Ron Paul thinks the Bible dictates Monetary Policy

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ron Paul thinks the Bible dictates Monetary Policy

Post by Stark »

Mayabird wrote:Through whatever convoluted logic, interpretation, and translation, you can make the Bible say absolutely anything at all that you want, and it has thus been used to justify pretty much everything.

Remember the bible code shit a decade ago? Using carefully crafted rules, you can make the text of the bible produce literally anything you want, and have people believe it. I had to carefully explain to my girlfriend why some formula producing the words 'trade centre' and 'airplane' and then one million random letters isn't some kind of magical prediction.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Stark wrote:
Mayabird wrote:Through whatever convoluted logic, interpretation, and translation, you can make the Bible say absolutely anything at all that you want, and it has thus been used to justify pretty much everything.

Remember the bible code shit a decade ago? Using carefully crafted rules, you can make the text of the bible produce literally anything you want, and have people believe it. I had to carefully explain to my girlfriend why some formula producing the words 'trade centre' and 'airplane' and then one million random letters isn't some kind of magical prediction.
Replace girlfriend with parents and I had the same situation. Cue lots of facepalms between me and my brother.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think for most people there's a point past which you just stop caring what Ron Paul claims to be thinking. Sure, you can go to the trouble of figuring out explanations for all the crazy things coming out of his mouth.

He's not really for creationism, he's just saying X.

He's not really profiteering from race hatred, he's just doing Y.

He's not really in favor of this, that, and the other thing, he's just saying Z to get elected.

I have a low tolerance for this sort of thing, though. As a rule, I figure a politician will always try to look better at face value than he really is. He'd be a fool not to. If the politician is competent, they will succeed. Obama, for example, makes a point of looking good on paper even when he doesn't look good in practice. He's a competent politician.

And if Ron Paul's competent, then all the horrible things coming out of his mouth are actually less bad than the reality of Ron Paul in office would be. In which case I don't want him anywhere near the Oval Office, and I don't care what the rationalization du jour is for the Ron Paul Madness of the Week.
What pisses me far than Ron Paul (and his retarded ideas) are his sheep-like supporters, who come up with these rationalisations.

Dear Leader Ron Paul can do no wrong!

Dear Leader Ron Paul is going to save America!

Dear Leader Ron Paul would never implement those horrific policies he once expressed support for!

Dear Leader Ron Paul didn't know about those newsletters with his name and signature on them!

How more much cultish can you get?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

Is it too much to assume this liturgy of PC whining is leading to a constructive point? Is anyone truly surprised? Has anyone not already recognized Ron Paul is bottom-of-the barrel and then some? Is the candidate standing for the Constitution, ending war, and fiscal restraint in the next post?

No, wait, I can see the writing on the wall. Some don't want to win, so they don't have to fight, and everyone gets a chance to wash their hands of failure in pretenses of victory handed to them.

Evolution works by diverse critters having the right stuff at the right place at the right time by mutation or standing design.

And when they don't, Nature retires them and calls them home.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

^Err. What?
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Brock has decided to either go all-out on affecting Ron Paul support for the sake of wasting people's time, or he has taken a very deep draught of Ron Paul Kool-Aid. I can't decide which is worst.

But basically, he's rambling vaguely about how it's really important to fight for the Constitution by voting Ron Paul. It's been pointed out to him that Ron Paul isn't really for "the Constitution," just for his own random bullshit which he happens to call the Constitution, and for a few things that coincidentally line up with some of the wishes of a certain chunk of people on the left. He just doesn't care.

So that was supposed to be a denunciation of people who criticize Ron Paul. Or that's my guess.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

You either have been dealing with him for way too long or you're way better at reading gibberish because I could not understand what he was even typing. Either way, I think it's a pretty good sign of how far off the deep end he's gone if the other major Ron Paul supporter here (me) thinks he's babbling complete nonsense.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It makes more sense if you've watched him descend into babbling idiocy over on the other thread where he advocates Ron Paul. Basically, on that thread, he started off with this really dramatic "Ron Paul is the last hope for constitutional government in America!" And people kept pointing out that no, he's not, that his own actions and policies could endanger constitutional government in ways Brock hadn't thought of, that the rights violations we know Paul would prevent are small compared to the ones he'd create, and so on.

And Brock just kept getting more and more histrionic about how the Constitution is important and being pissed on and how most people are just afraid to admit it, see the light, and vote Ron Paul.

