Skyscraper Boom in Second-Largest Australian City Flags Glut

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

By Nichola Saminather - Oct 30, 2014

Australia’s second-largest city is seeing its skyline being transformed at the fastest pace ever by Asian developers building residential towers. Now there are concerns too many are going up.

Companies including Hong Kong-based Far East Consortium International Ltd. (35), Beijing-based Sino-Ocean Land Holdings Ltd. (3377) and Singapore’s Aspial Corp. (ASP) have flocked to build high-rises in Melbourne as lifestyles change and Chinese demand climbs. Twenty-three buildings taller than 200 meters (656 feet) are being planned or built, the most on record, according to Urban Melbourne, a website that tracks developments in the city.

“The level of building is unprecedented,” said Cameron Kusher, Brisbane-based senior research analyst at property information provider RP Data Pty. “The supply has been sufficient over recent years, and that could turn very quickly into an oversupply.”

Overseas developers are responding to a shift away from the great Australian dream of a suburban life centered around backyards and swimming pools. They’re also reacting to ever-increasing demand for new, centrally located apartments from Chinese buyers seeking to escape their own faltering housing market and improve their quality of life.

Melbourne was among the 10 most unaffordable housing markets in the latest report by consultancy Demographia released in January, which compares prices across nine countries.

High-Rise Dwellers

About 91,000 apartments in almost 530 projects are in planning or construction across all of Melbourne, according to Urban Melbourne data. Approvals for dwellings excluding houses jumped 66 percent in August from a year earlier in the greater Melbourne area, data from the statistics bureau showed.

Only six towers higher than 200 meters have been built since 1986, Urban Melbourne data show.

Convenience, reducing commuting times and a desire to be near city centers are driving a high-rise boom akin to Hong Kong and Singapore, where residential projects include communal swimming pools, barbecues, roomy foyers, theaters and entertainment rooms.

Deborah Flanagan, a 57-year-old school teacher, is a recent convert to high-rise dwelling. The life-long country resident and her partner are buying their second apartment in two years on the 60th floor of the 63-story Eq. Tower in Melbourne.

“You’ve got so much that’s accessible and close, and the unit will have magnificent views,” said Flanagan, whose three-bedroom apartment is set to be completed in 2017. “As mortality looms, we want a taste of living.”

Melbourne Irresistible

Melbourne-based ICD Property is developing Eq. Tower in partnership with Chinese developer Sino Ocean. Closely held ICD was founded by Michael Mai, the son of Mai Boliang, executive director of Hong Kong-listed China International Marine Containers Group Co. (2039)

While some developers are concerned demand won’t meet the rising supply, Melbourne’s population and home-price growth, and its ranking as the world’s most-livable city for four years running by the Economist Intelligence Unit, are proving irresistible for many, according to Matthew Khoo, development manager for ICD.

The city’s population could grow to 7.7 million by 2051 from 4.4 million now, according to estimates from Plan Melbourne, which sets out a blueprint for the city until 2050.

“Banks require that developers have a certain number of pre-sales, and that can happen only if there’s appetite,” Khoo said, adding that all 634 units at Eq. Tower have been pre-sold. “We were concerned demand wouldn’t meet supply, but it has been stronger than we anticipated.”

Hong Kong Style

The average price of a two-bedroom apartment at Eq. Tower is A$540,000 ($474,120), according to ICD.

Apartment values in Melbourne rose 5.2 percent over the 12 months through September, according to the RP Data CoreLogic home value index.

“In a country like Australia, people are historically not used to going up,” said Chris Hoong, Hong Kong-based managing director at Far East Consortium. “But when housing moves further and further away from the city, when you have to travel an hour, that’s when city living has its appeal.”

Far East, one of the earliest developers to introduce “Hong Kong-style” high-rises in Australia, is planning a four-tower complex in Melbourne’s center with about 3,000 apartments. The project, with its largest building expected to be more than 300 meters tall, is located across from the company’s other A$1 billion four-skyscraper Upper West Side that’s now under construction.

The average price of an apartment at Far East’s development is about A$9,500 per square meter, according to the company.

Chinese Immigrants

“There are more Asian developers now who have quite a lot of experience developing skyscrapers, more than many of the local developers,” said Louis Christopher, managing director of Sydney-based SQM Research Pty. Many of them are building apartments in Australia to satisfy growing demand from foreign buyers, he said.

Australia is the No. 1 destination for Chinese seeking to emigrate after Canada, which in February implemented restrictions on foreign investment and immigration, according to a report by CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets.

Chinese were the biggest investors in Australian residential and commercial property in the year through June 2013, according to the latest figures from the Foreign Investment Review Board.

Foreign buyers accounted for a quarter of demand for new homes and 11.5 percent of existing homes in Victoria in the three months to Sept. 30, the highest among all states, National Australia Bank Ltd. said in an Oct. 15 report. It didn’t break down demand by nationality.

Approved Projects

Among other planned projects is Australia 108 in Melbourne’s center. The project, being developed by Aspial, is set to become the first 100-plus-story building in the Southern Hemisphere, according to a Victorian state government statement in June. The tower, at 319 meters, will include 1,105 units.

The state government also approved a 75-story tower with 622 apartments, being developed by Melbourne-based Golden Age Group. In addition to traditional amenities including pools and gyms that many apartment buildings have, extra features include poker rooms and guest lounges to help attract buyers, Golden Age founder Jeff Xu said.

“The house on a quarter-acre block is losing relevance today,” Xu said in an e-mail.

The government of Victoria, of which Melbourne is the capital, estimates about 1.6 million additional homes would be needed to accommodate the city’s population growth, with apartments and townhouses making up two-thirds of these, according to Plan Melbourne.

The state government’s goal of higher density, which it is facilitating by rezoning certain areas to allow for high-rises, is encouraging developers, even when the demand to absorb the new supply isn’t evident, according to Andrew Wilson, senior economist at property information firm Domain Group.

“Melbourne is facing the prospect of a forest of empty high-rise towers in its central business district,” said Wilson. “We have yet to see the outcome of this record level of apartment construction.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Nichola Saminather in Sydney at nsaminather1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Andreea Papuc at apapuc1@bloomberg.net Tomoko Yamazaki
Source

I have given up guessing when the Australia property market will correct, but I think a correction is inevitable. Prices cannot keep indefinitely rising while incomes fall, the minerals boom ends, the labour market softens (participation rates keep falling and youth unemployment is rising) and household debt to GDP is at new records.

There are over 1 million "investors" that are negatively gearing their properties (running rental losses that they can deduct from other income to reduce their tax). They are all relying on capital gains. If the market even stagnates, a lot of people will be in trouble (I personally know a few).
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: Skyscraper Boom in Second-Largest Australian City Flags

Post by Guardsman Bass »

You're right that will have to adjust at some point. Right now it looks like the same thing as is happening in a couple of American cities: wealthy foreign buyers purchasing properties and driving the construction of new ones, both as a shelter for money (especially the Chinese buyers) and as a "bolt hole" in case something happens back home and they have to get out.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Besides, the Chinese like living in nice compounds full of people. Why should they not be able to transform cities to their liking if they have the cash for it? :lol: After all, American concept of the town and wealthy suburbs has impacted other countries as well.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Guardsman Bass wrote:You're right that will have to adjust at some point. Right now it looks like the same thing as is happening in a couple of American cities: wealthy foreign buyers purchasing properties and driving the construction of new ones, both as a shelter for money (especially the Chinese buyers) and as a "bolt hole" in case something happens back home and they have to get out.
A few of my other friends are saving up deposits and are hoping for a major crash. While I understand their desire for a home and their resentment of having to pay 8x-10x their income for a home (as opposed to 3-4x for their boomer parents), I don't think they understand how devastating such a crash (or even a slow melt, Japanese style) would be for the Australian economy.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Stas Bush wrote:Besides, the Chinese like living in nice compounds full of people. Why should they not be able to transform cities to their liking if they have the cash for it? :lol: After all, American concept of the town and wealthy suburbs has impacted other countries as well.
In theory, Chinese investors should only be allowed to invest in new housing thus at least increasing supply. In reality, not a single foreign property investor has been prosecuted for a breach of this rule in in the last 6-8 years. I find this particularly hard to believe as I live in a fairly Asian neighbourhood and it's pretty blatant that real estate agents are targeting Chinese buyers for existing property.

