Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Do you agree with the Court's decision?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 26

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act

Post by Sidewinder »

From MSNBC:
High court strikes down Stolen Valor Act

By Tom Curry, msnbc.com National Affairs Writer

Updated at 4:15 pm ET The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a federal law called the Stolen Valor Act which prohibits a person from falsely claiming that he has been awarded a military honor.

The case involved Xavier Alvarez who was an elected member of the Three Valleys Municipal Water District Board in Pomona, California.

In 2007 Alvarez said at a public water district board meeting that he was a retired Marine, had been “wounded many times,” and had been “awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor” in 1987.

In fact, he never served in the United States armed forces.

Alvarez pleaded guilty to violating the Stolen Valor Act, but claimed that his false statements were protected by the First Amendment right of free speech.

The majority opinion by Justice Anthony Kennedy said, “The remedy for speech that is false is speech that is true. This is the ordinary course in a free society.”

Kennedy quoted from the famous dissent by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes in the 1919 Abrams decision: “The best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market.”

Kennedy said, "Some false statements are inevitable if there is to be an open and vigorous expression of views in public and private conversation, expression the First Amendment seeks to guarantee."

Writing a dissent for himself, Justice Clarence Thomas and Justice Antonin Scalia, Justice Samuel Alito said a long line of prior court decisions recognized “that the right to free speech does not protect false factual statements that inflict real harm and serve no legitimate interest.”

Alito said, “Legitimate award recipients and their families have expressed the harm they endure when an imposter takes credit for heroic actions that he never performed. One Medal of Honor recipient described the feeling as a ‘slap in the face of veterans who have paid the price and earned their medals.’”

Alito said diluting the effect of military awards “harms the military by hampering its efforts to foster morale and esprit de corps.”
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act

Post by LaCroix »

So I finally can talk about my navy cross?

I guess it's only fair. When News Stations aren't legally bound to telling the truth, why should common people be?

Next step - strike down libel laws.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

I disagree with the ruling since lying about a specific deed is not what free speech is about, but I'm from yuroland so I'm biased against the US all-inclusive version of free speech. So in the specific case of Alvarez I think the ruling should be to convict him regarding the Medal of Honor bit.
However from a legal perspective I think that if we are talking about the whole Stolen Valor Act and not just the medal part of it then I agree with the supreme court that it was an unconstitutional act due to its other bits. Specificly the gov selling mil clothes to the public but then trying to limit who could wear them. Or the more specifics in who could say they were in the military, like with mercenary companies etc. Military experience contains a lot more concepts than gov mil.
I find it weird that acts are packages and that the supreme court can't pick & chose from an act, but rather either reject or accept the whole package. Or am I misremembering things there?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Meh, I guess I agree, in so far as people who lie about that sort of thing are usually pretty easy to pick out and mock endlessly for their absurd stories. I guess it falls under, what you say/lie about is deeply offensive to me, but I'm not willing to let you rot in jail over my offense.' type thing for me.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

The majority opinion by Justice Anthony Kennedy said, “The remedy for speech that is false is speech that is true. This is the ordinary course in a free society.”
Cool, so I can tell all the bullshit I want, then correct everything at some random moment before dying and IT WILL BE OK. I'm off to sell real estate in the middle of Florida swamps then.

Did the process end with an "Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"? because this is how RCC handles stuff, not a modern society.

Was this judge high? Or is this standard for US?
Meh, I guess I agree, in so far as people who lie about that sort of thing are usually pretty easy to pick out and mock endlessly for their absurd stories. I guess it falls under, what you say/lie about is deeply offensive to me, but I'm not willing to let you rot in jail over my offense.' type thing for me.
Here the issue isn't that this obvious liar goes in jail or not, but that they took down a law that makes you a criminal if you say you have medals when infact you have none.
At least this is what I understood.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

LaCroix wrote:So I finally can talk about my navy cross?

I guess it's only fair. When News Stations aren't legally bound to telling the truth, why should common people be?

Next step - strike down libel laws.
Libel laws concern civil torts- they are about the civil harm caused by false statements made about people. The Stolen Valor Act is a criminal law. It is quite possible that falsely claiming to have received military decorations is still a tort under the right circumstances- eg if the claim actually harmed someone, like if the claim was a deciding factor in employment, awarding a contract, etc. However, I think that this guy is immune to torts, since allowing people to sue elected officials for lying to get elected would set a very dangerous precedent and curtail the ability of politicians to act freely once elected. That said, there could be test cases to enable civil torts against false claimants of military decorations based on the Alito dissent in the future.
someone_else wrote:Cool, so I can tell all the bullshit I want, then correct everything at some random moment before dying and IT WILL BE OK. I'm off to sell real estate in the middle of Florida swamps then.

Did the process end with an "Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"? because this is how RCC handles stuff, not a modern society.

Was this judge high? Or is this standard for US?
No, you can't, because that is fraud. Lying as part of a business transaction is a crime under most circumstances and almost always a tort. This, however, only caused harm in a more abstract sense that is almost certainly legally indefensible. American legal opinion on free speech has fluctuated back and forth between near-absolute governmental control and near-absolute freedom, but within periods where center-to-left ideas predominate on the Court, generally direct harm must be shown for freedom of speech to be restricted. Secondly, you misunderstand the point of the quotation-it says that the remedy for lies is to show them to be lies, not to throw the liar in jail.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

How is saying "I have a Medal of Honor" different than saying "I have a Medal of Freedom?" Why is lying about one legal, and the other is not?

The court did the right thing, kicking this retarded military fetishist law down.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin