Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - Barnett Cocks, British political writer (1907-)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-07 01:08pm
The Anti-Shep

Location: "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn. ''
If only the Democrats were this creative:

LINK

Quote:
You don’t want government in your banks or in your classrooms. But you do want it in your… ehhh, “ladybits.”

Such is the premise behind “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” the latest in a series of War On Women-themed “Funny Or Die” videos (past hits have included the Santorum Slam and Susan Sarandon’s “White Man’s Dick”). Starring Kate Beckinsale, Judy Greer [hubba HUBBA! --Elfdart] and Andrea Savage, the video asks a crucial questions: “What about my right to choose to not have a choice?” Indeed.

If the Dems were smart they'd mention these ultrasound rape laws in every ad in every race.

"I continue to wonder precisely what Constitution of which nation this president taught back in his days in law school."

--Charles Pierce on Barack Obama

Post subject: Re: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-07 04:11pm
SMAKIBBFB

Not creative - brave.

The Dems have shown time and again that they lack the tiniest bit of spine to make any real stand on these issues if there is even the slightest chance of bad press.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-08 03:16am
Emperor's Hand

I loved the bit with the doctor. An excellent crack at the way those political ads manipulate the audience.

JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Post subject: Re: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-08 07:20pm
Jedi Knight

Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra
weemadando wrote:
Not creative - brave.

The Dems have shown time and again that they lack the tiniest bit of spine to make any real stand on these issues if there is even the slightest chance of bad press.

They're just being pragmatic. Most of abortion/birth control-related issues are at the state level not national (and in the birth control coverage debate, Obama himself spoke up) and some of these laws are being invalidated by the courts or revised by the Republicans themselves. To focus on abortion is going to alienate the Catholic working class, liberal Evangelicals, and Hispanics. The interest groups have plenty of clout themselves as seen with the Komen affair.

El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.

Post subject: Re: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-08 08:17pm
SMAKIBBFB

Making sweeping comments on state level social issues seems to be working for the GOP.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-08 11:13pm
Jedi Knight

Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra
weemadando wrote:
Making sweeping comments on state level social issues seems to be working for the GOP.

Only for the primaries-look at Romney's disaster with his foreign policy spokesman.

El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.

Post subject: Re: New Ad: “Republicans, Get In My Vagina!” PostPosted: 2012-05-08 11:23pm
Sith Devotee

All of those groups you mentioned have been pro-abortion rights or neutral in the past and have only really seen shifts in the very recent terms- the majority of opposition then and now has come from conservative white evangelicals. A more likely reason is that Democrats are unwilling to do much that smacks of controversy, as the very idea of having opinions worth fighting for is terrifying to the current crop of brand-oriented politicians.

Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!

I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?

- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums