Siege in Sydney Cafe. Hostages have been taken.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Siege in Sydney Cafe. Hostages have been taken.

Post by bobalot »

I'm surprised no one has posted this.
Sydney siege: Five emerge from Martin Place Lindt cafe, unknown number of hostages still held by 'armed offender'

Five people have been seen running from a cafe at the centre of a siege involving an unknown number of hostages in the heart of Sydney's CBD.

An armed man entered the Lindt cafe in Martin Place before 10:00am (AEDT) and has held staff and customers hostage all day.

New South Wales Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn said police were negotiating with the man.

"We have the best negotiators in the world and we are working through this methodically to make sure that nobody is injured," she said.

She said the five hostages who emerged from the cafe were being assessed to ensure they were in good health and were being spoken to by police.

She declined to say whether the hostages had escaped or been released.

Just before 4:00pm, two men were seen running out a front door of the cafe, one with his arms in the air.

A man wearing a Lindt apron also ran from a side door that was surrounded by heavily armed police.

About an hour later, two female cafe workers were seen running from the building.

One, wearing an apron, ran into the arms of a police officer outside.

Police have identified the gunman and he is understood to be known to them.

The ABC is among numerous media outlets to have been contacted by hostages at the hostage taker's request.

Police have asked media not to broadcast details about the phone calls or to identify the man.

A man wearing a backpack and bandana, and waving what appeared to be a gun, could be seen directing hostages inside the cafe.

At one point, he appeared to use a hostage as a human shield as he moved through the building.

This evening, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the police focus was on getting the hostages out safely.

"Our plan, our only goal tonight and for as long as this takes, is to get those people that are currently caught in that building, out of there safely," he said.

"That remains our number one priority and nothing will change."

Earlier, Deputy Commissioner Burn said she could not confirm how many people were being held hostage, but police believed it was fewer than 30.

She said people still inside buildings in Martin Place should stay indoors.

"Police will advise you as we go along," she said.

Hostages were seen pressing a black flag displaying Arabic text against the cafe window soon after police were called to the busy pedestrian thoroughfare.

The text on the flag said: "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

NSW Health confirmed one of the hostages was in a satisfactory condition after being treated at St Vincent's Hospital.

Some mosques, synagogues and churches are holding prayer vigils in Sydney and other Australian cities this evening.

This morning, emergency crews used ladders to evacuate people, including a baby, from upper levels of the building.

Hundreds of officers, many of them heavily armed and wearing body armour, took up positions in the area and several surrounding blocks were cleared.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott made a brief statement after chairing Cabinet's national security committee meeting this evening.

"It is profoundly shocking that innocent people should be held hostage by an armed person claiming political motivation," he said.

"Nevertheless, I can say that NSW Police and other agencies have responded to this incident with great professionalism.

"Yes, it has been a difficult day. Yes, it is a day which has tested us, but so far like Australians in all sorts of situations, we have risen to the challenge."

Earlier, 702 ABC Sydney's John Donegan said police were using ladders propped against awnings to evacuate people through windows from floors above the cafe.

"They have got a series of small ladders up onto awnings and into windows," he said.

VINE: Hostage emerges from Sydney siege
"I've seen three or four people coming out. It's a very slow operation."

Staff from the Seven Network have been allowed back into their Martin Place headquarters, after the building was earlier evacuated and taken over by tactical response police.

Reporter Chris Reason told 702 ABC Sydney that staff inside the Seven building had tried to count the number of people in the cafe, and estimated 15 people were taken hostage before five ran free this afternoon.

"There are older people, young, male, female, but fortunately no children," he said.

"I've seen plates of food delivered to hostages by Lindt staff.

"That's important, because it's showing some humanity."

He said Channel Seven staff saw the armed man shouting at hostages after some of them ran out of the building.

Earlier, Seven producer Patrick Byrne said staff at the network watched the situation unfold before they were evacuated.

"We raced to the window and saw the shocking and chilling sight of people putting their hands up against the panes of glass at the cafe," he said.

"This was just extraordinary.

"Then, as we were looking wondering what was going on, it seemed to be like an armed hold-up, more police arrived at Martin Place.

"The area was cleared. People were kept back.

He said "gasps went through the newsroom" as the black flag was placed against one of the windows.

Lindt cafe incident
PHOTO: Hostages in the Lindt cafe in Sydney's Martin Place hold a flag in the window. (The Morning Show)
A man at the scene told ABC News he saw a woman try to enter the cafe before she reported seeing a man inside with a gun.

