ISIS destroyed Jonah's tomb and other historical sites

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: ISIS destroyed Jonah's tomb and other historical sites

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:And you have to spend billions of dollar to ensure that:
a) not that many refugees do drown when trying to reach Europe
b) spending to combat illegal immigration
c) spending on the security forces to prevent terrorists to retaliate
d) spend hundreds of million to intervene when things get too hot
Well Thanas, consider this: the US does not care about drowning refugees (not that this problem is widely cared about outside Italy anyway). The US already spends millions to combat illegal immigration - and on security.
Thanas wrote:The idea that there is a vast western conspiracy to encourage terrorism and civil war is completely ludicrous.
:lol: That says the person well aware of the fact that the US consciously created a network of fascist terrorists inside Europe, aptly calling it operation GLADIO.

I mean, 'vast conspiracy'? No. Enough is the mere fact that the United States does not care if women are stoned and people's heads are cut off, in fact, it can even intervene on behalf of the very fucking people who stone women and behead those who say Islam is violent.

Wrap that fact around your head. The US, and sometimes Europe, intervened many times on behalf of people so hideous you woudn't want them to sit near you in a bar.
Channel72 wrote:In fact, the US has spent billions building up the infrastructure of Iraq
The US has invaded the place, and turned it into a Mad Max anarchy wasteland outside the 'green zone' (pretty much like Afghanistan). When you invade a nation, that destabilizes the nation. But the US went further: it bombed Libya. It intervened on behalf of Libya's islamist rebels. It funneled aid, through third parties, to 'rebels' of Syria, many of which proceeded to work in the ISIS.

Hell you god damn idiot, you gave money to the Chechen islamists to rebel against Russia, and now some of these motherfuckers are leading the ISIS you think is just some sort of 'unexpected occurence'.

If Western politicians are as dumb as you are, I can believe that this is totally unexpected. But I do not. I don't believe the politicians are so fucking moronic as to sponsor rapists and cutthroats with no goal behind it. Maybe it's my cynism, but it is rather clear to me that Islamists are the best political weapon to keep the Middle East poor, like dirt poor, permanently at war, and disunited.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I never said otherwise. I was simply responding to your claim that the 1978 revolution had nothing to do with Western meddling.
Perhaps "nothing to do" is too strong/ambiguous wording. I meant it literally, in the sense that the 1978 revolution had no US involvement/meddling behind it whatsoever - it was an entirely internal affair, and the US certainly did not want it to happen. Granted, it was motivated by things the US did in the past, but that's another story.
Also, earlier in the thread you claimed that the 1978 revolution was "baffling" and acting surprised that anti-Western sentiment "somehow" coalesced to propel the Ayatollah into power. There was nothing baffling about it; in the eyes of the Iranians, the Shah's government was seen as illegitimate, and simply a puppet of the United States. That perception was a direct result of decades of occasionally violent meddling and coercion.
Okay, conceeded. But I think the 1978 Iranian revolution has always been something of an anomaly because Iran was relatively prosperous at the time - the usual reasons for revolution weren't really present, like financial crises, unemployment, or low standard of living.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Well Thanas, consider this: the US does not care about drowning refugees (not that this problem is widely cared about outside Italy anyway). The US already spends millions to combat illegal immigration - and on security.
That is the US. You claimed "the west" which means much more than the USA.
:lol: That says the person well aware of the fact that the US consciously created a network of fascist terrorists inside Europe, aptly calling it operation GLADIO.

I mean, 'vast conspiracy'? No. Enough is the mere fact that the United States does not care if women are stoned and people's heads are cut off, in fact, it can even intervene on behalf of the very fucking people who stone women and behead those who say Islam is violent.

Wrap that fact around your head. The US, and sometimes Europe, intervened many times on behalf of people so hideous you woudn't want them to sit near you in a bar.
Yeah, sure. Still does not equal to the US wanting the entire middle east getting destroyed so they can rule over the ruins.
If Western politicians are as dumb as you are, I can believe that this is totally unexpected. But I do not. I don't believe the politicians are so fucking moronic as to sponsor rapists and cutthroats with no goal behind it. Maybe it's my cynism, but it is rather clear to me that Islamists are the best political weapon to keep the Middle East poor, like dirt poor, permanently at war, and disunited.
Sure. If that is your goal then it is great. Now where is the evidence that there is such a goal, spanning decades of different governments in the west who mostly hate their predecessors?

And where is the evidence that this makes oil imports cheaper and easier to obtain? Because I tend to think that when you got marauding forces of bandits fighting against each other that kinda makes it hard to carry out oil extraction.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Ah, I see. So, basically you have a typical conspiracy-theory mindset where you think just because some motive (that you pull out of your ass) may exist, no matter how far-fetched or decade-spanning, a conspiracy must exist.
Stas Bush wrote: If Western politicians are as dumb as you are, I can believe that this is totally unexpected. But I do not. I don't believe the politicians are so fucking moronic as to sponsor rapists and cutthroats with no goal behind it. Maybe it's my cynism, but it is rather clear to me that Islamists are the best political weapon to keep the Middle East poor, like dirt poor, permanently at war, and disunited.
So, now you're sort of backpedaling. Before you claimed the US was interested in keeping Islamists in power, (even though you continue to ignore that the US typically backed secular dictators throughout the Cold War, and that most relatively secular Middle Eastern nations, like Jordan, are very US friendly).

Now... you're saying the US' goal is basically just to keep the Middle East poor by generally causing chaos (!!), and you outright ignore any evidence to the contrary, like the hundreds of billions of dollars they invest in Iraqi infrastructure. :roll:

As for the specific actions of Western politicians, they are usually very short-sighted. It turns out democracies with term limits tend to result in short-term thinking. The individual actions of the US in the Middle East are usually to achieve some immediate goal, not to further some overall policy of keeping the Middle East poor.

