Colonel Gadhafi has been killed

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Colonel Gadhafi has been killed

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, I obviously meant Western elites. It is not like people have a lot of say in their shenanigans.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Barlestone wrote:The decision to intervene in Libya but not in Syria was probably made because of the greater ease of securing diplomatic support for the former, I think. Gaddafi had pissed on Arab nations as well as western ones in the past, so there was Arab League support for at least the initial stages of the intervention. It’s hard to imagine a similar level of support for western intervention in, say, Syria, which would make the diplomatic and PR aspects of such an intervention much more problematic.
Or Yemen, or Bahrain. Both of those countries murdered protestors. Of course Yemen is an ally in the war on terror and we have a naval base in Bahrain so geo-politics trumps morality.
Stas Bush wrote:Subservient, not poor. If the two coincide, so be it. If they diverge, so be it. Power! The king of words. You can be rich or poor, irrelevant, but you have to serve the West. And god forbid you actively fight against the West. Or sponsor IRA.
Subservience doesn't really require poverty in this cases- Libya only has 6.6 million people. Even if it was developed it would only be as powerful as Switzerland. Of course if it was developed we probably couldn't have gotten away with our intervention so there are some obvious differences.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The official Libyan statement is that his ambulance was shot up in a crossfire between NTC troops and Qaddafi loyalists while leaving the area in which he was captured. If you believe that...

That said, I don't doubt it's at least partially true. Sort of like how the Tsar and his wife and children weren't executed until there was some risk of their being liberated by White forces, it's likely enough that there was some Qaddafi loyalist unit in the area launching an attack, so the men guarding the ambulance executed him on their own initiative to keep him from potentially being rescued by his loyalists.
He was captured and killed at least three kilometers west of Sirte in an area which is largely open; Qaddafi loyalists? Not bloody likely. He was almost certainly executed to keep the mob from literally beating him into pulp, as you can see starting in the videos, because at least one person with a gun realized that would look bad and generally be awful. So shoot him and people are no longer so interested in pounding on him. Of course, its also still not even totally clear he really was executed, he had serious wounds even when they pulled him out of the pipe, and being pulled around may have just caused him to die of a brain hemorrhage or something similar.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I fucking knew that people would question just how he died- he got what he deserved, keeping him alive would have accomplished nothing :evil:
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I fucking knew that people would question just how he died- he got what he deserved, keeping him alive would have accomplished nothing :evil:
I wouldn't really mind if some of the rebels ate a tomahawk too. That doesn't make killing any more civil. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I fucking knew that people would question just how he died- he got what he deserved, keeping him alive would have accomplished nothing :evil:
Silly man-child, be quiet. Can't you see adults are trying to talk here?

The new regime in Libya apparently needs to learn that if they're going to commit war crimes, they should make it clear to their soldiers that they should not extensively document the fact that prisoners of war were quite clearly alive, and likely to stay that way, before their captors took it on themselves to murder them. Colonel Gadhafi, and the son of his also killed at Sirte, were very much alive when captured. The elder Gadhafi was certainly well enough that they could frog-march him to an ambulance. The son has been shown to be alive on video; mostly unharmed, smoking a cigarette and drinking from a water bottle . . . only to later turn up having 'mysteriously' died from acute lead poisoning, like his father.

Sure, Gadhafi wasn't a very nice guy, at all. Sure he sponsored terrorism and insurgencies, sure he viciously oppressed all political dissent, and sure he vastly enriched himself and his associates at the expense of his people . . . but I'm not sure being murdered after being taken as a POW is the sort of comeuppance he deserved.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:keeping him alive would have accomplished nothing
Other than the minor issue that we might have got some answers about Lockerbie and WPC Fletcher. :roll:
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Other than the minor issue that we might have got some answers about Lockerbie and WPC Fletcher. :roll:

The honest answer is probably that he was sitting in his tent like a guru stroking an AK and rambling about "destroying the west", so to please him, his security services' chief went off and prepared and had the mission executed. This guy was not exactly sane, and his government seemed to work rather like a personality cult in that regard.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Talking to a Sierra Leonean who I work with, he was positively fucking joyous about Qaddafi being dead. Specifically holds him accountable for many of the ills that befell his country.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Sure, Gadhafi wasn't a very nice guy, at all. Sure he sponsored terrorism and insurgencies, sure he viciously oppressed all political dissent, and sure he vastly enriched himself and his associates at the expense of his people . . . but I'm not sure being murdered after being taken as a POW is the sort of comeuppance he deserved.
He was also captured by what was, essentially, an armed mob, not a military force or other organized group. I doubt there was a strict hierarchy in place that could have kept Gadhafi alive until he could be thrown before a court.
Captain Seafort wrote:
Assuming he went to an international criminal court instead of a Libyan court that may not have done anything about those crimes.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Akhlut wrote:He was also captured by what was, essentially, an armed mob, not a military force or other organized group. I doubt there was a strict hierarchy in place that could have kept Gadhafi alive until he could be thrown before a court.
Is there any proof that he definitely didn't die from... well, being a sixty-year-old man beaten up by said "armed mob"? (On top of the reported gunshot wounds to the legs, his head wound that caused the profuse bleeding, maybe even dangerously low blood pressure from all the blood loss?)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I really appreciated that papers/media in Australia printed warnings about disturbing content and contacts for counselling etc for children disturbed by the Ohio animal story, but ran pictures of Qaddafi being bloodied and beaten by a mob on the front page/flashboards with satisfied, revelling headlines.

Says a lot.
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

are the reports true that he was sodomized?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

ComradeClaus wrote:are the reports true that he was sodomized?
1) Who the hell said this? Anonymous "reports" aren't all that credible.
2) Why do you want to know?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crateria
Padawan Learner

Post by Crateria »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Obvious troll is obvious.
Damn you know it. You so smart you brought up like history and shit. Laying down facts like you was a blues clues episode or something. How you get so smart? Like the puns and shit you use are wicked smart, Red Letter Moron! HAHAHAHAH!1 Fucks that is funny, you like should be on TV with Jeff Dunham and shit.-emersonlakeandbalmer
God is like the strict dad while Satan is the cool uncle who gives you weed. However sometimes he'll be a dick and turn you in.
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

Simon_Jester wrote:
i saw it on encyclopedia dramatica, then googled it.

it got a LOT of hits, plus links to the alleged video.

the post is titled "Video shows muamar gaddafi being sodomized" 1.58 million hits.

such sites linking the vid, youtube, wireupdate.com, earththreats.com & 1.58 million others. But I suppose 3 is enough.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That just means it's got shock value, not that it's at all likely to be true.

You need to recalibrate your bullshit detector, I think.

Of course, for all I know it might be true, in which case I find it strange and rather distasteful that you'd want to dwell on it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Once more, this thread has been cleaned of Comrade Claus' "hurf durf our troops should kill bankers" BS. Please continue.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs