US State Department Spokesperson's Jaw Dropping Lie

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crown
NARF

US State Department Spokesperson's Jaw Dropping Lie

Post by Crown »

WARNING: Do not have fluids in your mouth when watching this, you might spit them out all over your keyboard.

:lol: :shock: :lol:

Nice to see the press core chortle with incredulity at that statement, my only questions is does she actually believe that or did she think the rest of us are too stupid to know otherwise?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: US State Department Spokesperson's Jaw Dropping Lie

Post by Borgholio »

Ok now that was just funny. You could see her turn her brain off the instant she was called on it. Sadly, we do have a very long history of fucking around with other nations' governments.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I'm surprised they didn't all immediately burst into extremely long, loud laughter the moment she called it a long-standing policy.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Well it's a long standing policy today, but was it a long standing policy yesterday?

We have always been at war with Oceanana
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crown, are you sure you didn't just link us to an Onion video? C'mon own up, we won't be mad :wink:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Crown wrote:Nice to see the press core chortle with incredulity at that statement, my only questions is does she actually believe that or did she think the rest of us are too stupid to know otherwise?
I think it might have been more along the lines of thesaurus abuse. She wanted a word that conveyed "very", picked "long-standing", and then got bitten in the ass when someone reminded her that words like "long-standing" actually mean things and aren't just sentence decoration.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

She's too young to have a direct memory of the Central and South American coups, the last of which (if I recall correctly, which I may not) Nicaragua in the 1980's. To her, 20-30 years probably is "long-standing" even if from an international/historical viewpoint it's not.

The more recent meddling has been largely Middle Eastern hasn't it? But less direct than some of the early-to-mid 20th Century bullshit.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Psaki is one of the biggest waste of air morons who's ever lived, so this is about par for the course.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'm not going to defend Psaki beyond saying the following; she was clearly reading a prepared statement (which opens up another can of worms as to how bad do you have to be to have had time to prepare a counter to a known question in advance and that was the best you could come up with?) and there is a long running history where she has been 'forced' to say things that she herself knows is complete and utter bullshit;

All of this is just theatre.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I don't suppose there's a text version anywhere?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

General Zod wrote:I don't suppose there's a text version anywhere?
From http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2015/3 ... g_standing

TRANSCRIPT

REPORTER: President Maduro last night went on the air and said that they had arrested multiple people who were allegedly behind a coup that was backed by the United States. What is your response?

JEN PSAKI: These latest accusations, like all previous such accusations, are ludicrous. As a matter of long-standing policy, the United States does not support political transitions by nonconstitutional means. Political transitions must be democratic, constitutional, peaceful and legal. We’ve seen many times that the Venezuelan government tries to distract from its own actions by blaming the United States or other members of the international community for events inside Venezuela. These efforts reflect a lack of seriousness on the part of the Venezuelan government to deal with the grave situation it faces.

MATT LEE: Sorry. The U.S. has—whoa, whoa, whoa—the U.S. has a long-standing practice of not promoting—what did you say? How long-standing is that? I would—in particular in South and Latin America, that is not a long-standing practice.

JEN PSAKI: Well, my point here, Matt, without getting into history—

MATT LEE: Not in this case.

JEN PSAKI: —is that we do not support, we have no involvement with, and these are ludicrous accusations.

MATT LEE: In this specific case.

JEN PSAKI: Correct.

MATT LEE: But if you go back not that long ago, during your lifetime even...

JEN PSAKI: The last 21 years?

MATT LEE: Well done. Touché. But, I mean, look, does "long-standing" mean 10 years in this case? I mean, what is...

JEN PSAKI: Matt, my intention was to speak to the specific reports.

MATT LEE: I understand, but you said it’s a long-standing U.S. practice, and I’m not so sure how—depends on what your definition of "long-standing" is.

JEN PSAKI: We will—OK.

REPORTER: Recently in Kiev, whatever we say about Ukraine, whatever, the change of government in the beginning of last year was unconstitutional, and yet you supported it. The Constitution was not—

JEN PSAKI: That is also ludicrous.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I really don't see how this is so "jaw dropping" or even noteworthy.

A random government spokeswoman says the exact kind of generic empty rhetoric that is exactly her job to relay, and fumbles a bit when a reporter dogs her on it. News at 11.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Anyway, you all obviously misheard her. What she obviously meant was "As a matter of long-standing policy, the United States does not support successful political transitions by nonconstitutional means." Successful defined as "Actually takes, and does not turn around later to bite us hard in the arse"
It may be on occasion this policy has failed, and perhaps they have had a few successful transitions, but if they have, they have studied these failures thoroughly to ensure they don't happen again.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Someone needs to make a meme of Psaki the same way they did with the former Iraqi minister of information.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.