Join SDN on Discord
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Stas Bush wrote:Besides, the Chinese like living in nice compounds full of people. Why should they not be able to transform cities to their liking if they have the cash for it? :lol: After all, American concept of the town and wealthy suburbs has impacted other countries as well.
Las Vegas says hello.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bobalot wrote:A few of my other friends are saving up deposits and are hoping for a major crash. While I understand their desire for a home and their resentment of having to pay 8x-10x their income for a home (as opposed to 3-4x for their boomer parents), I don't think they understand how devastating such a crash (or even a slow melt, Japanese style) would be for the Australian economy.
It's a frustrating cycle, because the rising values have driven people to invest everything in the new real estate. I've found real estate cheaper in fucking Manhattan than in Sydney.

The only people I know who can realistically afford housing closer tot he city than Blacktown are those who've inherited land in the first place.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Gandalf wrote:
bobalot wrote:A few of my other friends are saving up deposits and are hoping for a major crash. While I understand their desire for a home and their resentment of having to pay 8x-10x their income for a home (as opposed to 3-4x for their boomer parents), I don't think they understand how devastating such a crash (or even a slow melt, Japanese style) would be for the Australian economy.
It's a frustrating cycle, because the rising values have driven people to invest everything in the new real estate. I've found real estate cheaper in fucking Manhattan than in Sydney.

The only people I know who can realistically afford housing closer tot he city than Blacktown are those who've inherited land in the first place.
San Francisco is leading the real estate price wars for most expensive city in the US these days, but your situation doesn't sound all that different from America in the 90s. Well except you don't seem to have tons of sub-prime mortgages getting ready to fuck you in the ass.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Gandalf wrote:

A friend of mine and his partner just bought a place in Penrith for $455,000. It about an hour by an express train to the city. Door to door is 1.5 hours (maybe more). That's 3 hours travel a day. Average house prices in Penrith apparently went up from $370,000 (October 2013) to $426,000 (September 2014), which is an increase of about 15%!

Penrith. An area of high social disadvantage, poor services and large amounts of vacant land.

Join SDN on Discord
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

This is also happening in Auckland with a lot of foreign investment and subsequently berserk house prices.
http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/campbell ... 2014103121
Shitty house, shoddy construction and involuntary water features, purchased for $57k NZD in the 80's. Just recently fetched an offer of $580k, the owners are holding out for $600k.
:D
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Similar story in London - more Tower Cranes in action than the rest of Europe, apparently. Considering the cities population is meant to be hitting 10 million in the next twenty years, I suspect it's going to get worse.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

bobalot wrote: I have given up guessing when the Australia property market will correct, but I think a correction is inevitable. Prices cannot keep indefinitely rising while incomes fall, the minerals boom ends, the labour market softens (participation rates keep falling and youth unemployment is rising) and household debt to GDP is at new records.
One of the reasons I suspect Australian real estate didn't crash like it did in the US is that bankruptcy due to medical costs is generally unheard of in Australia. Back before 2008 the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US was medical costs, and since you don't have the same pressure weighing on Australian households, it'll take a lot more collective debt before households begin deleveraging.
There are over 1 million "investors" that are negatively gearing their properties (running rental losses that they can deduct from other income to reduce their tax). They are all relying on capital gains. If the market even stagnates, a lot of people will be in trouble (I personally know a few).
Another unique feature of the Australian real estate market which allows people to leverage even further. Considering the number of speculators, including our elected members of government, proposing to unwind such incentives would be political suicide
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I would have thought the fact Australia doesn't have NINJA * loans sort of helped with preventing a property collapse.

* No Income No Job & Assets loan. A perjorative way to describe low doc or subprime loans.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Is that really a bad thing? High rise buildings are IMHO much better option than urban sprawl, and if there is really looming oversupply of these it will both discourage sprawl and make housing prices drop. Yes, some investors might lose, but the article even mentions most of the big ones are foreign anyway - so is there something I don't see making it worse?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Irbis wrote:Is that really a bad thing? High rise buildings are IMHO much better option than urban sprawl, and if there is really looming oversupply of these it will both discourage sprawl and make housing prices drop. Yes, some investors might lose, but the article even mentions most of the big ones are foreign anyway - so is there something I don't see making it worse?
People totally unable to buy housing I guess.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali