Keep guns out of Zimmerman's hands

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Keep guns out of Zimmerman's hands

Post by Kitsune »

He did it again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24995459
18 November 2013 Last updated at 17:44 ET

George Zimmerman 'pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend'
A booking image of George Zimmerman taken on 18 November 2013 Zimmerman was confined to a single-person cell for "high-profile" defendants

A Florida man acquitted of murder in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager has been arrested on charges he pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend.

George Zimmerman, 30, has been jailed in Seminole County, Florida.

Mr Zimmerman was charged with felony aggravated assault, battery, domestic violence and criminal mischief, a sheriff's office spokesman said.

In July, a jury cleared Mr Zimmerman of the February 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin, 17.

Since then, Mr Zimmerman has had other brushes with police, including an incident in October when he was briefly detained following a domestic disturbance at the home of his estranged wife, Shellie.

On Monday, a spokesman for the Seminole County sheriff's department said Mr Zimmerman was arrested on Monday morning and confined to a single-person 64 sq ft (6 sq metre) cell - standard treatment for "high-profile" defendants.

About 12:30 local time (17:30 GMT), sheriff's deputies responded to an emergency call at a house in Apopka, Florida.

Mr Zimmerman's girlfriend said they had argued, and he had broken a glass table in the living room, then retrieved a shotgun and pointed it at her. He then pushed her out the front door and barricaded himself inside, police said.

She was not injured, police said.

The sheriff's office spokesman said investigators believed Mr Zimmerman and his girlfriend had lived together since August and had been arguing about breaking up.

He said Mr Zimmerman was not armed when police arrived and did not resist arrest.

Mr Zimmerman's acquittal of second-degree murder over the killing of Martin sparked a fierce debate about racial profiling and gun culture in the US.

Mr Zimmerman shot dead the teenager, who was unarmed and walking at night toward his father's house. He said the boy had attacked him.

Following the verdict, protest marches were staged across the US including San Francisco, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington and Atlanta.

US President Barack Obama said the incident was a "tragedy" which should prompt national soul-searching.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Keep guns out of Zimmerman's hands

Post by Grumman »

Edit: Sorry, got the estranged girlfriend and the estranged wife mixed up. Disregard.
Last edited by Grumman on 2013-11-19 02:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Grumman wrote:
Kitsune wrote:He did it again
I think it's a bit early to say that. He's accused of doing it again, by the same person who accused him last time.
It was his wife the first time and his girlfriend this time
Technically you are right that he is accused but I am just a bit skeptical of his innocence :?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

You'd think after getting away with what he did the first time, he'd lay low and do his best to keep out of trouble. What a fucking moron.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

He got a taste of fame and he wants more.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

See, I always figured Zimmermann was trigger-happy (and there are a frightening number of guys who are willing to draw a gun as a threat display in a domestic dispute). The problem in the Martin case is that the prosecution had no way to disprove Zimmerman's claim that Martin violently assaulted him with his bare hands... not that Zimmermann acted like a model of restraint or self-control; he didn't.

If Zimmermann is something of a dimwitted thug by nature, which is all too possible in my book, then having gotten exonerated in the Martin case may have simply reinforced a reflex-level belief that he can use firearms to win arguments.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Enigma wrote:He got a taste of fame and he wants more.
More likely he's just another idiot with anger managment issues. Either way, until he commits and gets convicted of a felony he can still legally own firearms.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

So, care to place any bets on how long it takes before this moron decides to draw his weapon on someone else who's armed?
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

He got a taste of infamy, not fame.

I doubt he'll get away with it this time.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

InsaneTD wrote:
He got a taste of infamy, not fame.
Some people either don't recognize or don't care about the difference. 'YAY! I'm on TV!' I give you a depressingly large number of reality TV shows.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

That's the press conference. Zimmerman was unarmed when the police arrived, they have not searched the home but plan to do so after getting the warrants. Other things to note, no witnesses, no injuries, glass table was broken, and door was barricaded. And that's all we know right now. There's no proof yet that a firearm was present or used, or that Zimmerman broke the table. At this point it's pretty much he said she said, and given how badly the media fucked up the last time I'm not inclined to believe anything other than the official police reports.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

If Zimmerman did threaten someone with a gun (note what aerius said above me in his post), then I don't think it's about fame. It's about poor self-control and apallingly lacking firearm safety skills and inability to think one's actions through. I don't think that fame or infamy had anything to do with it.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Mr. Coffee wrote:More likely he's just another idiot with anger managment issues. Either way, until he commits and gets convicted of a felony he can still legally own firearms.

Or restraining order.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Lonestar wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:More likely he's just another idiot with anger managment issues. Either way, until he commits and gets convicted of a felony he can still legally own firearms.

Or restraining order.

That depends on the state and is, iirc, working its way through the courts til it likely ends up in front of the Supreme Court. Some states say it takes a conviction to remove your 2nd Amendment rights to own a firearm, others that the reality that domestic disputes nasty enough to involve police, courts, and restraining orders end up with someone getting gunned down are so common that the safety of life and limb override that right. That's all going off memory from a New York Times article from a year or two ago.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Broken wrote:
That depends on the state

Federal Duder. Check out question 11.h. on the 4473.

I suppose he could buy a gun on armslist or sumshit but he would be in violation of the GCA.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Lonestar wrote:
Broken wrote:
That depends on the state

Federal Duder. Check out question 11.h. on the 4473.

I suppose he could buy a gun on armslist or sumshit but he would be in violation of the GCA.
That looks like it is a form if he's trying to buy new guns, not taking away the guns he already owns (which it sounds like Zimmerman possesses several), which tend to be the problem in these sort of cases. Good if it keeps Zimmerman from acquiring more guns while under a restraining order, but it does nothing with the weapons he would be likely to use if he goes off the deep end.

And I looked up the article, it was about orders of protection to be specific, In Some States, Gun Rights Trump Orders of Protection if anyone is interested.

Interesting and related bit
New York Times wrote:Intimate partner homicides account for nearly half the women killed every year, according to federal statistics. More than half of these women are killed with a firearm. And a significant percentage were likely to have obtained protection orders against their eventual killers. (A 2001 study, published in Criminal Justice Review, of women slain by intimate partners in 10 cities put that number at one in five.)

It was in recognition of these converging realities that Congress included a provision in the 1994 crime bill, over the objections of the N.R.A., that barred most people subject to full protective orders filed by intimate partners from purchasing or possessing firearms. In a nod to the concerns of the gun lobby, the statute excluded most people under temporary orders, on the ground that they had not yet had the opportunity to contest the accusations in court.

The statute, though, is rarely enforced. In 2012, prosecutors nationwide filed fewer than 50 such cases, according to a Times analysis of records from the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, a research center at Syracuse University that collects federal government data.

It has, therefore, largely fallen to a state-by-state patchwork of laws to regulate this issue — or not.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Time for an update

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/geo ... iol/ncGMS/
George Zimmerman's girlfriend recants domestic violence allegations

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. —

Channel 9 has learned George Zimmerman's girlfriend wants the court to lift the no-contact order against him.

Zimmerman was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence last month after his girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, called 911 and said he pointed a gun at her.

In recently obtained court documents Scheibe said that wasn't true, and she was just overwhelmed and tired after their argument.

Zimmerman is free on $9,000 bond on charges of aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief. He has pleaded not guilty.

Scheibe has claimed investigators refused to let her talk to a lawyer. She also said she does not want to press charges against Zimmerman.

A search warrant made public after Zimmerman's arrest shows he had a 12-gauge shotgun, an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and three handguns when he was arrested on Nov. 18 at his girlfriend's house.

Zimmerman was acquitted of murder in July in the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, which happened during a confrontation in the community where Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer.
This is why you wait for the initial media frenzy to settle out, either that or you go straight for the court documents to get to the truth. Maybe, just maybe, Zimmerman isn't the trigger happy dickhead that most of you believe him to be.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Or she described it accurately the first time, and recanted because she doesn't want to be at the center of a media circus with the NRA involved.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Or she staged it to try to get a news orgs interested in paying for her interview fee. See what we can do with no actual evidence?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Yes, exactly. But one can no more get "Zimmerman is not as big a dickhead as you believe" from no evidence than you can "Zimmerman is a violent dickhead."
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

You may never find out the reason she stopped the charges, you'll only know what she says the reason is.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

While I obviously don't know for certain, this is sadly typical in domestic violence. CNN Copy with more details
(CNN) -- George Zimmerman's girlfriend is asking a judge to lift an order that blocks her from seeing him and says she doesn't want charges filed against him.

In a court document obtained by CNN Monday, Samantha Scheibe says she wants a no-contact provision against Zimmerman lifted so the couple can "talk and be together."

"I am not afraid of George in any manner and I want to be with him," she says.

Zimmerman was arrested on November 18 at Scheibe's Apopka, Florida, home after the two had a heated fight. According to a police report about the incident, Scheibe said that after an argument, Zimmerman broke a table with a shotgun and then pointed it at her "for a minute."

But in a signed affidavit filed by Zimmerman's attorney, Jayne Weintraub, Scheibe says Zimmerman "never pointed a gun at or toward my face in a threatening manner" and claims police misinterpreted her.

"I believe that the police misinterpreted me and that I may have misspoken about certain facts in my statement to the police," she said. "I do not feel that the arrest report accurately recounts what happened."

Zimmerman is accused of aggravated assault and misdemeanor counts of domestic violence battery and criminal mischief in the incident. His arraignment is scheduled for January 7.

Search in Zimmerman case turns up weapons, ammunition

He was released on $9,000 bail and has denied the accusations.

Zimmerman's attorney told HLN Monday that Scheibe had reached out to her through a lawyer. The statement, Weintraub said, is a sign that prosecutors should drop the case.

"All I can tell you is that from what I see, I would hope that the State Attorney's Office takes pause, takes a step back, exercises its discretion and declines prosecution," she said.

A judge last month ordered a number of conditions for Zimmerman's freedom -- including that he not possess weapons.

"I do not want George Zimmerman charged," Scheibe wrote. "I make this decision freely, knowingly and voluntarily, without any intimidation or undue influences."

Lynne Bumpus Hooper, a spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office, said prosecutors haven't decided yet whether to file charges in the case.

No hearing has been scheduled on the motion to modify the conditions of pretrial release, she said.

The November incident came four months after Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain, was acquitted of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in the death of teenager Trayvon Martin.

The high-profile case sparked a heated nationwide discussion of race as well as debate over Florida's "stand your ground" law.

His attorney says that's another reason prosecutors should reconsider the November case.

"Because of who he is, he's walking around with a target on his back," Weintraub told HLN.

Zimmerman charged with felony after allegedly pointing a gun at girlfriend

Differing 911 calls

On a 911 call recording released by police after the November 18 incident, a woman can be heard telling authorities: "He's inside my house breaking all my (things) because I asked him to leave."

The woman then says to someone at the house, "I'm doing this again? You just broke my glass table. You just broke my sunglasses and you put your gun in my freaking face and told me to get the (expletive) out."

A man is heard telling her to calm down, but then she tells the dispatcher that the man just pushed her out of the house and locked the door.

Police also released a 911 call from Zimmerman describing the dispute.

In his 911 call, Zimmerman says that his girlfriend was, "for lack of a better term, going crazy on me" and throwing his things out. He says the woman is outside with police.

Asked why he is calling, Zimmerman says, "I just want everyone to know the truth."

He says he never pulled a firearm and that it is in a bag, locked. And he says she was the one who broke the table.

"He did not point the gun at her or threaten her with it," Weintraub told HLN on Monday.

Scheibe: Police intimidated me

In the court document filed this week, Scheibe accuses police of pressuring her.

"When I was being questioned by police, I felt very intimidated," she said. "I was not allowed to call an attorney nor was I allowed to eat or drink anything for a very long time."

Heather Smith, a spokeswoman for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, denied that claim.

"As you know, we provided media with the 911 call from Ms. Scheibe, which occurred prior to deputies responding," she said. "Apparently, Ms. Scheibe may have misspoken about the facts of her interview as she had access to her phone and was provided with food."

Analysts: 'We see this every day'

Statements like Scheibe's are all too common in domestic violence cases, legal analysts said.

"Unfortunately, we see this every day," HLN contributor Jon Lieberman told CNN's sister network. "Victims get scared and they don't want to go forward."

Wendy Murphy, a former prosecutor, told HLN she doesn't believe a judge should allow the couple to have contact.

"The reason a no-contact order is not under a victim's control is because it's a decision of the court to protect the integrity of the prosecution," she said. "This is the government's case. It's not her case."
I am Suspicious about Zimmerman's lawyer being the one doing this. But like I said: Domestic abuse case acting like Domestic Abuse case.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Bottom line is that once again, no one can prove what happened unless there's some key evidence buried in a report somewhere that's not available to us right now. Based on what's known to the public right now, trying to get charges to stick ain't gonna happen unless the judge & jury are bought off. All we have to go on right now are statements by both parties, and the woman has recanted for whatever reason.

Maybe she lied in her initial statement. Maybe her counsel advised her that she doesn't have a case and will just end up broke. Maybe the NRA took out a hit on her. She, and presumably her counsel are the only one(s) who know the real reason, and they ain't talking. We don't know, they ain't talking, end of story.

As for Zimmerman, he should just disappear. Change his name, get the fuck out of Dodge, and start a new life. Either that or find a cave somewhere and become a hermit for the next 5-10 years. And don't fuck any goats.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Hey, I don't really care if he screwed some goats
I am honestly afraid though that he will kill somebody else
Thomas Paine

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

aerius wrote: As for Zimmerman, he should just disappear. Change his name, get the fuck out of Dodge, and start a new life. Either that or find a cave somewhere and become a hermit for the next 5-10 years. And don't fuck any goats.
Isn't that pretty much what he tried? Guy's been functionally walking around with sunglasses on whenever he's inside for good reason. But there's a difference between asking him to disappear and asking him to be a social recluse, and then something like this happens and no, nobody really knows who to stick it to, whenever it does.