Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

Post by Dalton »

He also stuck up for Ellen Degeneres during the One Million Moms Macy's boycott. Fact of the matter is that Fox has been undergoing a slight paradigm shift lately (either Murdoch or Ailes ordered it IIRC), presumably because the far right has been going fucking nuts.

Slight shift.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

A lot of conservatives who inhabit more liberal parts of the country (people like myself) generally don't have the hangups with transgender issues that you see in more conservative parts of the country, because we've actually had positive experiences interacting with people for whom gender isn't a binary issue.

Education, familiarity, and love will always change minds and hearts.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

I watched the clip. Surprisingly, Billo doesn't sound sarcastic. Good for him, I guess. He does have a habit of being a douchebag 99% of the time (though merely a douchebag, not a total psycho) then randomly saying something sensible that you would never attribute to him.

Also, this thread needs more pictures. For uh, scientific purposes.
Spoiler
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

if she's competeing after all, should the title be changed?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

madd0ct0r wrote:if she's competeing after all, should the title be changed?
They're still a bunch of transphobic fucks - all that's changed is that they caved in after massive pressure.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Can anyone verify the rumor in the works now is that they're changing the rules so that you must be totally surgically unmodified (breast implants etc.) in order to compete in the competition for the next one as a way of circumventing this?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Todeswind wrote:Can anyone verify the rumor in the works now is that they're changing the rules so that you must be totally surgically unmodified (breast implants etc.) in order to compete in the competition for the next one as a way of circumventing this?
No idea whether that's true, but i think it rather unlikely, given that this would also exclude a large number of ciswomen from the contest*.

Whether that would actually exclude transwomen from the contest is however debatable. It's in fact quite possible for a transwoman to have large breasts naturally, without surgery - rarer than amongst ciswomen, but it still happens, especially in early transitioners or those with partial androgen insensitivity.

There is of course a possible double-bind - transwomen in Canada can only have the sex on their birth certificate changed after SRS, and SRS falls under "surgical alteration". So those transwomen without SRS can't compete because they are still legally men, and those with SRS can'T because they had "surgical alteration".
However, this would just further show what transphobic fucks those people are, because SRS isn't really vanity surgery, like most breast implants - it's restorative surgery (just like plastic surgery for those with other birth defects). Nor does it actually affect the recipients looks in any way (when clothed, at least), not granting them an unfair advantage over the other participants.

*Cis=opposite of trans. A person born with the sex of the gender they identify with="normal", non-transsexual people
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Serafina wrote:
spaceviking wrote:Well there is always going to be someone with an advantage, the important thing is how someone attains an advantage. If a Olympic weightlifter had twice the testosterone of a normal man (and somehow was not dead) but took no steroids, he would not be cheating. If an Olympic weightlifter who had less testosterone than a normal man took testosterone to be on par with his competitors he would be cheating.

Though I may be off base because we are talking about beauty and not performance.
Unless i am severely mistaken, transmen are actually allowed to take testosterone and compete in professional sports (where they are allowed to compete at all). The reason is quite simply that it doesn't grant them an unfair advantage, which is the whole reason cheating in competitions is bad. And of course they also have a medical condition that requires them to take it.
This applies to cismen, too - Lance Armstrong is allowed to take testosterone while competing because his body no longer produces it natural (that is a side effect of testicle cancer and treatment for same). He is monitored to make sure he is not taking unfair levels of it. He has a medical reason so the hormones are therapeutic.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Ok, I get were "trans" comes from but whats the origin of "cis"?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Apparently, it's the actual opposite prefix of "trans" that was falling out of use and seldom heard or seen until resurrected by the transgender folks.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's not falling out of use in biochemistry, but in the rest of the population, yeah it's Latin, so it doesn't get used so much.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Aaron MkII wrote:Ok, I get were "trans" comes from but whats the origin of "cis"?
It's less awkward than saying "non-transsexual" or "normal" all the time. Just like you say "straight" instead of "non-homosexual". It's a term only used when comparing trans- and cissexual people in some way - but then again i don't use "transsexual" for fun either, i only use it when it actually matters that the person in question is trans.

As for etymology, it's the opposite on trans (which means "across"/on the opposite side) and means "on the same side side". And yeah, it's latin :wink:

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

"Cisalpine Gaul" was the part of Gaul on the Italian side of the Alps, for example- "Transalpine Gaul" was what we now know as France.

The "trans-this" usage remained common to describe territories in European languages up to the 19th and early 20th centuries: consider "Transoxiana" (modern Uzbekistan, more or less) or "Trans-Jordan" (what is now Jordan). "Cis-this" stopped being used, mostly.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Serafina wrote:
Todeswind wrote:Can anyone verify the rumor in the works now is that they're changing the rules so that you must be totally surgically unmodified (breast implants etc.) in order to compete in the competition for the next one as a way of circumventing this?
No idea whether that's true, but i think it rather unlikely, given that this would also exclude a large number of ciswomen from the contest*.

Whether that would actually exclude transwomen from the contest is however debatable. It's in fact quite possible for a transwoman to have large breasts naturally, without surgery - rarer than amongst ciswomen, but it still happens, especially in early transitioners or those with partial androgen insensitivity.

There is of course a possible double-bind - transwomen in Canada can only have the sex on their birth certificate changed after SRS, and SRS falls under "surgical alteration". So those transwomen without SRS can't compete because they are still legally men, and those with SRS can'T because they had "surgical alteration".
However, this would just further show what transphobic fucks those people are, because SRS isn't really vanity surgery, like most breast implants - it's restorative surgery (just like plastic surgery for those with other birth defects). Nor does it actually affect the recipients looks in any way (when clothed, at least), not granting them an unfair advantage over the other participants.

*Cis=opposite of trans. A person born with the sex of the gender they identify with="normal", non-transsexual people
It's an easy out for them though. If they use that route it allows them to cover it under the blanket pretense of promoting "natural beauty." I'm under the impression that they'd already been under pressure to do something to that effect for some time for reasons entirely unrelated to Transexuals.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There are some non-bigotry arguments for it. The big one is the old standby about "promoting unrealistic expectations" of the female figure. The stereotypical fashion model/beauty pageant competitor these days has a stick-figure body with breasts the size of melons, and it's not particularly healthy or desirable to have all women thinking they're supposed to look like that.

So just having physically realistic competitors isn't inherently a wrong thing to do. In this case, it's the motivation that's the issue.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

'Natural Woman' beauty pageants exist, but I'm betting instituting such rules in Miss Universe would probably prohibit 10-15% of the contestants from competing.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I am NOT at all opposed to "natural beauty" pageants.
What i WOULD be opposed to if you define "natural" as "cissexual", or if you interpret SRS-recipients as no longer natural (essentially the same thing). There is no good reason to see SRS as a "beauty surgery" just done in order to look better - it is surgery done to be sexual functional again (just like women who suffer from female gential mutilation have restorative surgery for that), and it does in no way grant you an unfair advantage over other participants in a "natural beauty" contest.

Someone wants to hold a natural beauty pageants where only participants without vanity surgery are allowed? Great idea - just don't exclude transwomen who didn't have any such surgery from it, and don't count SRS as it because there is no reason to do so!

Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

I'm skeptical that a pre-op transsexual would be allowed to enter.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

So how much genetic purity do they demand in these 'perfect woman' contests? Do they disqualify contestants who needed braces as a child, or who wear contacts? Or are they just happy if you can speak in coherent sentences and fill out a bikini? The goal being to highlight the preferred discrimination in the mating choices of the majority of heterosexual males, how shallow are those targets?
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Todeswind wrote:I'm skeptical that a pre-op transsexual would be allowed to enter.
While sadly, you're probably right, it is worth noting that genital surgery is a fairly minor thing in the grand scheme of things and it's really only cisgendered people who make a big deal about it.

HRT does much much more to feminize the body than genital surgery.

In many places, you don't need it to legally change your documents to be seen as female in the eyes of the law.

Plus requiring genital surgery would discriminate against trans people who can't afford it, can't get it for medical reasons, or don't want it.

This is a little ranty, but I'm kind of tired of people assuming that genial surgery is the end-all be-all of transitioning.

EDIT: @Lagmonster, what about ciswomen with AIS? They have XY genetics, but are born and raised female, should they be allowed to compete as well?
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I really don't see that genetics should be an issue. After all, the whole point of this contest is who the person looks, and unless there is a nude appearance section whether they are pre-or post-op trans doesn't matter.

As for the "no cosmetic surgery" rule, again, why should it matter? You are unlikely to enter such a contest without caring a serious amount about how you look, whether you are cis or trans. I suppose you could argue that allowing cosmetic surgery makes it biased to the wealthy, but I don't see the problem with allowing surgery really.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

I'm appalled that this intellectual crucible missed the obvious troll on the contestant's part: hir name!

Jenna Talakhova

Born Walter Talako

Let's try Jenna Talako....say it twice...nope nothing in the way of a subtext there.

So say Jenna Talakhova five times fast.

Sounds like "Genital, lack of a" to me.

S/he picked hir name as a provocation, I'm guessing on purpose because I don't know and will never meet hir. If I had seen a contestant with a name like that, I would have DQ'd them on the name alone! Conversely, I probably wouldn't let a contestant named Seymour Butts compete in Mr. Universe, because the name alone would distract from the contest. But I'm an asshole, so just ignore me.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Count Chocula wrote:I'm appalled that this intellectual crucible missed the obvious troll on the contestant's part: her name!

Jenna Talakhova

Born Walter Talako
You do know that Patronymics are different for different genders right?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Count Chocula wrote: S/he picked hir name as a provocation, I'm guessing on purpose because I don't know and will never meet hir. If I had seen a contestant with a name like that, I would have DQ'd them on the name alone! Conversely, I probably wouldn't let a contestant named Seymour Butts compete in Mr. Universe, because the name alone would distract from the contest. But I'm an asshole, so just ignore me.
Yes, you are an asshole. No, i won't ignore you. If you got to complain about a name that, when said a certain way when you know a certain medical fact about the bearer of that name, it creates a slight pun - then at least use proper pronouns!
Jenna is female. She's a she, not a "s/he". The proper pronoun is "her", not "hir"*

*Hir is a gender-neutral pronoun. It's either used when you want to be gender-correct when referring to a non-specified person (such as "when anyone ask for me, tell hir that i am unavailable" instead of "tell him", because you don't know whether the person asking will be male or female), or when referring to an individual that identifies neither as male nor as female.
Neither is the case here - we know who we are talking about, and Jenna is clearly female and self-identified as such. Chocula tries to cleverly hide the assertion that she is not actually female behind the usage of a politically correct pronoun - in a context where it is not correct at all.
(or he's just a dumb ignoramus who uses a word without knowing what it is used for)

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Serafina wrote:
Count Chocula wrote: S/he picked hir name as a provocation, I'm guessing on purpose because I don't know and will never meet hir. If I had seen a contestant with a name like that, I would have DQ'd them on the name alone! Conversely, I probably wouldn't let a contestant named Seymour Butts compete in Mr. Universe, because the name alone would distract from the contest. But I'm an asshole, so just ignore me.
Yes, you are an asshole. No, i won't ignore you. If you got to complain about a name that, when said a certain way when you know a certain medical fact about the bearer of that name, it creates a slight pun - then at least use proper pronouns!
Jenna is female. She's a she, not a "s/he". The proper pronoun is "her", not "hir"*

*Hir is a gender-neutral pronoun. It's either used when you want to be gender-correct when referring to a non-specified person (such as "when anyone ask for me, tell hir that i am unavailable" instead of "tell him", because you don't know whether the person asking will be male or female), or when referring to an individual that identifies neither as male nor as female.
Neither is the case here - we know who we are talking about, and Jenna is clearly female and self-identified as such. Chocula tries to cleverly hide the assertion that she is not actually female behind the usage of a politically correct pronoun - in a context where it is not correct at all.
(or he's just a dumb ignoramus who uses a word without knowing what it is used for)
He also didn't check the bottom of the barrel thread where that exact joke was already made.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr