Unmanned Antares rocket explodes on takeoff

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Unmanned Antares rocket explodes on takeoff

Post by Dalton »

Developing now

NBC News
A private spaceship bound for the International Space Station exploded shortly after launch on Tuesday. Orbital Sciences' unmanned Cygnus spacecraft exploded as it blasted off atop an Antares rocket a few seconds after liftoff Tuesday evening from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Virginia.

The rocket launch was to be Orbital Sciences' third official cargo mission to the Space Station for NASA under a $1.9 billion contract, which calls for a total of eight delivery missions. The robotic Cygnus spacecraft — also built by Orbital — was filled with 5,000 pounds of food, water, experiments and other gear for the astronauts currently living aboard the space station.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Antares Rocket Explodes on Launch

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I believe "oh bollocks" is called for here.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Unmanned Antares rocket explodes on takeoff

You must have posted this exactly the same time I did. Mine has a video though. It's quite a sight.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Threads merged, and yeah, exact same minute.

Great loss of hardware, but no one was hurt as far as I can see, so hopefully there's no financial consequences.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Thanks.

It's a setback, and an impressive reminder of the dangers involved in lighting off that much rocket fuel, but yeah, no one seems to be injured, thank goodness.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: Antares Rocket Explodes on Launch

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I believe "oh bollocks" is called for here.
Heavy damage to Wallops Flight Facility, no casualties.
Oh bollocks is the right word, this is one of the COTS vehicles, of which SpaceX flies the other. Seems to be the first failure in their first stage out of 5 flights so far which, to be perfectly honest, isn't a bad record.
It's also destroyed a Planetary Resources satellite that it was boosting into LEO, so that sucks for them.
Next supply mission going up is launching tomorrow, it's a Progress vehicle. At least those on the ISS wont be going hungry ^^
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Ouch.

Looks an awful lot like footage of the old Russian N-1 moon rocket test flights — one of them got just a little bit clear of the pad then there was a flare from the engines as one of them exploded and took out some of the others. (The N-1 had 30 engines in its first stage, and they hadn't worked out all the bugs in the plumbing yet.) Anyone else thinking maybe something similar's happened here?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I'm not a rocket scientist, an engineer, or anyone smart enough to perform an investigation of this, but if you watch the video, you'll see that the rocket flares up significantly about one second before something blows up.

My guess is that one of the engines malfunctioned, throttled up or something, and then exploded, damaging the other engines and leading to unfocused burning that caused the rocket to fall right back down again.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Prannon wrote:My guess is that one of the engines malfunctioned, throttled up or something, and then exploded, damaging the other engines and leading to unfocused burning that caused the rocket to fall right back down again.
It only has two motors. If one blew, it is very likely to have taken the other one completely, not just damaged it.
What's even better about the N-1 comparisons though is that the Antares first stage flies on a pair of AJ26-58 motors. The AJ26 was originally the NK-33, a motor slated for the N-1 rocket, then sold to Aerojet in the mid 90's. So yeah...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

A good point, these engines aren't exactly shiny new, bleeding-edge technology. The Russians did come up with some very good designs, though, and this is one of them; I can't find reliability numbers for the engine itself, but so far the refurbishment deal's gone quite well (until a couple of hours ago...)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

SpottedKitty wrote:A good point, these engines aren't exactly shiny new, bleeding-edge technology. The Russians did come up with some very good designs, though, and this is one of them; I can't find reliability numbers for the engine itself, but so far the refurbishment deal's gone quite well (until a couple of hours ago...)
To be fair, there isnt a whole lot you can do with rocket motor design. One you have a turbopump fed engine with a twr and isp like the nk-33, youre pretty much flying the best motor youre going to get.
As far as I know, reliability is good. It has been for the antares until now at least. I believe theyre the only arrojet refurbishment flying. I might be wrong though.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I was actually looking for it from my balcony, I figured it just had its launch scraped again until I saw this :(
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sigh....one of my former coursemates is using this to harp on about how the Russians are useless, that for every success they have 32.something failures (but won't provide evidence for) and that the Russians lost two crews in the last two years due to rocket malfunctions.

For reference, he's an ex-Marine, which explains his "Merica fuck yeah."

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah, how many rockets exactly blew up in our faces before we managed to land on the moon? I'm fairly certain we had our own fair share of facepalm moments. Rockets exploding is nothing new.
A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode.

— Astronautics, issue 38, October 1937.
It all looked so easy when you did it on paper—where valves never froze, gyros never drifted, and rocket motors did not blow up in your face.

— Milton W. Rosen, rocket engineer, 1956.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Sigh....one of my former coursemates is using this to harp on about how the Russians are useless, that for every success they have 32.something failures (but won't provide evidence for) and that the Russians lost two crews in the last two years due to rocket malfunctions.
Perhaps tell him that a few hours after the explosion Progress 57 blasted off from Baikonur. It linked up with the ISS just fine after six hours of trouble-free spaceflight.

Or perhaps don't bother talking to obvious loonies, I guess.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion. To hell with him.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Sigh....one of my former coursemates is using this to harp on about how the Russians are useless, that for every success they have 32.something failures (but won't provide evidence for) and that the Russians lost two crews in the last two years due to rocket malfunctions.

For reference, he's an ex-Marine, which explains his "Merica fuck yeah."
Does he know that the current R-7 derivative (Soyuz-FG) has had zero failures out of 29 launches since 2001 when it came into service. Or that the Soviets haven't lost a crew since Soyuz... 11? That was 1971. Since then the US has lost two complete shuttle crews.
If it isn't obvious, I dislike anti-Russian stupids because the Russians are remarkably safe rocket engineers for around 40 years. Even Buran flew perfectly.

As for US early failures, well... Vanguard got relabelled Kaputnik by the press for a reason. There was no US orbiter until January 1958 despite numerous attempts.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah I've said all that...he just replies that anyone who uses Challenger or Columbia as a reponse to him saying the Soviets were useless is "being insensitive to the crews" and that "only a certain kind of person would resort to it, for shame."

Fuckwit. He still owes me a beer as well.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah I've said all that...he just replies that anyone who uses Challenger or Columbia as a reponse to him saying the Soviets were useless is "being insensitive to the crews" and that "only a certain kind of person would resort to it, for shame."
Oh so he's one of those, "If you criticize 'Murrica then you must be a terrorist asshole?" people?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah I've said all that...he just replies that anyone who uses Challenger or Columbia as a reponse to him saying the Soviets were useless is "being insensitive to the crews" and that "only a certain kind of person would resort to it, for shame."

Fuckwit. He still owes me a beer as well.
Meh. He is a Russophobe and damned if he's proven incorrect.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The said part is he works with the Russians...quite how no one has decked him yet I do not know.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The said part is he works with the Russians...quite how no one has decked him yet I do not know.
Once they get him to drink his fill of Vodka and spills the beans, we will see which ditch he ends up in. :mrgreen:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:[H]e just replies that anyone who uses Challenger or Columbia as a reponse to him saying the Soviets were useless is "being insensitive to the crews" and that "only a certain kind of person would resort to it, for shame."
This from the same man who harps on how the "Russians lost two crews in the last two years due to rocket malfunctions"? Not only is he a loonie, he's a raging hypocritical fuckwit as well. Ditch and avoid.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Done and done. It's a shame really, he used to be a pretty cool guy.

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Is it normal for a rocket motor to be pushed at 108% during a launch?