Ship trapped in Antarctic, Right responds LOL Global Warming

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ship trapped in Antarctic, Right responds LOL Global Warming

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Heard about this a while back, and then heard a recent update that the rescue attempt failed after the Icebreaker has also been trapped in Ice.

(CNN) -- South Pole weather has stymied a rescue by a Chinese icebreaker trying to reach an expedition vessel trapped for the past four days in frozen seas, a ship officer told CNN Friday.
The Chinese icebreaker Xue Long, or Snow Dragon, was just six nautical miles away from the rescue, but now it's stuck in an Antarctica ice floe, too.
The Chinese crew is hoping a French icebreaker 14 nautical miles away will arrive and offer relief, said Zhu Li, chief officer of the Chinese ship.
But it's likely the French vessel Astrolabe will also be slowed by the polar cap's extreme frigidity, Zhu said.
Those two icebreakers -- plus a third, from Australia -- were battling the planet's coldest environment in trying to reach the stranded Russian ship MV Akademik Shokalskiy, whose 74 researchers, crew and tourists remained in good condition despite being at a frozen standstill since Monday.
Antarctic crew amazed by viral fame
It all shows that some lands -- especially the ends of the Earth -- will never be tamed.
Morale high on ship stuck off Antarctica Ships headed to ice-trapped vessel
The Snow Dragon is in near-constant communication with the Russian exploration vessel and has ample supplies of water, food and medicine -- even a helicopter -- if the ice-bound Shokalskiy needed them, Zhu said.
The Russian expedition ship is carrying scientists and passengers led by an Australian climate change professor, but they all may have to wait two more days for one or all three icebreakers to free it, said Capt. Wang Jiangzhong of the Snow Dragon.
"Right now we are waiting for winds to blow ice away so we can move closer," Wang told CNN. "The current ice condition is exceeding our capabilities to break through further."
The captain also acknowledged his ship may need help from the other icebreakers headed to the area if conditions deteriorate.
"We are in continual communication with the (stranded) ship," he said in a satellite phone call with CNN. "I think it's at least a form of emotional relief for them to know we are nearby to help. We know that they (passengers) are all doing well on that ship."
The Aurora Australis out of Australia is two days from the Russian ship, its captain, Murray Doyle, told CNN on Friday.
China's State Oceanic Administration said the Xue Long sailed through an intense cyclone to reach the Akademik Shokalskiy sooner.
Meanwhile, spirits were high Friday aboard the Akademik Shokalskiy.
"The vessel is fine, it's safe and everyone on board is very well," expedition leader Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at University of New South Wales in Australia told CNN. "Morale is really high."
It got stuck in the ice on Monday night -- 15 days after setting out on the second leg of its research trip.
According to Turney, the ship was surrounded by ice up to nearly 10 feet (3 meters) thick some 100 nautical miles east of the French base Dumont D'Urville, about 1,500 nautical miles south of Hobart, Tasmania.
On Christmas morning, the ship sent a satellite distress signal after conditions failed to clear.
The crew had a "great Christmas" despite their situation, Turney told CNN earlier. He said crew members have used the delay to get more work done.
"We've just kept the team busy," he said.
The expedition is trying to update scientific measurements taken by an Australian expedition led by Douglas Mawson that set out in 1911.
The expedition to gauge the effects of climate change on the region began November 27. The second, and current leg of the trip, started December 8 and was scheduled to conclude with a return to New Zealand on January 4.
Turney said the ship should still be back in New Zealand on time.
While it is nice to know the crew and those on board have plenty of provisions, it is still scary to be trapped down there by any means, and the sooner they break out the better.
Which... makes the oh so predictable response by Right Wing pundits all the more gulling.
While searching for more updates, I cam across THIS "news" story from a Right Wing Blog "The Gate Way Pundit.
The comments posted are enough to want to make me grab these people and see how they like being stuck in the Antarctic for several weeks,
A few choice responses? Well...
It is beginning to get very scary that none of these global warmists will admit they are wrong. As with most Liberals they go on as if no one ever said anything. Facts mean nothing to them. Can't anyone actually say to them, "You are wrong"? Most of us shake our heads and wonder if they have forgotten to take their meds. I am beginning to think that we are going to need more than this.
The shear Irony of climate scientists being trapped by Ice in the Antarctic in the summer is feeding my Schadenfuede immensely .
How is the global warming for them? Stuck in record breaking ice build ups that even ice breakers can't get through without getting stuck? Tough luck.
They don't need rescue, global warming's going to melt all the ice.... Oh wait...
Bunch of insensitive fucktards...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Ship trapped in Antarctic, Right responds LOL Global War

Post by Grumman »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Bunch of insensitive fucktards...
Insensitive? They're delayed, not dead. You don't have to be a climate change denier to see the comedy in an icebreaker getting stuck in ice and needing more icebreakers to come rescue it.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I thought the ship stuck was the Russian ship crewed by an Australian crew. The Chinese icebreaker tried to free them but couldn't cut through all the ice. AFAIK the icebreaker wasn't stuck in the sense that it could still depart, but would fail to free the Russian ship. At the moment 2 other icebreakers, a French and an Australian one are coming to render assistance.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Grumman wrote:
Insensitive? They're delayed, not dead. You don't have to be a climate change denier to see the comedy in an icebreaker getting stuck in ice and needing more icebreakers to come rescue it.
But you have to be a massive idiot to see it as some sort of proof against climate change.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Honestly, I think the term "Global Warming" is the enemy of people trying to argue the case for global climate destabilization.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

General Schatten wrote:Honestly, I think the term "Global Warming" is the enemy of people trying to argue the case for global climate destabilization.
That has been said for some time.. It was a very poor choice of words and an over simplification of what is going on.
Sadly the Right Wing has latched onto "Global Warming" even as progressives mostly use "Climate change" these days.

Basically ANY time there is any sort of above average snow fall or cold front, the far right go "Hur Hur Global Warming!"
Meanwhile, during the summer, when much of the US is in the worst drought of decades and people are dying in the east coast of heat exhaustion, you never hear a peep during those events.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Given that Akademik Shokalskiy has only 2 x 1147 kw engines no wonder it got stuck. What were they thinking when they went into ice up to 3 m thick. Only Russian Arctic class icebreakers could break ice that thick without too much difficulty.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

News is now saying that if they can't get the stuck ship freed they'll move to airlifting people out. At least it won't wind up like the Shackleton expedition.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Serafina wrote:
Grumman wrote:
But you have to be a massive idiot to see it as some sort of proof against climate change.
I don't consider them "idiots" so much as they do not want to believe that we can be destroying our world.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Kitsune wrote:
I don't consider them "idiots" so much as they do not want to believe that we can be destroying our world.
So, in other words, idiots.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Broomstick wrote:News is now saying that if they can't get the stuck ship freed they'll move to airlifting people out. At least it won't wind up like the Shackleton expedition.
Watching "Secrets of the Dead" about the Scott expedition. There is also a talk on YouTube by Susan Solomon called "The Coldest March"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LoWsLqcizA&noredirect=1
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Who cares what the radical right thinks. They're becoming ridiculously irrelevant.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Update. Apparently even the Australian icebreaker is having a problem getting to the Russian ship.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25585006

Chinese one might be stuck...
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

If people's lives weren't in jeopardy this would be hilarious... not gonna lie; little bit of mirth is festering in me right now.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, there is some risk, but no one is likely to die... all those ships have substantial supplies of food and fuel and it being summer down there aircraft can get to them. It's one of those weird situations that aren't an immediate emergency but is still quite serious.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Someone tell those retards also had over here we had the hottest day in January since the first time of recording temperature. Coincidence I'm sure.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

wautd wrote:Someone tell those retards also had over here we had the hottest day in January since the first time of recording temperature. Coincidence I'm sure.
Thats what gets to me about these "Global Warming? Hur Hur!" Retards is that they pull this shit ONLY in the winter.
The instant the first snow storm hits the east coast, every year its "What Global Warming?"
However, every time its reported that some place had "The Hottest Summer on Record, for the third straight year!" or that northern places are getting their snow later each year... Well, funny how they never seem to want to comment on those things.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well if it doesn't help them live in blind ignorance, they dismiss out outright or don't even think about it. Same kind of thought process with fundies - and I imagine there's a significant overlap between the two groups.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Phillip Hone
Padawan Learner

Post by Phillip Hone »

To be fair, people who believe in climate change tend to make similar assertions based on anecdotes. For instance, it's extra warm one day in October = "how can anyone deny global warming???" That said, that side of the debate does at least have the backing of legitimate science, but I still wouldn't say that the deniers have a monopoly on pseudo-scientific gawking.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to post this:

http://www.unh.edu/news/releases/2013/j ... limate.cfm
Climate Change Beliefs of Independent Voters Shift with the Weather, UNH Study Finds

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thing about Global Warming is that it's not really all about warming. While yeah most areas will get warmer, some will get wetter, some will have more extreme temperature swings (hotter in summer, colder in winter), etc...

So I think it should be worrying when ANY weather pattern sets records time and time again...not just heat.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

This is why I now say "climate change" instead of "global warming", the former term is more accurate.

Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Yeah, I read somewhere that scientists wish they called it "climate chaos" rather then warming even though the overall trend is the world getting warmer.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Mongoose wrote:To be fair, people who believe in climate change tend to make similar assertions based on anecdotes. For instance, it's extra warm one day in October = "how can anyone deny global warming???"
Anecdotes.

I remember in 1995, we had a winter (with snow and all) lasting four months. That was exception, but still, in 90s snow lasted good 2-3 months on average. This winter, snow lasted grand total of 5 days so far. I think we even have grass starting to grow up, right in the middle of what used to be blizzard season. And it's not even first or second snow-less Christmas/New Year week, far from it.

The right wingers can grasp at anecdotes, as it's the only thing they have left, the other side can point to real trends.