Michael Avenatti arrested for domestic violence- Republican operative who tried to frame Mueller takes credit.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Michael Avenatti arrested for domestic violence- Republican operative who tried to frame Mueller takes credit.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics ... index.html
(CNN)Attorney Michael Avenatti has been placed under arrest on suspicion of felony domestic violence and was booked early Wednesday evening.

Los Angeles Police Department officer Jeff Lee said the domestic violence report was taken on Tuesday in West Los Angeles and the arrest was made Wednesday.
"We can confirm that today LAPD Detectives arrested Michael Avenatti on suspicion of domestic violence. This is an ongoing investigation and we will provide more details as they become available," the LAPD Twitter account posted Wednesday.
In a statement, Avenatti called the allegations "completely bogus."
"I wish to thank the hard working men and woman of the LAPD for their professionalism they were only doing their jobs in light of the completely bogus allegations against me," he said. "I have never been physically abusive in my life nor was I last night. Any accusations to the contrary are fabricated and meant to do harm to my reputation. I look forward to being fully exonerated."
Avenatti posted $50,000 bail and left police custody Wednesday evening. He told reporters waiting outside the station, "I have never struck a woman. I never will strike a woman."
"I am confident I will be fully exonerated," he added.
The alleged domestic assault incident was first reported by TMZ.
Avenatti emerged this year as a regular antagonist of President Donald Trump, beginning with his legal representation of Stormy Daniels and his frequent media appearances. For months, he has publicly flirted with a potential bid for the Democratic presidential nomination to challenge Trump in 2020.
The alleged domestic violence incident could dash Avenatti's prospects as a potential insurgent Democratic candidate and clash with the image he has presented of himself as an advocate for women, including Daniels in her clash with Trump and an accuser against recently confirmed Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
The Vermont Democratic Party canceled Avenatti's appearances for Friday and Saturday following his arrest, and it will refund all ticket sales, said Christopher Di Mezzo, the party's communications director.
The decision to cancel the events was made "almost immediately after the news broke," he said.
The allegation would also mark another legal issue for the California attorney, whose firm settled a case with the IRS in July and was ordered last month to pay a multimillion-dollar judgment over debt to a former law partner.
Following his representation of Julie Swetnick for her allegations against Kavanaugh, Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley said in October that he was referring Avenatti and Swetnick to the Justice Department. Avenatti said at the time that the referral was "baseless." Several Democrats said in the wake of Kavanaugh's confirmation that Avenatti and Swetnick's involvement damaged their efforts to prevent Kavanaugh's confirmation -- a charge Avenatti denied.
This is a breaking story and will be updated.
https://www.inquisitr.com/5163540/jacob ... ti-arrest/
Jacob Wohl, the 20-year-old Donald Trump mega-fan and conspiracy theorist who on November 2 attempted to stage a hoax accusing Russia Investigation Special Counsel Robert Mueller of sexual assault, as NBC News reported, appeared on Wednesday to claim credit for the arrest of Michael Avenatti.

Avenatti, who skyrocketed to fame earlier this year as the media-friendly lawyer for adult video star Stormy Daniels in her lawsuit against Donald Trump, was arrested by Los Angeles detectives on Wednesday on suspicion of domestic violence, the LAPD confirmed on its Twitter account.

The news of Avenatti’s arrest, as the Inquisitr reported, first appeared on the celebrity gossip site TMZ — which initially said that the alleged victim was Avenatti’s estranged wife, Lisa Storie.

But after Storie issued a statement through her lawyer, posted on Twitter by CNN correspondent MJ Lee, denying that she was involved in any such incident, TMZ updated its own story.

“We were initially told by our sources the alleged victim was Avenatti’s estranged wife,” TMZ wrote in the update. “We now know it was not. The incident involved a different woman.” The site also reported that Avenatti would be released on $50,000 bail, with an “emergency protective order” prohibiting him from contact with the still-unidentified alleged victim.

But soon after the arrest was made public, a supposed private investigation firm — Surefire Intelligence — directly connected to Wohl and his attempt to frame Mueller, posted a cryptic message to its own Twitter feed. The post linked to a news report of Avenatti’s arrest, and contained the comment, “Surefire Intelligence strikes again.”

Wohl himself retweeted the Surefire Intelligence tweet. While Wohl has denied that he is connected to Surefire Intelligence, the supposed company “is linked to Wohl in numerous ways, including domain records and a company phone that redirects to a number registered to Wohl’s mother,” according to NBC News.

It was Surefire Intelligence that sent emails to several women offering them sizable cash payments if they would publicly and falsely accuse Mueller of sexual assault, according to the Above The Law legal blog.

Though he retweeted the “Surefire Intelligence strikes again” tweet, Wohl later posted a Twitter message of his own, appearing to take a high road with regard to the Avenatti arrest.

“Michael Avenatti is innocent until proven guilty. Even though I disagree with him, I grant the presumption of innocence that he refused to grant to Justice Kavanaugh,” Wohl wrote, referring to allegations by Avenatti’s client Julie Swetnick that then-Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh had participated in parties where women were drugged and gang-raped, as the Inquisitr has reported.

Following his release on bail, Avenatti denied the domestic violence allegations, calling them “completely bogus,” MediaIte reported.

“I have never struck a woman,” Avenatti said in his public statement. “I never will strike a woman. I have been an advocate for women’s rights my entire career and I’m going to continue to be an advocate. I am not going to be intimidated from stopping what I am doing. I am a father to two beautiful, smart daughters. I would never disrespect them by touching a woman inappropriately or striking a woman.”
CNN's Bonney Kapp contributed to this report.
I could really believe either here. Avenatti strikes me as an arrogant and ambitious man who is using his clients to try to jumpstart a bid for the Presidency (an office he is wholly unqualified to hold), and there are certainly reasons to question his integrity. I could very easily see him in the role of faux defender of women who's actually an abuser, and plays "white knight" for personal benefit.

That said, I can also see Republicans trying to frame him, because Republicans have made it clear that they will use politically-motivated abuse charges to try to simultaneously silence dissenters and discredit feminism. I expect that we'll conveniently see a lot of Democratic politicians and activists accused of abusing women in the next year or two.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Re: Michael Avenatti arrested for domestic violence- Republican operative who tried to frame Mueller takes credit.

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Dunno what he was trying to accomplish by tying himself to the allegations like that. Seriously, when your sole claim to fame is a hilariously bungled frame job, taking credit for anything just makes it seem like it's actually fraudulent. Like, I initially found the allegations against Avenatti to be plausible, but now I wonder if they're false.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Michael Avenatti arrested for domestic violence- Republican operative who tried to frame Mueller takes credit.

Post by Galvatron »

Why would Wannabe Stewart @ SDI claim credit though? What does he gain by both implicating himself and exonerating Avenatti?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

The supposed victim has come forward saying that Avenatti never hurt her and that they weren't even together on the date of the supposed violence. Sounds pretty fake to me.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Which part?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-11-15 02:21pmWhy would Wannabe Stewart @ SDI claim credit though? What does he gain by both implicating himself and exonerating Avenatti?
He couldn't resist bragging, I guess. Or maybe he was hoping it would be interpreted as "Surefire Intelligence" (who appear to be marketing themselves as some kind of private investigation firm) being hired to find dirt on Avenatti, not make it up out of whole cloth?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

So it seems like another attempt at slander/libel. How much longer until Surefire Intelligence will face court? (I am assuming that there will be an investigation into who filed these charges, which will lead to them.)

Or is this another area where US law means they can do as they please with no repercussions because of their lax laws?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-11-16 06:34am So it seems like another attempt at slander/libel. How much longer until Surefire Intelligence will face court? (I am assuming that there will be an investigation into who filed these charges, which will lead to them.)

Or is this another area where US law means they can do as they please with no repercussions because of their lax laws?
We do actually have slander/libel laws. This might fall under... I don't know, lying to police or something as well, given that they actually had Avenatti arrested. I would not be surprised at all if Mueller goes after them for trying to frame him up once he's concluded the Trump business, as well.

If they keep trying shenanigans like this, they're going to end up in a serious mess pretty soon. One has to wonder if they're being so cheeky because they've got dark money behind them whispering "do it, we'll bail you out if you actually get into trouble" while crossing their fingers...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Darth Yoshi wrote: 2018-11-15 03:02am Dunno what he was trying to accomplish by tying himself to the allegations like that. Seriously, when your sole claim to fame is a hilariously bungled frame job, taking credit for anything just makes it seem like it's actually fraudulent. Like, I initially found the allegations against Avenatti to be plausible, but now I wonder if they're false.
And, maybe that's the purpose of Wohl's actions, to provide Avenatti with a ready-made acquittal, at the expense of women.

If it goes to trial, the media might have a story about a woman murdering her kids fall conveniently into their laps.

Like what happened during a certain ex-jock's trial back in '94.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ok to echo some other comments, how has Starfire NOT been charged with something?
After the Muller fiasco, I figure “attempted bribery” and “false police claims” were pretty good bets to haul them into court...
But apparently NOTHING happened, and now it looks like yet again they are trying to frame a Trump enemy with false harresment claims?

Like seriously what the fuck
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Mueller thing just happened like a week or two ago right? And this Avenatti thing just happened like over the weekend? Give it time. I'm certain there are a bunch of lawyers being very busy right now.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Bob the Gunslinger

Galvatron wrote: 2018-11-16 02:10amWhich part?

Are you asking me? Well, in CA, domestic violence can be reported anonymously by a third party, and if there is a specific date, crime, perp and victim named, the police must book and hold the accused perp so he can be investigated. Someone leaked the supposed victim to TMZ, his ex wife, and when she was contacted she (and his other ex wife) said he had never been violent and that she wasn't with him on the date in Question. Also, Surefire is involved. Sounds pretty fake to me.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Bob the Gunslinger

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-16 12:59pm
Darth Yoshi wrote: 2018-11-15 03:02am Dunno what he was trying to accomplish by tying himself to the allegations like that. Seriously, when your sole claim to fame is a hilariously bungled frame job, taking credit for anything just makes it seem like it's actually fraudulent. Like, I initially found the allegations against Avenatti to be plausible, but now I wonder if they're false.
And, maybe that's the purpose of Wohl's actions, to provide Avenatti with a ready-made acquittal, at the expense of women.

If it goes to trial, the media might have a story about a woman murdering her kids fall conveniently into their laps.

Like what happened during a certain ex-jock's trial back in '94.
Why would Wohl want to give Avenatti an acquittal?

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I'm guessing he is implying that Wohl wants to discredit sexual assault victims in general, by saturating the media with high profile false claims, in order to implicitly case doubt on future accusations (i.e. "What if this is like that Mueller thing, remember that?"). While that is certainly a possibility, and there are certainly individuals who have made similar attempts before (see James O'Keefe), at the moment all evidence just points to Wohl being a complete and utter moron who is oblivious to the consequences of his actions.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its certainly a plausible motive, which fits perfectly with the Alt. Reich's Whataboutism and "Both Sides"-based propaganda. Want to push the narrative that "the women are lying" despite the paucity of actual false allegations? Manufacture false claims so that liberals are forced to defend the accused, and when real claims come forward in the future, they can say "the women are lying" with a side order of hypocrisy charges/whataboutism if liberals protest. The idea is to build the culture in which (white male) rapists are protected, and the presumption is on "the woman is lying".

That's not to say that Wohl is very good at this game, obviously. He pretty clearly isn't.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-16 12:59pm And, maybe that's the purpose of Wohl's actions, to provide Avenatti with a ready-made acquittal, at the expense of women.
Every time someone on the right goes too far for them, there is always someone saying that it's a 'false flag' attack. That it's really someone on the left, disguised as someone on the right, trying to make the right look bad.

What makes you think that the false flag accusation might be accurate this time ?
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-11-16 11:01pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-16 12:59pm And, maybe that's the purpose of Wohl's actions, to provide Avenatti with a ready-made acquittal, at the expense of women.
Every time someone on the right goes too far for them, there is always someone saying that it's a 'false flag' attack. That it's really someone on the left, disguised as someone on the right, trying to make the right look bad.

What makes you think that the false flag accusation might be accurate this time ?
The fact that the same idiot that staged a laughably transparent false flag last month also claimed credit for this one isn't good enough for you?
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's another level to this. The Left has called out Right-wingers for bullshit false flag narratives in the past, so now when the Right actually does a false flag operation, if we try to call it out everyone'll just start screaming "BOTH SIDES". And if we don't, then we accept the accusations against Avenatti, and then its "Liberals abuse women too! BOTH SIDES!"

And of course, the real meaning of the "both sides" narrative is not "both sides need to do better." Its a combination of "everyone is just as bad, therefore nothing matters, so what we do is okay", and "The other side is evil, therefore when we do the same things its justified." Its all part of the Putin-Trump agenda to create a post-truth and post-morality world.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Steel wrote: 2018-11-18 10:47am
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-11-16 11:01pm

The fact that the same idiot that staged a laughably transparent false flag last month also claimed credit for this one isn't good enough for you?
You claim laughably transparent. I see nothing to suggest a false flag attack over him just being an idiot.

So what evidence do you have that I haven't seen ?
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-11-18 09:41pm
Steel wrote: 2018-11-18 10:47am The fact that the same idiot that staged a laughably transparent false flag last month also claimed credit for this one isn't good enough for you?
You claim laughably transparent. I see nothing to suggest a false flag attack over him just being an idiot.

By "laughably transparent false flag last month" I was referring to the false flag attack attempted last month on Muller, not the current accusations.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Steel wrote: 2018-11-19 11:23am
Steel wrote: 2018-11-18 10:47am The fact that the same idiot that staged a laughably transparent false flag last month also claimed credit for this one isn't good enough for you?

By "laughably transparent false flag last month" I was referring to the false flag attack attempted last month on Muller, not the current accusations.
So was I.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-11-20 09:30pm
Steel wrote: 2018-11-19 11:23am

So was I.

Uhh, before this completely devolves, can I check what you are both saying?

I think that Bilats is saying that Wohl/Surefire Intelligence did do the attack on Avenatti and Mueller, but neither is a false flag attack.

I think that Steel is saying that both attacks were attempts at false flags, avoided by Wohl's own incompetancy.

---
A classic false flag attack is where you do something and make it look like the other side did it to justify your own 'retaliation'.
A classic espionage attack is when you do something stealthily, but without the intentional direction of the blame. The attack itself is the point.

Neither attack was setup to make it look a Democrat attacked a Democrat.

Both attacks were intended to be setup to make it look like the Progressive 'side' in the culture war had to attack or withdraw support for someone percieved to be 'on their side'. Ideally, it seems, the attack (the false accusation) would lead to directed blame (Feminist/Progressives undermining the two men), making life easier for the Regressive Patriot Feudalists.

In the case of Mueller, the setup phase failed. In the case of Avanetti, the setup phase succeeded, and was instantly undermined by Wohl. This suggests neither is a false flag under either the democract/republican or the SJW/RPF.
If the purpose of the second attack by Wohl is to undermine victims coming forward in the future, or as a threat to lawyers coming after him, that's a straightforward attack. A remarkably stupid one, but he has shown remarkable stupidty throughout.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-11-22 06:16am I think that Bilats is saying that Wohl/Surefire Intelligence did do the attack on Avenatti and Mueller, but neither is a false flag attack.
Correct. I'm saying that Wohl/Surefire is on the right and attempted to discredit Avenatti and Mueller.
I think that Steel is saying that both attacks were attempts at false flags, avoided by Wohl's own incompetancy.
I think Steel is saying is that Wohl/Surefire is really on the left but pretending to be someone on the right. His attacks are intended to make the right look bad by association, not to harm Avenatti or Mueller. So looking incompetent would be intentional.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Los Angeles prosecutor declines felony case against Avenatti

FILE - In this Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018, file photo, attorney Michael Avenatti speaks to the media outside the Los Angeles Police Department Pacific Division after being released from police custody following his arrest on a felony domestic violence charge in Los Angeles. Los Angeles prosecutors have declined to charge attorney Avenatti with a felony for allegedly abusing his girlfriend. The Los Angeles district attorney's office said Wednesday, Nov. 21, it referred the case to city prosecutors to consider misdemeanor charges. Avenatti was arrested on a felony domestic violence charge last week after his girlfriend told police he roughed her up at his apartment. (AP Photo/Michael Owen Baker, File)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles district attorney declined to prosecute attorney Michael Avenatti on felony domestic abuse charges on Wednesday and referred allegations that he roughed up his girlfriend to the city attorney for a possible misdemeanor case.

Avenatti, 47, was arrested on suspicion of felony domestic violence last week after his girlfriend told police he abused her at his Los Angeles apartment following an argument.

A restraining order against Avenatti was issued after actress Mareli Miniutti said he dragged her by the arm across a bedroom floor.
https://www.apnews.com/71d38227507640e796d0db0b9256f038

Misdemeanor charges still pending, but this does increase the possibility that the case was a frame-job.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

What is the procedure for the district attorney for deciding if a case gets referred to the city or dropped completely ?

Also, what's the difference between domestic violence being worth a misdemeanor charge or a felony ?