But I guess you think Western politicians are basically political masterminds who see decades into the future and the US is like some supervillain that cleverly conspires to keep the Middle East poor. You are seriously naive.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:That is the US. You claimed "the west" which means much more than the USA.
And I specifically excluded nations which are mostly peaceful and harmless; like the Netherlands. Nations that are not sick and fucked in the head to play some 'great game' in the Middle East.
Thanas wrote:Yeah, sure. Still does not equal to the US wanting the entire middle east getting destroyed so they can rule over the ruins.
Do the ruins pose a problem for them? I see none. Sometimes they kill some arabs from the air. That is all there is.
Thanas wrote:Sure. If that is your goal then it is great. Now where is the evidence that there is such a goal, spanning decades of different governments in the west who mostly hate their predecessors?
Uh... hate? :lol: They 'hate' the predecessors by doing the very same things they did? I mean, between operation Ajax in Iran and the sponsoring of Pakistani genocide in Bengal there is a huge timespan - 20 years. Between the genocide there and the sponsoring of islamists in Afghanistan, together with Pakistan, there is another 10 years. Between that time and the sponsoring of jihadists via the client states Saudi Arabia and Qatar, there is another 10 years or so. Is that the great discontinuity I am supposed to notice?
Thanas wrote:And where is the evidence that this makes oil imports cheaper and easier to obtain? Because I tend to think that when you got marauding forces of bandits fighting against each other that kinda makes it hard to carry out oil extraction.
:lol: Easier to obtain maybe no, but cheaper - certainly. Besides, once the regime after the initial chaos is somewhat stabilized (even if that regime is the ISIS or Islamist gangs in Libya), they start pumping. Because that is the only source of income, and money is survival. They are ready to cut prices if they can. They are ready to sell as soon as they can.

You know how Iraq asked for a larger quota to help rebuild itself after the war devastation, right? Or you forgot?
Channel72 wrote:Now... you're saying the US' goal is basically just to keep the Middle East poor by generally causing chaos (!!)
Isn't that so? I mean, how much chaos over the decades has the US caused? Tons. Shitloads. Maybe they don't have that goal in mind. But then they're just fucking morons. And also they are morons with a useless crusade just to make people's lives even more miserable. And they keep repeating it over and over.

Or maybe you are right, and both the people and the government of the US really are fucking idiots with a 4-year attention span. I like the sound of it. But it is scary.

If you can't tie the threads between sponsoring Hekmatiyar and the rise of the Taliban, between fathering the Chechen 'amirs' and their command positions in the current IS(IS) ranks, you too are blind.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:That is the US. You claimed "the west" which means much more than the USA.
And I specifically excluded nations which are mostly peaceful and harmless; like the Netherlands. Nations that are not sick and fucked in the head to play some 'great game' in the Middle East.
So.....that leaves out pretty much every nation in the west except for France, Britain and the US. How is that "the west" again?
Do the ruins pose a problem for them? I see none. Sometimes they kill some arabs from the air. That is all there is.
This is insanity in the highest degree and can only be explained by you somehow missing the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war, the refugee crisis and the recent trouble in Egypt. I mean, WTF? Do you realize how stupid this sounds after the massive expenses caused by these things?
Uh... hate? :lol: They 'hate' the predecessors by doing the very same things they did? I mean, between operation Ajax in Iran and the sponsoring of Pakistani genocide in Bengal there is a huge timespan - 20 years. Between the genocide there and the sponsoring of islamists in Afghanistan, together with Pakistan, there is another 10 years. Between that time and the sponsoring of jihadists via the client states Saudi Arabia and Qatar, there is another 10 years or so. Is that the great discontinuity I am supposed to notice?
No, you are supposed to at least aknowledge that in most nations there are several changes of government and their approach to high strategy and continuity varies considerably. See for example the Bush doctrine vs Obama's dickering.
:lol: Easier to obtain maybe no, but cheaper - certainly. Besides, once the regime after the initial chaos is somewhat stabilized (even if that regime is the ISIS or Islamist gangs in Libya), they start pumping. Because that is the only source of income, and money is survival. They are ready to cut prices if they can. They are ready to sell as soon as they can.
Evidence for that, please.

(And easy access certainly influences the price. When you got to pay Blackwater scum to guard your pipelines it costs a lot).
You know how Iraq asked for a larger quota to help rebuild itself after the war devastation, right? Or you forgot?
I also know how Iraqi oil exports were falling far behind expectations. Or you forgot about that?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Stas Bush wrote:Or maybe you are right, and both the people and the government of the US really are fucking idiots with a 4-year attention span. I like the sound of it. But it is scary.
Holy shit, is this seriously fucking news to you? Again, Western democracies with term limits result in short-term thinking.
If you can't tie the threads between sponsoring Hekmatiyar and the rise of the Taliban, between fathering the Chechen 'amirs' and their command positions in the current IS(IS) ranks, you too are blind.
Okay Stas... yeah, those events span decades. You seriously believe the US is that good at manipulating the world? When Bush couldn't even fucking competently pull off the Iraq invasion or prevent September 11th? Oh wait... maybe you think 9/11 was also "all part of the EVIL plan".

Anyway, what's even more fucking hilarous about your US-as-supervillain thinking is that the US spends billions on counter-terrorism, and it's widely understood that poverty and political instability cause terrorism. Terrorist attacks on home-soil are really bad for a politician in a democracy. In fact, one of Bush's goals with the Iraq war was to start democratizing the Middle East so it would become more economically stable/US-friendly, reducing safe-havens for terrorists. Obviously, Bush's plan was disastrously ill-conceived and based on lies, but the motivation is totally the opposite of what you're claiming.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Also, far from selling "oil for food", most Middle Eastern countries which export oil (the Gulf states) are essentially first-world-standard-of-living nations with insane per-capita GDPs. Even Saudi Arabia has a per-capita GDP which is comparable to a Western nation. Most of these places are hardly "hell-holes" (unless you're a Saudi woman) for the people that have citizenship there. Places like Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE etc. are highly functioning nations, and the US has done nothing to try and destablize them. (In fact, the US has helped out many of these nations, as well as Jordan, with counter-terrorism measures.)

The actual unstable countries, like Egypt, Yemen, etc. don't have much oil to speak of, which leaves Iraq as the lone example even vaguely supporting your idea - but of course anyone whose been alive in the past decade knows how much fucking money America is pouring into trying to stabilize Iraq (and they can't even get that right...)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:So.....that leaves out pretty much every nation in the west except for France, Britain and the US. How is that "the west" again?
I defined those who my grievances are directed against clearly: the acting parties. The governments that can steer the military machine of the NATO or regional alliances. Yes, that is pretty much the US, France, Britain. Some US lapdogs, too, are probably at fault, but they aren't pursuing sinister goals, just scoring points with their master.
Thanas wrote:This is insanity in the highest degree and can only be explained by you somehow missing the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war, the refugee crisis and the recent trouble in Egypt. I mean, WTF? Do you realize how stupid this sounds after the massive expenses caused by these things?
Massive expenses... Trying to give a damn... Damn not given. In fact, every bit of unrest in the Middle East created an enormous wave of financial troubles for many nations. But so what? It did not stop them from meddling. Which means they can either tolerate the expenditures or they simply do not care about financial losses incurred due to fighting so as long as their goal is 'accomplished', in the words of the Great Decider.
Thanas wrote:No, you are supposed to at least aknowledge that in most nations there are several changes of government and their approach to high strategy and continuity varies considerably. See for example the Bush doctrine vs Obama's dickering.
Difference: one wasted some lives, the other tries to do the same thing with drones and strong-arming weak fools into doing the bombing for him. One bombed nations full of islamists (he couldn't have seriously thought that would make islamists weaker or go away), the other is giving money to islamists to topple more secular regimes... Uh... Yes. They are somewhat different.
Thanas wrote:Evidence for that, please.
Libya's exporting per day is at a five-year high, I heard. That with the pumps in gang hands.
Thanas wrote:I also know how Iraqi oil exports were falling far behind expectations. Or you forgot about that?
Um. I think that the result is satisfactory:

Assalti Frontali
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Stas Bush wrote:Massive expenses... Trying to give a damn... Damn not given. In fact, every bit of unrest in the Middle East created an enormous wave of financial troubles for many nations. But so what? It did not stop them from meddling. Which means they can either tolerate the expenditures or they simply do not care about financial losses incurred due to fighting so as long as their goal is 'accomplished', in the words of the Great Decider.
What goal??? You realize Obama voted against the Iraq war, and now he's President and trying to distance himself as much as possible from Bush's goals and agendas. You can't seriously be so fucking tin-foil-hat-wearing batshit insane to think that there is any overriding "goal" of the US towards the Middle East that spans multiple Democrat/Republican administrations, other than some common energy policies and a vague interest in steering governments there towards a US-friendly position. (Even support for Israel has waned somewhat under Obama, much to the frustration of right-wing idiots.)

Also, France didn't even cooperate with the US initiative to invade Iraq, so really the "West" is a very ill-defined idea in terms of general policy towards the Mid-East.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Stas Bush wrote:Libya's exporting per day is at a five-year high, I heard. That with the pumps in gang hands.
Libya's crude oil production, yearly average:

Dec. 31, 2005 1.633M
Dec. 31, 2006 1.681M
Dec. 31, 2007 1.702M
Dec. 31, 2008 1.736M
Dec. 31, 2009 1.65M
Dec. 31, 2010 1.65M
Dec. 31, 2011 465.40K
Dec. 31, 2012 1.367M
Dec. 31, 2013 918.33K

Source: https://ycharts.com/indicators/libya_cr ... ion_annual

Last 12 months, monthly average:

May 31, 2013 1.42M
June 30, 2013 1.13M
July 31, 2013 1.00M
Aug. 31, 2013 590.00K
Sept. 30, 2013 360.00K
Oct. 31, 2013 550.00K
Nov. 30, 2013 220.00K
Dec. 31, 2013 230.00K
Jan. 31, 2014 510.00K
Feb. 28, 2014 380.00K
March 31, 2014 250.00K
April 30, 2014 210.00K

Source: https://ycharts.com/indicators/libya_cr ... production
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:So.....that leaves out pretty much every nation in the west except for France, Britain and the US. How is that "the west" again?
I defined those who my grievances are directed against clearly: the acting parties. The governments that can steer the military machine of the NATO or regional alliances. Yes, that is pretty much the US, France, Britain. Some US lapdogs, too, are probably at fault, but they aren't pursuing sinister goals, just scoring points with their master.
So three nations are now the west. Yeah, fuck that.
Massive expenses... Trying to give a damn... Damn not given. In fact, every bit of unrest in the Middle East created an enormous wave of financial troubles for many nations. But so what? It did not stop them from meddling. Which means they can either tolerate the expenditures or they simply do not care about financial losses incurred due to fighting so as long as their goal is 'accomplished', in the words of the Great Decider.
And what goal would that be? BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD? This sounds more and more insane each moment.
Difference: one wasted some lives, the other tries to do the same thing with drones and strong-arming weak fools into doing the bombing for him. One bombed nations full of islamists (he couldn't have seriously thought that would make islamists weaker or go away), the other is giving money to islamists to topple more secular regimes... Uh... Yes. They are somewhat different.
The fuck, dude? Have you gone completely off the wagon? Did you miss the Iraq war?

I mean, jeez, Obama is bad, but he is not the one invading two nations as one. In fact, when given the chance to do so under perfectly understandable pretexts he declined.

If Obama were this bloodthirsty guy all out to kill the arabs he'd have jumped at the chance of destroying syria.
Libya's exporting per day is at a five-year high, I heard. That with the pumps in gang hands.
Nope, it has fallen drastically compared to the exports in 2010 and 2011. To less than a fifth of that.
Um. I think that the result is satisfactory:
Yeah, so after all that they are right back to exporting....at pre-embargo levels. That doesn't actually do wonders for your case.
------------
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stas Bush wrote:Isn't that so? I mean, how much chaos over the decades has the US caused? Tons. Shitloads. Maybe they don't have that goal in mind. But then they're just fucking morons. And also they are morons with a useless crusade just to make people's lives even more miserable. And they keep repeating it over and over.

Or maybe you are right, and both the people and the government of the US really are fucking idiots with a 4-year attention span. I like the sound of it. But it is scary.
It is, however, true by all appearances. I will go into more depth below.
Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:And you have to spend billions of dollar to ensure that:
a) not that many refugees do drown when trying to reach Europe
b) spending to combat illegal immigration
c) spending on the security forces to prevent terrorists to retaliate
d) spend hundreds of million to intervene when things get too hot
Well Thanas, consider this: the US does not care about drowning refugees (not that this problem is widely cared about outside Italy anyway). The US already spends millions to combat illegal immigration - and on security.
Yes, and it's expensive.

Stop and think. Which narrative makes more sense:

1) The US/West knowingly seeks to destroy any and all quasistable or competent governments in the Middle East, for fear of allowing rivals to emerge. And has no problem spending indefinitely large amounts of money 'securing' itself against the terrorists it's stirring up. But despite this, the US/West continues to spend tens or hundreds of billions on development aid to these countries, when it would be trivially easy to just arm the terrorists and guerillas and stand back while they rip countries apart.

OR

2) The US/West does not have a coherent policy either to beggar the Middle East or to build it up. It spends huge sums of money on security because it perceives a threat. It spends money on development aid when ideological or political arguments dictate it should do so. Sometimes they advocate spending money, sometimes not. Sometimes they advocate backing a dictator against rebels, sometimes backing rebels against a dictator. There is, I repeat, no coherent policy.

If (1) is true, then the strategists responsible for the overall Western plan to beggar the Middle East are so stupid it strains the imagination. The US spent two trillion dollars trying to stabilize, control, and establish a very specific sort of regime in Iraq. They wound up turning Iraq into a wartorn hellhole instead. And therefore you accuse them of having intended this outcome all along.

I think that you are committing the classic error of the conspiracy theorist: assuming that because things happened in a certain way, they must have been planned and pre-arranged that way by some powerful force. I disagree. Believe me, it would have been a lot cheaper to do nothing but ensure that Iraq turned into a wartorn hellhole. The expensive part was the (largely futile) effort to maintain law and order in the country while rebuilding infrastructure that had withered under a decade of war and a decade of embargo.

It is hard to imagine that anyone could possibly have made a logical calculation 'proving' that turning Iraq into a wartorn hellhole was worth two trillion dollars, or even a fraction of that enormous sum, to the United States. The idea is ridiculous.

So in short, (1) totally fails to explain US actions in Iraq. (2), on the other hand, can do so easily, because it boils down to "governments act according to shifting winds of ideology and politics, and do not have a consistent policy of either beggaring or building the Middle East. They do whatever seems convenient and ideologically proper to do at that momnet."

For example, neocon ideology says that spending aid money in Iraq while making it a bastion of corporate-capitalist-democracy is good (see New American Century). So Bush spends lots of money there after his invasion, because his goal is to achieve an end-state predicted by neocon ideology... and neocon ideology says that it'll be worth the money in the long run. So, again, Bush spends huge amounts of money on aid programs that require very expensive security forces to keep in operation. Even if this is far less efficient as a way to make people healthy and educated than spending the money in a country NOT torn apart by a massive guerilla war.

But then political constraints tell Obama he should pull out of Iraq. And Obama does not care about neocon ideology, so he pulls out and spends almost NO money on Iraq. And he totally abdicates power over events there, writing off as sunk costs the huge amount of blood and treasure spent by Bush. And only then do radicals take over a large chunk of the country.

Thus, the invasion and hellhole-izing of Iraq under Bush, and the takeover by radical fundamentalist Sunnis under Obama, do not reflect a coherent policy of "beggar thy neighbor." They reflect the US taking an interest in forcibly changing Iraq, then giving up on that interest. Which was done for reasons that have little to do with any overriding national geopolitical strategy and much to do with internal political debates.
Thanas wrote:The idea that there is a vast western conspiracy to encourage terrorism and civil war is completely ludicrous.
But in that case the fascist terrorists' terrorism was directed against communists, and people that the CIA and so on thought of as communist sympathizers. The CIA had no intention of creating terrorist networks whose rage would be directed at themselves.

For the US/West/Whatever to knowingly create a network of Islamic fundamentalist regimes with a policy of using terrorism for political ends would be, oh... about as dumb as the Cold War KGB channeling money to the creation of violent anticommunist militias. Arguably worse, since the hostility of the anticommunist militias would be aimed against foreign communists, and the Soviet Union itself would have no need to directly fear them. Whereas the US has excellent reason to fear terrorism and hostility coming from Islamic fundamentalist groups. Such hostility is aimed directly at the US and has real power to harm or at least gravely inconvenience the US.

If the US creates such a threat to itself, it seems far more likely that this is an accident, not a deliberate policy.

The only major intervention that has occurred under Obama was in Libya, and the Libyan intervention was on behalf of a bizarre and confused blur of different rebel organizations who agreed on only one thing: Muammar Gaddafi had to go.

Since the US had never liked Gaddafi anyway, and since even Obama holds a lingering ideological belief that 'democracy' in some vague sense should triumph over dictatorship as long as it's not too inconvenient... this resulted in US intervention against Gaddafi. Not because of any particular desire to make Libya a hellhole, but because of ideology and historical cases of Gaddafi antagonizing the West.
Channel72 wrote:In fact, the US has spent billions building up the infrastructure of Iraq
The US has invaded the place, and turned it into a Mad Max anarchy wasteland outside the 'green zone' (pretty much like Afghanistan). When you invade a nation, that destabilizes the nation.
You know this, because you are not an idiot.

George Bush, Jr.... WAS an idiot. By all appearances, including the testimony of senior figures in his administration, and numerous journalists who had highly placed access to his deliberations. He actually thought that invading Iraq would make it MORE stable, not less. Somehow, he was able to persuade large numbers of pro-idiocy people in America (and other nations) to go along with this idiocy.

Thus, Iraq has become a hellhole. Afghanistan was a hellhole even before the US showed up, due to the Soviets intervening in the place in the 1980s and the US proceeding to cheerfully back Afghan guerillas as a cheap way of giving the Soviets a black eye.

[Incidentally, the US intervention in Afghanistan in the '80s is a great example of how to make a country a hellhole cheaply, rather than wasting huge amounts of money doing it expensively]
But the US went further: it bombed Libya. It intervened on behalf of Libya's islamist rebels. It funneled aid, through third parties, to 'rebels' of Syria, many of which proceeded to work in the ISIS.
This, again, was due to ideology that blinded the US to the true nature of the factions it was backing. Many of the dumber US 'intellectuals' decided that the end of the Cold War meant that some kind of historical inevitability was causing US-style government to replace other governments. So they just ignorantly assumed that anyone seeking to overthrow a dictator would automatically end up creating a Western-style government. NOT an Islamic fundamentalist government.

Idiocy, not a coherent policy of beggaring the Middle East.
But if they are cynical and cunning enough to do this, surely they are also cynical and cunning enough not to waste trillions of dollars and destroy their own political careers by doing this in a needlessly expensive fashion.

American politicians have ALWAYS been hamhanded incompetents when it comes to foreign policy, with precious few exceptions I can think of. The American political process does not in any way reward or promote political candidates for having a clear understanding of history, geopolitics, or foreign cultures. At least half the US's political elite has unbreakable ties to a fake-intelligentsia of complete babbling halfwits who substitute ignorance and racism and hagiography of their own nation for actual analysis of the people they're dealing with. As a result, the American military-industrial-espionage-foreign-policy establishment is massively contaminated with idiots, on a level that you may be unable to imagine but which is very real.

Honestly, if the US's political establishment DID have a conspiracy going to accomplish some end in foreign policy, they would most likely end up accomplishing the opposite. Because of idiocy.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

I don't think that it's necessarily idiocy that causes most problems, since to reach the positions to cause these fuckups requires at the very least some level of ability, but a combination of ideological blinkering and arrogance. These are people that have succeeded within their native framework, and either cannot or will not realize that that does not mean their approach will work everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bush & Co. were anticipating a large payday from Iraq, but I also think that they thought they would be helping the Iraqi people.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I consider blinkering and arrogance on this level to be a form of idiocy. I don't have to be a drooling halfwit incapable of basic thought to be idiotic on certain issues, especially issues where I've been able to live my life in a state of ignorance and get away with it.

I'd like to expand, though, on why I basically agree with your statement:
...since to reach the positions to cause these fuckups requires at the very least some level of ability... These are people that have succeeded within their native framework, and either cannot or will not realize that that does not mean their approach will work everywhere.
American politicians are often very clever at things that directly impact their ability to get elected to high political office. Most of them are also clever at whatever they used to do professionally (i.e. Obama was a very successful scholar of law and is very good at rhetoric and lawyering).

What they are NOT, necessarily, is good at fields where making intelligent decisions requires a broad grasp of general-education facts about, say, science, history, or foreign culture. This is mostly a problem because it makes it very likely that they will listen to blowhards who try to frame a situation in emotional terms ("we must do X to keep our credibility!"), or who are too busy classifying whole nations as 'good' or 'evil' to understand the situation.

I don't think this problem is unique to the US necessarily, but in the US it's become institutionalized to a level that makes our foreign policy very inept and ineffective. Even during the Cold War, we really only managed to stay afloat by going "well, what do the Soviets want? They want XYZ? Oppose it."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Hey, Stas. As an American who doesn't want his country to be evil, I'd like to know, what would you have us do change/prevent this? Or did that ship sail in 1776 and I should just get a pair of jackboots and go with it?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:Hey, Stas. As an American who doesn't want his country to be evil, I'd like to know, what would you have us do change/prevent this? Or did that ship sail in 1776 and I should just get a pair of jackboots and go with it?
....that is, perhaps, not the best way to put such a question to Stas. And I suspect the topic of what Stas thinks the US and the West in general should be would be off-topic enough to warrant a thread of its own.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:So three nations are now the west. Yeah, fuck that.
Because the others are toothless and powerless nothings who cannot even stop a war? Look at Iraq. That's it.
Thanas wrote:And what goal would that be? BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD? This sounds more and more insane each moment.
It is not me who wrote that America's goals are the following: no single power should be allowed to consolidate the region (gain enough power to dominate it); or that the consolidation in the so-called unstable zone of the 'Eurasian Balkans' should be done the basis of an Islamic identity. That was a respected American expert. That is certainly not insane, but yes, very bloody.
Thanas wrote:The fuck, dude? Have you gone completely off the wagon? Did you miss the Iraq war? I mean, jeez, Obama is bad, but he is not the one invading two nations as one. In fact, when given the chance to do so under perfectly understandable pretexts he declined. If Obama were this bloodthirsty guy all out to kill the arabs he'd have jumped at the chance of destroying syria.
The formation and strengthening of ISIS in Syria who then proceeded to wreck Iraq, is a direct result of Obama's meddling first in Libya, then in Syria with the 'aid' of Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Syria could not be destroyed because, unlike Libya, Russia and China kept vetoing any UN resolutions that would have allowed anything like Libya to transpire. Despite the fighting being extremely intense and brutal, with chemical weapons possibly being used. So while Russia and China learned the lesson from Libya, the US and its allied powers did not.
Thanas wrote:Nope, it has fallen drastically compared to the exports in 2010 and 2011. To less than a fifth of that.
Yeah, I've seen already - the annual figures are bad. But I'm still wondering whether the daily maximums were really attained.
Thanas wrote:Yeah, so after all that they are right back to exporting....at pre-embargo levels. That doesn't actually do wonders for your case.
How so? There's a lot of oil, most of it is controlled by the very large multinationals or cartels. And while the ISIS poses a temporary disruption, I am sure that the benefits of keeping the ME disunited and at war well exceed the losses incurred because of that. You see, if the regime is stable, would it really give control of its oil fields to foreign corporations? Completely relinquish it? And not ask for more - taxing exports, nationalizing the pumps - as not only Arabs but Latin Americans often did.

But an unstable nation is a weak nation. It can be strong-armed into signing any agreements. If necessary, you can even carve out a piece of a nation that will agree to your draconian conditions and completely relinquish control over the natural resources to you and your corporations.

I still remember how happy were all the oil giants to grab Russian oil during the Yeltsin years, despite the nation being in a state of turmoil, war, poverty and malnourishment. So forgive me for being completely distrustful and never, ever trusting a word that comes out of the megacorporate mouth.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Because the others are toothless and powerless nothings who cannot even stop a war? Look at Iraq. That's it.
Then you better use the names of the three nations instead of "the west" because otherwise it would be akin to me meaning Japan everytime I said "Asia".
It is not me who wrote that America's goals are the following: no single power should be allowed to consolidate the region (gain enough power to dominate it); or that the consolidation in the so-called unstable zone of the 'Eurasian Balkans' should be done the basis of an Islamic identity. That was a respected American expert. That is certainly not insane, but yes, very bloody.
A) Who?
B) As subsequent events have shown, that was clearly not the goal of the USA in the Balkans, nor official policy of the EU.
C) Even if it were, this quote does not mean anything like the way you say it does. All it says is that the US does not want a single state to replace them in control of the oil. It does not mean that they want to destroy all states.
The formation and strengthening of ISIS in Syria who then proceeded to wreck Iraq, is a direct result of Obama's meddling first in Libya, then in Syria with the 'aid' of Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Syria could not be destroyed because, unlike Libya, Russia and China kept vetoing any UN resolutions that would have allowed anything like Libya to transpire. Despite the fighting being extremely intense and brutal, with chemical weapons possibly being used. So while Russia and China learned the lesson from Libya, the US and its allied powers did not.
So.....instead of Obama's well known incompetence for getting anything done it suddenly is a sign of a cunning plan instead of that incompetence? This is getting ridiculous even for your standards.
Yeah, I've seen already - the annual figures are bad. But I'm still wondering whether the daily maximums were really attained.
Why should that matter?
How so? There's a lot of oil, most of it is controlled by the very large multinationals or cartels. And while the ISIS poses a temporary disruption, I am sure that the benefits of keeping the ME disunited and at war well exceed the losses incurred because of that. You see, if the regime is stable, would it really give control of its oil fields to foreign corporations? Completely relinquish it? And not ask for more - taxing exports, nationalizing the pumps - as not only Arabs but Latin Americans often did.
Because if you claim that what the USA wants is cheap oil, needing a whole war that wrecked the deficit and barely got the exports back to pre-embargo level is not the way to do it. They could have just lifted the embargo then (and please do me the favor of not trying to act as if that would turn Saddam into somebody in whole control of Saudi-Arabia and the UAE).
If you claim that the USA wants a destroyed nation, that is not logical seeing how much treasure and lives were wasted on their idealistic and incompetent attempt at reconstruction.

In short, your ideas do not match the facts.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Simon, I do see your point, but I cannot help but see at least some sort of consistency in the policy (and yes: the pre-Bush and post-Bush regimes are more aimed towards doing the same thing cheaply, Bush was the only one who directly assaulted the Middle East and Central Asia with military force).

Thanas, Channel and others seem to think that the change of presidents somehow means the US and other nations change foreign policy radically every four years. In fact, the changes are often marginal and the impact of long-standing doctrines is very long-lasting. I have a theory as to why this is so: one, the Senate is a gerontocracy full of incumbents that act like a Politbureau echo chamber. Two, the National Security establlishment (CIA) is an even more of a closed gerontocracy ruled by the very same people with the very same attitudes.

Examples: Jackson-Vanik amendment remaining in force even for successor states of the USSR for a very long time (despite being removed for the PRC as this interferes with WTO rules). The sponsoring of islamists, often of the most dangerous kind, way after the USSR collapsed (so this isn't just a fluke or inconsistent policy, in my view).

Now, viewing the security establishments and spy organizations as dangerous, self-serving tools that are controlled and steered either by the same people for decades, or by people brought up in the same vein using the very same theories, and considering the fact that these organizations direct the state policy in matters of 'national security' (though it would be much better to honestly call these things a Ministry of War), one can imagine a consistent, even if slightly misguided, policy to ensure non-dominance of the Middle East on the basis of fracturing it through 'islamic identity' (as opposed to national or even pan-Arab identity).

I am not saying that I know this. It just looks afwully close to reality. Like I said, the fact that the tail can wag the dog (the War people, let's call them that, consistently wield an excessive amount of influence over national policy in the US, and many European governments are eager to help not because they are really thinking the same, but just to score points with Big Brother) is one of the ways such a strategy can come about. And it takes no conspiracy, too. Just a bit of wrong-thinking in security stink tanks, just a bit of mindless following on part of the politicians, people and other governments.

Assalti Frontali
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Then you better use the names of the three nations instead of "the west" because otherwise it would be akin to me meaning Japan everytime I said "Asia".
If Japan's decisions could commit a huge fraction of Asian nations to war like complete tools, maybe you could say that. But it is not so.
Thanas wrote:A) Who?
B) As subsequent events have shown, that was clearly not the goal of the USA in the Balkans, nor official policy of the EU.
C) Even if it were, this quote does not mean anything like the way you say it does. All it says is that the US does not want a single state to replace them in control of the oil. It does not mean that they want to destroy all states.
Zbigniew Brzezinski. And no, the 'Eurasian Balkans' are not the same as the real Balkans, it is a region this big
http://orientalreview.org/wp-content/up ... EB_map.jpg
This is not a quote. However, I can quote from the 'Grand Chessboard' and other American literature on the matter, if you wish. Who said about 'destroying all states'? I said it is likely they wish to keep the region disunited (that much is clear), and that they wish for its nations to have an islamic identity as opposed to a nationalist or secular one (because, maybe falsely, they may be fearing that such regimes are more likely to cooperate with Moscow and/or PRC). The way this policy can horribly backfire is obvious and already seen. But it is also true that the goals of keeping the place disunited and unstable enough so that no other power can dominate it are very much achieved, even with a substantial external cost.
Thanas wrote:So.....instead of Obama's well known incompetence for getting anything done it suddenly is a sign of a cunning plan instead of that incompetence? This is getting ridiculous even for your standards.
Sure, sure, Obama is simply a incompetent buffoon and this doesn't at all look like a conscious assault om known Moscow/China client states (both Libya and Syria were very closely tied to Moscow, and the PRC was also making inroads there).
Thanas wrote:Why should that matter?
Because it demonstrates the possibility of gang-controlled pumps giving out enough oil?
Thanas wrote:Because if you claim that what the USA wants is cheap oil, needing a whole war that wrecked the deficit and barely got the exports back to pre-embargo level is not the way to do it. They could have just lifted the embargo then (and please do me the favor of not trying to act as if that would turn Saddam into somebody in whole control of Saudi-Arabia and the UAE).
If you claim that the USA wants a destroyed nation, that is not logical seeing how much treasure and lives were wasted on their idealistic and incompetent attempt at reconstruction. In short, your ideas do not match the facts.
Saddam was an unpredictable ruler in control of the resources of Iraq. Saddam's resources would have allowed him to make Iraq a powerhouse, if traded with the same success as those of Saudi Arabia. But did I say the goal was simply 'cheap oil'? It was much more that that: keeping the region disunited. With American forces placed right in the middle of it, foreign domination was surely out of the question. Saddam could've went to other nations to make a military coalition, maybe even the same ones that Syria went to (the US would not want this to happen, that much is clear). And the rise of islamists through the silent but continous sponsorship of such radical islamist patrons as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Qatar was pre-ordained - one had to be blind to fund these nations for decades and not expect a huge increase in islamist activity. But if a 'more pronounced islamic identity' is indeed a long-standing goal, then the activity is very much understandable, even if it produces unwelcome byproducts such as movements and regimes too radical even for the US to stomach.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:Then you better use the names of the three nations instead of "the west" because otherwise it would be akin to me meaning Japan everytime I said "Asia".
If Japan's decisions could commit a huge fraction of Asian nations to war like complete tools, maybe you could say that. But it is not so.
Nevertheless, your language is imprecise. When people say the west they mean Europe + USA + Canada, not just USA + one or two European states.
Zbigniew Brzezinski. And no, the 'Eurasian Balkans' are not the same as the real Balkans, it is a region this big
http://orientalreview.org/wp-content/up ... EB_map.jpg
What now? I've never heard the term used that way.
This is not a quote. However, I can quote from the 'Grand Chessboard' and other American literature on the matter, if you wish. Who said about 'destroying all states'? I said it is likely they wish to keep the region disunited (that much is clear), and that they wish for its nations to have an islamic identity as opposed to a nationalist or secular one (because, maybe falsely, they may be fearing that such regimes are more likely to cooperate with Moscow and/or PRC). The way this policy can horribly backfire is obvious and already seen. But it is also true that the goals of keeping the place disunited and unstable enough so that no other power can dominate it are very much achieved, even with a substantial external cost.
I think it is a bit unfair to use Brezinski, who has been out of power for over a decade, to gauge current policy. Even considering his idiotic views never were enacted when he was in a state position. I think this is akin to taking the statements of the right-wing Russian whackos and concluding that Putin wants to conquer all of Europe for his vision of Greater Russia.
Sure, sure, Obama is simply a incompetent buffoon and this doesn't at all look like a conscious assault om known Moscow/China client states (both Libya and Syria were very closely tied to Moscow, and the PRC was also making inroads there).
If this were a conscious assault on known client states, why did they not remove Sudan while they are at it? Plenty of oil, less of an army and easily justified with genocide. I think you are seeing coincidences and thinking they are part of a giant master plan.

BTW, know who also collaborated in the downfall of Ghaddafi? Syria. Assad made a deal with the French and USA - no direct attack to support the rebels - and in turn gave them Ghaddafi's cell, which enabled the rebels to track and capture them.

Is Assad now a part of the giant plan?
Because it demonstrates the possibility of gang-controlled pumps giving out enough oil?
Doesn't mean shit if you can't refine it, transport it or ship it. Besides, there is no evidence this capacity is reached.
Saddam was an unpredictable ruler in control of the resources of Iraq.
On the contrary, Saddam was very predictable, certainly more predictable than any political faction operating in Iraq now.
But did I say the goal was simply 'cheap oil'? It was much more that that: keeping the region disunited.
LOL, as if Saddam would have been the guy to unite the arab world. What, was Assad suddenly going to keel over and give all to Saddam in his will? Was Iran suddenly becoming Sunni? Were Egypt and Jordan to unite with Iraq? No way.
With American forces placed right in the middle of it, foreign domination was surely out of the question. Saddam could've went to other nations to make a military coalition, maybe even the same ones that Syria went to (the US would not want this to happen, that much is clear). And the rise of islamists through the silent but continous sponsorship of such radical islamist patrons as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Qatar was pre-ordained - one had to be blind to fund these nations for decades and not expect a huge increase in islamist activity. But if a 'more pronounced islamic identity' is indeed a long-standing goal, then the activity is very much understandable, even if it produces unwelcome byproducts such as movements and regimes too radical even for the US to stomach.
This is pretty much nonsense. The arab unity threat has been raised as a spector but never amounted to much. If Nasser could not do it, Saddam certainly could not.

So in essence, you are saying that the mere threat of a 0.1% scenario was enough to get the US to conclude that they have to fulfill a strategy over several decades to bolster radical Islam? Pull the other one. If that were the case then the muslim brothers would not have been ousted in Egypt or persecuted for decades, they would not have moved against Sadr in Iraq and they would not have moved against the Taliban.

This is insane.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Nevertheless, your language is imprecise. When people say the west they mean Europe + USA + Canada, not just USA + one or two European states.
I know. I already said that 'the West' was a bad term. Better say the people who can command Western military interventions. Because those are inevitably a form of coalition, even if some nations decline to participate.
Thanas wrote:I think it is a bit unfair to use Brezinski, who has been out of power for over a decade, to gauge current policy. Even considering his idiotic views never were enacted when he was in a state position. I think this is akin to taking the statements of the right-wing Russian whackos and concluding that Putin wants to conquer all of Europe for his vision of Greater Russia.
The 'right-wing Russian whackos' (though not sure who exactly you refer to) correctly predicted the strategy of recollecting Russian lands (through unions, like the customs union, Eurasian union) or direct annexation of territories like Crimea. Right-wing lunatics way more bloodthirsty than even old Zbigniew correctly predicted that Bush will commit to war in Iraq. Ledeen, etc. - the ones that said the USA is a force for revolution in the Middle East. Forgive me if their lunatic predictions were more spot-on than the sensible careful sayings of realpolitik fans.
Thanas wrote:If this were a conscious assault on known client states, why did they not remove Sudan while they are at it?
You must have forgotten that the separation of South Sudan happened just recently, and South Sudan holds like 80% of the region's oil production.
Thanas wrote:BTW, know who also collaborated in the downfall of Ghaddafi? Syria. Assad made a deal with the French and USA - no direct attack to support the rebels - and in turn gave them Ghaddafi's cell, which enabled the rebels to track and capture them. Is Assad now a part of the giant plan?
Assad sold Gaddafi out willing to score points with the Big Brother, but so what? How is this relevant to the facts at hand?
Thanas wrote:On the contrary, Saddam was very predictable, certainly more predictable than any political faction operating in Iraq now.
That was not how Saddam was perceived in the US of A. And not how the media hysteria painted him. And not how the CIA advisors saw him.
Thanas wrote:LOL, as if Saddam would have been the guy to unite the arab world. What, was Assad suddenly going to keel over and give all to Saddam in his will? Was Iran suddenly becoming Sunni? Were Egypt and Jordan to unite with Iraq? No way.
There are many ways a region can become more united: mutual trade. Coalitions grand and small.
Thanas wrote:This is pretty much nonsense. The arab unity threat has been raised as a spector but never amounted to much. If Nasser could not do it, Saddam certainly could not.
Perhaps so, but the US politicians hate Nasser and his legacy just as much.
Thanas wrote:So in essence, you are saying that the mere threat of a 0.1% scenario was enough to get the US to conclude that they have to fulfill a strategy over several decades to bolster radical Islam? Pull the other one. If that were the case then the muslim brothers would not have been ousted in Egypt or persecuted for decades, they would not have moved against Sadr in Iraq and they would not have moved against the Taliban. This is insane.
I am not saying they are going to tolerate any type of radical islamist in power (besides, they moved against Afghanistan only after 9/11 - you don't think that's a factor which they could not ignore, eh?). I am saying that they consciously and willingly sponsored openly genocidal or terrorist-funding islamist regimes like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Pakistan. Not just accidentally, but for decades. Establishing 'strategic relationships' with some of these regimes.

You cannot seriously ignore this - the US support for Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Qatar does not change for decades, even though presidents change. And you could not be really that dumb as to think they cannot realize what the consequences are.

Assalti Frontali
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Stas, you are seriously cherry-picking events which "fit" your insane conspiracy, and ignoring everything that doesn't fit, like all the times the US backed secular dictators, invested billions in Iraqi infrastructure, or fought against radical Islamic regimes (Taliban, etc.)

This is textbook conspiracy-theorist behavior:

(1) Start with a pre-ordained conclusion based on a cynical motive
(2) Cherry-pick events which fit that motive
(3) Ignore anything to the contrary, or say it was actually all PART OF THE PLAN!™

Perhaps living in the former-USSR has inclined you to discern more purposeful long-term actions by large, powerful governments. In America, we're used to incompetent governments with short-term thinking, and the actions of America reflect that. American foreign policy is bumbling, filled with unintended consequences (blowback), and unfinished/half-assed ventures (Vietnam, Iraq, Obamacare, etc.). American politicians cater to the American public, and the American public is stupid (we almost voted in Sarah Palin for fuck's sake!) and has an attention span of like 3 seconds. Most politicians have no vision beyond their elected term, and spend most of their time thinking about getting re-elected. Even when someone like Bush comes along with some "grand vision", he's unable to pull it off competently, and his administration is replaced and his plans are forgotten/ignored.
Last edited by Channel72 on 2014-08-16 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So again, why strategic relationships are established with Pakistan (a nation known to sponsor the most radical islamist organizations and one of the direct architects of Afghanistan's fall to islamism, also well-known for the massive 2+ million genocide in Bangladesh), Saudi Arabia (nation with death penalty for Sharia 'crimes' like sex with the wrong person, nation known to sponsor the most radical islamist organizations and one of the funders of ISIS, Taliban and Chechen extremists)?

These are not some short-term relationships. They continue for a long time. Explain that to me.

And pay attention: I am not saying that all US actions are favoring islamists. They did want islamism to be stronger (that goal arose somewhere in the 1970s, it was nicely tied with both anti-Sovietism (and combatting Russian/Chinese influence), but also good as an independent goal, because it keeps the region disunited. But when the islamists directly attack them (Taliban), it is too much and there's no option but to attack.

Assalti Frontali