"There was a bit of a kerfuffle and the next thing she said, there was a blue bag, and she said 'there's a gun in the bag', and then the commotion started.

"She told everyone to get going and we're running out of the building."

Martin Place worker Josh Acton said he was outside smoking when police suddenly ordered him inside a building, where about 80 people were taking cover.

"We're on tenterhooks," he said.

"We have grouped around people's computers to watch the news come in to see if there's any further updates.

Sydney Siege: A policeman in Sydney's CBD. December 15, 2014.
PHOTO: A policeman near the scene of the siege at Martin Place. (702 ABC Sydney: John Donegan)
"They're all getting messages from loved ones to be safe, so it's creating a really scary atmosphere."

The White House has confirmed that US president Barack Obama has been briefed about the siege by his homeland security and counterterrorism chief.

VIDEO: A ladder is used to evacuate people, including a baby, from the building (ABC News)
The US Consulate in Sydney was evacuated this morning, and many shops, banks, cinemas, courts and businesses closed early.

Staff and tourists were evacuated from the Sydney Opera House at Circular Quay, about a kilometre away, and tonight's performances have been cancelled.

Premier Mike Baird said police and the public were being "tested", but people should go about their business as normal.

Later, Mr Baird tweeted that he had spoken to "members of Sydney's valued Islamic community".

"Appreciated their support and reassured them we're in this together," he said.

Police have urged members of the public to remain calm and avoid the area, and some transport services have been cancelled.

Traffic authorities advised city workers to leave Sydney's CBD before peak hour if possible.

An exclusion zone bordered by Hunter, Pitt, King and Phillip streets is in place.

Qantas is diverting all flights around Sydney CBD, but all flights are operating as scheduled.

Earlier, the Prime Minister issued a statement offering "all possible Commonwealth support and assistance" to the NSW Government.

Police in Sydney CBD
PHOTO: Heavily armed police gather near the Lindt cafe in Martin Place. (ABC News)
"This is obviously a deeply concerning incident but all Australians should be reassured that our law enforcement and security agencies are well trained and equipped and are responding in a thorough and professional manner," Mr Abbott said.

Federal Transport Minister Warren Truss said the airspace over Sydney CBD had not been shut down, following speculation on social media that it had been closed.

Sydney Airport said flights were operating normally.

Workers from nearby buildings at Martin Place, which were placed in lockdown, were told to evacuate to Hyde Park, where police had set up a safety site.

CBD cafe owner Chris Dion said people coming into his business were "terrified".

"We've got the TV on here. Everybody is coming in to have a look and see what's going on in Martin Place," he said.

"I'm in disbelief to be honest.

"We live in a beautiful country and this is happening right here in Sydney?"

People leave offices
PHOTO: People are evacuated from offices surrounding Martin Place. (ABC News: Jenya Goloubeva)
Elleanor Gillard, who works in another part of the building, said police had told them to stay inside and away from the doors.

"We've just been notifying everyone on the floors above - I'm on the ground - not to come down in the lift because the lifts open up right in the foyer between us and Lindt [cafe]," she said.

She said she saw a look of terror on the faces of two hostages who appeared to have been forced up against the glass.

"I'm just thinking about the guys in Lindt - the people we see everyday, go in and buy our coffee from them - and I'm sure they're terrified. It must be horrible for them."

In a statement posted on Facebook, Lindt Chocolate Cafe Australia expressed its concern and thanked the public for its support.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the staff and customers involved and all their friends and families," the statement said.

The Grand Mufti of Australia, Professor Ibrahim Abu Mohamed, released a statement saying the Muslim community was "devastated" by the incident.

"The Grand Mufti and the Australian National Imam Council condemn this criminal act unequivocally and reiterate that such actions are denounced in part and in whole in Islam."

Police near Martin Place
PHOTO: A heavily armed police officer runs across a road near the Lindt cafe. (702 ABC Sydney: John Donegan)
The president of the Lebanese Muslim Association, Samier Dandan, said Australian Muslim leaders were in talks to see if the community could help.

He said it was not known who was behind the siege and whether there were any links to the Australian Muslim community.

"Whether he is someone who belongs to the Australian Muslim community or not, we are still waiting for information to be provided by police, and based on that if there's something the Muslim community can do or assist, we are there."

The director of the Global Terrorism Research Centre, Professor Greg Barton, said the black flag was clearly meant to signify a link with a terror group, possibly the Islamic State.

"It's likely a link with its groups, and what's happening in Syria, rather than a statement of faith," he told 702 ABC Sydney.

"But it could also be a single lone wolf attacker."

Two people walk out of building in Martin Place
PHOTO: Two people walk out of a building during a siege in Sydney's Martin Place. (ABC News)
The UN Alliance of Civilisations' Aftab Malik, a scholar-in-residence at Sydney's Lebanese Muslim Association, said the flag had been misappropriated by extremist groups.

"The Shahadah [phrase on the flag] literally means the testimony of faith and Muslims believe it is a transcendental truth," he said.

"We're seeing a branding war taking place amongst various extreme groups, Jabhbat al-Nusra, Al-Qaeda and the offshoots, and now we have ISIS.

"They're using very powerful spiritual realities and being misappropriated for their misguided political agendas."

People seeking more information about the incident, including about government services, can call the Public Information Inquiry Centre on 1800 227 228.
Source

Large parts of the city have been closed off. Martin Place station is no longer picking up or dropping off passengers. We were asked to leave early from work to help reduce later traffic congestion.

I went to this Cafe a few months ago.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Siege in Sydney Cafe. Hostages have been taken.

Post by mr friendly guy »

Some hostages have managed to get out.

The flag itself is a phrase used in general among Muslims although apparently some Jihadists have used this increasingly.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Some of us had nothing to say because it started just around the time we went to bed. Stupid time zone differences and all that.

Isn't the black flag somewhat typical of the more extremist organizations, like ISIL?

Latest thing I'm hearing is that the Australian authorities have asked that the media NOT report the hostage-taker's demands (so far they seem to be complying) and think he's a "lone wolf" inspired by one or another organization. Apparently, the hostages escaping made him agitated, so presumably those that are free snuck out on their own.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Broomstick wrote:Some of us had nothing to say because it started just around the time we went to bed. Stupid time zone differences and all that.
Well I was at work when this happened.
Isn't the black flag somewhat typical of the more extremist organizations, like ISIL?
According to Australian media, while the Arabic words which were return are pretty "standard" (my choice of words) among Muslims, the use of it on the black background could indicate some Jihadist inspiration since ISIL uses a black flag. In fact early it was mistaken for an ISIL flag.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Because it'll probably come up a lot, here's an article on the flag used.
SMH.com.au wrote:The flag shown being held by hostages against the window of Lindt Chocolat Cafe is not an Islamic State flag, but is an Islamic flag that has been co-opted by jihadist groups.

However, Greg Barton, a terrorism expert from Melbourne's Monash University, said that "getting hold of an [Islamic State] flag would be quite difficult, and people will make do with what they have got".

That means it doesn't help confirm or rule out that the hostage-takers' affiliation is with Islamic State or any other group.

The flag appears to be a Shahada flag, which represents a general expression of faith in Islam, but has been co-opted by various jihadist groups.

That means it doesn't help confirm or rule out that the hostage-takers' affiliation is with Islamic State or any other group.

The translation of the flag is: "There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."

The Shahada is the testament of Islamic faith, which is one of the five pillars of Islam.

A translation by Fairfax Media has established that the script on the flag is very precise, classical Arabic. Mass-produced flags typically skip over the more complex grammatical notation - such as short vowel signs - because they are hard to reproduce.

This one is very precise in detail, suggesting it is not mass-produced.

Monash University senior politics lecturer Ben MacQueen, whose work focuses on the Middle East, said the Shahadah - which is what the white writing on the flag appeared to be - was the testimony or core statement of belief in Islam.

Dr MacQueen said the flag looked "like the black banner which was used in the 1990s - it is not the Islamic State flag per se - it has been used in recent times, for example, by Chechen groups."

"The black symbolises the second caliphate - it is to say we [IS] are re-creating the caliphate," he said.

"A lot of Islamic states have used the black. In Afghanistan at the turn of the 20th century for example, they had just a black flag."

Dr MacQueen said the people holding hostages "may be young guys, maybe not savvy, they've got their hands on a bit of paraphernalia to suggest they have aligned themselves with the IS."

"If this was centrally organised from Syria or Iraq they would not be using that flag."

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has issued a short statement confirming that the National Security Committee of Cabinet has met to discuss the issue.

"This is obviously a deeply concerning incident but all Australians should be reassured that our law enforcement and security agencies are well trained and equipped and are responding in a thorough and professional manner," Mr Abbott said.

He said he had spoken to NSW Premier Mike Baird and "offered him all possible Commonwealth support and assistance".

He said the federal government would provide regular updates.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Broomstick wrote:Latest thing I'm hearing is that the Australian authorities have asked that the media NOT report the hostage-taker's demands (so far they seem to be complying)
I wonder if US media would do the same if asked. I have nothing to base it on but my gut feelings and loathing of our dishonest media but I doubt it. This is the same media who in their efforts to saturate the news with new and exciting shit would post the names of rape victims, use the bodies of children and others murdered to try to score political points, and sensationalize news.

Probably they'd continue to glamorize and completely make celebs of the attackers as they already do with terrorists and mass shooters, making the problem worse by injecting misinformation and biases into the situation. Not too mention makes copycatting seem more attractive as everyone knows they will become an instant fame, never forgotten, and even make the cover of Rolling Stones. Such a thing is highly important to some bullied asshole who thinks nobody loves or cares about them, nobody would even notice or remember them when they are gone. Well people are damn sure going to notice them now, every facet of their life will be put on national TV and might actually bump the Kardassians off the news cycle for a few days.

Infamy is still fame, even being remembered as a monster is still being remembered.

I'm sure this is probably nothing new. I remember reading somewhere about how their was a pretty massive media frenzy back in the day over Jack the Ripper. Still though, the media should not be trying to make celebs of these pieces of shit or trying to make the news themselves, just report the damned facts.

My rant aside, I'm glad nobody has been killed. Hopefully it remains that way. If this situation can be resolved peaceably that would be great.

Hopefully this also doesn't lead to attacks on the Aussie Muslim community by idiots who blame a whole community for the actions of a few.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Latest thing I'm hearing is that the Australian authorities have asked that the media NOT report the hostage-taker's demands (so far they seem to be complying)
I wonder if US media would do the same if asked. I have nothing to base it on but my gut feelings and loathing of our dishonest media but I doubt it.
Wonder no more. I went to CNN's page this morning and the main headline was, "Sydney Hostage Taker's Demands" with a list in bold print.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Lagmonster wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:
I wonder if US media would do the same if asked. I have nothing to base it on but my gut feelings and loathing of our dishonest media but I doubt it.
Wonder no more. I went to CNN's page this morning and the main headline was, "Sydney Hostage Taker's Demands" with a list in bold print.
Good gawd. Well I'm glad I don't have to wonder, US media WOULD stoop that low.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Looks like it's over. Police have stormed in, people wounded.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Raw Shark will like this one. Uber skyrocketed it's rates during the crisis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 25352.html
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

They didn't really. As far as I can tell the rates went up as standard when they get a lot of bookings. Before long they were offering free rides out of the CBD and paying the drivers the increased fare.

Also, it looks like it's over. Gunshots, police moved in, no word on casualties.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:Raw Shark will like this one. Uber skyrocketed it's rates during the crisis.
Supply / Demand pricing is completely illegal here in the taxi industry by law. Just sayin'.
Alkaloid wrote:They didn't really. As far as I can tell the rates went up as standard when they get a lot of bookings.
See above. Illegal here.
Alkaloid wrote:Before long they were offering free rides out of the CBD and paying the drivers the increased fare.
Clever one-time publicity stunt.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Press conference announced in half an hour's time (6pm GMT) where we can expect to get confirmation on the events of today.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Watching the video of the storming, cops were tossing flashbangs like an IRL Counter Strike match. Not that thats a bad thing but just kinda funny seeing cops lobbing probably a dozen or more flashbangs in.

From what I read on a new article the guy was Iranian refugee Man Haron Monis who was a know for sending hate mail to the families of Aussie soldiers killed in the line of duty. Also connected to the murder of his ex-wife who was stabbed then lit on fire and sexually assaulting a woman. All in all sounds like a really swell guy.

How it went down according to the news article Mr Man had his hostages in two groups with one near the doors. The group near the doors GTFO and perturbed Mr Man. Sniper reported one of the hostages near the window went down and then the cops breached Leeroy Jenkins style.

No word on deaths but there are supposed to be wounded. Time will tell if that changes.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Press conference now pushed back to 7pm GMT
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I heard that Monis was dead.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Dalton wrote:I heard that Monis was dead.
That's the forgone conclusion, not confirmed by police yet, but most likely if you see how they breached that he died.

