Uganda new "Imprison the Gay for lif" bill passes

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Uganda new "Imprison the Gay for lif" bill passes

Post by Kitsune »

Thought I should post this
http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/ ... index.html
The Bill, which was unanimously passed, will become law after the President assents to it.

You engage in homosexuality, you rot in jail, according to the Anti-Homosexuality Bill passed by Parliament on Friday.

An excited Parliament debated and overwhelmingly passed the Bill which criminalises sexual intercourse between same-sex partners.

The legislation provides for a sentence of life imprisonment for anyone convicted of homosexuality, which covers gays and lesbians. A proposal to put the punishment to 14 years in jail was rejected by the House.

According to the new law, a person commits homosexuality if he penetrates the anus or mouth of another person of the same sex with his penis or any other sexual device.

The offence is also deemed to have been committed if he or she uses any object or sex device to penetrate or stimulate sexual organs of a person of the same sex or if he or she touches another person with intent to commit the act of homosexuality.

“A person who commits an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for life,” the passed Bill reads in part.

The MPs say legislation is to protect the traditional family setting by prohibiting sexual relations by persons of the same sex and to strengthen the nation’s capacity to check emerging threats to traditional family values.

However, the law was passed without quorum despite Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi’s plea that Parliament was not sufficiently constituted to vote on the Bill.

Quorum queries
“The issue of quorum cannot be overlooked. I have raised the issue of quorum. You can’t continue voting on this Bill when the issue of quorum has been raised,” Mr Mbabazi said but was disregarded by the Speaker and MPs.

According to Parliament rules of procedure, if a member raises the quorum issue during a vote, the Speaker is supposed to ascertain whether the House has the quorum to vote on the subject.

Rules 23(3) states: “At any time when a vote is to be taken, the Speaker shall ascertain whether the members present in the House form a quorum for the vote to be taken. If he or she finds that the number is less, the Speaker shall suspend the proceedings for the House for an interval of fifteen minutes, and the bell shall be rang.”

The Bill was introduced in Parliament on October 31, 2011 and its supporters argued yesterday that Ugandans had waited too long for it to be passed.

“Today is going to be a very good determinant for Ugandans. They have been anxiously waiting and I remember last year we promised them that it will be passed before the year ended. But that did not happen,” Mr Benson Obua (UPC Moroto) said at the beginning of the debate.

However, West Budama MP Fox Odoi vowed to challenge the law in court, arguing it violates human rights.

In their minority report on the Bill, Mr Odoi and three colleagues had argued that homosexuality is already outlawed under sections 145 to 150 of the Penal Code Act.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Uganda new "Imprison the Gay for lif" bill passes

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I wish this was getting more attention than that retarded Duck Dynasty bullshit.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:I wish this was getting more attention than that retarded Duck Dynasty bullshit.
Look the important thing here is that my favorite show might be cancelled!*

*I hadn't actually heard of Duck Dynasty until this whole uproar started. Sarcasm should be obvious.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I saw "Duck Dynasty" merchandise for sale but that is about it. . . .
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I've seen a few Duck Dynasty episodes but reality TV isn't really my thing.

That being said, I wonder what the chances are the Congress will block aid to Uganda (or at least cut it a bit).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Let's see... Uganda.... they have a per capita GDP of about $600 USD, and almost 40% of the population makes less than $1.25 a day, and about 57% of the population is HIV positive.

Yeah... this anti-homosexuality law is probably not exactly unexpected. Maybe we should focus on getting some actual basic infrastructure in this country before we worry about homosexual rights.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Is it really going to do any good to imprison all the gays and blame them for their woes especially when US evangelists are at least partially to blame.
Thomas Paine

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Channel72 wrote:Let's see... Uganda.... they have a per capita GDP of about $600 USD, and almost 40% of the population makes less than $1.25 a day, and about 57% of the population is HIV positive.

Yeah... this anti-homosexuality law is probably not exactly unexpected. Maybe we should focus on getting some actual basic infrastructure in this country before we worry about homosexual rights.

This bill was initiated and promoted by US politicians and american fundamentalist groups capitalizing on their missionary/humanitarian aid work. It would not exist if not for that.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

If I recall back when the story first broke, the "incident" evidently involved the US Politicians at a meeting and idly going on about "Dem dirty queers" and how if they had things THEIR way they'd lock them all up and throw away the key!
To which the Ugandan leaders in the room went "Thats a GREAT idea, we'll get right on that!"

Back at the time, when the US Media reported on the story (for the handful of days they did at least) those involved were shocked SHOCKED that anyone took their "suggestions" seriously, and said how deplorable it was that someone could put forward such an un-democractic law!

Of course none of them lifted a finger to stop it, and I strongly suspect were giving each other high-fives in private over the law.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Oh, and just for sources...
Some news articles talking directly about the US Links to the bill, and a few names of those involved and who supported it:
NY Times
RIght Wing Watch
Religion Dispatches
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Channel72 wrote:Let's see... Uganda.... they have a per capita GDP of about $600 USD, and almost 40% of the population makes less than $1.25 a day, and about 57% of the population is HIV positive.

This bill was initiated and promoted by US politicians and american fundamentalist groups capitalizing on their missionary/humanitarian aid work. It would not exist if not for that.
I see.

Well, it's a sad fact that the majority of non-governmental humanitarian work going on in third world regions is organized and funded by Western/MIddle-Eastern religious organizations, mostly Christian and Muslim. The fact that they actually do a lot of good work in terms of developing education and infrastructure in Africa shields them from a lot of criticism, I suppose.

Really, this again highlights the fact that one of the biggest failures of the secular/humanist/atheist movement in general is their inability to compete with religious organizations with regard to charity and poverty relief. Religious organizations enjoy a lot of "moral high ground" because of this, which enables them to get away with shit like this in Uganda.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Are we really supposed to blame some "atheist movement"? There are simply more Christians around in the US, which instantly provides Christian charities with a larger base for money and manpower. If it was something like 40% atheist, 50% Christian and 10% for the rest then you might have a point.

The positive side is that if this is the biggest fault of the atheists, then we're practically saints.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Channel72 wrote:Well, it's a sad fact that the majority of non-governmental humanitarian work going on in third world regions is organized and funded by Western/MIddle-Eastern religious organizations, mostly Christian and Muslim. The fact that they actually do a lot of good work in terms of developing education and infrastructure in Africa shields them from a lot of criticism, I suppose.

Really, this again highlights the fact that one of the biggest failures of the secular/humanist/atheist movement in general is their inability to compete with religious organizations with regard to charity and poverty relief. Religious organizations enjoy a lot of "moral high ground" because of this, which enables them to get away with shit like this in Uganda.
How do aethists start taking over this roll when any charity we run would be distrusted? Plus, we'd be competing with long established churches with built in sources of funding. I'm all for secular replacements for religion, I just don't see what the best way to get it going is.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

One start would be not branding yourselves as atheists if you feel that will lead to distrust. Frankly, the religious beliefs of those working for a charity should be irrelevant, simply branding yourself as a charity for cause X should be enough. After all, the charity is a secular organization not affiliated with any religion or religious beliefs. The goal should be to be a secular charity, not an atheist charity. This would also have the benefits of not driving away any theists interested in the charity*.

Note*: Providing such a thing bothered them in the first place.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yes brilliant thinking! Because they are poor human rights don't apply and we shouldn't care, let those dirt people do what they want because they don't know any better! And ah, since they have so little money they ought to spend more of it putting gays in prison! Genius! This won't help facilitate pogroms and murder at all!

In any case, at least a slight hope exists that the president will not actually sign the bill precisely because the country will loose at least some of its foreign aid and chances for foreign investment, as it should.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

Yes brilliant thinking! Because they are poor human rights don't apply and we shouldn't care, let those dirt people do what they want because they don't know any better! And ah, since they have so little money they ought to spend more of it putting gays in prison! Genius! This won't help facilitate pogroms and murder at all!.
You are just too fucking insightful. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I was trying to explain to everyone how poor "dirt" people don't count. Because seriously, I hate poor people. :roll:
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Channel72 wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:

Yes brilliant thinking! Because they are poor human rights don't apply and we shouldn't care, let those dirt people do what they want because they don't know any better! And ah, since they have so little money they ought to spend more of it putting gays in prison! Genius! This won't help facilitate pogroms and murder at all!.
You are just too fucking insightful. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I was trying to explain to everyone how poor "dirt" people don't count. Because seriously, I hate poor people. :roll:
So you're saying we shouldn't do more than one thing at at a time to help them because . . . uh. Why again?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

General Zod wrote:So you're saying we shouldn't do more than one thing at at a time to help them because . . . uh. Why again?
Are you personally going to do anything about this, or are you just wasting my time with academic exercises?

They fucking execute people for homosexuality in Iran and other places, so all things considered this Uganda law isn't particularly surprising. The fact that American evangelicals are mostly to blame makes this particular case obnoxious, but let's be brutally honest: gay rights are usually last on the list of "shit that a civilized society needs to have" after (1) clean water, (2) basic infrastructure, (3) basic education, (4) basic access to medical care, and (5) a bit less than 60% of a population that's HIV positive and isn't constantly being tortured, abused and harassed by the LRA and government security forces, alright?

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to personally try to help out Uganda with my own limited resources, I'm not donating to the gay rights foundation. I'd rather help them get some basic fucking infrastructure, clean water, and get rid of the fucking LRA and their child-soldier/sex-slave practices first. Then we can deal with social issues.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Channel72 wrote:
General Zod wrote:So you're saying we shouldn't do more than one thing at at a time to help them because . . . uh. Why again?
Are you personally going to do anything about this, or are you just wasting my time with academic exercises?

They fucking execute people for homosexuality in Iran and other places, so all things considered this Uganda law isn't particularly surprising. The fact that American evangelicals are mostly to blame makes this particular case obnoxious, but let's be brutally honest: gay rights are usually last on the list of "shit that a civilized society needs to have" after (1) clean water, (2) basic infrastructure, (3) basic education, (4) basic access to medical care, and (5) a bit less than 60% of a population that's HIV positive and isn't constantly being tortured, abused and harassed by the LRA and government security forces, alright?

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to personally try to help out Uganda with my own limited resources, I'm not donating to the gay rights foundation. I'd rather help them get some basic fucking infrastructure, clean water, and get rid of the fucking LRA and their child-soldier/sex-slave practices first. Then we can deal with social issues.

It sounds to me like you're just cherry picking the social issues you want to fix and coming up with rationalizations to justify it. Child-slaves aren't a social issue but a law that gives the government carte blanche to execute anyone they don't like is? I don't get that logic.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Well, clean water and basic medicine are probably a higher hit than social issues. Hierarchy of needs and all that.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Slacker wrote:Well, clean water and basic medicine are probably a higher hit than social issues. Hierarchy of needs and all that.
I'm failing to see why this is an either/or scenario.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It isn't, in fact this will only take away funds from actual needs and divert them to imprisoning people for the way they naturally are and make things worse. Since money is in fact finite, this is Uganda working against itself no matter how you slice it. Doing nothing costs nothing, and doing nothing would be ideal.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Nigeria has begun arresting gays as well
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/38-g ... eria140114
38 gay men arrested in Nigeria, 130 more to go
Human rights activists claim police have a list of 168 gay men in northern Nigeria and will arrest every last one
14 January 2014 | By Joe Morgan
President Goodluck Jonathan signed the 'Jail All The Gays' bill forcing the arrest of 38 gay men.

Dozens of gay men are being arrested in northern Nigeria, human rights activists have said.

The police have allegedly drawn up a list of 168 wanted gay men. 38 have been arrested in recent weeks.

They say persecution will increase since the law was signed by President Goodluck Jonathan signed the ‘Jail All The Gays’ bill.

The legislation bans same-sex marriage, criminalizes gay clubs and associations, and sets up prison terms of up to 14 years.

Openly gay people risk being imprisoned whether or not they have sex.

Anybody who knows somebody who is gay will have to tell the authorities or go to jail for five years.

Out of the 38, 11 men have been arrested in the last two weeks and charged with belonging to a gay organization.

Police have said all of them have signed confessions they belong to the group but some retracted their statements when they were charged by a judge.

Dorothy Aken’Ova is executive director of Nigeria’s International Center for Reproductive Health and Sexual Rights.

She told the AP the new law will endanger and even criminalize programs fighting HIV-AIDS in the gay community.

In Bauchi state, police entrapped four gay men and tortured them into naming others, Aken'Ova said.

She said the arrests began during the Christmas holidays and blamed 'all the noise that was going on surrounding the (Same Sex Marriage Prohibition) bill.'

Jonathan’s spokesman Reuben Abati confirmed the president signed the bill into law yesterday (13 January).

He said: ‘More than 90% of Nigerians are opposed to same-sex marriage. So, the law is in line with our cultural and religious beliefs as a people.’
Thomas Paine

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm predicting a wave of witch-hunting; under this law it's stupidly easy to falsely accuse someone of homosexuality.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, this law is completely backwards and does nothing but give bigots free rain. I suspect this is at least partially (y'know, besides them being bigots) why the law was passed in the first place - if you fail at everything you need somehting to placate the mob with and having them hunt for the evil dirty gay menace (tm) gives them one more excuse not to fix things that matter.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs