McAfee on the run for murder (Yes, anti-virus guy)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

McAfee on the run for murder (Yes, anti-virus guy)

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Salon wrote: John McAfee is the prime suspect in a shooting on his Belize island home

Gizmodo reported Monday that eccentric anti-virus pioneer John McAfee is wanted by Belize police for murder. Sixty-seven-year-old McAfee is a prime suspect in the killing of American expat Gregory Faull, who was shot dead Saturday night at his home on the Belize island of Ambergris Caye.

“Last Wednesday, Faull filed a formal complaint against McAfee with the mayor’s office, asserting that McAfee had fired off guns and exhibited ‘roguish behavior,’” Gizmodo reported. “Their final disagreement apparently involved dogs.”

A Gizmodo profile of McAfee published just last week noted that the “founding-father” of anti-virus software had become “increasingly erratic, and by his own admission he had begun associating with some of the most notorious gangsters in Belize.”

The site attributes his estrangement from friends and members of the Belize expat community partially to his intensive use of psychosis-inducing hallucinogens — a practice he reportedly regularly posts about on message boards under pseudonyms. Gizmodo offered perturbing details about McAfee’s interest in using drugs to coerce women into sex:

McAfee’s purported interest in extracting medicine from jungle plants provided him a wholesome justification for building a well-equipped chemistry lab in a remote corner of Belize. The specific properties of the drugs he was attempting to isolate also fit in well with what those closest to him have reported: that he is an enthusiastic amateur pharmacologist with a longstanding interest in drugs that induce sexual behavior in women. Indeed, former friends of McAfee have said he could be extremely persistent and devious in trying to coerce women who rebuff his advances to have sex with him.

McAfee sold his company to Intel in 2010 for almost $7.7 billion. According to Belize police, McAfee has not yet been apprehended for Faull’s murder and is considered to be on the run.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: McAfee on the run for murder (Yes, anti-virus guy)

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I see someone is trying to live their life in imitation of the lyrics of a couple of Warren Zevon songs.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

What I don't get, is why he doesn't just fucking LEAVE Belize. (Apparently he :
""McAfee insists he has no plans to leave the country. “I like it here,” he says. “It’s the nicest place on earth.” "

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/1 ... 12_mcafee/

If I was him, whether i'd done it or not (no fucking clue in that direction), I would just get the fuck out of dodge. If he can contact reporters, how hard would it be to charter a private jet or even ultralight plane flight from there to a neighbouring country).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Maybe he has and was just saying he wouldn't to keep police focused internally?
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

And I just got an email to renew my subscription today...

(I won't. It was on my last, junked PC anyway.)
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Serves him right for helping propagate an annoying, buggy and pure shitsack of a antivirus program across the Internet.

Oh, and by the way - he's shoved Bath Salts, that drug the Miami dude took and went batshit from - up his anus.

No, I'm not kidding. He really has.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

At least the legal system in Belize will give him a 30 day trial
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Eframepilot wrote:And I just got an email to renew my subscription today...

(I won't. It was on my last, junked PC anyway.)
He sold the company that makes McAfee antivirus years ago.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:What I don't get, is why he doesn't just fucking LEAVE Belize...[snip]... I would just get the fuck out of dodge. If he can contact reporters, how hard would it be to charter a private jet or even ultralight plane flight from there to a neighbouring country).
You're assuming that someone who apparently has made a hobby of ingesting large and varied quantities of mind-altering substances is thinking rationally. It's a good bet that he isn't.

Or maybe he's just afraid of flying...?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
whackadoodle
Padawan Learner

Post by whackadoodle »

Broomstick wrote:Or maybe he's just afraid of flying...?
According to last night's broadcast of Marketplace, McAfee tried to popularize his invented sport of 'mapping', which involved racing small aircraft over the desert...10 feet over the desert.
I'm going with 'batshit'.
I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
J.B.S. Haldane
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so the guy who invented the security software that is still not letting me remove it from my computer fully, went off the Hunter S. Thompson deep end, along with that freaky wig guy who created the wall of sound.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

John hasn't been involved in the company named after him since 1994. He owns a number of businesses in and around Belize, two of which IIRC involved chartering flights.

Anyway, he has put up a blog for defending himself.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Somewhere, the old hacker/virus group Y.A.M (Youths Against McAfee), the members that still care, are laughing their asses off over this.

Probably Phalcon/Skism, ARCV, and a few others too.

Man, I can't believe I'm old enough to remember those guys.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.