2015 US Elections

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

2015 US Elections

Post by TimothyC »

While the odd year elections do not have anywhere near the turn out of even year elections, there were issues to be voted on this year. In Ohio, there were three statewide issues:
  1. An issue to make redistricting more bipartisan
  2. An issue to prevent monopolies from being directly codified into the state constitution.
    And
  3. An issue to allow legal marijuana, but with only 10 producers in the entire state (outside of production by individuals for individual use).
The last two are going head to head, with results expected this evening.

From what I remember, three states are also electing Governors (Kentucky, Mississippi, & Louisiana).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: 2015 US Elections

Post by Elheru Aran »

Nothing particularly important here in Georgia. A few state legislature seats, a few mayors, some pissant issues like whether Tybee will open a municipal pool or raising some county sales tax by one cent. I don't much expect the status quo to really change.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Nothing interesting tonight except the ohio issues.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Yeah. Right now, with 48% reporting Issue 2 (anti-monopoly) is passing 53-47 while Issue 3 (legal weed) is failing 65-35.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Colorado voted on whether the state could keep and spend $66 million it collected in marijuana taxes, which looks like it's passed.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I'm honestly surprised that one passed, and by such a wide margin. I personally supported it, but I thought a strange bedfellows coalition of anti-tax nuts and potheads, both of which we have in abundance, would strike it down hard.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

TimothyC wrote: And[*]An issue to allow legal marijuana, but with only 10 producers in the entire state (outside of production by individuals for individual use).[/list]
What is the reason behind the maximum number of producers?
Do they want to ensure that drugs keep turning out profits mainly for large corporations like in the past?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

salm wrote:
TimothyC wrote: And[*]An issue to allow legal marijuana, but with only 10 producers in the entire state (outside of production by individuals for individual use).[/list]
What is the reason behind the maximum number of producers?
Do they want to ensure that drugs keep turning out profits mainly for large corporations like in the past?
In essence yes, it was pitched as "legal marijuana just like Colorado and Washington" but inside the bills were the cartel details saying it just so happens these ten producers already pre-picked would be the only ones allowed in the market and had the right to set prices and were a legal cartel by fiat since all the require law changes were included with the bill.

A clever trick, but one that failed thankfully.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Well looks like we've elected a Tea Party favorite here in KY for Governor. :banghead:

Rollback of AMA support in 5...4....3....
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

In my district, we only had to vote on supreme and civil court judges the great majority of us likely never heard of and a district attorney who ran unopposed. I should also mention as a county, only 5% went to the polls overall! Democracy in action!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."