Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

BBC are now predicting that Leave will win. 73 results left to declare and Leave is up by 863,000.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

BBC calls it for leave.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120
20:40

The BBC is forecasting that the UK has voted to leave the EU.
Last edited by Dominus Atheos on 2016-06-23 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Fuck.

More wine.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

BBC has Leave up 1 million.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Brexit is on by the looks of it. I've said it earlier in this thread; I am an EU worker living and working in the UK but the completely moronic Remain Campaign made me want to vote Leave.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

One week ago, a pro-EU, pro-refugee British MP was viciously murdered by a pro-Brexit Neo-Nazi terrorist.

And tonight, it appears, the British electorate has chosen to side with the Nazi.

Yes, I know not all Brexit voters are fascists. But that juxtaposition is, to me, rather striking.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

So the Boomers with their blinkered view of the world have fucked us again.

Cue lots of crowing tomorrow morning, but I wonder how long it will last when they find out they've just fucked their precious pensions up.
The pound is lower than it has been since 1985.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

My weird shit NSFW
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One week ago, a pro-EU, pro-refugee British MP was viciously murdered by a pro-Brexit Neo-Nazi terrorist.

And tonight, it appears, the British electorate has chosen to side with the Nazi.

Yes, I know not all Brexit voters are fascists. But that juxtaposition is, to me, rather striking.
Could you fucking stop with that shit? Like totally stop. It doesn't help to marginalise (what is now evidently) the majority of the voting public as "fascists" or other ridiculous labels like that. That's how you drive people away and into the arms of populists who cynically hoover up the disenfranchised with sweet promises. Such rhetoric is part of the problem. :roll:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crown wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:One week ago, a pro-EU, pro-refugee British MP was viciously murdered by a pro-Brexit Neo-Nazi terrorist.

Could you fucking stop with that shit? Like totally stop. It doesn't help to marginalise (what is now evidently) the majority of the voting public as "fascists" or other ridiculous labels like that. That's how you drive people away and into the arms of populists who cynically hoover up the disenfranchised with sweet promises. Such rhetoric is part of the problem. :roll:
Aside from how I, you know, explicitly said that not all Brexit voters are fascist.

Hell, I'll even add that the majority of them obviously aren't.

But they did choose to side with the fascists on this issue, and I think that that should be pointed out. I do not regret doing so.

Still, I imagine that they'll pay more than a fair price for this choice as the pound nosedives, so despite my anger over this, I can't help but feel sorry for them, at least a little.

I feel far sorrier, though, for those who didn't vote to Leave and will still pay for that decision.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

'And I assume some of them are good people...'

Seriously, when you're cribbing notes from Donald Trump's rhetoric, you might want to check yourself.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

White Haven wrote:'And I assume some of them are good people...'

Seriously, when you're cribbing notes from Donald Trump's rhetoric, you might want to check yourself.
Well, for one thing, I'm judging people on an actual God damn choice they made, not what country they came from or what their race or religion is.

But as I do not wish to derail this thread into yet another debate over my personal character, and I really have nothing to say on the subject I haven't already said, I'll bow out now.

My sympathies to the British people. I hope you get a better government soon.

Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

The Romulan Republic wrote:My sympathies to the British people. I hope you get a better government soon.
Well said, all other rhetoric aside.

This is a sad result. Even though I'm over here in the US, I feel strongly attached to this because of the friends I have over there (and also because I'm potentially moving to the UK).

May I suggest we consider the repercussions, now that they're almost certainly going to happen and are no longer the realm of theory?

Here's my main question: Now faced with the reality of Brexit, will the EU actually stay true to the tough line of making an example out of the UK?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Hell, I'll even add that the majority of them obviously aren't.
Oh, JUST the majority are not fascists? Not 99.99 percent of them are not fascists? So, according to you, the population of fascists is so high in the UK that you decided to pick wording that could quantify that number at up t0 49,9% of Leave voters?
But they did choose to side with the fascists on this issue, and I think that that should be pointed out. I do not regret doing so.
Fascists like breathing. You like breathing. WHY ARE YOU SIDING WITH THE FASCISTS!!!?
The Romulan Republic wrote: Well, for one thing, I'm judging people on an actual God damn choice they made, not what country they came from or what their race or religion is.
Yeah you did, the problem is you haven't qualified that judgement in any way other than a ridiculous equivalency of millions of people to one dude for the most tenuous reasons imaginable.

Bow out my ass. Concede that your comment was idiotic. That's how challenges of stupid things like the shit you said work in these parts.
Last edited by Patroklos on 2016-06-24 12:21am, edited 3 times in total.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Crown wrote:

Aside from how I, you know, explicitly said that not all Brexit voters are fascist.
Did you not see me quote you in full?
The Romulan Republic wrote:Hell, I'll even add that the majority of them obviously aren't.
Generous of you :roll: (White Haven beat me to it; "And I assume some of them are good people...")
The Romulan Republic wrote:But they did choose to side with the fascists on this issue, and I think that that should be pointed out. I do not regret doing so.
Hitler was a vegan. Are vegans choosing 'to side with the fascists on this issue' as well?
The Romulan Republic wrote:Still, I imagine that they'll pay more than a fair price for this choice as the pound nosedives, so despite my anger over this, I can't help but feel sorry for them, at least a little.

I feel far sorrier, though, for those who didn't vote to Leave and will still pay for that decision.
Just shut up. Jesus. I will repeat this for you; I am an EU worker in the UK. I empathised with the Leave campaign because the Remain campaign was run arsed backwards with comical ineptitude. Do you get it? I know that 'Remain' is by far the better economic choice for me (not talking about stock markets, or long term economic consequences, or growth, or budget, but simply I work here by the grace of the UK being in the EU), and yet I would never go so far to label those that voted Leave as fascist sympaticos even though they are voting to get rid of me.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

I am terrified that the same PR team that managed to defeat the strict upgrade of the voting system in the AV referendum has managed to galvanise the population to fuck themselves, and all for the benefit of a few of the worst politicians jostling for position at the top levels of government.

The scariest thing is that the death rate in the UK is about 500k per year. Given the voting demographics, this means that a number of leave voters sufficient to eliminate the leave majority will have died before the UK can leave the EU.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Except all of those who die won't be Leave supporters. Pretty close to half of them won't be actually...
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Patroklos wrote:Except all of those who die won't be Leave supporters. Pretty close to half of them won't be actually...
No, not if you break it down by demographics. The leave voters are overwhelmingly the oldest voters and the remain are much much younger.

I mean to be realistic it is more like a 2:1 ratio among older voters, so it would actually take more like 5 years than 2 years.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

So when can we expect a second referendum in Scotland.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

*cough*

"Rule, Britannia! Britannia rule the waves!"
"Britons never will be slaves."

Last edited by Soontir C'boath on 2016-06-24 12:51am, edited 1 time in total.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

mr friendly guy wrote:So when can we expect a second referendum in Scotland.
The only potential silver lining is that a Scottish and NornIron vote to leave the UK would trigger a re-referendum down the road on EU membership, as at that point the question would become not just a severance from the EU, but a total destruction of the UK and just England and maybe Wales dropping out.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Oh we are totally fucked now.

My weird shit NSFW
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Well...I guess it's time to start drinking. Heavily.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker