GA judge orders Obama to appear in court over birthers suit

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

GA judge orders Obama to appear in court over birthers suit

Post by Joe Momma »

Georgia judge orders President Obama to appear in court over 'birthers' suit
A Georgia judge has ordered President Barack Obama to appear in court in Atlanta Thursday for a hearing on a complaint that says Obama isn’t a natural-born citizen and can’t be president.

Orly Taitz, the California attorney who brought the legal challenge to Obama’s name on the March Georgia presidential primary ballot, says this is what she has been working for over the last three years.

“This will be 100 times bigger than Watergate,” she said Saturday morning, referring to the scandal that brought down President Richard Nixon in 1974.

“There are high ranking judges and federal officials who are involved in this cover up. The ramifications of this trial will be enormous.”

Taitz said she expects the president’s legal team to fight his appearance in the Georgia court.

“But he’s in a catch-22,” she said. “If he is appealing this decision, then he looks guilty. The whole nation understands this man is a fraud.”

Taitz has led the “Birther” movement that insists Obama is not a natural-born U.S. citizen. She is also familiar to Georgia courts.
A Georgia resident made the complaint, which is intended to keep Obama’s name off the state’s ballot in the March presidential primary.
The hearing is set for Thursday before an administrative judge. Deputy Chief Judge Michael Malihi on Friday denied a motion by the president’s lawyer to quash a subpoena that requires Obama to show up.
I'd totally forgotten this was still being pressed in the court system...
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: GA judge orders Obama to appear in court over birthers s

Post by Sidewinder »

Obama's mother is a natural-born American citizen, so doesn't that mean Obama inherited her nationality, and is an American citizen, according to international law?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Sidewinder wrote:Obama's mother is a natural-born American citizen, so doesn't that mean Obama inherited her nationality, and is an American citizen, according to international law?
Sure, if you let little things like "facts" and "logic" get in the way of Orly Taitz's stupidity.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

OK, first I'm not a birther; I'm satisfied that Obama was born in Hawaii. But the thing the Birthers are talking about is this
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
Article 2 of the US constitution. Qualifications for the Presidency. The most common reading is that Natural Born citizen means born in the US. Although quite a few people include areas under the jurisdiction of the US like Military bases (McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone for instance, but since it was administered by the US at his birth most people just call that sufficient.) If President Obama were not however born in the US, then he would be ineligible for the Presidency which is what the birthers believe.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Orly Taitz, having failed in other courts, needed to shop around? Isn't this like, total bullshit?

EDIT:

Never mind, it's someone else getting involved in this bullshit and she's just just getting press because of name recognition.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Gerald Tarrant wrote:OK, first I'm not a birther; I'm satisfied that Obama was born in Hawaii. But the thing the Birthers are talking about is this
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
Article 2 of the US constitution. Qualifications for the Presidency. The most common reading is that Natural Born citizen means born in the US. Although quite a few people include areas under the jurisdiction of the US like Military bases (McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone for instance, but since it was administered by the US at his birth most people just call that sufficient.) If President Obama were not however born in the US, then he would be ineligible for the Presidency which is what the birthers believe.
Did you even read the thing in full? It says Citizen of the United States. Obama is a citizen of the United States.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

PainRack wrote:
Gerald Tarrant wrote:OK, first I'm not a birther; I'm satisfied that Obama was born in Hawaii. But the thing the Birthers are talking about is this
Did you even read the thing in full? It says Citizen of the United States. Obama is a citizen of the United States.
It says a "Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution". This was to allow for those who were citizens of the new nation to be elected President, since at the time it was ratified, it was impossible for anyone to have been born a citizen and be over 35.
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

PainRack wrote:Did you even read the thing in full? It says Citizen of the United States. Obama is a citizen of the United States.
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;
The second provision was obviously put there so that they could have a president in the first place, what with there being no natural born citizens eligible at the time of the formation of the country. If being a citizen was all that was required, why specify natural born citizen in the first case and then any citizen in the second?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

No, a natural born citizen does not have to be born on US soil. See here. This argument is still based on making up bullshit about what laws say.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The reason the issue persist despite Obama's mother being a citizen is because of her age. She was either 17 or 18 when Obama was born, and at the time he was born the legal definition of 'natural born' required at least one parent who was a citizen and had resided in the United States as an adult for two years. She wasn't old enough to have been in the US as an adult.

Its an odd interpretation, but its their argument.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lets say Obama does testify. Is there any way he could give a honest answer to any relevant question that isn't some variation of "I don't remember" ?
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:The reason the issue persist despite Obama's mother being a citizen is because of her age. She was either 17 or 18 when Obama was born, and at the time he was born the legal definition of 'natural born' required at least one parent who was a citizen and had resided in the United States as an adult for two years. She wasn't old enough to have been in the US as an adult.

Its an odd interpretation, but its their argument.
If that's true, then they're full of shit. Obama is a natural born citizen because he was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1961. Whatever their argument about Obama's mother may be, he was still unquestionably born on US soil.

bilateralrope wrote:Lets say Obama does testify. Is there any way he could give a honest answer to any relevant question that isn't some variation of "I don't remember" ?
He can present evidence, like this.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Stanley Ann Dunham (November 29, 1942)
Barack Hussein Obama II (August 4, 1961)
She was 18, almost 19. Definitely an adult.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The reason the issue persists is because some crazies need something to hang on. First it was the birth certificate, then said birth certificate was not long enough*, then said long form was a forgery, then his mother was not an adult. In a few months it will be that his father was not really his father but that his mother cheated on him and that Barack was actually the child of an affair with an illegal chinese dockworker.

*This is for people who do not recognize a play on words.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Why won't this concept just die? Honestly I remember when this started in 2009.
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

Darth Yan wrote:Why won't this concept just die? Honestly I remember when this started in 2009.
For the same reason that 9/11 conspiracy theories and Moon Landing denialism have not died. These ideas will exist for as long as there are idiots who are willing to believe them.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Too much effort went into spreading the idea around the far right back in 2008-09. Conspiracy theories are bad enough when there aren't any big organizations going wink-wink-nudge-nudge to get them started. This one had that going for it, so it's practically invincible now.

It's part of the price of propaganda-oriented media networks.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Ladies and gentleman: this level of stupidity is why I consider myself an adopted Washingtonian and refuse to capitalize georgia. I feel I should remind people periodically that the place is a corrupt and racist shithole full of imbeciles who would revert to cannibalism if left to their own devices. This idiot for instance represents my former congressional district.

That all being said, of course this stupid shit is going to come out of there. Of course they're not going to drop the issue even when proven completely wrong; I refer you to both the theory of evolution and the Civil War. To hell with georgia.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Mayabird wrote:This idiot for instance represents my former congressional district.
Broun is on the Comittee on Science and Technology?

Holy shit.

AMERICA!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes.

I think that's a good illustration of why the Republican Party of today is simply not the party of Eisenhower-style technocratic management. Their stance on a given technology-related issue will usually come from either picking whatever gets them the most funding among their donors, the most traction from the drunken hick vote, or failing that by throwing darts at a board to pick "yes," "no," "maybe," or "it's a conspiracy" at random.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

While I support the notion that Obama does not deserve to be president, that is based on his actions, not his birth or skin colour.

In other words, the judge is full of shit and she is wasting the time and money of everyone involved. But hell, at least one judge is not afraid to go against Obama! :roll:
Simon_Jester wrote:I think that's a good illustration of why the Republican Party of today is simply not the party of Eisenhower-style technocratic management. Their stance on a given technology-related issue will usually come from either picking whatever gets them the most funding among their donors, the most traction from the drunken hick vote, or failing that by throwing darts at a board to pick "yes," "no," "maybe," or "it's a conspiracy" at random.
The party has mutated into an environment that sadly still supports them even though they are not adaptable or have a versatile diet. This is ironically further proof of evolution at work, and completely retarded and ultimately detrimental selection pressures are still selection pressures.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

LaCroix wrote:Stanley Ann Dunham (November 29, 1942)
Barack Hussein Obama II (August 4, 1961)
She was 18, almost 19. Definitely an adult.
r
Yes, but the requirement was for her to be an adult for X years, or something or another that she wasn't
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Just out of curiosity, is there anything preventing Obama from telling this judge to go fuck himself with a rake after having a couple of Secret Service agent beat Taitz about the head with a rolled up copy of his birth cert? Or failing that just telling the Judge to piss off? I mean, for fuck's sake, he's got better things to do than responding to some dipshit judge in Atlanta about retarded birther bullshit.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there anything preventing Obama from telling this judge to go fuck himself with a rake after having a couple of Secret Service agent beat Taitz about the head with a rolled up copy of his birth cert? Or failing that just telling the Judge to piss off? I mean, for fuck's sake, he's got better things to do than responding to some dipshit judge in Atlanta about retarded birther bullshit.
Wouldn't that be some sort of offence?

I'm surprised that the judge didn't throw the case out.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

VarrusTheEthical wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:Lets say Obama does testify. Is there any way he could give a honest answer to any relevant question that isn't some variation of "I don't remember" ?
He can present evidence, like this.
His lawyers can present it without needing Obama to appear in court and Obama can't say anything about its authenticity other than saying that someone else told him it's authentic. Wouldn't that count as hearsay and thus be inadmissible ?

What I'm getting at is that, even if the birthers had a case that needed answering, Obama's testimony will be completely useless.