Quebec Premier proposes ban on public servants wearing religious symbols- Montreal votes unanimously in opposition.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Quebec Premier proposes ban on public servants wearing religious symbols- Montreal votes unanimously in opposition.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5098239
'It is our duty to speak up': Montreal city council passes unanimous declaration against Bill 21

'Bill 21 does not reflect the daily reality of Montreal society which is rich and unique,' declaration says

Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante and opposition leader Lionel Perez held a joint news conference Monday before city council voted in favour of a bipartisan declaration against the Quebec government's secularism bill. (Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)

Montreal city councillors have unanimously adopted a declaration against the Quebec government's secularism bill, put forward by the mayor and leader of the opposition.

The bipartisan declaration, signed by Mayor Valérie Plante and Ensemble Montréal interim leader Lionel Perez, presents a unified front denouncing the bill, which would outlaw certain civil servants — including teachers and police officers — from wearing religious symbols at work.

"The message I want to send my population is that we are there. I want to bring their voice out saying, 'You have the right to have the same opportunities whoever you are, whatever you wear,'" Plante said at a joint news conference with Perez.

"It is our duty to speak up."

Plante and Perez put forward a bipartisan declaration against Bill 21, which was unanimously adopted in city council today. They held the news conference before the vote.

The declaration states that Quebec is already a secular society, and there is no need to legislate what employees wear.

"I'm asking the Premier and the government to listen to what the biggest metropolis of Quebec, but also what different groups and people, are saying," said Plante.

"I don't think it is for the majority to decide for the minority."

Bill 21 is the CAQ government's proposed law that would restrict public servants in positions of authority from wearing religious symbols, such as a hijab or a kippa.

"We cannot underestimate the value of the symbol of unity that we have today," Perez said. "The message that the largest city in Quebec is sending to the Quebec government on such an important societal debate."

"Bill 21 does not represent open secularism. It does not represent Montreal or Quebec values."

The mayor said she plans to tell the Quebec government how Bill 21 would affect the city's diverse population and way of life in a brief to parliamentary hearings on the draft law in coming weeks.

Watch Mayor Plante and Lionel Perez speak about why they are taking a stand on the bill.

Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante and Opposition leader Lionel Perez say that minority rights must not be ignored by the government as it debates its secularism bill. 1:24
Plante criticized the CAQ government's assertion that it would use the Constitution's notwithstanding clause, which allows a government to override the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

"It closes the debate before even allowing discussions to happen. There's no possibility of going deeper into the heart of the issue and how it's implemented," she said.

The bill is facing mounting opposition since it was presented in the National Assembly by Quebec Immigration Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette.

It is being criticized for impeding on people's right to practice their religion, and for its potential of dividing Quebecers and excluding minorities from public service.

Several hundred protesters gathered in front of the Bernard Lang Civic Centre in Côte Saint-Luc on Sunday to voice their opposition to Quebec's proposed religious neutrality bill. (Mélissa Francois/Radio-Canada)

Last week, Plante said though she believes the bill is flawed, her administration would not defy it as a provincial law.

"I am not going for disobedience, whatsoever," she told reporters in a scrum at city hall Friday.

Perez, who wears a kippa, attended one of two protests against the bill in Montreal over the weekend.

"It's part of who I am, it's part of what a lot of Quebecers are all about, and it's the new reality in Quebec," Perez said at the gathering at city hall in Côte Saint-Luc, citing the province's growing diversity and multiculturalism.

Montreal teen who dreams of joining police vows to fight religious-symbols ban
The declaration Montreal city councillors are voting on states that the bill "does not reflect the daily reality of Montreal society which is rich and unique in terms of culture and diversity."

It continues, "be it resolved:

that the City of Montreal reaffirm the inalienable character of open secularism to build the public space in the image of Montreal and of Quebec in the 21st century and to bring together Montrealers of all beliefs and of all origins.
that the City of Montreal reaffirm the importance of the secularism of municipal rules debated and passed in our democratic institutions, without regard for the religion of those who make the rules, debate them or apply them.
that the City of Montreal reaffirm its unwavering support for all of its employees, regardless of their religious beliefs."

Plante said the declaration is one of her ways of showing the city's disapproval of the bill without engaging in civil disobedience.
Good for Montreal. Anyone who thinks this is about secularism is wrong. This is about favoring certain religious over others, and we all know that the primary intent is to target Muslims. It will make it impossible for many practitioners to hold government jobs, and will stigmatize them and their beliefs.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Quebec Premier proposes ban on public servants wearing religious symbols- Montreal votes unanimously in opposition.

Post by Tribble »

Yes, ban all religious symbols but keep the crucifix in the provincial legislature on the pretense that its not religious. I mean really? Who buys that for a second?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Quebec Premier proposes ban on public servants wearing religious symbols- Montreal votes unanimously in opposition.

Post by Lord Revan »

Tribble wrote: 2019-04-16 12:26pm Yes, ban all religious symbols but keep the crucifix in the provincial legislature on the pretense that its not religious. I mean really? Who buys that for a second?
Why worry anyone "buying it" if it's the only avaible message to give, it seems that this ruling is designed to forbid those who would be against it from saying their peice.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tribble wrote: 2019-04-16 12:26pm Yes, ban all religious symbols but keep the crucifix in the provincial legislature on the pretense that its not religious. I mean really? Who buys that for a second?
Yeah, we all know what religion this is meant to target, and its name begins with an "I", not a "C".
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-16 05:11pm
Yeah, we all know what religion this is meant to target, and its name begins with an "I", not a "C".
Actually I'd say it meant to target any religion whose name doesn't start with "Chr" and even I wouldn't be surprised if certain subsets are targeted still.

Islam might be the most obvious target but these people probably not ok with jews, bubbist, hindu or any other alternative to their specific set of christianity, that's how it is with bigots.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

So uh, where does this leave First Peoples?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-04-17 02:38am So uh, where does this leave First Peoples?
Quebec indentity politics tends to conviniently omit them entirely. Most aren't of the habit of wearing cultural symbols that would fall under this sort of thing anyways, and their population is proportionately smaller within Quebec and concentrated in places far from where they can bother the pure laine, unlike the Muslims and Sikhs who live in downtown Montreal where everyone can see them.

If this was Western Canada, they'd be front and center, but in Quebec, they're an afterthought.