactic.
I think they're ridiculous.

- George Carlin
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I think it matters to look at this holistically, rather than as a "both sides do this thing _therefore_ x." If you hyperfocus on this one particular problem, then you're going to end up finding excuses for the behavior based on law, precedent, past behavior, - depending on which party you support - and you won't fix anything or actually get anywhere in this discussion.

There are a lot of things wrong with the "Process" in which US legislative governance is conducted. Quorum busting, gerrymandering, filibustering, first-past-the-post elections, opt-in - rather than opt-out - voter registration, no federal/state election holidays... hell, the whole Bicameral legislature thing where one chamber can permanently stall the other... These are all tools built on foiling what the majority of voters actually vote for.

This quorum busting nonsense is just a small part of the overall dysfunction that allows a minority to obstruct the majority and make elections appear meaningless.

In my opinion, if you really want to judge this case, figure out how the Senate was elected and what the election results were, whether the districts are gerrymandered to hell or if they're drawn by a non-partisan commission, how voters are registered, etc. Judge how fair the election is. If you end up coming to the conclusion that the election fairly represents what the people of Oregon want, then saying stuff like "well, if the majority won't listen to the minority then poopoo on them" is really disingenuous. In a democracy, there is no obligation to have equal parity between the parties if one party legitimately wins a convincing majority of votes, which is what happened in Oregon in 2018 seeing as Democrats won ~59% of the Senate vote and ~57% of the House vote.

I have absolutely no knowledge on how Oregon conducts elections, but I imagine that they do a better job in achieving fairness than my native Texas.

Me, personally, in this specific case... I'm very frowny on the GOP as a whole because - as an institution - their entire political angle is based on bad faith and abuse of process, and their policies harm people and the planet. I have no sympathy for them if they're about to get arrested and fined to hell for wanting to prevent a vote on green policies.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 05:37pm
So the one with a 'more important' job should have more leeway not to do said job? That seems backwards to me.
This same group who promised they wouldn't walk out if other bills were killed... Yeah, I have little sympathy for a group that lies through their teeth and then kicks their toys out of the crib after getting their concessions. What's next, them chaining the doors shut to prevent a vote all Hollywood style. Would that be a fair way to conduct business?

Even if this tactic has been used in the past, does that make its use now an appropriate response to a fairly benign bill?
Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-06-25 07:20pm My question for those of you against walk-outs: How do you feel about filibustering? As this, to me, seems to be an extension of that delaying tactic.
Yes, these tit for tat partisan politics are juvenile and are one of the things leading to a loss of faith in government from voters for both parties. The job of the government is to efficiently, effectively, and safely run a nation not to fight over petty issues and pander for reelection. Fuck anybody on either side who'd rather take their ball and go home than work on shit to benefit the citizens they swore to serve.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-06-25 06:49pm The walkout is small potatoes. The problem is issuing threats and enlisting the aid of the militia movement to fucking close the state capitol due to armed threats. Arguably a federal Fourth Amendment intervention to guarantee a republican form of government is on the table at this point if the governor asks.
I think we all know that if Fuhrer Trump intervenes in this situation, it won't be on the side of the Democratic governor. The best thing we can do is pray the Feds don't touch it with a thirty foot poll.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Depends on the filibuster. If it's a filibuster to extend discussion of an issue, that's fine. This includes filibusters where all discussion is halted while evidence is being gathered, though I don't have any examples of this happening.

If it's just to delay the vote until some procedural matter kills the bill, that I do have a problem with.

Basically, it comes down to the difference between filibustering to try and change how other politicians will vote vs filibustering to prevent the vote.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-06-25 09:09pm
I think we all know that if Fuhrer Trump intervenes in this situation, it won't be on the side of the Democratic governor. The best thing we can do is pray the Feds don't touch it with a thirty foot poll.
The Constitution demands that states have a republican form of government and be protected from invasion and domestic violence. Forcing the legislature to not convene through threat of armed rebellion ticks boxes one and three there. There would be no grounds to intervene against the state government. Which just means that Trump wouldn't do anything, realistically. We're not at the stage where he'll send the Army to overthrow a state government because some militia loons want it overthrown.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!