GA judge orders Obama to appear in court over birthers suit

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: GA judge orders Obama to appear in court over birthers s

Post by TimothyC »

LaCroix wrote:Stanley Ann Dunham (November 29, 1942)
Barack Hussein Obama II (August 4, 1961)
She was 18, almost 19. Definitely an adult.
Ah, but the argument (which I AM NOT in agreement with) goes something like this:

Because Obama was not born in the US (FALSE and based on a spurious news report way back dealing with his grandmother being present at the birth or some such), the rule was that to be a citizen, one of the parents had to have been a US citizen and a resident for no less than 5 years after the 14th birthday. If the first fact was true (and it isn't) then the second fact would come into play, and they would be correct.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I really don't think anybody intelligent really pretends this is done out of some real concern for US democracy or that they have a legitimate argument. It is simply because he is black and they hate blacks.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The sort of people who believe this are also automatically biased to assume that any liberal is secretly a fifth columnist out to contaminate America's freedomism with strange and disturbing foreign ways. Claiming that Obama in particular is such a fifth columnist is just a special case of a general principle of refusing to acknowledge the the left can have honorable motives.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

No Obama in court, no ‘birther' ruling
A hearing on whether President Obama should be removed from the November ballot in Georgia ended Thursday without a ruling -- and also without Obama.

The president’s lawyer boycotted the proceeding -- triggered by citizenship challenges brought by a group of so-called “birthers” -- calling it “baseless, costly and unproductive.” Lawyers for the challengers said the president should be held in contempt for not complying with a subpoena.

“This court has authority to take appropriate steps to punish him in contempt,” said state Rep. Mark Hatfield, a Waycross Republican who represents two men from Duluth and Morrow who filed challenges.

Judge Michael Malihi, who recently refused to quash the subpoena summoning Obama, never addressed the request. He cut off another lawyer when he began to complain that Obama’s no-show amounted to “contempt for the judicial branch.”

“I’m not interested in commentary on that, counselor,” Malihi quickly interjected during the hearing, which drew about 80 spectators and members of the media.

Obama’s name is on the November ballot, put there by the Democratic Party under standard practice. The challenges were filed last year with the Secretary of State’s office, which referred them to the State Office of Administrative Hearings. Malihi will now make a recommendation to Secretary of State Brian Kemp. Kemp’s decision can be appealed to a Fulton County judge.

On Thursday, lawyers raised two arguments for why Obama should not be on the ballot. One contended an 1875 Supreme Court opinion says only a “natural born citizen” -- someone born in the U.S. and whose parents were U.S. citizens -- can be president. (Obama’s father, who was from Kenya, was not a U.S. citizen.) The other alleged Obama’s birth, social security and passport records are forgeries.

California lawyer Orly Taitz, a leading proponent of challenges to Obama’s candidacy, made the latter argument. She turned and faced the gallery -- and the TV cameras -- during her opening statement, prompting Malihi to tell her: “Counsel, please address the court.”

During closing arguments, as Taitz began referring to documents that were not in evidence, Malihi pointedly asked, “Counsel, are you testifying?”

Taitz abruptly halted her arguments, took the witness stand and began testifying. Malihi soon cut her off.

The claims raised Thursday have been brought in courts across the country in dozens of cases, all of them dismissed. Obama released his long-form Hawaii birth certificate last year, quieting but not extinguishing the challenges. Malihi’s ruling earlier this month that Obama should appear gave renewed hope to undeterred “birthers” and made Georgia the latest battleground.

Marietta lawyer Melvin Goldstein, who has practiced extensively before the court, called Malihi a “very fair and very reasonable” judge. “But this issue has been adjudicated and then dismissed so many times, I can’t imagine his decision would be contrary to decisions in the other cases.”

On Wednesday, Obama’s lawyer, Michael Jablonski, told Kemp he could end the case by withdrawing his referral of the matter to Malihi, adding he would not participate in the hearing. “It is well established that there is no legitimate issue here,” he wrote.

Kemp, a Republican, said law required him to refer the challenges. “If you and your client choose to suspend your participation ... please understand that you do so at your own peril,” the secretary wrote.

During the hearing, Obama was in Las Vegas giving a speech to UPS employees. Inside the courtroom in Atlanta, almost every available seat was taken -- except for those at the defendant’s table facing the judge.
I wonder if Kemp will use this as an excuse to attempt excluding Obama from the ballot.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I wonder if this is a sign the Republicans are doing badly at the polls- that instead of criticizing Obama's policies and political views, they're criticizing him for his and his father's race. (Let's be honest- would Obama be arousing this much suspicion about his birth, if his father was white?)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

No, and given that this is the south (where they still have issues even if they have made some progress) it's more pronounced.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Honest question.

If he were not seen as a natural born us-citizen at birth, because his mother was like 30 days too young (if I read this old rule correctly, everybody born to a mother of age <19 would not be an natural citizen), but the rule got changed later, so he became a natural citizen - wouldn't it only matter if he fit the rule at the time of his run for presidency? (and I know that birthers would disagree, on principle)

After all, I'm not aware that everybody is only bound to the laws that existed at his birth...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

The answer to this question sums up this entire farce is:

"Would a white president, with similar circumstances as Obama, be getting these sorts of lawsuits?"

I remember people saying (even morons in this forum) saying "LOLZ Just agree to our unreasonable DEMANDS and RELEASE YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE! LOL! That will answer all the questions and end this speculation!!!1!"

So much for that.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

When was Obama first told that he needed to appear in court ?

Because, with the article dated last monday referencing a decision made the previous friday and the hearing on thursday, I'm wondering if he was even given notice that he could make room in his schedule to testify.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Someone needs to start a website tracking the dollar amount wasted by the government dealing with this nonsense. Lawyer cost, court fees, transportation to send people from DC to whatever po'dunk court stupid enough to take up the case, cost of incarceration of that dumbass who went to jail, etc. We can ask the tea baggers if it's worth it to raise taxes to fund this.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
ALF
Redshirt

Post by ALF »

Wicked Pilot wrote:Someone needs to start a website tracking the dollar amount wasted by the government dealing with this nonsense. Lawyer cost, court fees, transportation to send people from DC to whatever po'dunk court stupid enough to take up the case, cost of incarceration of that dumbass who went to jail, etc. We can ask the tea baggers if it's worth it to raise taxes to fund this.
BINGO!
Exactly my sentiments. Well said.
ALF
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Sidewinder wrote:I wonder if this is a sign the Republicans are doing badly at the polls- that instead of criticizing Obama's policies and political views, they're criticizing him for his and his father's race. (Let's be honest- would Obama be arousing this much suspicion about his birth, if his father was white?)
No, but it's apparently part of the modern Republican party's MO to dig up any shit they can fling at a Democratic president, see Clinton.

That they're taking this angle means nothing even remotely reasonable is sticking. If he was white they'd probably be trying to make hay out of the ACORN non-scandle.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Wicked Pilot wrote:Someone needs to start a website tracking the dollar amount wasted by the government dealing with this nonsense. Lawyer cost, court fees, transportation to send people from DC to whatever po'dunk court stupid enough to take up the case, cost of incarceration of that dumbass who went to jail, etc. We can ask the tea baggers if it's worth it to raise taxes to fund this.
Dude! Welcome back!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Obama has executive privilege, so he can tell this judge to fuck off and die if he wants to.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw