Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Theresa May calls snap General Election for June 8th

Post by His Divine Shadow »

This guy is apparently a right winger and liked it:
http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/co ... 2036528122

Whoops wait this was about the manifesto.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:So Corbyn has suggested a link between our foriegn policy and terrorist attacks and somehow rhis vaused outrage among everyone except UKIP. Who in a right for the wrong reasons thing agree with him.

Massively lost respect for the other opposition parties.
Why for the wrong reasons? Nuttall has the same reasons for saying it as Corbyn did. Either they are both wrong or they are both right.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

jwl wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:So Corbyn has suggested a link between our foriegn policy and terrorist attacks and somehow rhis vaused outrage among everyone except UKIP. Who in a right for the wrong reasons thing agree with him.

Why for the wrong reasons? Nuttall has the same reasons for saying it as Corbyn did. Either they are both wrong or they are both right.

Because Nuttal's probably doing it to reinforce the 'foreigners and immigration and muslims are so terrible it shouldn"t be allowed' narrative. Which Corbyn isn't.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The best comedy that came out of this was Michael Fallon's attempt to criticise Corbyn for saying it whilst actually referring to a direct quote from Boris Johnson.

Strong and Stable!
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:
jwl wrote:

Because Nuttal's probably doing it to reinforce the 'foreigners and immigration and muslims are so terrible it shouldn"t be allowed' narrative. Which Corbyn isn't.
Why do you think that? He never makes any link between immigration and wars in that interview, and does not mention it in relation to muslims or foreigners being "terrible". What he said was that intervention in Iraq, Syria, and Libya is bad because it destabilises the region and causes radicalisation of the people there. Corbyn would probably agree with that.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

jwl wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
jwl wrote: Why for the wrong reasons? Nuttall has the same reasons for saying it as Corbyn did. Either they are both wrong or they are both right.

Why do you think that? He never makes any link between immigration and wars in that interview, and does not mention it in relation to muslims or foreigners being "terrible". What he said was that intervention in Iraq, Syria, and Libya is bad because it destabilises the region and causes radicalisation of the people there. Corbyn would probably agree with that.
Why do I think that? Because I have familiarity of UKIP's Agenda and manifesto from the last several elections? Because they are a party of racist, isolationist, xenophobes?

Yes, in isolation, everything that is said is reasonable and I imagine Corbyn agress with. If it was in isolation which it is not, it goes hand in had with all UKIP's other bollocks. And if you beleive they mean what they say for the reasons they say. Which given their track record I am sceptical about.

Hence right for wrong reasons. Anyone in addition to jwl like to comment on my logic here?
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:
jwl wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:

Why do I think that? Because I have familiarity of UKIP's Agenda and manifesto from the last several elections? Because they are a party of racist, isolationist, xenophobes?

Yes, in isolation, everything that is said is reasonable and I imagine Corbyn agress with. If it was in isolation which it is not, it goes hand in had with all UKIP's other bollocks. And if you beleive they mean what they say for the reasons they say. Which given their track record I am sceptical about.

Hence right for wrong reasons. Anyone in addition to jwl like to comment on my logic here?
But UKIP have opposed intervention in Libya, Syria and Iraq for longer than Labour has, so going by party history, it's being pretty consistent.

If Nuttall wanted to link this to immigration, he would have linked this to immigration. He didn't.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yes, and? I agree with this position of theirs in isolation but it's part of a wider policy of xenophobic isolationism that I don't agree with. Just because they don't explicitly link it to immigration themselves doesn't change that.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

What do you think Corbyn would do with Brexit? Assuming that he has the influence either via the Conservatives only winning a minority to outright winning?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Hopefully keep his promise about holding a second referendum on whether or not to pretend this whole stupid interlude never happened when we have solid proof of just what the consequences are going to be.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh for fucksake...
Theresa May’s new head of policy has previously developed plans to cut employment rights and wages in poorer areas, it has emerged.

George Freeman, a Conservative MP, wrote a paper in 2013 arguing that the minimum wage and public sector pay should be “regionalised”.

The paper, ‘The Innovation Economy Industrial Policy’, which he co-wrote with fellow MP Kwasi Kwarteng, suggests reducing the minimum wage in areas where incomes are lower.

Other suggestions included halving corporation tax for big business, abolishing subsidies for green energy, and exempting corporations from paying tax or having to follow employment rights for their first three years.

It also said corporation tax should be cut to 10 per cent as a matter of course and advocating moving skilled workers from the public sector to the private sector.

The MP will now chair Ms May’s policy board – despite her suggestions that her government would help workers, rather than “the privileged few”.
Tories delenda est.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Corbyn and May will be having a nice little chat with Jeremy Paxman this evening
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I thought it was Lib Dems that were promising a second referendum

Labour waffle is much the same tory only not as likely to be hard afaik.
His Divine Shadow

Apparently Corbyn did very well in last nights "debate", Theresa May collapsed like a house of cards.
https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/8 ... 6225788931
His Divine Shadow

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Apparently Corbyn did very well in last nights "debate", Theresa May collapsed like a house of cards.
https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/8 ... 6225788931

Scrolling through I found this one interesting: https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/sta ... 8192409601

"Tonight confirmed what we already knew - Corbyn vulnerable on his own past. May vulnerable on her party's policies for the future."
His Divine Shadow

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/e ... s-10536780
The EU is prepared to delay the crunch Brexit talks if Jeremy Corbyn walks into Downing Street next week, according to reports.

The negotiations are due to begin on June 19 - just a week and a half after the general election.

Theresa May believes this tight timescale is a key reason why her Tory government should be re-elected.

She even claimed Mr Corbyn would be "alone and naked in the negotiating chamber" .

The Prime Minister said this week: "Britain is about to enter into the most important negotiations of my lifetime.

"They begin just 11 days after polling day and the European Union is already adopting an aggressive negotiating position.

"That’s why, now more than ever, Britain needs a strong government and a strong prime minister capable of standing up to Brussels."

But now the EU is prepared to give Britain "leeway" on the June 19 date if there is a change of government next week, according to reports.

Asked by politicshome.com if a new government could push back this start date, a European Commission source said: "They have got to agree the date, so yes, if the UK was to turn around and say ‘we need a bit of leeway’.

"We don’t have a lot of leeway in the big scheme of things.

"There are only a number of months - less than two years - to do this so there isn’t a terrible lot of scope, but the Commission will agree with the UK the dates for the first negotiating sessions."

Article 50 was triggered in March when Britain's ambassador to the EU, Tim Barrow, handed a six-page letter from Mrs May to European Council president Donald Tusk.

This fired a two-year starting pistol on talks to agree the terms of Britain's exit from the EU.

It was followed by a huge political row over the size of Britain's divorce bill, which could be as large as €100billion , according to some inside the EU.

Mrs May later accused EU officials of trying to meddle in the general election as the size of the divorce bill ramped up.

In a blistering attack on the steps of Downing Street, she said: "Threats against Britain have been issued by European politicians and officials.

"All of these acts have been deliberately timed to affect the result of the general election that will take place on 8 June."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I have a very hard time imagining Corbyn actually winning (though if there is any justice, the Conservatives ought to pay a steep price at the polls for their handling of Brexit). But the idea that May is somehow more fit to handle the negotiations than a newcomer, just because she and her party have been bungling the issue spectacularly for the last few years, is absurd. As if Europe is going to give her anything they don't have to.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
His Divine Shadow

If there's any justice the tories are pounded into the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbUqcc2bGs
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Zaune wrote:Hopefully keep his promise about holding a second referendum on whether or not to pretend this whole stupid interlude never happened when we have solid proof of just what the consequences are going to be.
Corbyn has made no such promise and indeed ruled one out. He is afterall pro Brexit.

Corbyn has a very difficult task to win this election, his policy base is good but most of his front bench including himself have serious issues surrounding them with baggage.

When you consider how appalling the Tories are doing at the moment it shows at some length how badly Labour are doing that this isn't going to be a landslide victory for them, May might as well be offering an open goal.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
His Divine Shadow

From last nights debate (honest)
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Darth Tanner wrote:
Zaune wrote:Hopefully keep his promise about holding a second referendum on whether or not to pretend this whole stupid interlude never happened when we have solid proof of just what the consequences are going to be.
Corbyn has made no such promise and indeed ruled one out. He is afterall pro Brexit.

Corbyn has a very difficult task to win this election, his policy base is good but most of his front bench including himself have serious issues surrounding them with baggage.

When you consider how appalling the Tories are doing at the moment it shows at some length how badly Labour are doing that this isn't going to be a landslide victory for them, May might as well be offering an open goal.
Not necessarily. They aren't doing very well at the campaign itself (and that might cost them the election), but despite that, Theresa May still has a +11 point approval rating. Cameron, Miliband, and Clegg would all be in the negatives by now if you are measuring post-2010 vs post-Theresa May's appointment. Corbyn has negative approval ratings but that is normal for a party leader these days (Farron and Nuttall have negative approval ratings too).
His Divine Shadow

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

30 miles down the road from me. I was a bit surprised with a cold mist enveloping the area this morning. Now I know the Icebot was around..

Also forgot it was the end of May yesterday.

I'll get me coat!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0