This isn't actually out of place compared to what he's saying in that other thread. It's just what happens when you take a bad argument for voting Ron Paul, and distill it to its logical endpoint. Which in my opinion speaks poorly for Paul- you don't see people falling back on this kind of bizarre obfuscation to get people to vote Obama, or Romney, or even Newt Gingrich.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I deliberately refused to watch because one of the first phrases I saw were "New World Order." That was a signal for my eyes to glaze over and stop reading.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

There appear to be a substantially more pro-Ron Paul items on the internet than are presented on this forum. I should take time to post them all, but concede to laziness at chasing and cleaning up after the hate-Paul bandwagon.

1. Ron Paul is Anti-War and no chickenhawk. When he was drafted, Ron Paul had a wife and two kids, and he went, serving as a flight surgeon from 1963-65 in the USAF.

Ron Paul is against wars of choice, whether Iraq, Afghnistan, or Iran or the American people themselves via the so-called war on drugs and would legalize marijuana and very likely disband the TSA. Maybe he knows something of the sacrifice service to the country really is even when you're not the one doing the bleeding and dying, physically or figuratively.

Ron Paul: ... I think it’s much worse because kids today have an easier time finding marijuana than they can alcohol. And how many cases of drug addiction were prevented by the laws? Do the laws really do it? Would putting you in prison for about 5 years, do you think that would have helped you? Would that have cured you? No, this is a medical problem, it’s not a legal problem. You shouldn’t be a criminal because you have a problem with drugs. So I just don’t think putting you in prison would have been helpful at all.
Link: http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-06-23/ron-p ... ition-now/

2. Ron Paul want to end he Fed and the fiscal abuses that came with it. He won't mind prosecuting the banksters and having America live within realistic financial means. He does mind the attitude of entitlement the wealthy elite have towards taking the taxpayer's money.

At this point, I don't care what holy books Ron Paul quotes to excuse balancing the budget.

3. Ron Paul has fought for the Bill of Rights and Constitution for decades. From these documents come come womens and minority rights, not the indulgence of the faux liberal elite hiding behind politically correct facades while they do very politically incorrect things to people of race and different religion abroad.

Gitmo and the NDAA and FISA and a host of other arbitrary measures do not square with these documents or Ron Paul.

On racism, Ron Paul had this to say:
"True racism in this country is in the judicial system," he said in his counterattack to the ABC News panelist at the New Hampshire debate. "And it has to do with enforcing the drug laws.

"Look at the percentages. The percentages of people who use drugs are about the same with blacks and whites. And yet the blacks are arrested way disproportionately. They're prosecuted and imprisoned way disproportionately. They get the death penalty way disproportionately.

"How many times have you seen a white rich person get the electric chair or get, you know, execution?"
Link: http://www.theroot.com/views/ron-paul-t ... cism-issue

Nobody on the right challenges institutional racism, and few enough on the left, and never from so high a platform. America can be a puking racist country at times, and the while veneer of civilization isn't thinnest at the top, its thick, brittle, cracked and worn.

Ron Paul is no more or less racist than the majority of Americans and his reactions to the accusations reflect both embarrassment for the incompetence and annoyance at the hypocrisy o some of his accusers, and he has said he is not a racist. Claims that he wants to back-door racism through states rights make no sense to me at all and seem to be really reaching, coming as it is in de-facto defense of violent Islaomophobia, which is what dumping on the only candidate in favour of ending wars amounts to.

4. Ron Paul is no friend of the corporations. He has supported the Health Freedom Protection Act, which makes alternatives to conventional medicine available to those who would seek it.
"The Health Freedom Protection Act will force the FDA to at last comply with the commands of Congress, the First Amendment, and the American people by codifying the First Amendment standards adopted by the federal courts. Specifically, the Health Freedom Protection Act stops the FDA from censoring truthful claims about the curative, mitigative, or preventative effects of dietary supplements, and adopts the federal court's suggested use of disclaimers as an alternative to censorship. The Health Freedom Protection Act also stops the FDA from prohibiting the distribution of scientific articles and publications regarding the role of nutrients in protecting against disease."
If he says the EPA is flawed and may have to go - I believe him. If alternative medicine works but screws big pharma, that's not my problem.

5. I concede and withdraw any statements made about Ron Paul being bottom of the barrel. I believe I was was just catering to the audience, and am ashamed of doing so. I would apologize to Ron Paul for making that claim for spurious and dishonourable reasons.

The more I search for the truth on Ron Paul himself, the more I tend to like what I find even with all the bad stuff. As far as politicians go, he's got integrity enough for the high office and his only flaw seems to be lacking the teams of handlers other candidates have to shape their image.

If this forum is to become nothing but a place to run attack ads on political candidates, then I don't belong here for now, my own attacks on Obama, however heartfelt, notwithstanding. Its far less taxing to sit back and watch the dark art of defamation play out than try and get in its way.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

If he says the EPA is flawed and may have to go - I believe him.
You just BLINDLY believe him?
No home work? No looking into it?
no looking at alternatives? He says it needs to go, thats good enough for you?

Can you see why people call you a "Mindless" Paul Drone?
If alternative medicine works but screws big pharma, that's not my problem.
*ahems* Alternative medicine DOESN"T Work..

I won't bother with any of the rest of your reply, others will do that far better than I.
Really those two above statements, on their own, should single candidly prove to anyone you really have no functioning concept of questioning or thinking for yourself. You happily swallow any tripe fed to you because its Ron Paul doing the feeding.

If you can not see why saying "If he says the EPA is flawed and may have to go - I believe him.' Is so fundamentally wrong and makes you the center of scorn, ridicule and open mockery, then truly you are beyond hope.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Panzersharkcat wrote:You either have been dealing with him for way too long or you're way better at reading gibberish because I could not understand what he was even typing. Either way, I think it's a pretty good sign of how far off the deep end he's gone if the other major Ron Paul supporter here (me) thinks he's babbling complete nonsense.
Seconded here. I literally have no idea what he is talking about.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Panzersharkcat wrote:I deliberately refused to watch because one of the first phrases I saw were "New World Order." That was a signal for my eyes to glaze over and stop reading.
Smart fellow!
General Brock wrote:1. Ron Paul is Anti-War and no chickenhawk. When he was drafted, Ron Paul had a wife and two kids, and he went, serving as a flight surgeon from 1963-65 in the USAF.
So what?
Ron Paul is against wars of choice, whether Iraq, Afghnistan, or Iran or the American people themselves via the so-called war on drugs and would legalize marijuana and very likely disband the TSA. Maybe he knows something of the sacrifice service to the country really is even when you're not the one doing the bleeding and dying, physically or figuratively.
This is pretty much his only selling point. It is not enough. It might be enough if by electing Ron Paul we could somehow retroactively undo the costs of all those wars, but we cannot. And the war on drugs, in particular, is popular; Paul will have a difficult time convincing law and order politicians that it should end.
2. Ron Paul want to end he Fed and the fiscal abuses that came with it. He won't mind prosecuting the banksters and having America live within realistic financial means. He does mind the attitude of entitlement the wealthy elite have towards taking the taxpayer's money.

At this point, I don't care what holy books Ron Paul quotes to excuse balancing the budget.
Blowing up the Fed will cause an immediate round of economic chaos in the US. This is a reason to vote against him. His opposition to bailouts would be nice, except that he's opposed to bailouts because he's opposed to practically all state spending. Since we need welfare to keep the poor from storming the Bastille, that's not good at a time like this. Indeed, it is incredibly bad.
3. Ron Paul has fought for the Bill of Rights and Constitution for decades. From these documents come come womens and minority rights, not the indulgence of the faux liberal elite hiding behind politically correct facades while they do very politically incorrect things to people of race and different religion abroad.
Ron Paul has also fought against women's and minority rights for decades; his vision of constitutional rights does not match mine, and the fact that we happen to agree on certain points about rights is largely coincidence. Thus, on civil rights, I consider Paul's stance to be a wash- good on some issues, bad on others. The issues he's good on are theoretically more important, but I don't think they're more important in practical reality at the moment, so he gets no points for that.
4. Ron Paul is no friend of the corporations. He has supported the Health Freedom Protection Act, which makes alternatives to conventional medicine available to those who would seek it.
So, Ron Paul is pro-homeopathy and the like? In that case, he's either a credulous fool, or a supporter of cheating snake-oil salesmen. To quote Randall Munroe, "telling someone who trusts you that you're giving them medicine, when you know you're not, because you want their money, isn't just lying- it's like an example you'd make up if you had to illustrate for a child why lying is wrong."

Of course, maybe Ron Paul isn't in favor of homeopathy and other frauds. In which case he wrote HR 2117 very badly, because as far as I can tell it lets anyone market anything and call it medicine for your illness without the FDA being able to treat it as a medicine and regulate it accordingly.

So HR 2117 does not speak well for Ron Paul.
If he says the EPA is flawed and may have to go - I believe him.
Therein lies the rub- you believe that the EPA is flawed because he says so. You have yet to provide any other reason for anyone to believe him, or you.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Simon Jester wrote:Blowing up the Fed will cause an immediate round of economic chaos in the US.
I think you're being too kind here. IMO it will cause a second Great Depression and a knockdown effect of all this will be worldwide chaos (when China goes kaboom because their biggest export partner suddenly explodes). I don't think it's an exaggeration to say people will die because of this. As will they when Ron Paul guts the EPA and other regulatory authorities. His abolition of Medicaid and Medicare will kill people as well. If he eliminates CHIP funding, kids across the US will die because they cannot be insured.

Ron Paul will get people killed. He may do it faster than any Republican yet.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

When he says EPA, it looks like he's actually talking about the FDA. He refers to big pharma, which probably isn't a big part of the EPA's job.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

UnderAGreySky wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:Blowing up the Fed will cause an immediate round of economic chaos in the US.
I think you're being too kind here. IMO it will cause a second Great Depression and a knockdown effect of all this will be worldwide chaos (when China goes kaboom because their biggest export partner suddenly explodes).
The chaos in the US is sufficient to justify opposition to Paul. The worldwide chaos is just gilding the lily.
Stark wrote:When he says EPA, it looks like he's actually talking about the FDA. He refers to big pharma, which probably isn't a big part of the EPA's job.
If anything that's worse; the FDA is a more fundamental regulatory agency, one which is much older and was established long before anything that you could call 'hippie liberalism' or whatever.

Theodore Roosevelt is too socialist for Ron Paul, it seems.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Simon_Jester wrote:Theodore Roosevelt is too socialist for Ron Paul, it seems.
Well yeah. Ron Paul wants to sell off the national parks. Theodore Roosevelt was all about national parks (and national monuments and so forth).
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

I think this accurately sums up why General Brock supports Ron Paul.

Join SDN on Discord
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Maybe so for him. I actually agree with most of those. I'm just too lazy and/or too much a coward to argue about them.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Stark wrote:When he says EPA, it looks like he's actually talking about the FDA. He refers to big pharma, which probably isn't a big part of the EPA's job.
According to his campaign site, Ron Paul does want to eliminate the EPA.
As President, Ron Paul will lead the fight to:

* Remove restrictions on drilling, so companies can tap into the vast amount of oil we have here at home.

* Repeal the federal tax on gasoline. Eliminating the federal gas tax would result in an 18 cents savings per gallon for American consumers.

* Lift government roadblocks to the use of coal and nuclear power.

* Eliminate the ineffective EPA. Polluters should answer directly to property owners in court for the damages they create – not to Washington.

* Make tax credits available for the purchase and production of alternative fuel technologies.
Yay! More mercury in your system!

I won't be surprised if he wants to do the same to the FDA too.

(not meant as an attack on you, Stark)
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Maybe so for him. I actually agree with most of those. I'm just too lazy and/or too much a coward to argue about them.
Yeah, I have noticed your passive-aggressive defence of him in various threads.

I honestly believe there is no defence of his retarded positions, which is why Paulites revert to his mindless talking points.

Join SDN on Discord
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

Simon_Jester wrote:Classically among fundies, the Bible is interpreted to forbid all things not expressly permitted...
And yet they all attend church in purpose-built buildings, which are never mentioned...
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

ZOmegaZ wrote:And yet they all attend church in purpose-built buildings, which are never mentioned...
The Amish generally do not have church buildings, instead holding services in private homes. Of course, the term 'fundamentalist' tends to be associated more with evangelical Mainline Protestant groups and most of these denominations do have church buildings, so the point still stands.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: You just BLINDLY believe him?
No home work? No looking into it?
no looking at alternatives? He says it needs to go, thats good enough for you?

Can you see why people call you a "Mindless" Paul Drone?
Well I actually have years of reading about EPA failures and collusion with industry and environmentalists having to fight the EPA to make it do its job contributing to my frustration. Its endemic in any western country; regulatory agencies don't police conflicts of interests, and therefore their actual regulatory charges, very well. It gets worse and worse every year, it seems, with one step forward preceding two steps back.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

bobalot wrote:I think this accurately sums up why General Brock supports Ron Paul.

(Anti-war)
Well, what's breaking the bank, apart from the banksters? Do you really think all those other programs will survive in their present form just because O-Blam!-Aaaaah will keep raising the debt ceiling? How much longer can that go on anyway? People are hurting and a little scared now, and I don't blame them.

The 1960's and 70's era of protests were almost a luxury; people could afford to protest even when the economy took a bit of a downturn. Today, I'm honestly not sure how many OWS protesters have decent homes and jobs to go back to/look forward to. There have been news stories pointing out that unemployment stats may not include the hopelessly unemployed who just don't count anymore.