UK Working Poor to be classed as "Not Working Enough"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Re: UK Working Poor to be classed as "Not Working Enough"

Post by Alan Bolte »

Simon_Jester wrote:Excuse me, I see the problem. You're using a technical term in a technically precise sense, one which unfortunately makes the term useless for normal people by excluding an important idea. At least, I assume you are using the term in a precise way- though I find it inexplicable that in economics "demand" does not mean "volume of the goods which are desired."
What people can afford is a necessary component to the demand curve - "demand" might not be the best possible name for that curve, but that's what is used. The intersection of the supply and demand curve would have no predictive power for prices if you were to assume infinite available money for purchasing the good or service in question. (I am not an economist)
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: UK Working Poor to be classed as "Not Working Enough"

Post by Simon_Jester »

Alan Bolte wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Excuse me, I see the problem. You're using a technical term in a technically precise sense, one which unfortunately makes the term useless for normal people by excluding an important idea. At least, I assume you are using the term in a precise way- though I find it inexplicable that in economics "demand" does not mean "volume of the goods which are desired."
What people can afford is a necessary component to the demand curve - "demand" might not be the best possible name for that curve, but that's what is used. The intersection of the supply and demand curve would have no predictive power for prices if you were to assume infinite available money for purchasing the good or service in question. (I am not an economist)
I know "demand" isn't as simple as "desire." But at the same time, "desire for the good" is the fundamental source of demand, while "limit of purchasing power available for this good" is the limit on demand that keeps it from blowing up to infinity.

If it's misleading to say that "demand" simply means desire for goods, it is MORE misleading to say what energiewende did, and claim that "demand" has nothing to do with whether or not a host of people want to own samples of the product or not.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov