Can the Iranian sink a US Carrier Group?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Can the Iranian sink a US Carrier Group?

Post by AndroAsc »

I think a good proportion of Americans would probably agree that war with Iran is inevitable. To clarify my position on America unilaterally attacking the oil rich countries is: - I don't have a problem with it UNLESS we are spending too much more money (costs outweighs the benefits) or if we end up losing big time.

This post addresses the 2nd point. Recently I stumbled across these 2 articles:
http://articles.businessinsider.com/201 ... et-missile
http://www.rense.com/general59/theSunbu ... wesome.htm

The basic premise is that in a doomsday and possibly realistic scenario, the Iranians may be able to wipe out an entire US carrier group. Yes, the unsinkable US aircraft carrier, the pride of US naval superiority may be wiped out in a single skirmish. Oh, yes this sounds like heresy. So I would like to hear the input from those who may be more familiar with modern military technology and hardware. The premise of the scenario is:
1) Russia/China have sold/supplied Iranian with a presumably large number of anti-ship cruise missiles (aka Sunburn missiles).
2) The Persian Gulf is enclosed by land on almost all sides, and the Iranian can move their cruise missile assets into crossfire positions.
3) Once the crossfire is setup, the US carrier group will be spammed with cruise missiles until they sink. Each Sunburn missile carries a 750lb warhead with a speed of Mach 2. One missile can knockout a destroyer. Probably a few will take down a carrier. US anti-missile defenses may not be adequate to deal with such a situation.
4) The US navy has not been tested against this hypothetical cruise missile spam. In the closest analogous battle in modern history during the Falklands war where the Argentinians had 5 Exocets anti-ship cruise missiles, they managed to sink 2 British naval vessels. The Argentians Exocets missiles were sub-sonic and the Sunburn missiles that the Iranian have are super-sonic.

I was personally rather disturbed when I came across these 2 articles. My cynical nature and my opinion that the US military can be overconfident at times, leads me to conclude that it is possible that a US Carrier group may be taken down in the early phase of a war with Iran especially if Iran spams an Alpha Strike of cruise missiles. However, I am not up to date with modern military developments, so maybe the more knowledgeable forumers would offer their 2 cents?
Aasharu
Youngling

Re: Can the Iranian sink a US Carrier Group?

Post by Aasharu »

AndroAsc wrote:To clarify my position on America unilaterally attacking the oil rich countries is: - I don't have a problem with it UNLESS we are spending too much more money (costs outweighs the benefits) or if we end up losing big time.
Really? You see no problems with the idea of America casually violating the sovereignty of another nation for no better reason then to get our hands on more oil?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

AndroAsc wrote:To clarify my position on America unilaterally attacking the oil rich countries is: - I don't have a problem with it UNLESS we are spending too much more money (costs outweighs the benefits) or if we end up losing big time.
The instant you typed this, you guaranteed that this thread will not be about what you want it to be about.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Wasn't this the plot of a bad technothriller?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Rogue 9 wrote:
The instant you typed this, you guaranteed that this thread will not be about what you want it to be about.
Seriously. Can we just HoS this now in a preemptive strike against the coming shitpocalypse? :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Aasharu wrote:
Really? You see no problems with the idea of America casually violating the sovereignty of another nation for no better reason then to get our hands on more oil?
A government has to do what I needs to do to preserve and protect their people. So the American govt has the duty to preserve and protect Americans. If that means invading countries for oil to pre-empt a peak oil scenario, by all means that's fine. That is what nations do. Remember your history lesson?

My concern is when we are spending too much money fighting "unprofitable" wars, or fighting a war that we cannot win easily.
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Can we focus on the technological/military assessment as to whether or not a bunch of Iranians armed with hundreds of anti-ship cruise missiles can take out a carrier group?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AndroAsc wrote:
Aasharu wrote:
A government has to do what I needs to do to preserve and protect their people. So the American govt has the duty to preserve and protect Americans. If that means invading countries for oil to pre-empt a peak oil scenario, by all means that's fine. That is what nations do. Remember your history lesson?

My concern is when we are spending too much money fighting "unprofitable" wars, or fighting a war that we cannot win easily.

:wtf:

AndroAsc wrote:Can we focus on the technological/military assessment as to whether or not a bunch of Iranians armed with hundreds of anti-ship cruise missiles can take out a carrier group?
No, I think we can rather focus on what a sociopathic short-dicked little shit you are.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Can we focus on the technological/military assessment as to whether or not a bunch of Iranians armed with hundreds of anti-ship cruise missiles can take out a carrier group?
No, we can't. We'll focus on the fact that you so casually wave your nationalist dick about and think stupid shit like "War with Iran is inevitable".

But I suppose that war is inevitable if the US decides to keep on being the aggressor.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

This guy has already created another thread where he makes grandiose claims and refuses to back up his claims.

BTW, why is war with Iran "inevitable"?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

weemadando wrote:
No, we can't. We'll focus on the fact that you so casually wave your nationalist dick about and think stupid shit like "War with Iran is inevitable".

But I suppose that war is inevitable if the US decides to keep on being the aggressor.
Have you read your history books? Wars for resources are the NORM not the exception throughout human history. Peak oil is an eventuality that America has to prepare for, and the US being more dependent on fossil fuels that other developed nations (e.g. Eurozone) and so is more susceptible to this eventuality. If I were in charge, I would rather spend that trillion dollars rebuilding our nuclear power industry, investing in off-shore oil extraction and finding a means to get America off it's oil dependency. But it hasn't played out this way. Over a decade ago, Bush and his friends probably thought it would be more cost-effective to invade and control oil-rich countries to ensure the future of this nation. In retrospect that solution was a bad one and has backfired entirely, but it does not negate the fact the job of the govt is to serve its people's interest.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Would not AEW and over the horizon shots from SM-6 negate the advantage Sunburns posses ? They can now afterall be destroyed while cruising relatively slow nearly hundred kilometers away. No need to wait untill they cross the horizon and make that high speed terminal dash.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

bobalot wrote:BTW, why is war with Iran "inevitable"?
This fucking post is about the technical claim that Iranian cruise missile assets can wipe out a US carrier group. I am not here to fuck with you guys on the morality of war or whether or not we will invade Iran. If your brain is as small as your dick, think about this discussion as a hypothetical scenario.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AndroAsc wrote:
weemadando wrote:

Have you read your history books?
Yes, I have. Rather more thoroughly than you have, too.

Back up your claims or face punishment.
AndroAsc wrote:
This fucking post is about the technical claim that Iranian cruise missile assets can wipe out a US carrier group. I am not here to fuck with you guys on the morality of war or whether or not we will invade Iran. If your brain is as small as your dick, think about this discussion as a hypothetical scenario.
No, no. Don't backpedal now.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, I'll take a shot at it.

First of all, the comparison with the Falkland Islands War is not apt in the least. The task force the British sent to the Falklands was not equipped to deal with anti-ship missile attacks; there wasn't an Aegis system among them. It is conceivable that Iran might be able to sink a U.S. carrier, but it isn't likely. Furthermore, they're not out-and-out psychotically insane, so they're not about to try. It would mean the end of the Iranian regime if they did.

That's about all you're likely to get. Enjoy the flamefest.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Sarevok wrote:Would not AEW and over the horizon shots from SM-6 negate the advantage Sunburns posses ? They can now afterall be destroyed while cruising relatively slow nearly hundred kilometers away. No need to wait untill they cross the horizon and make that high speed terminal dash.
I'm not a military expert, but the points raised in there article were the following:
1) The newer cruise missiles that Iranian have are supersonic and would reach their target very quickly. On google maps by a simple visual inspection it seems that the Persian Gulf and the associated seas are at most 200km+ wide. Assuming the US fleet is in the middle of the Gulf (100km offshore), it would take the Sunburn missiles 2.5 min from launch to hit their target.
2) The cruise missiles also fly at a low altitude like 10ft above the ocean. Can American sensors detect them?
3) Finally, there is an issue of quantity. Point defenses might be able to take out a cruise missile, but what happens if Iranian launches a volley of 100 missiles simultaneously?

On a related note, although this is pure speculation. We know for a fact that the Chinese have been developing anti-ship cruise missiles, presumably to use against the US one day. I would also be concerned if the Chinese would give their latest designs to the Iranians for the sake field testing it a proxy war with the US.
Last edited by AndroAsc on 2012-02-11 04:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Given how often Iranian Sunburns come up elsewhere I would love to see some knowledgeable input on them from Skimmer or Shep. While the Op has questionable intent he has piqued my curiosity.

Mods, if it is not too difficult would it be possible to make a split regarding this ? Or should I post a seperate thread for technical discussions on this matter ?
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Sarevok wrote:Given how often Iranian Sunburns come up elsewhere I would love to see some knowledgeable input on them from Skimmer or Shep. While the Op has questionable intent he has piqued my curiosity.

