114,500 GRT cruise ship capsized in Italy

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: 114,500 GRT cruise ship capsized in Italy

Post by Enigma »

I really don't believe that the cruise company doesn't keep track of the CC or any of its cruise ships. I'm quite sure that each ship has some sort of GPS tracking device so the company would know where each and every ship is at any time. I mean, when you invest hundreds of millions of dollars in cruise ships, wouldn't you want to know where they are at any given time even if you already know the route and schedule?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

This is the ship's course based on the navigation tracking data that some journalists have found and released. She was traveling at 8 knots, the black outline is the size of the ship. It's completely insane, unbelievable, I didn't believe it at first, I'm still not sure I believe it; I cannot believe anyone would intentionally navigate a ship through that, I wouldn't even feel comfortable taking my dad's old 48-foot ketch through that passage and someone took a 1,000-foot cruise liner through it. It's now being reported that divers have found a second 223-foot gash to starboard in addition to the 165-foot gash exposed to port, and that's why she ultimately capsized to starboard. The level of damage to the ship is almost unfathomable, it's more or less the equivalent of a controlled flight into terrain, except impossibly worse because this is a 2-dimensional mode of transport!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

S.L.Acker wrote: That sucks, I was really hoping this would nail them harder than that given the level of poor choices made and that fact that they had another wreck not too far back. Having that level of insurance available really insulates a company from the effects of their shitty choices.
They had an accident earlier, in bad weather while docking, those things will happen. That's not really even on the same page the same as a wrecking, let alone wrecking in the most inept way ever. Companies like that simply could not exist without insurance; hell modern insurance got started in the shipping industry around 400 years ago. Nobody would build tall buildings or operate major oil refineries, or be a doctor in the west without a proportionally similar scale of insurance; its kind of integral to the economy. If you didn't have insurance for cases like this then the alternative could well be nobody can pay period. That isn't such an issue with a big company like this, but it would be for a lot of small cruise ship companies. Anyone who actually was at fault faces a long list of criminal charges in any case.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is that chart labeled in meters or feet?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Meters. Now that the liner has plowed the rocks out of the way that 200ft wide passage should be perfectly safe for the next voyage

"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

The middle of that channel is 10 meters deep but the port and starboard sides would have only been in 6 meters of water. The Costa Concordia draws 8.2 meters. It was physically impossible for her to make that passage without tearing open both port and starboard as the deeper area is too narrow, and absurdly unsafe besides.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

What the fuck happened in the chain of command that no one called bullshit on that. Jesus christ! As Duchess expressed, I'm struggling to believe it.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:It's now being reported that divers have found a second 223-foot gash to starboard in addition to the 165-foot gash exposed to port...
That would explain why the ship sank quite convincingly, after that stunt there simply wasn't anyting left holding her afloat.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The middle of that channel is 10 meters deep but the port and starboard sides would have only been in 6 meters of water. The Costa Concordia draws 8.2 meters. It was physically impossible for her to make that passage without tearing open both port and starboard as the deeper area is too narrow, and absurdly unsafe besides.
Well it is even worse than that since large ships moving in shallow waters tend to drop down even deeper than normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_effect
Although I doubt it would matter much in this case.
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I'm a bit confused, shouldn't the ship have sunk listing away from shore based on that course plot?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Ah, ok I saw the guardian link and it makes it clearer. I don't quite understand still, why did they do a 180 turn to get into the port rather than just going straight in?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The level of damage to the ship is almost unfathomable, it's more or less the equivalent of a controlled flight into terrain, except impossibly worse because this is a 2-dimensional mode of transport!
Well, yeah, if by "controlled flight into terrain" you mean "attempted to fly a B747 under a freeway overpass". If I interpret what you posted correctly, that's about the equivalent, right?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Broomstick wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The level of damage to the ship is almost unfathomable, it's more or less the equivalent of a controlled flight into terrain, except impossibly worse because this is a 2-dimensional mode of transport!
Well, yeah, if by "controlled flight into terrain" you mean "attempted to fly a B747 under a freeway overpass". If I interpret what you posted correctly, that's about the equivalent, right?

Very close to it, yes.

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Do you have a source on that chart? I cross posted to facebook and industry people are asking.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

tim31 wrote:Do you have a source on that chart? I cross posted to facebook and industry people are asking.
http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional- ... pened.html

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

That image was unattributed that I originally posted, but from that professional mariner's forum. They however found an attributed corroborating image:

From Gemitrafik.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

These photos of an AIS or ECDIS screen have emerged on several forums without any attribution:

Quite possibly it's the ship's AIS/ECDIS data run through a simulator to replay what happened.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Janos
Redshirt

Post by Janos »

Gemitrafik has put up some new maps on their facebook page and I think they are saying that their earlier maps are either wrong or unverified. Google Translate mangled the page pretty badly though, so is there somebody here that can read turkish and check that?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

This video may be of some interest. A couple of things:

They interview someone with 30 years experience sailing and local knowledge. Among other things, he shows the rocks show on the charts the Duchess posted, and yes, if he tried to thread that needle he's a fucking idiot. They imply this hazard has been known since the Etruscans[/url], and charted for "decades, if not centuries".

They interview a few people who had been aboard that night, along with some phone footage. It gives a disturbing view of interior, with decks tilting and hordes of passengers in their lifevests ready to evacuate, ready to get in the lifeboats, but being turned back by the crew. Now, it's too easy to armchair quarterback, but it certainly looks like the passengers had a better grasp of the situation than the captain.

A couple of passengers stated that they thought the senior crew were incompetent and said the only crew that seemed to know what the hell to do or that were at all helpful were people like waiters, cooks, and housekeepers. It certainly gives the impression that the passengers are more responsible for the evacuation and high survival rate than the crew were.

It certainly paints a terrifying picture.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I doubt the newest plot maps. The facts of both sides being ripped open would fit the passage run version much better... If he had taken that 'new' course, he would only have had the gash on port, and would probably not have managed to turn over port and manage to get a gash on starboard hull while running on ground while beaching.

It might be, but the "threading" course would fit facts much better...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I suspect people will demand the capital punishment be applied to the captain, for a clusterfuck of this proportion.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

LaCroix wrote:I doubt the newest plot maps. The facts of both sides being ripped open would fit the passage run version much better... If he had taken that 'new' course, he would only have had the gash on port, and would probably not have managed to turn over port and manage to get a gash on starboard hull while running on ground while beaching.
Perhaps, but the starboard damage might have originated from after the first grounding. When they turned the ship around and headed for the bay they also passed shallow waters and could have ripped open that side then.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

CJvR wrote:
LaCroix wrote:I doubt the newest plot maps. The facts of both sides being ripped open would fit the passage run version much better... If he had taken that 'new' course, he would only have had the gash on port, and would probably not have managed to turn over port and manage to get a gash on starboard hull while running on ground while beaching.
Perhaps, but the starboard damage might have originated from after the first grounding. When they turned the ship around and headed for the bay they also passed shallow waters and could have ripped open that side then.
Well, thinking again, it is quite possible that it happened like this:
  1. Ran too close to the shore, hit rock with port side
  2. Impact ripped side open, water intake
  3. Rock got stuck in hull, while breaking it out of the bottom and breaking free, ship made a big jump, listed to starboard.
  4. Water rushed to starboard, balancing ship so that it kept listing to starboard, and saving it from instantly sinking.
  5. Thanking whatever deity he prefers, the person in charge beached the ship, causing the damage on starboard.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Apparently the Captain abandoned ship with over a hundred people left on board, and had to be repeatedly ordered by the Coast Guard to get back on: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/17/po ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Disgusting. Absolutely disgraceful. A Captain is responsible for the safety of his ship and all on board- there's a reason he is always the last to leave a sinking vessel by tradition. This is just...I have no words. If what's been reported about his conduct is accurate, he should be facing charges of manslaughter, negligent homicide, or whatever the Italian equivalent is.

As a side note, well done to the Italian Coast Guard, who seem to have kept their heads when all about them were losing theirs, in the global tradition of Coasties everywhere. Bravo Zulu, guys.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Ghetto edit: The transcript link I posted appears to be a longer and more complete version of what was posted upthread, nothing really new. My apologies, should have read the whole thread first.

Edit to edit: Apparently Italian law specifically makes it a crime for a Captain to leave his ship while there are still passengers on board, punishable by up to 12 years in prison. A most excellent law, in my humble opinion.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS