Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

Post by Thanas »

So in a response to Trump's behaviour, Merkel has publicly stated that Europe cannot rely on the USA anymore.

Winning at losing friends.
Europe can no longer completely rely on its longstanding British and US allies, Angela Merkel has warned – saying the EU must now be prepared to “take its fate into its own hands”.

Speaking after bruising meetings of Nato and the G7 group of wealthy nations last week, the German chancellor suggested the postwar western alliance had been badly undermined by the UK’s Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s election as US president.

“The times in which we could completely depend on others are, to a certain extent, over,” she told an election rally in Munich on Sunday. “I’ve experienced that in the last few days. We Europeans truly have to take our fate into our own hands.”

The chancellor told a 2,500-strong crowd in the Bavarian capital that Germany and Europe would naturally strive to remain on good terms with the US, Britain and other countries, “even with Russia”, but added: “We have to know that we must fight for our future on our own, for our destiny as Europeans.”
To put this into perspective: In the years of Bush, Merkel was willing to plunge the country into a constitutional crisis in order to stand by the USA. Good relations with the USA has been a German cornerstone of German poliics and one of the three core objectives of Merkel's politics. To abandon that principle must have taken some extraordinary amount of bullshit.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:So in a response to Trump's behaviour, Merkel has publicly stated that Europe cannot rely on the USA anymore.

Winning at losing friends.
Europe can no longer completely rely on its longstanding British and US allies, Angela Merkel has warned – saying the EU must now be prepared to “take its fate into its own hands”.

Speaking after bruising meetings of Nato and the G7 group of wealthy nations last week, the German chancellor suggested the postwar western alliance had been badly undermined by the UK’s Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s election as US president.

“The times in which we could completely depend on others are, to a certain extent, over,” she told an election rally in Munich on Sunday. “I’ve experienced that in the last few days. We Europeans truly have to take our fate into our own hands.”

The chancellor told a 2,500-strong crowd in the Bavarian capital that Germany and Europe would naturally strive to remain on good terms with the US, Britain and other countries, “even with Russia”, but added: “We have to know that we must fight for our future on our own, for our destiny as Europeans.”
To put this into perspective: In the years of Bush, Merkel was willing to plunge the country into a constitutional crisis in order to stand by the USA. Good relations with the USA has been a German cornerstone of German poliics and one of the three core objectives of Merkel's politics. To abandon that principle must have taken some extraordinary amount of bullshit.
Merkel would win a hundred billion lives by going to the US/Mexico border giving a speech with the line, "Mr Trump, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!" In it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Flagg this is fucking serious.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:Flagg this is fucking serious.
Oh I know. The post was in the vein of your link description about "Winning at losing friends."

It's so fucking absurdly disturbing and hard to believe we've come to this point that to not make some "gallows humor" out of it my only other reaction is to retch in horror. I honestly never thought that we'd have another "W" in my lifetime. And I'm not proven wrong (yet) because Trump is so much worse. It's like the sickest practical joke "God" has pulled since the binding of Isaac.

Honestly, if I went back in time and gave my past self cliffs notes on the first 4 and some change months of this Presidency I'd check myself into a mental ward. The world is upside down and inside out and I don't know if this nation can recover. Moreover I don't know if this nation deserves to, popular vote or not.

But I do apologize for coming off flippant.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

If Germany can't rely on her allies, what's the alternative? A military buildup? Wouldn't that make her neighbours a little nervous, given how that played out in the 1930s? I'm actually not joking here; it would strike me as strange if there weren't (for example) Polish or Belgian or Czech residents getting nervous at the thought of a more militarized Germany. But if the US isn't willing to see their Article V obligations as actual obligations, and Russia isn't playing nice these days, I don't know what alternative exists but for the European nations to beef up their military capabilities, not only in response to Russian actions but to each others' buildups.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm no expert in this field, and I welcome insight from those more knowledgeable than I am.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

SCRawl wrote:If Germany can't rely on her allies, what's the alternative? A military buildup? Wouldn't that make her neighbours a little nervous, given how that played out in the 1930s? I'm actually not joking here; it would strike me as strange if there weren't (for example) Polish or Belgian or Czech residents getting nervous at the thought of a more militarized Germany. But if the US isn't willing to see their Article V obligations as actual obligations, and Russia isn't playing nice these days, I don't know what alternative exists but for the European nations to beef up their military capabilities, not only in response to Russian actions but to each others' buildups.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm no expert in this field, and I welcome insight from those more knowledgeable than I am.
It sounded to me more like Chancellor Merkel was talking about Germany and her neighbors taking a more independent tack, rather than an expansionist one. So more like "We, the remainder of the EU need to band closer together as allies to forge our own way rather than rely on the US and UK for our (The EU as a whole) security against possible aggressors like Russia, etc."

I'd be concerned if the Germany of 2017 looked like the Germany of 1937, but it doesn't from what I can tell. Frankly if I were a citizen of an EU nation I'd rather rely on Merkel's Germany and whichever country I lived in for my security as opposed to the flaky UK or a President Trump led USA. Especially given the peeling of the onion to find Trump's Russian connections get deeper and deeper. After all, the only European country to annex part of its neighbor and intentionally cause unrest in the region this century is Vlad Putin's Russia.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly I wouldn't be surpriced if Poland or other similar nations would be more worried about German military build triggering a Russian response then Germany going on another blitzkrieg. For starters EU was formed to make sure that Germany has no reason to go to war with the western European powers and for eastern europe I suspect that they're more worried about threats coming from Moscow then ones coming from Berlin.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Lord Revan wrote:Honestly I wouldn't be surpriced if Poland or other similar nations would be more worried about German military build triggering a Russian response then Germany going on another blitzkrieg. For starters EU was formed to make sure that Germany has no reason to go to war with the western European powers and for eastern europe I suspect that they're more worried about threats coming from Moscow then ones coming from Berlin.
Doesn't NATO go to war with Russia if they fuck around with most of Central and all of Western Europe?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:I think you're right in the long run, but remember roughly 2 months ago they fawned over him after he ordered an air strike on dirt and runway in response to an alleged (or confirmed, I haven't seen anything about it and I'm not carrying water for the Syrian dictator) chemical weapons attack by Assad. The beltway media is more like an abused spouse that goes back to their abuser convinced that this time they really mean it when they say sorry and promise never to do it again.

That said, there will be a breaking point barring a large scale terrorist attack on American soil.
Yeah, it's an excruciatingly slow process. There are huge numbers of Americans, both in the elite and in the masses, who either 'respect the office' regardless of the personal character of the man, or just are not capable of understanding that a rich, brash, 'successful' man can also be a bad man, not just in the sense of 'immoral' but in the sense of 'low quality human being.'

They're learning, at most, slowly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Flagg wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Honestly I wouldn't be surpriced if Poland or other similar nations would be more worried about German military build triggering a Russian response then Germany going on another blitzkrieg. For starters EU was formed to make sure that Germany has no reason to go to war with the western European powers and for eastern europe I suspect that they're more worried about threats coming from Moscow then ones coming from Berlin.
Doesn't NATO go to war with Russia if they fuck around with most of Central and all of Western Europe?
If they attack a NATO member, Article 5 of the treaty kicks in, and it's considered an attack on all NATO members.

Whether or not people honour the treaty remains to be seen, because it has the potential to create a situation where one may have to decide whether to go to war with Russia over Estonia.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote:
Flagg wrote:
If they attack a NATO member, Article 5 of the treaty kicks in, and it's considered an attack on all NATO members.

Whether or not people honour the treaty remains to be seen, because it has the potential to create a situation where one may have to decide whether to go to war with Russia over Estonia.
Yeah, that's the big grey area. Like I don't think any great number of people in the international community appreciated McCain's "We're all Georgians!" Remarks when Russia took action there, though it wasn't a member of NATO.

Plus there's plenty of precedent for America ignoring its treaty obligations as well as international law. I mean I'm not one to be heartless and tell Estonia "Too bad, so sad, but I don't want my bones to glow for a million years." But I really don't want to get vaporized any time soon, as much as I'd sympathize with Estonians and support smuggling arms to them.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SCRawl wrote:If Germany can't rely on her allies, what's the alternative? A military buildup? Wouldn't that make her neighbours a little nervous, given how that played out in the 1930s?
No actually what Germany is and has been doing is letting the 1920s and 1930s play out all over again, with Russia taking the place of Germany, but largely the same everyone else. Through unilateral disarmament they are making themselves extremely vulnerable to an enemy that should not otherwise be anywhere near so threatening. Which means a lot more trouble happens that simply would not. Particularly not so threatening as for a full scale Russian conventional invasion of NATO to be plausible, which right now it bloody is.

German spending, and others, is so low its forces are not effective, they are not worth what they count up to be on paper, the hollow force problem. They would be devastated in combat because they lack key assumed capabilities (which in this case included real fundmental stuff like vehicle radios that work in 2014) This has come out in more and more detail, and still not addressed on any real scale, in the case of Germany some of the small increases since 2015 only served to restore money Germany cut even AFTER the Ukraine war began. And that's just fucking ridiculous.

Either Germany and everyone else lagging needs to spend more, or they need to openly and clearly admit, in you know the style democaries are supposed to follow, they don't believe the threat is real, in which case they also certainly don't need US troops in Europe. Certainly not on a large sustained scale involving combat brigades and fighter wings. Which would mean indeed NATO is obsolete, and disbanding it or more tightly defining its role would very certainly reduce tensions with Russia, assuming you think appeasing Russians, another brilliant 1930s concept, is a good idea ever. The Germans rather openly do think that.

Appeasement from a position of strength has merit, because its the same as showing mercy to all. From a position of weakness it only invites the other side to demand more. Its human nature on that.

Its the sustained dishonestly that annoys me most, NATO had a chance a few years ago to disclaim the 2% level, and choose not to do so. They didn't because they fucking knew that doing so would certainly cause US support to drop, because it was bloody obvious that only the US kept Putin in check at all, and because they bloody well know that the 2% limit was not arbitrary when it was agreed in the first place. Any of them still whining about it is as bad as Trump's denying the sky, its an insult to anyone capable of reading anything ever. They've had ample time to come up with new plans, new budgets, its time for results or time to shove it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

At least France is keeping up, 3.5% in 1988, 2.1% in 2015. They are atm the strongest european military power afaik.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vs0H3crCg

David Pakman having fun analysing handshakes involving Trump and how Trump tries to intimidate people with the handshake.

"A long confident handshake, squashing Donald Trump's tiny hands, and looking very satisfied." :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

This next one doesn't deserve its own thread so I put it here. Now granted Trump is merely continuing the hypocrisy of previous US administrations, buts its hell funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwoj3U5Awo

Basically a journalist asked why the US criticises Iran on democracy and how he characterises KSA democracy. Watch the painful long pause. And no your internet connection didn't stall.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Trump has now withdrawn from the Paris climate agreement. Well at least he kept this promise. Thanks America for allowing other countries to take a leadership role. :D I shall remember your magnanimity.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yay Germany, new leader of the free world. Good luck with that, guys.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
His Divine Shadow

Worked real well in the past.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

His Divine Shadow wrote:Worked real well in the past.
:roll:

Right, because Germany is totally still Nazi.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

His Divine Shadow

I didn't say the were still totally nazi. But no it didn't work out last time, and a lot of the EU's problems can be traced to Germany today, so no, their leadership isn't working out well this time around either. They're a buncha fuckups freeriding on the eurozone and fucking up neighboring countries economies in turn for their own short-term gain. They are one of the prime reasons the EU is not going to survive in the long run.

http://carnegieendowment.org/chinafinan ... kets/51899
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Eh, great powers tend to get that way by using other countries to an extent. They can't possibly fuck it up worse than America has since George W. Dumbass became President. Can they?

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ah yes, the old "The Germans are saving too much. Those monsters. How dare they run a balanced budget. They should increase debt as always."
------------
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Ah, HDS posted a spiel by Michael Petis. I pretty much stopped reading it after I saw his name as the author.

His Divine Shadow

Truth hurts. But in the end Germany will destroy the EU and it will be their fault, and they won't own it either after it's all said and done.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote:Ah yes, the old "The Germans are saving too much. Those monsters. How dare they run a balanced budget. They should increase debt as always."
I wouldn't say it's Germany's fault, but IMO the current setup of bailouts vs a formal fiscal transfer system and a currency union where many of the countries will never be able to compete with the German economy isn't working out very well, particularly when some of those countries are fiscally incompetent.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage