911 Caller Busts NYPD Safehouse in NJ

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: 911 Caller Busts NYPD Safehouse in NJ

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Gaidin wrote:Sounds in part like the same logic that's getting various police departments(or is it just NYPD so far?) smacked down for trying to keep people from videoing them on public property.
No, that's pretty much precedence at this point. Citizens can video tape police in the performance of their duties as long as they're in a place they're legally allowed to be AND (important) their actions and proximity do not interfer with the investigation or officer safety. I don't believe there has been a ruling on what is considered a reasonable safe distance. Until there is such a ruling that says otherwise I tell third parties to stay back 25ft.

As far as I'm concerned the only police that don't want to be video taped are the ones that know they are doing something illegal or aren't sure if what they are doing is legal.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Gaidin wrote:Sounds in part like the same logic that's getting various police departments(or is it just NYPD so far?) smacked down for trying to keep people from videoing them on public property.
No, that's pretty much precedence at this point. Citizens can video tape police in the performance of their duties as long as they're in a place they're legally allowed to be AND (important) their actions and proximity do not interfer with the investigation or officer safety. I don't believe there has been a ruling on what is considered a reasonable safe distance. Until there is such a ruling that says otherwise I tell third parties to stay back 25ft.

As far as I'm concerned the only police that don't want to be video taped are the ones that know they are doing something illegal or aren't sure if what they are doing is legal.
That's where the 'place where they're legally allowed to be' comes in as far as *similar* logic goes. Police on public street or sidewalk. Hears or sees something unaided from said public place. The police seem more restricted in that instead of 'where they're legally allowed to be', its more 'permission or warrant'.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Gaidin wrote: That's where the 'place where they're legally allowed to be' comes in as far as *similar* logic goes. Police on public street or sidewalk. Hears or sees something unaided from said public place. The police seem more restricted in that instead of 'where they're legally allowed to be', its more 'permission or warrant'.
Yes, it is similar. Though I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you meean when you say it's more "permission or warrant" in regards to evidence taken from a place where they're legally allowed to be. Police do not need a warrant to gather evidence, or obtain surveillance from a place that they are legally allowed to be as long as that evidence could be see by the naked eye.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: Yes, it is similar. Though I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you meean when you say it's more "permission or warrant" in regards to evidence taken from a place where they're legally allowed to be. Police do not need a warrant to gather evidence, or obtain surveillance from a place that they are legally allowed to be as long as that evidence could be see by the naked eye.
The case notes that if they're seeing or hearing something from a place they have permission to be it's permissible. I presume this would extend to a place they had a warrant to be and ended up seeing or hearing something that wouldn't qualify as an exigent circumstance.

Probably a stretch for it to come up in a situation, that part does seem to be more thought exercise.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think there really is a problem when the police are using that 'I heard it passing by' basis to stake out places they don't like, for periods of weeks or months, without a warrant.

It's like... If John walks down the sidewalk one night, passes Helen's house, looks in her window and sees her changing clothes, he hasn't broken any laws. He has a legal right to be on the sidewalk, there's no law that says he can't look at an open window, and if Helen didn't want anyone to see her she should probably have closed the curtains.

But if John stands on the sidewalk for hours in the hopes of seeing Helen changing clothes in the window, that's not the same thing. That's not just an accidental glimpse, that's stalking.

The intent and duration of the observation matters.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think there really is a problem when the police are using that 'I heard it passing by' basis to stake out places they don't like, for periods of weeks or months, without a warrant.

It's like... If John walks down the sidewalk one night, passes Helen's house, looks in her window and sees her changing clothes, he hasn't broken any laws. He has a legal right to be on the sidewalk, there's no law that says he can't look at an open window, and if Helen didn't want anyone to see her she should probably have closed the curtains.

But if John stands on the sidewalk for hours in the hopes of seeing Helen changing clothes in the window, that's not the same thing. That's not just an accidental glimpse, that's stalking.

The intent and duration of the observation matters.
I agree, but I haven't found any case law regarding duration.

I'd also like to point out that it is unlikely that police will waste time and resources observing a random house. Unfortunately with the NYPD situation they're engaged in racial profiling that is being sanctioned because of terrorism fear mongering. Besides, at this time in time I think domestic terrorism poses the greatest threat to US security so they should probably be watching christian religious zealots instead of random muslims with no connection to extremists. (making an assumption here...if they have intel that extremists are attending these locations then the surveillance could be reasonable)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Legally allowed to be = Public area or private property with consent of owner
Not allowed to look at what I am doing in the privacy of my house, though.
Yup. Are you claiming that New York state law has radically different rulings regarding civil rights?
Nope, but it was you that claimed the Supreme court had ruled on this.
Yes, it does. You failed to comprehend critical pieces. I will point them out. (Your emphasis removed. My emphasis added)
I guess what happened here is that I failed to say what I meant properly. The police can look at what is open to the public for all I care, but as soon as I close the window and pull the blinds they can pretty much forget about it.

You couldn't be more wrong. Using binoculars is wrong when it is used to spy into the interior of an area where you have an expectation of privacy.
Which is what I said and highlighted. :roll:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:I agree, but I haven't found any case law regarding duration.

I'd also like to point out that it is unlikely that police will waste time and resources observing a random house.
They won't choose houses purely at random. But if there's no law against 'police stalking' by way of stakeouts done from places the police are legally allowed to be, it's still a bad thing. It makes legalized police harassment easier (as we see here, with the mosque being singled out for constant police attention). And it's one of those police tactics that lend themselves to the creation of a proto-police-state.

Do something strange enough, and the police CAN decide to follow you around on all public property,...

This isn't likely to happen in the immediate term, and I doubt even the NYPD really wants to follow this that far for everyone.* I just don't like the legal precedent.

Although the people responsible for the stakeout of the mosque no doubt think MUSLIMS ARE DIFFERENT when it comes to this.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Thanas wrote:
Not allowed to look at what I am doing in the privacy of my house, though.
Assuming your expectation of privacy was reasonable. You can't reasonably expect to have privacy if you have your curtains open and someone from the street can see inside your house.
Nope, but it was you that claimed the Supreme court had ruled on this.
No, I did not.
I guess what happened here is that I failed to say what I meant properly. The police can look at what is open to the public for all I care, but as soon as I close the window and pull the blinds they can pretty much forget about it.
Yup. Did I say something that made you think otherwise?

Which is what I said and highlighted. :roll:

Your commentary made your stance unclear. :roll:
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:I agree, but I haven't found any case law regarding duration.

I'd also like to point out that it is unlikely that police will waste time and resources observing a random house.
They won't choose houses purely at random. But if there's no law against 'police stalking' by way of stakeouts done from places the police are legally allowed to be, it's still a bad thing. It makes legalized police harassment easier (as we see here, with the mosque being singled out for constant police attention). And it's one of those police tactics that lend themselves to the creation of a proto-police-state.
Any police business could, theoretically, be considered "legalized police harassment" and "lend itself to the creation of a proto-police state". That's a very vague criticism.
Do something strange enough, and the police CAN decide to follow you around on all public property,...

This isn't likely to happen in the immediate term, and I doubt even the NYPD really wants to follow this that far for everyone.* I just don't like the legal precedent.

Although the people responsible for the stakeout of the mosque no doubt think MUSLIMS ARE DIFFERENT when it comes to this.

The problem here is simply that it never occurred to you it might be legal for the police to do this sort of thing. The fact is, however, that the police have a right to be on the public streets and watch any house they want, just like a private citizen. As for stalking laws, they take more than just "I'm being watched" to make a valid complaint. The mere fact that the person watching you is a police officer is almost always enough to make it not stalking, unless you are going to assert that somehow a police officer observing your house is exactly the same as any random nutjob doing so. A police officer doing so almost always is doing so in the course of regular business, even if he might, theoretically mean you harm, whereas some random asshole almost always has nefarious purposes in mind.

While I don't think it's a good idea for the NYPD to be spending resources trying to play counter-terrorist agency, and there are definitely racial profiling issues, the fact that the police can observe you, even at length, or decide to "investigate" you by watching you from places they are legally allowed to be, is not the problem.

In fact, it highlights a basic problem with attitudes towards law enforcement. "If you are doing nothing wrong, you shouldn't have a problem with it" is the attitude of a police state when talking about intruding upon your private affairs; it is not the attitude of a police state when referring to what you do in public. In point of fact, if you are doing nothing wrong and the police are observing you in your public affairs, they will almost always move on in short order because they have better things to do than watch a person go about lawful business. If they continue to do so, it's almost always because they have other information indicating you are engaged in unlawful activity.
\
Yes, it's possible that police officers might abuse their power and in some cases they do. You could end up in court for no reason. However, it does not make sense to criticize this on the basis that you, in your personal assessment, have done nothing wrong and you fear observation of your public activities because you've imagined that its possible they might be construed wrongly as illegal activity. In reality, we cannot stipulate in advance that it's an innocent person being observed and then wrongly accused. That might or might not be the case, which is why we have a a criminal justice process; the police are not required to prove guilt before investigating. Even if we're talking about you personally, and your fear of someone observing you and construing your activity as illegal, why should we take your word for it. I beg your pardon for making the point personal, but you're an internet personality. If a police officer says he's conducting surveillance of you, why should I take your word that he has no good reason?
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

So did this take place in New Brunswick or New Jersey?
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

fajner1 wrote:So did this take place in New Brunswick or New Jersey?
New Brunswick is a town in New Jersey.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.