The 2016 US Election (Part IV)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crown
NARF

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part IV)

Post by Crown »

Flagg wrote:
Crown wrote:
Chardok wrote:So yeah...we have a racist, kidfucking, rapist billionaire at the head of the most powerful country in the world...put there by the will of the people. That's the part that's so stunning to me...we...wanted him to win....or (maybe) the normies stayed home thinking that there weren't enough brown-people hating weirdos out there to get him into the white house. This doesn't feel real.
Bill can't run again dude, take deep breaths.
Bill Clinton isn't a billionaire, racist, or kidfucker. Stop projecting.
I notice that you left rapist off your reply, Freudian slip? :lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Flagg wrote:
Crown wrote:
Flagg wrote:Basically my assessment is that Clinton was doing so well in the polls, with an uptick on Election Day itself, that people who were planning on voting for her became complacent and stayed home. That's the only way the polls and end result makes sense short of Russian hackers (Trump and Putin are masturbation buddies) and without evidence of that happening I have to discount it.

In any case, Americans are fucking stupid.
Or the polls were wrong.

You know, which ever is more likely.
Yeah, I'm sure every poll was wrong. It was all a conspiracy! Are you a truther and anti-vaxxer, too you fucking idiot?
It's very hard to measure enthusiasm in a poll. If it's true that she got really low levels of turnout, that'd do it.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

It's that arrogant, smug self-assured sense of victory that cost the political elites (both Democrat and Republican) this campaign. They were so out of touch with the reality on the ground that they naively assumed the general population was domesticated enough to go along with whatever they had planned. People wanted to see change. Clinton and the other Republican candidates represented the status quo and the inevitable backlash against it could be seen a mile away. Sanders had offered change, but was effectively shut out from the get go. So that left Trump, and people were fed up enough and desperate to give him a try.

I was not surprised that Trump won the nomination and eventually the presidency, it was nakedly obvious something like that was going to happen for those who cared to look.
Last edited by Tribble on 2016-11-09 01:47pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Crown wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Crown wrote:
Bill can't run again dude, take deep breaths.
I notice that you left rapist off your reply, Freudian slip? :lol:
No, Bill Clinton is a rapist. So what? He wasn't on the ballot. Go drink some more paint.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Chardok wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Crown wrote:Bill can't run again dude, take deep breaths.

I think he was joking?
He was engaging in a Red Herring. Because that's what people who know they are wrong (but oblivious to their monumental stupidity) do.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Flagg wrote:
Crown wrote:I notice that you left rapist off your reply, Freudian slip? :lol:
No, Bill Clinton is a rapist.
Wait what? :shock: :lol:
Flagg wrote:So what? He wasn't on the ballot.
He kinda was. And so was she; is it your claim now that the most vagina of all vaginas who will fight for vaginas everywhere is knowingly associating with a rapist and this shouldn't be perhaps considered at all?
Flagg wrote:Go drink some more paint.
It's Labrot & Graham Woodford Reserve, and it's delicious.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Chardok wrote:So yeah...we have a racist, kidfucking, rapist billionaire at the head of the most powerful country in the world...put there by the will of the people. That's the part that's so stunning to me...we...wanted him to win....or (maybe) the normies stayed home thinking that there weren't enough brown-people hating weirdos out there to get him into the white house. This doesn't feel real.
This was not the will of the people, or at least, not unambiguously so. Last I heard, Clinton was leading in the popular vote by some 200,000 votes.

The people, it seems, voted for Hillary Clinton.

And the Electoral College told us to go fuck ourselves.

Now two out of our last three Presidents will have won office against the will of the voters.

Our first priority as a nation must be to reform or abolish the obsolete, undemocratic, and morally bankrupt Electoral College.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

While this is a nightmare, I do find it hilarious that a lot of blame and hate are going to unaffiliated voters. Now I held my nose and voted for HRC, didn't like it one bit and really dislike the woman but did it to stop orange Hitler. It is not hard to envision that others like me could not hold their nose. It is not their fault Clinton was so toxic. The Dems have no one to blame but themselves. Oh, they will try to blame others, we saw the soul searching of the GOP a few years back lead to nothing I don't expect the Dems to do any better.

The only 'good' news I can take away from this is the GOP now has to actually govern. They own both Houses and POTUS, there are no more excuses so they have to govern. I'm pretty confident they'll fuck it all up, I doubt (and I'll eat crow if I have to) they'll get the economy working for anyone making less than billions a year, or really make good on middle class jobs. So the Mid Terms should wreak havoc on the GOP. Maybe the Dems can pull their head out of their ass and run people without huge negative numbers for likability.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
This was not the will of the people, or at least, not unambiguously so. Last I heard, Clinton was leading in the popular vote by some 200,000 votes.

The people, it seems, voted for Hillary Clinton.

And the Electoral College told us to go fuck ourselves.

Now two out of our last three Presidents will have won office against the will of the voters.

Our first priority as a nation must be to reform or abolish the obsolete, undemocratic, and morally bankrupt Electoral College.
While true, it is both the system we have and the numbers as you pointed out were not that far off from previous elections. I'm all for ditching the EC but good luck with that. The powers that be on both sides know it and know how to game it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Our first priority as a nation must be to reform or abolish the obsolete, undemocratic, and morally bankrupt Electoral College.
You would not be saying this if the exact opposite had just played out last night (i.e. Hillary won EC but lost popular vote), would you?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, the best bet appears to be the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

It would not actually abolish the EC, but would essentially neuter it, and force it to comply with the popular vote (or rather, the popular vote excluding territories, but the disgraceful treatment of US territories is a whole other issue). It also would not require a Constitutional Amendment, and is indeed more than half-way to being implemented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... te_Compact
The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC) is an agreement among several U.S. states and the District of Columbia to award all their respective electoral votes to whichever presidential candidate wins the overall popular vote in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. The compact is designed to ensure that the candidate who wins the most popular votes is elected president, and it will come into effect only when it will guarantee that outcome.[2][3] As of 2016, it has been joined by ten states and the District of Columbia; their 165 combined electoral votes amount to 30.7% of the total Electoral College vote, and 61.1% of the 270 votes needed for it to have legal force.
If you are horrified and disgusted by last night's result, I believe that their is nothing better you can do for your country, your democracy, and the world than to support this compact in your state.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Crown wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Our first priority as a nation must be to reform or abolish the obsolete, undemocratic, and morally bankrupt Electoral College.
You would not be saying this if the exact opposite had just played out last night (i.e. Hillary won EC but lost popular vote), would you?
I certainly would be. Let the will of the American people as a whole be heard, for better or worse.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crown wrote:
Yes, because all us Democrats don't actually have real principles, right? :roll:

I imagine that I would have been glad that Trump wouldn't be President, but dismayed and disappointed by the manner in which it happened. And I had problems with the Electoral College long before this. Last night's result just drove the point home.

But don't let that stop you from making assumptions and pulling accusations out of your ass.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I don't think it would be fair to abolish the electoral college entirely as that would mean only urban areas / big states matter, but the electoral college should be reformed. IMO at the very least they should make it so that the electors are given out proportionately in each state rather than "winner take all," even if it was just 50% +1 of the vote. For example, if there are 20 electors in a state, and you have 55% of the vote in that state, that will give you 11 electors rather than all 20.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So, are the Reps going to fall in line behind Trump or fight him tooth and nail? I honestly don't know. I watched a pretty good documentary talking about GWs early presidency and he had significant opposition from his own party in Congress trying to make good on his campaign promises. Really, the only thing of note he got through was No Child Left Behind. The current mentality was "everything is good coming off the Clinton presidency, don't fuck with it." Without 9/11, Bush was shaping up to be pretty lackluster. Of course, I can't back this up because everything about Bush is "9/11 defined his presidency." There's nothing I can find from Jan-Aug 2001.

Anyways, that was 15 years ago. America seems a Hell of a lot more polarized now. Actually, politics seems more polarized, while moderates are more and more being left to vote candidates jumping off both end of the spectrum.

So, with Reps fully at the wheel now, does Trump get carte blanche? Or is the party that tried to throw him under the bus and that he gives no fucks about/also tried to throw under the bus fight him to keep him from doing too much damage? Or because they don't like him?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I know exactly what most Republicans will do. They didn't have the guts to really stand up to Trump when he was thought likely to lose, and they sure as hell won't do it when he's President and can (however falsely) claim to have a mandate from the voters. They're too afraid of getting primaried and/or shot by their base.

Fucking cowards.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Knife wrote:While true, it is both the system we have and the numbers as you pointed out were not that far off from previous elections. I'm all for ditching the EC but good luck with that. The powers that be on both sides know it and know how to game it.
2000 and 2016 beg to differ on the Democrats being able to game the system on the EC. It's potentially twice now that they won the popular and lost the EC. Have they won the EC and lost the popular since the Southern Strategy caused parties to effectively switch positions?
Tribble wrote:I don't think it would be fair to abolish the electoral college entirely as that would mean only urban areas / big states matter, but the electoral college should be reformed. IMO at the very least they should make it so that the electors are given out proportionately in each state rather than "winner take all."
Nonsense. A straight popular vote would mean that Farmer Joe and Wall Street Winston would both have equal power in the election. More immediate focus may be placed on large/dense population centers, but it would make it so the tactic of only going to swing states is utterly non-viable.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Crown wrote:
Yes, because all us Democrats don't actually have real principles, right? :roll:

I imagine that I would have been glad that Trump wouldn't be President, but dismayed and disappointed by the manner in which it happened. And I had problems with the Electoral College long before this. Last night's result just drove the point home.

But don't let that stop you from making assumptions and pulling accusations out of your ass.
Isn't it interesting how all of the rightwing termites are crawling out of the woodwork to troll a board they've not participated in for years since their pedophile, rapist, liar, racist, misogynist, and likely psychopathic idol managed to get enough "people" out of their caves to vote for him?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Crown wrote:
You strike me as a reactionary ideologue prone to doom and gloom and incapable of seeing beyond the end of your narrative (I couldn't possibly imagine why), so it's a fair question to ask.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I imagine that I would have been glad that Trump wouldn't be President, but dismayed and disappointed by the manner in which it happened. And I had problems with the Electoral College long before this. Last night's result just drove the point home.
With you for the first part, suspect you would have been 'dismayed' not because the EC 'stole' the election for Hillary but because you would have been freaking out how the majority of American voters do not see the world the way you do (hint; you would be calling them racist, misogynist, other 'ists' add your own). And then you finish by not actually answering my question, let me ask it again; Would you have posted that little rant if the roles were reversed? Yes or no?
The Romulan Republic wrote:But don't let that stop you from making assumptions and pulling accusations out of your ass.
Answer the question.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:
Knife wrote:While true, it is both the system we have and the numbers as you pointed out were not that far off from previous elections. I'm all for ditching the EC but good luck with that. The powers that be on both sides know it and know how to game it.
2000 and 2016 beg to differ on the Democrats being able to game the system on the EC. It's potentially twice now that they won the popular and lost the EC. Have they won the EC and lost the popular since the Southern Strategy caused parties to effectively switch positions?
Tribble wrote:I don't think it would be fair to abolish the electoral college entirely as that would mean only urban areas / big states matter, but the electoral college should be reformed. IMO at the very least they should make it so that the electors are given out proportionately in each state rather than "winner take all."
Nonsense. A straight popular vote would mean that Farmer Joe and Wall Street Winston would both have equal power in the election. More immediate focus may be placed on large/dense population centers, but it would make it so the tactic of only going to swing states is utterly non-viable.
Yeah, as it stands now, Floridians (another word for weird morons) and Ohioans have more of a say in who becomes president than someone in New York, Texas, and California.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Flagg wrote:Isn't it interesting how all of the rightwing termites are crawling out of the woodwork to troll a board they've not participated in for years since their pedophile, rapist, liar, racist, misogynist, and likely psychopathic idol managed to get enough "people" out of their caves to vote for him?
Isn't it interesting how your narrative is based purely on character assassination and double standard (assume all accusations against the GOD EMPEROR are true, but scream bloody murder if people do the same for the Clintons) mud flinging?

...Nah, just boring and oh so you.

Speaking of caves, climb out of yours, it will be alright;

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Crown wrote:
Crown wrote:
You strike me as a reactionary ideologue prone to doom and gloom and incapable of seeing beyond the end of your narrative (I couldn't possibly imagine why), so it's a fair question to ask.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I imagine that I would have been glad that Trump wouldn't be President, but dismayed and disappointed by the manner in which it happened. And I had problems with the Electoral College long before this. Last night's result just drove the point home.
With you for the first part, suspect you would have been 'dismayed' not because the EC 'stole' the election for Hillary but because you would have been freaking out how the majority of American voters do not see the world the way you do (hint; you would be calling them racist, misogynist, other 'ists' add your own). And then you finish by not actually answering my question, let me ask it again; Would you have posted that little rant if the roles were reversed? Yes or no?
The Romulan Republic wrote:But don't let that stop you from making assumptions and pulling accusations out of your ass.
Answer the question.
Fuck off, troll. He's been against the EC and posting about his opposition to it for some time. You'd know that if you didn't just climb out of the sewer today to harass and troll people.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Crown wrote:
Flagg wrote:Isn't it interesting how all of the rightwing termites are crawling out of the woodwork to troll a board they've not participated in for years since their pedophile, rapist, liar, racist, misogynist, and likely psychopathic idol managed to get enough "people" out of their caves to vote for him?
Isn't it interesting how your narrative is based purely on character assassination and double standard (assume all accusations against the GOD EMPEROR are true, but scream bloody murder if people do the same for the Clintons) mud flinging?

...Nah, just boring and oh so you.

Speaking of caves, climb out of yours, it will be alright;

Poor baby. I love your assumption that my only news sources are the American 24 hour networks. You just love being wrong, don't you troll?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Flagg wrote:Fuck off, troll. He's been against the EC and posting about his opposition to it for some time. You'd know that if you didn't just climb out of the sewer today to harass and troll people.
If he or you could provide any post previous to today to verify that, I'll concede the argument immediately of course. That's what rational people do by the way.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Flagg wrote:Poor baby. I love your assumption that my only news sources are the American 24 hour networks. You just love being wrong, don't you troll?
It's Aristotle's Allegory of the Cave, if you would like me to photoshop your preferred media outlet into the picture I can, but it stands just fine for defining your delusion just as is right now

Thanks for the note of concern though.