EDIT :: Although the Guardian's live stream shows that there is one ambulance at St. Vincent's being guarded by police with a white sheet put up to guard the identity/privacy of someone;

https://twitter.com/amandahoh/status/544554632219873280
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Also, I wish to fuck the press would stop saying 'lone wolf', it glamourises one sick fucking deranged individual.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Guardian live feed;
Police confirm three dead, including gunman

Police have confirmed three people are dead. Police said the 50-year-old man who took the hostages died at hospital after a confrontation between himself and police this morning where shots were fired.

A 34-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman, who were among the hostages, were shot and pronounced dead at hospital. Two women were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Another woman was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound to her shoulder.

A male police officer suffered non-life threatening wounds to his face from gunshot pellets.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

This guy was given political asylum a while ago and then became an Australian citizen. He appears to have become progressively more deranged after that.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald
Man Haron Monis, a self-styled sheikh shot dead by police in the early hours of Tuesday morning, was before the courts on two separate and serious matters: more than 40 sexual assault charges involving seven alleged victims; and as an accessory to the murder of his former partner.
Monis recently likened himself on his own webpage to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, claiming the most recent charges against him have been laid for "political reasons".

His website also carries a quote, posted earlier this month stating: "I used to be a Rafidi, but not any more. Now I am a Muslim, Alhamdu Lillah".

It has been Monis' on-going legal battle for his conviction for penning the poisonous letters to the families of dead Australian soldiers between 2007 and 2009 that has consumed him.

It is understood Monday's incident followed an unsuccessful, last-ditch attempt in the High Court on Friday to have the charges overturned.
"He was put through let's say some very unpleasant events, involving matters of excrement over himself and his cell," he said.

"This is a one-off random individual.

"It's not a concerted terrorism event or act.

"It's a damaged goods individual who's done something outrageous."
So, it looks like the act of a lone nutjob.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

According to this article, he was denied bail back in April, so I want to know why he was back on the streets. Was the accusation of sexual assault resolved in his favour, or did another magistrate fuck up and let him out when they shouldn't have?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

http://www.news.com.au/national/martin- ... 7157498633
THE manager of the Lindt cafe who was fatally shot in the Martin Place siege is being praised as the hero of the siege, responsible for allowing others trapped in the cafe to escape.
Seven News is reporting 34-year-old Tori Johnson was wrestling a gun from gunman Man Haron Monis when he was killed.
The second hostage killed has been identified as Katrina Dawson, 38. The mother-of-two is the daughter of well known Sydney lawyer Sandy Dawson.
Three people were killed, including gunman Man Haron Monis, in the Martin Place cafe siege after heavily armed police stormed the location just after 2am.
Thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/i ... ge/5969102
#illridewithyou: support for Muslim Australians takes off following Sydney siege

The #illridewithyou hashtag is continuing to trend on Twitter as a show of support for Muslim Australians after the siege at the Lindt cafe in Sydney.

#illridewithyou is trending worldwide on Twitter, rising by hundreds of tweets per minute - within hours it had been used in almost 120,000 tweets.

702 ABC Sydney have had calls from Muslim listeners who say they are too scared to ride on public transport at the moment.

The hashtag appears to have come from a Facebook post from Sydney woman Rachael Jacobs who was riding on a train in Sydney, and noticed a Muslim woman quietly take off her head covering.

In her post she said: "I ran after her at the train station. I said 'put it back on. I'll walk with u."

Another woman took to Twitter and wrote: "If you reg take the bus b/w Coogee/Martin PL, wear religious attire, &don't feel safe alone: I'll ride withyou. @me for schedule."

The woman, Twitter user @sirtessa, then suggested "maybe start a hashtag? What's in #illridewithyou?"

Last night Ms Jacobs said she had been overwhelmed by the response to her story.
My faith in humanity just rose sharply.

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

@rupertmurdoch 'AUST gets wake-call with Sydney terror. Only Daily Telegraph caught the bloody outcome at 2.00 am. Congrats.'
That fucking guy. Fuck him.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

tim31 wrote:
@rupertmurdoch 'AUST gets wake-call with Sydney terror. Only Daily Telegraph caught the bloody outcome at 2.00 am. Congrats.'
That fucking guy. Fuck him.
Vile fucker, isn't he?