What US court decisions would you overturn?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

ZOmegaZ
Youngling

What US court decisions would you overturn?

Post by ZOmegaZ »

Similar to my previous thread on constitutional amendments (and probably some overlap in answers). Assuming you had complete authority to do so, what US court decisions would you overturn, and why?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: What US court decisions would you overturn?

Post by Borgholio »

Can we talk about court decisions that have not been made that should have been? If so, I would like to see the court strike down most (if not all) of the Patriot act and order it be re-written in a less invasive way.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

Fine by me. :)
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Patriot Act: would name it unconstitutional completely.

Certain things I would change like:
Sentient rights vice human rights.
Corporations are not people, ever.
People running for President picking their running mate. Rather it be the first loser the V.P. (granted, this only seems to be a good idea, have to do research before saying if it is)
White collar workers should actually be punished for their crimes, i.e. use the same measuring stick that they do for blue collar crime.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Zwinmar wrote: People running for President picking their running mate. Rather it be the first loser the V.P. (granted, this only seems to be a good idea, have to do research before saying if it is)
Fun fact: This is actually how it used to be done, before the 12th Amendment changed the process to what is used now.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Which ever one said that previous court decisions should have any weight in current or future ones.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

Purple wrote:Which ever one said that previous court decisions should have any weight in current or future ones.
Interesting! So precedent goes out the window. That seems like it might cause other difficulties...
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

ZOmegaZ wrote:
Purple wrote:Which ever one said that previous court decisions should have any weight in current or future ones.
Interesting! So precedent goes out the window. That seems like it might cause other difficulties...
Like for example force the courts to interpret laws anew from time to time instead of relying on old judgments based on bygone ages and bygone morality. Seriously, at least put a statute of limitation on them, like say 5 years.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

With precedent, when an issue comes up that the law is unclear on, the issue is decided once. Then some future cases that hit the same area of uncertainty won't happen, because the result is predictable.

Without precedent, you'll have more cases filed over the same area of uncertainty, because the people who would have lost under a precedent system have a chance of winning. Especially if they go shopping for a favorable judge.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:With precedent, when an issue comes up that the law is unclear on, the issue is decided once. Then some future cases that hit the same area of uncertainty won't happen, because the result is predictable.

Without precedent, you'll have more cases filed over the same area of uncertainty, because the people who would have lost under a precedent system have a chance of winning. Especially if they go shopping for a favorable judge.
On the other hand. With precedent, when an issue comes up that the law is unclear on, the issue is decided once. And than, 20 years later when public morality changes and that old decision is now considered repugnant it is still held up as precedent.

I'd rather have more time spent on deciding each and every case on a case by case basis. Than again, I am from Europe. And we don't use those where I am from anyway. So I might be biased.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Purple wrote:On the other hand. With precedent, when an issue comes up that the law is unclear on, the issue is decided once. And than, 20 years later when public morality changes and that old decision is now considered repugnant it is still held up as precedent.
Unless the laws that the precedent relates to get changed.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Zwinmar wrote: People running for President picking their running mate. Rather it be the first loser the V.P. (granted, this only seems to be a good idea, have to do research before saying if it is)
Fun fact: This is actually how it used to be done, before the 12th Amendment changed the process to what is used now.
I know, just not sure why it changed. Well other than parties wanting it to.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Zwinmar wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
I know, just not sure why it changed. Well other than parties wanting it to.
The VP sabotaging the President and vice versa?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It is usually blamed on the election of 1800 where Jefferson and Burr deadlocked and it took multiple times going back to the Senate to break the vote - the winning one being cast by Alexander Hamilton for Jefferson, which surprised everyone given how much Hamilton loathed Jefferson. When asked he said that he did it because he thought Jefferson would be the better president - ah, for the days when politicians actually thought of the good of the nation!

Anyhow, it was done to correct a perceived flaw in the electoral college.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Broomstick wrote:It is usually blamed on the election of 1800 where Jefferson and Burr deadlocked and it took multiple times going back to the Senate to break the vote - the winning one being cast by Alexander Hamilton for Jefferson, which surprised everyone given how much Hamilton loathed Jefferson. When asked he said that he did it because he thought Jefferson would be the better president - ah, for the days when politicians actually thought of the good of the nation!
Nitpick. Hamilton's vote wasn't the decisive one. New York went to Jefferson in every one of the 36 separate pollings of the Congress. . Hamilton politicking furiously to swing to vote (on the grounds that Jefferson was a hypocrite and a fanatic but Burr was worse) did contribute to the eventual deal that gave Jefferson the presidency.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Purple wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:With precedent, when an issue comes up that the law is unclear on, the issue is decided once. Then some future cases that hit the same area of uncertainty won't happen, because the result is predictable.

On the other hand. With precedent, when an issue comes up that the law is unclear on, the issue is decided once. And than, 20 years later when public morality changes and that old decision is now considered repugnant it is still held up as precedent.

I'd rather have more time spent on deciding each and every case on a case by case basis. Than again, I am from Europe. And we don't use those where I am from anyway. So I might be biased.
Old decisions held as repugnant are overturned regularly, and not just by Amendment. E.g., Lochner v. New York (1905) and Adkins v. Children's Hospital (1923) were both overturned by West Coast Hotel v. Parrish (1937). It took only 17 years for Bowers v. Hardwick (1986) to be overturned by Lawrence v. Texas, 2003. There are plenty of other examples.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Vaporous wrote:
Broomstick wrote:It is usually blamed on the election of 1800 where Jefferson and Burr deadlocked and it took multiple times going back to the Senate to break the vote - the winning one being cast by Alexander Hamilton for Jefferson, which surprised everyone given how much Hamilton loathed Jefferson. When asked he said that he did it because he thought Jefferson would be the better president - ah, for the days when politicians actually thought of the good of the nation!
Nitpick. Hamilton's vote wasn't the decisive one. New York went to Jefferson in every one of the 36 separate pollings of the Congress. . Hamilton politicking furiously to swing to vote (on the grounds that Jefferson was a hypocrite and a fanatic but Burr was worse) did contribute to the eventual deal that gave Jefferson the presidency.
Given that Burr killed Hamilton in a duel in 1804 and in 1807 was charged with treason (although not convicted) Hamilton was probably right about Burr being the worse choice.

Not that Jefferson was such a prize, either. The history books tend to focus on the positive, or put a positive spin on things that weren't so rosy from the other side of an issue.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Bush v. Gore, for obvious reasons.

Salinas v. Texas is a little disturbing. So is Kelo v. City of New London.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I forgot to mention Shelby County v. Holder...there was a thread on it earlier here:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=158832

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote a fiery dissent...this was my favorite quote (emphasis mine):
...the Court strikes §4(b)’s coverage provision because, in its view, the provision is not based on “current conditions.” Ante, at 17. It discounts, however, that one such condition was the preclearance remedy in place in the covered jurisdictions, a remedy Congress designed both to catch discrimination before it causes harm, and to guard against return to old ways. 2006 Reauthorization §2(b)(3), (9). Volumes of evidence supported Congress’ de­termination that the prospect of retrogression was real. Throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet.
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

Citizens United. Or, if we're allowed to use time travel, Dred Scott.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Sorry to multi-post like this but the edit function is diabled here. Another court decision I disagreed with was Arizona Christian School Tuition Organization v. Winn, for the reasons laid out both here and in Justice Elena Kagan's dissent.