What Black Parents Tell Their Sons About the Police

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: What Black Parents Tell Their Sons About the Police

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

TheFeniX wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:That cop was fired and arrested, but that really doesn't help the black guy who was shot.
"Why'd you shoot me?"
"You dove head-first into your car. Then you jump back out, I'm telling you to get out of your car."

What a chuckle-fuck. You know, I don't have any fucks to give about procedure: if cops have to keep shooting everyone, the least they can do is quit instantly cuffing people for the crime of "being shot by police." At least then we'd have more people able to stop the bleeding themselves while the cop then bothers him for his driver's license. I can't tell from the camera, did he keep him handcuffed the whole time?

It will never happen due to incidents prior to this policy led to police, bystanders, and suspects being injured or killed.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

What claims did I make?

1. That police are not your friends and are not necessarily there to help you.

2. That you shouldn't call the police in situations where a crime has not been committed?

3. That there is a non-trivial chance of being abused by police if you are hostile or rude?

Only the third one would require numbers to back it up, and I doubt we (or anyone else) disagree about it.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Thanas wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:We're definitely talking past each other here because I have no idea what you are talking about. What guilty party is there in a medical alert situation? Or a bicycle accident? Do you expect the police to shoot the bicycle? Even I don't think they are that crazy.
The party who caused the accident and fled the scene, obviously.

Anyway, you are right, I don't get your stance. Are you saying that one should not call the police until there is a third party to punish?
I don't read that situation as there having been a hit and run.
The accident had happened just seconds before…

The bicycle had flipped forward and lay unattended in the street. The girl’s foot was bare and mangled, her chin bleeding. There was blood on her jacket, a puddle of it on the ground. Her name was Rebecca. “Where am I?” she kept asking. She was lucky to have been wearing a helmet. Josh, who had been giving her a ride on his handlebars, was wincing and bracing his shoulder.
I think someone just fell off their bike. If I'm wrong, I retract the example.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Since anecdotes/single-data-points apparently prove some sort of point in Dominus Atheos world, I guess I'll just continue to "shit up" this thread by posting some single-data-points that support my position:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/25459694/poli ... umter-teen

So, do I win now?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

This whole thread is about anecdotes. That's what the title is, "What Black Parents Tell Their Sons About the Police", with the OP being [/i]anecdotes[/i] of what black people were told as children or what black parents have told their own children about interacting with the police.

And as that video showed, the chances of a black person getting shot shot by the police despite doing nothing wrong is greater then 0%, so all the "anecdotes" about how to interact with the police seem fully justified to me.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

As long as the benefit of help from the police isn't worth the downside of potentially getting beaten or ending up breathing bullets, don't call the cops. This isn't particularly difficult. The chance of that downside should be low enough that you can safely disregard it in any case because it's literally their job for that chance to be zero, but it isn't. So do everything you can to lower that chance.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Are you serious?

So ... don't call the cops if you get into a car accident? Don't call the cops if someone is breaking into your house? Don't call the cops to report your vehicle stolen?

If you're not claiming that, then your statement boils down to "don't call the cops for trivial reasons", which is of course common sense.