Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb
German police are investigating a "probable terrorist attack" after a man ploughed a lorry into a Christmas market in the heart of Berlin, killing 12 people and injuring 48.

They have detained the driver, who security sources reportedly say is an Afghan or Pakistani asylum seeker.

He arrived in Germany in February as a refugee, the DPA news agency said.
The daily Tagesspiegel said the man was known to the police for minor crimes, but not terror links.

"All police measures related to the suspected terrorist attack at Breitscheidplatz are progressing at full steam and with the necessary diligence," Berlin Police said on Twitter.
Fucks sake.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

Post by wautd »

Maybe I'm cynical but I'm surprised sick shit like doesn't happen more often considering how extremist mainstream Islam in Pakistan is.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Another "lone wolf".

Merkel better hurry up with the Truth Ministry, maybe it could become an act of terrorism to report on terrorism, so to prevent the polarization of Germany?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

And the Alt. Rightist vultures come crawling out, ready to exploit the dead to advance the cause of xenophobia.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

cosmicalstorm wrote:Another "lone wolf".

Merkel better hurry up with the Truth Ministry, maybe it could become an act of terrorism to report on terrorism, so to prevent the polarization of Germany?
Individuals radicalize independently and locally. No conspiracy is required, and driving a lory into a crowd is the exact sort of terrorist attack that requires no organized logistics or support from, or even knowledge by an outside group. If I wanted to go and ram my car into a bunch of people I hate tomorrow, I could easily do it. Would you conclude that if I did so in the general direction of a souther baptist church on christmas morning that my terrorist attack is the result of a vast gay conspiracy?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Police are now saying the arrested refugee was probably not the attacker.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The Romulan Republic wrote:And the Alt. Rightist vultures come crawling out, ready to exploit the dead to advance the cause of xenophobia.
This is the religious right, regularly murdering people in the name of their religion. Why are you running interference for them with idiotic accusations of "xenophobia"?

For fuck's sake, who do you think you're helping if you're also letting in the psychos the refugees need refuge from?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Grumman wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:And the Alt. Rightist vultures come crawling out, ready to exploit the dead to advance the cause of xenophobia.
This is the religious right, regularly murdering people in the name of their religion. Why are you running interference for them with idiotic accusations of "xenophobia"?

For fuck's sake, who do you think you're helping if you're also letting in the psychos the refugees need refuge from?
I was responding to cosmicalstorm's dogwhistle bull shit.

Perhaps you want to reconsider your words, because it sounds like you're suggesting that I condone Islamist terrorism.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Is the regular response to terrorists attacks being people with political axes to grind coming out of the woodwork and passive aggressively accusing the other's general political leaning a new thing or has it always been this way?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote:Is the regular response to terrorists attacks being people with political axes to grind coming out of the woodwork and passive aggressively accusing the other's general political leaning a new thing or has it always been this way?
This argument has been going on pretty much constantly, in one form or another, since September of 2001. Probably before then too, but I didn't follow these sorts of issues much before then.

Terrorist attack happens. Right wingers fear monger about terrorist (in their minds, synonymous with Muslim) take over. Others argue back. And 'round and 'round we go.

It'll almost certainly get much, much worse before it gets better.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

This is your first thought? So sad...

TRR you are the only one who decided to engage in the political opportunism you describe. You sabotaged your own BS while assuming the role you claim to be reacting to.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Patroklos wrote:

TRR you are the only one who decided to engage in the political opportunism you describe. You sabotaged your own BS while assuming the role you claim to be reacting to.
Yeah, because cosmicalstorm's insinuation that the German government protects terrorists for the sake of political correctness wasn't "political opportunism" at all. :roll:

And yeah, that probably is going to be my first though these days, at least after some variation on "God damn it, another one". Because every time something like this happens, certain people immediately try to exploit it to advance their bigoted, authoritarian cause. And, funny thing, I don't like seeing the victims of these crimes used to try to create more victims.

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

It's as if going all "religion of peace am i rite" "why don't people just call it radical ISLAMIC terrorism" "ban all muslim refugees!!!" "the Islam Apologists Ministry of Truth will set us all free" et. al. without any context whatsoever in every story involving terrorist activities leads people to draw conclusions on your toxic political leanings.

Get a clue.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Patroklos wrote:

Yeah, because cosmicalstorm's insinuation that the German government protects terrorists for the sake of political correctness wasn't "political opportunism" at all. :roll:

And yeah, that probably is going to be my first though these days, at least after some variation on "God damn it, another one". Because every time something like this happens, certain people immediately try to exploit it to advance their bigoted, authoritarian cause. And, funny thing, I don't like seeing the victims of these crimes used to try to create more victims.
That's nice little root. You do understand that you are indistinguishable from comicalstorm for a most intents and purposes right?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Zixinus wrote:Is the regular response to terrorists attacks being people with political axes to grind coming out of the woodwork and passive aggressively accusing the other's general political leaning a new thing or has it always been this way?
Look what happens with any spree shooting in the US, how quickly it degenerates into yet another gun control argument. TBH, if there's some controversial political fight that is somehow connected to a particular tragedy (gun control, religiously motivated terrorism, refugees, etc.), expect there to be a shitfest about it before the victims' bodies are even cold.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

There seems to be confusion about the attacker. God knows if I was a Paki and nearby such a scene god knows I would run for it to avoid a lynching.

If it turns out this was some mentally deranged Pole I have no problems apologizing for coming to conclusions, but this kind of attack stinks Salafascism all the way due to Nice.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

cosmicalstorm wrote:There seems to be confusion about the attacker. God knows if I was a Paki and nearby such a scene god knows I would run for it to avoid a lynching.

If it turns out this was some mentally deranged Pole I have no problems apologizing for coming to conclusions, but this kind of attack stinks Salafascism all the way due to Nice.
Yeah, I wonder why anyone who is Pakistani (ah, your racial slurs...) or for that matter Muslim at all would be afraid of vigilante mobs with people like you constantly hyperventilating about EVIL MUSLIMS! nearly every single time something happens. It's as if you have a bias or an agenda to uphold, hmm...

Vehicular homicide is far from being exclusive to Islamic fundamentalists. You're part of the problem.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

How do they know it was a terrorist attack and not just a shitty driver? I mean we have incredibly old people who shouldn't operate shopping carts elderly drivers that kill more people when they hit the gas instead of the brakes all the time.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Flagg wrote:How do they know it was a terrorist attack and not just a shitty driver?
Because the truck driver was murdered before the attack.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

According to the article:
That meant the culprit was still on the run, and far-right politicians wasted no time in pinning responsibility for the deaths on Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Dragon Angel wrote:Yeah, I wonder why anyone who is Pakistani (ah, your racial slurs...)
Maybe it's an Australian thing because we have no objection to being called 'Aussie' which to me, but 'Paki' seems like a similar contraction of an otherwise four syllable word. To me it just seems practical, like Aussie.

What is interesting here though is that the attacker didn't try to die in the course of the attack. The vast majority of these sorts of attacks are suicide missions, are they not?

Honestly though I'm surprised that people who are willing to just plow though pedestrians aren't doing more malevolent things in general.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Really depends. Contemporarily... suicide attacks are kinda not-that-old. They emerged in the 80s... and became a fad after. In the Soviet-Afghan war, the Mujahadeen didn't do suicide attacks that much, I think. And that was like the greatest jihad of all time. Ever. Against the greatest enemy ever. Soviet Russia. Only the Butlerian Jihad and Leto II's jihad would surpass that.

And in the other pre-80s conflicts, from Black September massacrating Munich to the Battle for Algiers to all those hostage takings of airplanes that inspired all sorts of Chuck Norris movies, suicide attacks didn't figure that much.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Kojiro wrote:
Dragon Angel wrote:Yeah, I wonder why anyone who is Pakistani (ah, your racial slurs...)
Maybe it's an Australian thing because we have no objection to being called 'Aussie' which to me, but 'Paki' seems like a similar contraction of an otherwise four syllable word. To me it just seems practical, like Aussie.
Yeah, it's a similar contraction. But its use is what makes the difference.

As an example, tell me about how one could contract the word "Aboriginal."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Flagg wrote:How do they know it was a terrorist attack and not just a shitty driver? I mean we have incredibly old people who shouldn't operate shopping carts elderly drivers that kill more people when they hit the gas instead of the brakes all the time.
Dead polish driver in the passenger seat, shot and stabbed to death?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944