Obama Says He Can't Use 'Jedi Mind-Meld' on Congress

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Obama Says He Can't Use 'Jedi Mind-Meld' on Congress

Post by Eframepilot »

Well, I should think not.

Obama: I Can’t Use ‘Jedi Mindmeld’ On Congress To Fix Sequestration
David Taintor wrote:Asked why he doesn't just sit down with congressional leaders until a sequestration deal is reached, President Obama said Friday that he can't lock lawmakers in a room.

"I am not a dictator, I'm the President," Obama said. "So, ultimately, if Mitch McConnell or John Boehner say, we need to go to catch a plane, I can't have Secret Service block the doorway."

Obama added: "I know that this has been some of the conventional wisdom that's been floating around Washington that somehow, even though most people agree that I'm being reasonable, that most people agree I'm presenting a fair deal. The fact that they don't take it means that I should somehow, you know, do a Jedi mindmeld with these folks and convince them to do what's right. Well, you know, they're elected. We have a constitutional system of government."
I guess he can't threaten Republicans with his phaser sword, either.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Obama Says He Can't Use 'Jedi Mind-Meld' on Congress

Post by Stark »

Five hours late - not too bad I guess.

Just to bring you up to speed, Vulcan Jedi pretty cool. Don't be space racist.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

I prefer Vulcan Green Lanterns.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

So when they say they can't build a Death Star, its because they're trying to get access to a working warp reactor?

To be honest, just how much will sequestration hurt Obama? Or could he make sufficient political hay from this to offset the damage done?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Obama probably has the advantage over the GOP on the sequester according to recent polls of public opinion. But anything could happen.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

http://civic.mit.edu/blog/petey/sorry-n ... etaphysics

Obama:1, Fattynerds: 0

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I kinda wonder if Obama mixed terms intentionally, as a joke or to make it look slightly less nerdy or something. He is supposed to be into comics and all, I'd be surprised if he didn't know Star Trek and Star Wars at least well enough to know which does which.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I've been a Star Wars and Star Trek fan for most of my life, but when I first read the title of this thread, I didn't even notice the mixed reference. My brain sort of just auto-replaced "mind meld" with "mind trick". I thought the thread was just about the fact that Obama is having difficulty with congress.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

Have you ever been placed in front of a microphone and told to be entertaining? Or just had to be in front of an audience and invent some sort of sound byte off the top of your head? Or even just done some sort of customer support where you had to be on the phone and answer questions on the fly?

If you have, you'll probably know that sometimes, the words just fly out and you can't make rhyme or reason what comes out. I'm remembering one particular instance where I was trying to make a joke and something completely and utterly wrong fell out of my mouth, and it was horribly embarrassing. Probably something similar happened here, where words got muddled and the President was just inventing things and throwing them out there to keep his mouth moving.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

fgalkin wrote:http://civic.mit.edu/blog/petey/sorry-n ... etaphysics

Obama:1, Fattynerds: 0

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Who is really the 'farrynerd' in this scenario? The casual guys who has seen a Wars movie and a Trek episode that knows that one has 'mind tricks' and the other 'mind melds' or the saddo that spent who knows how long drudging up the god-damned EU for the hope he could save this rather blatant sci-fi faux pas?

Just curious like.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crown wrote:Who is really the 'farrynerd' in this scenario? The casual guys who has seen a Wars movie and a Trek episode that knows that one has 'mind tricks' and the other 'mind melds' or the saddo that spent who knows how long drudging up the god-damned EU for the hope he could save this rather blatant sci-fi faux pas?
Jesus dude, I'm pretty sure the guy had just read the EU, knew it off the top of his head and thought it would be funny to point out.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

That might be equally sad, because the Jedi mind-melding ability comes from a particularly forgettable portion of the E.U. If he could remember that off the top of his head then he's read all of it.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I bet the answer is "anyone in the media that spent more than thirty seconds on this."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Darksider wrote:That might be equally sad, because the Jedi mind-melding ability comes from a particularly forgettable portion of the E.U. If he could remember that off the top of his head then he's read all of it.
This is subjective and I don't know the actual sales figures, but I would have thought the NJO would be one of the more well-known parts of the EU, seeing as that was their first big multi-author story arc. At least in the novels; I never got into the comics and all.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Sorry, that doesn't fly. The Jedi power is called "Force Meld", or sometimes "Jedi Meld" or "Battle Meld". It is not called "Mind Meld".

Evidence.

Obama still blew it. :P
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Darksider wrote:That might be equally sad, because the Jedi mind-melding ability comes from a particularly forgettable portion of the E.U. If he could remember that off the top of his head then he's read all of it.
Eh, Zahn and Walter John Williams are two of bigger names in SW EU.
Ralin wrote:This is subjective and I don't know the actual sales figures, but I would have thought the NJO would be one of the more well-known parts of the EU, seeing as that was their first big multi-author story arc. At least in the novels; I never got into the comics and all.
Technically, first was Shadows of the Empire, NJO was second :wink:
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

A Jedi Mind Meld would be some trippy stuff. But short of active mind control, no, nothing is gonna get the GOP to stop it's determination to destroy the economy and government at any costs.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Irbis wrote:Technically, first was Shadows of the Empire, NJO was second :wink:
I suppose that counts. Though I really meant novel-wise; never really touched on any other parts of the EU.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

People are seriously arguing fucking semantics over this?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Darksider wrote:People are seriously arguing fucking semantics over this?
It's not exactly a serious topic.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Ralin wrote:
Darksider wrote:People are seriously arguing fucking semantics over this?
It's not exactly a serious topic.
Its not in testing, so therefore it MUST be serious. Talking about politics is serious business. :D
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Obama was just trying to avoid picking a side in the SW vs ST debate, for fear of alienating a significant voting demographic.
XXXI