The 2016 US Election (Part II)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part II)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm not saying their is any requirement under Federal law. I'm just asking what, if anything, the party procedure is for such a scenario.

I'd like to think this is something they've planned for, as opposed to "hope it doesn't happen and pull something out of our asses if it does".
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Gaidin wrote: If throwing chairs isn't violent I'm finished with you.

The only evidence to this is a bit of video of a guy about to throw a chair and who was stopped from throwing it. Nothing else. With massive amounts of media there, no video of actual violence. With gobs of police there, no actual arrests or police reports of violence.

Of course if you have access to video or reports, please post your proof.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Knife wrote:

The only evidence to this is a bit of video of a guy about to throw a chair and who was stopped from throwing it. Nothing else. With massive amounts of media there, no video of actual violence. With gobs of police there, no actual arrests or police reports of violence.

Hah. Nah I'm fine with conceding to snopes. If you take issue with believing about 4 days worth of mainstream news sites we usually believe then fuck right off.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

And now Chairperson Lange, while changing her doxxed cell phone number to prevent further harassment...posted a shit ton of people's phone numbers who harassed her. Because if she was harassed by having her number posted publicly, the right thing to do is post a bunch of other people's numbers publicly. What a shitshow. Retributive justice is such a good idea, right? Sigh.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Gaidin wrote:
Knife wrote:

Hah. Nah I'm fine with conceding to snopes. If you take issue with believing about 4 days worth of mainstream news sites we usually believe then fuck right off.
Gaiden did you not think it was odd in the day of the cell phone when in past incidents of violence at previous rallies most commonly Trump not only did we have footage but we normally had about minimum five angles of people recording said violence that there was exactly.... zero film evidence of chair throwing? This delegate meeting was not a no camera zone, even in the media footage you could see about twenty people with cell phones in hand ready in case something happened to record it...

And yet four solid days of reporting zero minutes of chair throwing footage? Almost as if the mainstream media decided they liked the story and delibratly went out of their way to avoid looking for what would be GREAT B roll footage of talking heads to talk over as some Bernie delegate hucks chairs like this is opening day at Wrigley field. But no such footage exists because it didn't happen and considering the number of cell phones there the fact no one got any footage of it is very... well questionable.

Oh and the media (At least local media) were there as well, they didn't get any footage either... but they all ran with the story.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Here's the deal. When the news system is so systemically wrong it's one of two things. It's either just wrong, which happens occasionally, and I've conceded. Or it's a conspiracy, which the last few days Bernie would have me believe, but that takes more evidence than the mere question of "Where's the video, yo?" and THAT ONE is on you to prove.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Terralthra wrote:And now Chairperson Lange, while changing her doxxed cell phone number to prevent further harassment...posted a shit ton of people's phone numbers who harassed her. Because if she was harassed by having her number posted publicly, the right thing to do is post a bunch of other people's numbers publicly. What a shitshow. Retributive justice is such a good idea, right? Sigh.

I thought that, in such an instance, turnabout is fair play. You threaten someone's life by voicemail, and are stupid enough to leave your number, it's not private.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

FireNexus wrote:
Terralthra wrote:And now Chairperson Lange, while changing her doxxed cell phone number to prevent further harassment...posted a shit ton of people's phone numbers who harassed her. Because if she was harassed by having her number posted publicly, the right thing to do is post a bunch of other people's numbers publicly. What a shitshow. Retributive justice is such a good idea, right? Sigh.

I thought that, in such an instance, turnabout is fair play. You threaten someone's life by voicemail, and are stupid enough to leave your number, it's not private.
Several of the image in questions are not "death threats", simply unhappy Sanders supporters venting frustration about (perceived) corruption.

And no, "turnabout is fair play" is a Bronze Age concept of justice and should be left there.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Yeah, it would depend on the circumstance for me. And I imagine for you too, if you weren't the one on the defensive about the whole debacle in Nevada. I don't know you, but I somehow doubt you're quite as noble as you expect someone who did just get a ton of death threats. More, I'd bet you anything you refuse to categorize stuff as threats that you would if it wasn't your team leaving the voicemail.

Fine line between venting frustration and threatening violence when you're calling a political figure.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I am not "on the defensive" about anything, as I never called nor texted anyone, nor am I in any way involved. I think Sen. Sanders should more strongly condemn threats and harassment by his supporters, and I've already said so (feel free to scroll back and check).

However, if one thinks it is wrong to post someone's phone number in such a manner as to invite harassment, it's wrong for the target of harassment to do it, especially when said original target is a public figure. There is at least a reason why Chairperson Lange's phone number ought to be known by her putative constituents. There's no reason to post the phone numbers of harassers save punitive. And she should know the consequences of posting those numbers online, because of her own experiences. If those texts and voicemails are threats or harassment, provide them to the police, not as a fucking Dropbox folder.

Doxxing and harassment are wrong in and of themselves, not because of the target's rectitude or culpability. Worth noting that subjects of death threats like Randi Harper and Zöe Quinn are among those calling on Lange to remove the Dropbox folder. If anyone would be expected to sympathize with a victim of harassment, they'd be on the list.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Gaidin wrote:
Knife wrote:

Funny thing, haven't seen a single video on those main stream sites of this violence. Sure, the talking heads constantly TALK about it, but no one single shred of actual evidence.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gaidin wrote:Here's the deal. When the news system is so systemically wrong it's one of two things. It's either just wrong, which happens occasionally, and I've conceded. Or it's a conspiracy, which the last few days Bernie would have me believe, but that takes more evidence than the mere question of "Where's the video, yo?" and THAT ONE is on you to prove.
I see basically two explanations for this:

1. This is like a case of mass hysteria or something. Someone starts speculating and everyone piles on without bothering to fact-check, or even starts imagining things that didn't happen.

2. Conspiracy. Or, rather, someone, or a small group of someones, deliberately lied early on, and then number one happened and everyone ran with it without thinking.

I don't think anyone is claiming that the entire Democratic establishment, mainstream media, and random posters all over the internet were all conspiring together. And if they are claiming that, they're an idiot.
Oh please give me a link for that.

I have some Clinton supporters I want to show this too who will almost certainly not take my word for it.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I don't think anyone is claiming that the entire Democratic establishment, mainstream media, and random posters all over the internet were all conspiring together. And if they are claiming that, they're an idiot.
He was coming at me. What were you expecting? That I didn't believe the profesional news reporters of our day and just sucked the dick of the rumor mongers for a day or three? Nah. I'm happy to conceded when a site like snopes hacks shit like this out as ocassionaly shit like this DOES HAPPEN. But when he wants to come at me he better come at me WITH FUCKING EVIDENCE OF THAT CONSPIRACY.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

And while we're at it Bernie would be the Democratic candidate if it weren't for the Illuminati and Freemasons. Have fun everyone. I'm off to game.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

That's a funny way of saying "I concede I have no evidence."
Truth fears no trial.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Tanasinn wrote:That's a funny way of saying "I concede I have no evidence."
Whenever they want to accept my concession and stop riding me I'll be happy to stop demanding evidence of the next step up, a conspiracy.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Whatever dude, go game.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Change.org petition:
Bernie Sanders: call on your supporters to stop launching small children from trebuchets

Dear Senator Sanders,

At a recent Hillary Clinton rally, a Bernie Sanders protestor, not only disrupted the event, but began harassing a young girl with a Hillary Clinton sign. In a violent rage, the protestor placed the small child into a 14th century trebuchet, and launched her over the ramparts of a castle wall. We are writing this petition to ask you to call on your supporters to stop using children as medieval siege weaponry. We are including the tweet about this incidence as evidence in the hopes that you can put an end to this despicable practice.
leon
‏@leyawn

at a hillary rally today i saw a bernie protestor heft a small child into a trebuchet and launch her over a castle wall. what the fuck
Deplorable behavior by the sanders campaign. I'm outraged, and Im sharing this petition as far and wide as i can,

Please sign it everyone, and stop the horrible Berniebros.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

This is another quote I would sig if i had room for it
By subir:

The very act of challenging the present order leads to accusations of fomenting disorder.
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/5/ ... nd-violent
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Dominus Atheos wrote:Change.org petition:
Bernie Sanders: call on your supporters to stop launching small children from trebuchets

Dear Senator Sanders,

At a recent Hillary Clinton rally, a Bernie Sanders protestor, not only disrupted the event, but began harassing a young girl with a Hillary Clinton sign. In a violent rage, the protestor placed the small child into a 14th century trebuchet, and launched her over the ramparts of a castle wall. We are writing this petition to ask you to call on your supporters to stop using children as medieval siege weaponry. We are including the tweet about this incidence as evidence in the hopes that you can put an end to this despicable practice.
leon
‏@leyawn

at a hillary rally today i saw a bernie protestor heft a small child into a trebuchet and launch her over a castle wall. what the fuck
Deplorable behavior by the sanders campaign. I'm outraged, and Im sharing this petition as far and wide as i can,

Please sign it everyone, and stop the horrible Berniebros.
Careful, some of the Clintonites might think its real, and next thing you know, we'll have the Democratic Party formally accusing Sanders' campaign of causing child murder and it'll be all over CNN. :lol:
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Knife wrote:Funny thing, haven't seen a single video on those main stream sites of this violence. Sure, the talking heads constantly TALK about it, but no one single shred of actual evidence.
*shrug* Seemed perfectly plausible to me, given how appallingly Sanders' delegates were acting towards Lange and Boxer (He was apparently quite distressed by this). And Jon Ralston's my main source for what goes on in Nevada politics and isn't a man given to either lying or loving Clinton.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You literally shrug off complete lack of evidence and just say its "plausible" because you apparently think Sanders supporters were unpleasant/rude (not remotely the same as violent).

Funny. Didn't this forum used to be a place where you had to back up your claims with evidence?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:You literally shrug off complete lack of evidence and just say its "plausible" because you apparently think Sanders supporters were unpleasant/rude (not remotely the same as violent).

Funny. Didn't this forum used to be a place where you had to back up your claims with evidence?
This forum also did use to be a place where people used to respect others wishes and stopped using terms that were offensive to others, like I have stopped using the word retard to describe others.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

maraxus2 wrote:
Knife wrote:Funny thing, haven't seen a single video on those main stream sites of this violence. Sure, the talking heads constantly TALK about it, but no one single shred of actual evidence.
*shrug* Seemed perfectly plausible to me, given how appallingly Sanders' delegates were acting towards Lange and Boxer (He was apparently quite distressed by this). And Jon Ralston's my main source for what goes on in Nevada politics and isn't a man given to either lying or loving Clinton.
Yeah, I'm just so sure she was scared up on that stage with no one throwing chairs, no one trying to break through the line of cops in front of her. I mean jeez, how scary. What a joke.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:You literally shrug off complete lack of evidence and just say its "plausible" because you apparently think Sanders supporters were unpleasant/rude (not remotely the same as violent).

This forum also did use to be a place where people used to respect others wishes and stopped using terms that were offensive to others, like I have stopped using the word retard to describe others.
I've done the same. Maybe we can bring it back for one special snowflake.

And apparently no other news is going on (aside from a dozen mass shootings /sarcasm. Probably not true, I've spent the last 3 days in a sleep, puke, sleep, puke, puke, puke, fun fest) if this is actually being covered seriously. It's been apparent that die hard Sanders supporters are the equivalent of gamergate trolls for 3 months.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw