In which gun-owners behave like spoiled children

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Re: In which gun-owners behave like spoiled children

Post by Lagmonster »

Edi wrote:I wonder what they would make of, say, about a dozen black men dressed like stereotypical gangstas going for a walk in their neighborhoods openly carrying long guns. Or a group of Middle Eastern looking men wearing clothing typical of the region and carrying guns. My guess is that at best it would lead to a tense standoff, but more likely than that there would be shots fired as they shit their pants about being attacked by criminals and terrorists.
This is an amazingly interesting concept, and I'm surprised nobody picked up on it. Imagine indeed replacing the Open Carry Texas rednecks with Iraqi-Americans, dressed in traditional garb, toting AKs in public. Despite nothing about what they're doing being illegal near as I know, I wonder how much of "walking freely around in public with guns" is a white man privilege in America.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

General Zod wrote:
Metahive wrote:I didn't mean that they would steal the guns at the bar, just that they would find out where they could get them. An OCT member also probably has more than one gun, so even more incentive to pay a visit to that home while the guy is proudly parading part of his collection in public.
Most guns on the US black market are taken from legal gun owners after all.
According to this source, most criminals get them from friends and family. The second biggest majority get them illegally, but I'd wager most of the people who commit crimes with the gun don't actually steal the guns themselves.
Well, as I said, black market and the percentages are almost even. Although I think some of that illegal acquisition might be straw sales and the like.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Metahive wrote:
According to this source, most criminals get them from friends and family. The second biggest majority get them illegally, but I'd wager most of the people who commit crimes with the gun don't actually steal the guns themselves.
Well, as I said, black market and the percentages are almost even. Although I think some of that illegal acquisition might be straw sales and the like.
That link doesn't seem to coincide with what I've read.
"Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal.
Now, the key point is when we go from "stolen" to "used in a crime" and how we count that as part of the statistics.

But a gun is rarely stolen then used to commit crimes by that particular thief. One issue is that guns aren't cheap, especially those legally owned. Sure, some people have Ruger 9mms, .38 specials, and other such guns, but those are easy to get without resorting to theft. You're also holding onto evidence that links you to a previous crime.

So, you steal an expensive AR-15 (or whatever) that's worth $1500+ retail. You are going to use it to commit a crime and will likely need to dump it after the fact. How much could you instead just sell your stolen AR-15 for and pick-up a much cheaper and easier to dump .38 special to commit said crime with?
Lagmonster wrote:This is an amazingly interesting concept, and I'm surprised nobody picked up on it. Imagine indeed replacing the Open Carry Texas rednecks with Iraqi-Americans, dressed in traditional garb, toting AKs in public. Despite nothing about what they're doing being illegal near as I know, I wonder how much of "walking freely around in public with guns" is a white man privilege in America.
In Texas? Probably a pretty fucking big one. Hispanics couldn't get away with it either, even in predominately Hispanic areas.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

In Australia, the last time someone walked into a restaurant with an AR-15 it ended very fucking badly. As a result, you can't get weapons like that anymore. At all. It is not a statistical anomaly that there hasn't been a repeat occurrence in the eighteen years since.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Meanwhile, the NRA today both called OC activists weird and counterproductive and then apologized for calling them weird.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

It's a rocky political landscape.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

tim31 wrote:It's a rocky political landscape.

Even worse when I click on a link about these guys and within the first 5 responses are retards speculating that it's a False Flag operation by Bloomberg & Co. Half the households in the coutnry have a firearm in them. If 1% of them are the sort of people who think that this sort of activism is reasonable, we're hitting many more than the number of people who are actually out there doing it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Lonestar wrote:
tim31 wrote:It's a rocky political landscape.

Even worse when I click on a link about these guys and within the first 5 responses are retards speculating that it's a False Flag operation by Bloomberg & Co. Half the households in the coutnry have a firearm in them. If 1% of them are the sort of people who think that this sort of activism is reasonable, we're hitting many more than the number of people who are actually out there doing it.
Actually, households with a gun have dropped. It's fallen to a third. NYT Interestingly, there's some signs that those who do have guns are merely owning more.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

SirNitram wrote: Actually, households with a gun have dropped. It's fallen to a third. NYT Interestingly, there's some signs that those who do have guns are merely owning more.

Gallup disagrees.

Anecdotally, it does seem as if the ranges have been getting busier the last few years, and I know a few people who weren't gun owners but became gun owners ahead of the anticipated AWB last spring.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The fact that gun range business is up is in spite of ammunition and gun prices being up too. I greatly cut down my range time personally. I can't afford to just stop in (I live a blockish away, walking distance) every weekend which was my habit.

I also seriously contemplated a rifle purchase last year based on the AWB nonsense.