Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Aharon
Youngling

Re: Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

Post by Aharon »

@Serafina
Do you know of any other way to express the same in German? Would it be ok to say/write Teilnehmer und Teilnehmerinnen without being a bigot? What about Teilnehmende?

I do understand the desire to make language as inclusive as possible, but I think that the form with the gender gap looks very inelegant and is distracting when used consistently in longer texts.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Aharon wrote:@Serafina
Do you know of any other way to express the same in German? Would it be ok to say/write Teilnehmer und Teilnehmerinnen without being a bigot? What about Teilnehmende?

I do understand the desire to make language as inclusive as possible, but I think that the form with the gender gap looks very inelegant and is distracting when used consistently in longer texts.
Both are completely okay and employed as legitimate alternatives.
"Teilnehmer und Teilnehmerinnen" is in fact the standard form of adress in speech. It's arguably not inclusive of third genders, but that doesn't make you a bigot in any way.
"Teilnehmende" would be gender inclusive, but i rarely see it used.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

spaceviking wrote:Well I somewhat feel like Chocula in that I would never want to fuck a transwoman.
Personally, if anything that looks like that picture I posted ever comes at me, I will sex it. Woman, transwoman, evil robot disguised as a woman, whatever.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

It is because of people like you that the cylons are winning this war.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

"I would fuck that" should not be the sole metric by which one measures the validity of one's personhood.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

No one is saying that is it is, Dudeguyman was quoting a snip of a larger statement.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Getting back on topic, at this point is there any way for her to get voted short of the final rounds out without it looking like bigotry? I feel like the organization almost has to let her get though a couple rounds even if she wasn't qualified to participate, just to avoid further accusations of bigotry, which is bigoted in its own right.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

PS I think she is qualified but that's sort of neither here nor there.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Todeswind wrote:Getting back on topic, at this point is there any way for her to get voted short of the final rounds out without it looking like bigotry? I feel like the organization almost has to let her get though a couple rounds even if she wasn't qualified to participate, just to avoid further accusations of bigotry, which is bigoted in its own right.
The question of who the winner is may end up having a lot to do with how much the Miss Universe title is a product. The winner, whoever she is, becomes a temporary spokeswoman for select charitable and trade causes. I believe they also make money on personal appearances at events, which would be paid for by sponsors. I have no idea if the people who pay money to use Miss Universe in their campaigns think their target audiences are ready to accept a transgender woman as a sex symbol and social icon.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

She might very well lose on her own merits whether she was transgender or not- all but one of the contestants will be voted out, after all, even though they're all qualified to enter and all have the "pretty girl looks good in bikini and sounds vaguely idealistic and virtuous" requirement nailed down.

In which case who wins wouldn't depend on whether Miss Universe's sponsors are ready for a transgender candidate, although it'd be impossible to prove that.

If she loses, I'd be hesitant about assuming bigotry as the only reason she loses, though.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Rules changes on the horizon.
(CBS/AP) Miss Universe beauty pageant officials have changed a rule allowing transgender women to participate in the pageant.

Pageant officials said they are working on the language of the official rule policy change but expected final word to come soon. The rules will have to be approved by Donald Trump, who runs the Miss Universe Organization, and NBC. Trump and NBC co-own the contest.

The announcement of the policy change comes a week after the organization decided to allow Jenna Talackova to compete for Canada's spot in the Miss Universe pageant this year.

Talackova, a Vancouver resident, underwent a sex change four years ago after being born a male. The advocacy group GLAAD called on the Miss Universe Organization to review her case, as well as open the competition to transgender women, after she was disqualified from competing in the Miss Universe Canada contest next month.

"We want to give credit where credit is due, and the decision to include transgender women in our beauty competitions is a result of our ongoing discussions with GLAAD," said Paula Shugart, president of the Miss Universe Organization. "We have a long history of supporting equality for all women, and this was something we took very seriously."
Don't fuck this up like one of your wigs Donny.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
RIPP_n_WIPE
Jedi Knight

Post by RIPP_n_WIPE »

You know it's funny but after reading the posts in this thread and doing some independent research on my own regarding genetics (ironically lead me to voles? who'd of thunk it :? ) I now completely do not care if a woman or man is transgender or not. It completely does not bother me. Now while my personal sexual preferences aren't going to change too much (more because I really really hate fake boobs) I honestly don't think that I would really have a problem having sex with a transgender woman who fell in line with my normal preferences for females, especially if the change was good enough to result in self lubrication (and somehow not shitty fake boobs).

I am the hammer, I am the right hand of my Lord. The instrument of His will and the gauntlet about His fist. The tip of His spear, the edge of His sword. I am His wrath just as he is my shield. I am the bane of His foes and the woe of the treacherous. I am the end.

-Ravus Ordo Militis

"Fear and ignorance claim the unwary and the incomplete. The wise man may flinch away from their embrace if he girds his soul with the armour of contempt."
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Update:
Dailymail wrote: Transgender Miss Universe contestant takes to the stage for bikini and evening gown rounds at pageant

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 00:02 EST, 18 May 2012 | UPDATED: 02:20 EST, 18 May 2012

The Miss Universe Canada pageant saw its first-ever transgender contestant take to the stage last night.

Jenna Talackova, 23, was among 62 other women competing for the coveted crown tonight at the Bluma Appel Theatre in Toronto.

Miss Talackova, from Vancouver, who was born a man but underwent sex-change surgery four years ago, took part in the swimwear and evening gown rounds tonight in front of a panel of 15 judges.

The panel includes designers Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan of HGTV's Home Heist, The Kennedys actress Kristin Booth and singer Kreesha Turner. The winner will be crowned on Saturday.

Ms Talackova, who had sexual reassignment surgery at the age of 19, sparked a heated gender debate in March after she was thrown out of the competition.

She had already reached the finals of the Miss Vancouver pageant before officials stepped in and banned her from the competition for being born male after it was claimed she lied on her application about her natural-born gender.

The only requirement stated on the Miss Universe Canada website is that to enter, women must be a Canadian citizen and between the ages of 18 and 27.

The application form makes no mention of rules regarding sexual reassignment surgery.

LGBT activists claimed the organisation was being discriminatory, and more than 20,000 people signed a virtual petition on Change.org demanding that she be re-instated.

Her case was taken on by celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred who is famous for representing clients including a string of Tiger Woods' ex-lovers and Nicole Brown Simpson's family during the O.J. Simpson trial.

Soon after the Trump Organization changed its policy, saying that pageant rules had 'been modernized to ensure this type of issue does not occur again'.
The 6'1" blonde says that she has her family's full support, and 14 relatives flew to Toronto to see her compete last night.

Making her case for the crown, she said the pageant isn't only about outer beauty: 'It’s also a competition of health, fitness and charisma and those are all three things I possess.'
Seems it worked out.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.