Jetpack man races planes (video)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Supreme_Warlord
Youngling
Location: East Ham, London, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Jetpack man races planes (video)

Post by Supreme_Warlord »

As the title says

Much as this would be a wonderful thing to have as a means of transport, I would think that the average motorist cannot be trusted to operate one of these and there should be more rigorous training/certification a la airline pilots.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.

Men don't follow titles, they follow courage!

100th post on Wed, 28 Apr, 2004 15:23
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Jetpack man races planes (video)

Post by Starglider »

Supreme_Warlord wrote:Much as this would be a wonderful thing to have as a means of transport
This is a powered wing, it isn't VTOL capable and as such it is even more utterly impractical as a means of transport than a conventional jetpack.
I would think that the average motorist cannot be trusted to operate one of these
The average fighter pilot can't safely fly one of these. It is an very difficult acquired skill.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Anyone else reminded of this?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'm pretty sure it's classified as an ultralight by the FAA, and so legally requires no training. You'd be stupid to try without though. I mean this guy's even had wind tunnel tests.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

you could add a small tail and conventional controls. you could also have a small lightweight airframe around the pilot to reduce drag and hold small landing gear, but then it's just be a jet powered ultralight and not a "jetpack" so the public would lose interest.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

How does he land that thing, anyway?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Beowulf wrote:I'm pretty sure it's classified as an ultralight by the FAA, and so legally requires no training.
Nope, far too fast to fall under the ultralight classification. In the US (do keep in mind this guy is European, and thus under JAA regs) it would fall under one of the experimental classifications and require at least a private pilot's license. Not a big deal in a sense, there are a lot of experimental aircraft in the US. How it all works out in Europe I'm not sure, not being as conversant with their regs as with the US and Canadian ones, but obviously if he's doing it that openly he's satisfied the the JAA.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:How does he land that thing, anyway?
Shuts down the engine and lands under parachute. If you watch the linked video all through through you'll see him do it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Starglider wrote:This is a powered wing, it isn't VTOL capable and as such it is even more utterly impractical as a means of transport than a conventional jetpack.
Would it be feasible, do you suppose, to do a horizontal takeoff with detachable wheels and some roller skates?
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Sriad wrote:Would it be feasible, do you suppose, to do a horizontal takeoff with detachable wheels and some roller skates?
Forget about horizontal takeoff, imagine trying to do a conventional landing. :mrgreen:
Needs moar dakka
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

MrDakka wrote:
Sriad wrote:Would it be feasible, do you suppose, to do a horizontal takeoff with detachable wheels and some roller skates?
Forget about horizontal takeoff, imagine trying to do a conventional landing. :mrgreen:
Perhaps! But the problem of an unassisted landing is already addressed, so a solution for how to take off from the ground is more pressing. If not roller-skates, perhaps the pilot and wing could be electromagnetically attached to the roof of a car... This may also allow an assisted parachuteless landing. ;)
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

it probably has a very limited fuel supply, maybe not even an hours worth. it has to be light enough for him to carry it and absorb it's landing with his legs, and small turbines are as thirsty as early turbojets. a powered takeoff and altitude climb would burn through it quickly.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Give him RATO.

Like so:

Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

maybe one of the bigger model rocket motors?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I don't know but I do know that if you overbalanced or a wheel failed or a crack in the runway was too big you would be looking at high-speed motorcycle crash levels of hurt.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Would probably be easiest to find a nice cliff to jump off. I'm serious.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.