Boyd Packer says to avoid 'Tolerance Trap'

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Boyd Packer says to avoid 'Tolerance Trap'

Post by FaxModem1 »

Huffington Post
Boyd Packer, Top Mormon, Warns Of Immorality 'Tolerance Trap'

Religion News Service | By Lisa Schnecker Posted: 04/08/2013 2:09 pm EDT | Updated: 04/08/2013 2:17 pm EDT
Share on Google+
Boyd Packer Tolerance
Get Religion Alerts:
Follow:
LDS Tolerance, LDS Church, Mormon Gay Marriage, Boyd-Packer, Lds, Religion News

SALT LAKE CITY (RNS) Just because the nation may change its laws to "tolerate legalized acts of immorality" does not make those acts any less spiritually damaging, senior Mormon apostle Boyd K. Packer said Saturday (April 6) at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' 183rd Annual General Conference.

"The permissiveness afforded by the weakening of the laws of the land to tolerate legalized acts of immorality," Packer said, "does not reduce the serious spiritual consequences that result from the violation of God's law of chastity."

Packer, president of the Mormons' Quorum of Twelve Apostles and next in line to take over the church's reins, didn't specifically mention gay marriage, but his comments came amid controversy on the issue nationwide and a significant swing in public and political opinion toward favoring such same-sex unions.

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two cases on the matter, one concerning whether to uphold California's Proposition 8, which Mormons heavily backed to limit marriage to unions between men and women, and the other on the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which also defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

In addition, the Boy Scouts of America recently announced it is weighing whether to lift a long-standing ban on allowing openly gay members and leaders in the organization. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the nation's largest sponsor of Scouting.

"Tolerance is a virtue, but, like all virtues, when exaggerated it transforms itself into a vice," said the 88-year-old Packer, speaking from his chair rather than from the pulpit. "We need to be careful of the'tolerance trap' so that we are not swallowed up in it."

(Lisa Schencker writes for The Salt Lake Tribune.)
Tolerance can be a vice, huh?
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Re: Boyd Packer says to avoid 'Tolerance Trap'

Post by Junghalli »

FaxModem1 wrote:Tolerance can be a vice, huh?
There are plenty of behaviors I imagine most liberals would not want to see society tolerate too.

Just saying.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Packer has been like that forever. He was the one who warned that the "three enemies of the church" were homosexuals, feminists, and intellectuals, and he was behind the "September Six" ex-communications back in the 1990s.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

clean those child raping polygamous sects out first before you suggest that anything between two concenting audlts is immoral. This goes double for the Pope.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

^ And in one sentence sums up perfectly where tolerance is, and tolerance is not, appropriate.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
The Yosemite Bear

I'm asexual, I'm sick of the Morman and Catholic Churches spending millions against minority groups rights here in my home state. So I've been kinda saving that rejoinder for a post since 2008

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

They tried that back in the 1950s, pushing for the Short Creek Raid by the Arizona state government to arrest them and break up the polygamist community there (and which is still there). It back-fired on them, drawing national criticism.

There was a time when the Mormon Church was still sheltering polygamists (probably as late as the 1930s), but now they're pretty anti-polygamist, at least in this life (the after-life is another question). The FLDS people are a huge embarrassment for them, and the dislike is mutual with the FLDS leadership.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:clean those child raping polygamous sects out first before you suggest that anything between two concenting audlts is immoral. This goes double for the Pope.
The mainstream LDS church does not associate with and has no influence over the RLDS, FLDS and other Mormon fundamentalists. In fact, the LDS tries to distance itself from those groups as much as possible ever since they backpedaled on sanctioning plural marriages.

One of the questions during a Temple Recommend interview with a Bishop is "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" A Bishop explained to me once that this would include LDS offshoot groups like the above.

Funny enough, the mainstream Mormons still think plural marriages are OK as long as they are authorized by God, but otherwise there is very little mention of polygamy these days. LDS dogma also points to the fact that the church has left open room so that they may one day re-institute polygamy if God permits it once again. And of course, if you do multiple "sealings" on Earth here (say a guys first wife died and then the guy re-marries), then anyone you ever "sealed" with will be there waiting for you in the afterlife...a form of spiritual polygamy, if you will.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Darth Lucifer wrote:Funny enough, the mainstream Mormons still think plural marriages are OK as long as they are authorized by God, but otherwise there is very little mention of polygamy these days. LDS dogma also points to the fact that the church has left open room so that they may one day re-institute polygamy if God permits it once again. And of course, if you do multiple "sealings" on Earth here (say a guys first wife died and then the guy re-marries), then anyone you ever "sealed" with will be there waiting for you in the afterlife...a form of spiritual polygamy, if you will.
I don't know your leanings, and no offense meant, but this looks like they reject polygamy only in a very specific form that happens to be politically embarassing. That bit about remarrying as a widower is neat, though. Does it extend to women as well?
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Dr. Trainwreck wrote:
Darth Lucifer wrote:Funny enough, the mainstream Mormons still think plural marriages are OK as long as they are authorized by God, but otherwise there is very little mention of polygamy these days. LDS dogma also points to the fact that the church has left open room so that they may one day re-institute polygamy if God permits it once again. And of course, if you do multiple "sealings" on Earth here (say a guys first wife died and then the guy re-marries), then anyone you ever "sealed" with will be there waiting for you in the afterlife...a form of spiritual polygamy, if you will.
I don't know your leanings, and no offense meant, but this looks like they reject polygamy only in a very specific form that happens to be politically embarassing. That bit about remarrying as a widower is neat, though. Does it extend to women as well?
Surprise, surprise, it does not. Women may only be sealed to one man, so if a widow remarries, she has to decide which husband to be sealed to.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord Relvenous wrote:Surprise, surprise, it does not. Women may only be sealed to one man, so if a widow remarries, she has to decide which husband to be sealed to.
I'm kind of surprised they don't forbid women from remarrying, in that case.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Ralin wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote:Surprise, surprise, it does not. Women may only be sealed to one man, so if a widow remarries, she has to decide which husband to be sealed to.
I'm kind of surprised they don't forbid women from remarrying, in that case.
If they had done that, Brigham Young wouldn't have been able to marry a good amount of his wives, many of which were widows (16 at the very least). As it was Brigham Young who really pushed polygamy, the lack of that kind of doctrine isn't so surprising.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
The Yosemite Bear

mind you for reverse polygamous sets there's emma place (akka Mrs Sundance, & Mrs Butch Cassidy)

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:mind you for reverse polygamous sets there's emma place (akka Mrs Sundance, & Mrs Butch Cassidy)
Just fyi, the official term is polyandry.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Technically, polygamous is still just fine, since it just means multiple marriages or multiple spouses. To properly differentiate between the two, you'd need to use polyandry - multiple husbands - and polygyny - multiple wives.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Not so - just like polyandry and polygyny, polygamy means having multiple spouses simultaneously, not sequentially. It's a larger category including both the gender-specific nouns, not a different thing.

Of course, that's in Ancient Greek. In English polygyny arguably isn't a word and everybody knows what polygamy means.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

Darth Lucifer wrote: Funny enough, the mainstream Mormons still think plural marriages are OK as long as they are authorized by God, but otherwise there is very little mention of polygamy these days. LDS dogma also points to the fact that the church has left open room so that they may one day re-institute polygamy if God permits it once again. And of course, if you do multiple "sealings" on Earth here (say a guys first wife died and then the guy re-marries), then anyone you ever "sealed" with will be there waiting for you in the afterlife...a form of spiritual polygamy, if you will.
"Authorized by God?" How do they define that exactly?
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

DieselJester wrote:
Darth Lucifer wrote: Funny enough, the mainstream Mormons still think plural marriages are OK as long as they are authorized by God, but otherwise there is very little mention of polygamy these days. LDS dogma also points to the fact that the church has left open room so that they may one day re-institute polygamy if God permits it once again. And of course, if you do multiple "sealings" on Earth here (say a guys first wife died and then the guy re-marries), then anyone you ever "sealed" with will be there waiting for you in the afterlife...a form of spiritual polygamy, if you will.
Generally the same way any church decides how God changed his mind: the church leaders say so.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Esquire wrote:Not so - just like polyandry and polygyny, polygamy means having multiple spouses simultaneously, not sequentially. It's a larger category including both the gender-specific nouns, not a different thing.

Of course, that's in Ancient Greek. In English polygyny arguably isn't a word and everybody knows what polygamy means.
Arguably isn't a word? I'm curious how you reach that conclusion.

Anyway, Etta Place was cohabiting with both Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid simultaneously. Whether they were married is up for debate, so far as I know. My point was that you don't have to call it "reverse polygamy" if it's more than one male spouse. Polygamy applies to both.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Esquire wrote:Of course, that's in Ancient Greek. In English polygyny arguably isn't a word and everybody knows what polygamy means.
Of course it's an English word, we stole it fair and square.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Grumman wrote:
Esquire wrote:Of course, that's in Ancient Greek. In English polygyny arguably isn't a word and everybody knows what polygamy means.
Of course it's an English word, we stole it fair and square.
Appropriation by usage is legal in linguistics anyway.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

It's not exactly an Ancient Greek work anyway. It's neo-greek.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

chitoryu12 wrote:
DieselJester wrote:
Generally the same way any church decides how God changed his mind: the church leaders say so.
Though I'm guessing Mormons take that more seriously than most. Anecdotally, I'm friends with an atheist philosophy professor who used to live in Utah and he's told me that the Mormons he knew there took decisions by the LDS leadership as literal commandments from God. Meaning that when they decreed that henceforth polygamy was not acceptable that was that and whenever he pointed out the problems they would just say, "Oh, we don't think about that."
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

In case this runs off on an anti-polygamy wagon, I want to make it plain I have no problem with multiple partners, as long as all partners are informed, consenting, adults. As long as that's the case, I don't give a crap.
I object to cases where pressure was brought to bear and/or a partner is under-aged.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Well, if all these people can manage to agree on something like that, that's no harm to me. But I noticed this hypocrisy of condemning polygamy to outsiders, while internally they keep saying there's not a problem if God likes it. If you tell me there's this difference of divine approval, why don't they make the distinction clear to outsiders?

But then it's about religion in general: no church speaks of hellfire to strangers. Probably because most of them come from a time when killing an infidel was acceptable, so they tried to hide the bigger unpleasantries.