Mods, if it is not too difficult would it be possible to make a split regarding this ? Or should I post a seperate thread for technical discussions on this matter ?
That might be a better idea. It seems that I have attracted the wrong attention.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I really don't know whether Iran could sink a carrier group, but your attitude really makes me wish they could. :roll:

By your reasoning, it'd perfectly fine to invade the US, take all their resources and enslave their population - as long as it's in the interest of whatever nation capable of doing so.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

@AndroAsc

You have to understand cruise missiles are much slower flying a lo-lo flight profile. A Sunburn will not be doing mach 2.0 at 10 feets above sea level. Even if it could do it it will still be detected from above by AEW aircraft. The Americans are working this combo of SM-6 missiles guided by aircraft doing the spotting from what I understand. Could be very effective against low level supersonic threats.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

AndroAsc wrote:Have you read your history books? Wars for resources are the NORM not the exception throughout human history.
This is your evidence that war with Iran is imminent? Grandiose historical claims? We don't live in a mercantile economic world any more. Companies can simply buy the resources they need on the free market.
AndroAsc wrote:Peak oil is an eventuality that America has to prepare for, and the US being more dependent on fossil fuels that other developed nations (e.g. Eurozone) and so is more susceptible to this eventuality.
So? How does this prove your claim that war with Iran is inevitable?
AndroAsc wrote:If I were in charge, I would rather spend that trillion dollars rebuilding our nuclear power industry, investing in off-shore oil extraction and finding a means to get America off it's oil dependency.
Irrelevant to this topic.
AndroAsc wrote:But it hasn't played out this way. Over a decade ago, Bush and his friends probably thought it would be more cost-effective to invade and control oil-rich countries to ensure the future of this nation.
He invaded one country. The cost of that war far outweighed the cost of simply buying the oil. This was known from the beginning of the war by most people. In fact, oil production was crippled for years making your claim that "IT WAS ABOUT THE OILZ LOLZ!!! PEAK OILZ!" even more ridiculous.

EDIT
AndroAsc wrote:
It is an assumption you listed in your post. I'm simply questioning it, douchenozzle. You don't get to respond to my question (above) and then scream at me to not post about it the thread.
Last edited by bobalot on 2012-02-11 04:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

AndroAsc wrote:
weemadando wrote:

Have you read your history books? Wars for resources are the NORM not the exception throughout human history. Peak oil is an eventuality that America has to prepare for, and the US being more dependent on fossil fuels that other developed nations (e.g. Eurozone) and so is more susceptible to this eventuality. If I were in charge, I would rather spend that trillion dollars rebuilding our nuclear power industry, investing in off-shore oil extraction and finding a means to get America off it's oil dependency. But it hasn't played out this way. Over a decade ago, Bush and his friends probably thought it would be more cost-effective to invade and control oil-rich countries to ensure the future of this nation. In retrospect that solution was a bad one and has backfired entirely, but it does not negate the fact the job of the govt is to serve its people's interest.
Pro-tip. If a government was actually interested in serving it's people's interests, then a war with Iran would be about the worst thing to do. I mean, it's not like it's got a shitload of volatile borders. And it's not like there's a shortage of people there to form an even more dedicated insurgency than the Iraq and Afghanistan ones (not to mention creating a situation where you're occupying three adjacent countries and the issues that will cause). Not to mention the spending on that war and occupation and the flow on human costs at home and abroad would be far and away more than the costs of, I don't know, just FUCKING BUYING OIL FROM THEM.

But hey, the US doesn't do business with people. THEY CONQUER PEOPLE..
Last edited by Thanas on 2012-02-11 04:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post deleted
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No more dogpiling in this thread.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kryten
Youngling

Post by Kryten »

Is there any proof that the Iranians even have 'Sunburn' missiles in this kind of quantity?
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

bobalot wrote:This is your evidence that war with Iran is imminent? Grandiose historical claims? We don't live in a mercantile economic world any more. Companies can simply buy the resources they need on the free market.
No you dick. The historical evidence was to point out the fact that invading countries for resources is the norm, and there is no need to sprout your gospel of "OMG it is immoral to invade other countries", cause shit like this happens all the time. See my other post of why I think we should analyze a country's action from an amoral perspective.
bobalot wrote:
AndroAsc wrote:Peak oil is an eventuality that America has to prepare for, and the US being more dependent on fossil fuels that other developed nations (e.g. Eurozone) and so is more susceptible to this eventuality.
So? How does this prove your claim that war with Iran is inevitable?
Because it might motivate the US to find means to ensure a reliable oil supply for the future? You know, like invading a country in the hopes that you can install a govt sympathetic to your cause?
bobalot wrote:
AndroAsc wrote:But it hasn't played out this way. Over a decade ago, Bush and his friends probably thought it would be more cost-effective to invade and control oil-rich countries to ensure the future of this nation.
He invaded one country. The cost of that war far outweighed the cost of simply buying the oil. This was known from the beginning of the war by most people. In fact, oil production was crippled for years making your claim that "IT WAS ABOUT THE OILZ LOLZ!!! PEAK OILZ!" even more ridiculous.
So in other words, invading Iraq for oil was a bad tactical move and a serious fuckup. Yes, I agree with you. So what was your point? If we didn't invade Iraq for oil, what was it for? The War on Terror? Get real dude...