Shooting at LA school...

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Shooting at LA school...

Post by weemadando »

No more info than apparently the police have him in custody now...
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Re: Shooting at LA school...

Post by Force Lord »

Link?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Post by Mr. Tickle »

Confirmed according to the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12221865
Three students have been taken to hospital after a shooting at a high school in California.

Local television reports say the gunman is still on the loose inside the Gardena High School in the city of Los Angeles.

Steve Prendergast from Gardena police says the suspect is thought to be a student.

Mr Prendergast says a teacher alerted police to the shooting at the school at 1041 local time (1841GMT).
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

MSNBC is calling it "accidental."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41138365/ns ... nd_courts/
Two students were shot accidentally at a Los Angeles high school on Tuesday morning when a student dropped a backpack containing a gun, msnbc cable television reported.

Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Jamie Moore said two victims were transported to a hospital, one in serious condition and one in critical condition.

Los Angeles Unified School District spokesman Robert Alaniz's account to KCBS-TV differed from information from local police who said three people were wounded at Gardena High School.

Video from a TV helicopter showed students coming out of buildings with their hands up as police with guns drawn covered them. One person was placed on the ground and handcuffed by police, but it wasn't not clear if the person was a suspect in the case.

Numerous law enforcement agencies responded to the shooting at the campus located in the city of Los Angeles adjacent to the city of Gardena.

The shooting occurred about 10:30 a.m. at Gardena High School. Police reported that a gun had been recovered, but it was unclear if the gun had been involved in the shooting.

Gardena police Lt. Steve Prendergast told The Associated Press that three victims were treated by paramedics and taken to a hospital.

The school, which has more than 3,000 students in grades nine through 12, is in the 1300 block of West 182nd Street. That's the Harbor Gateway neighborhood of Los Angeles, next to the city of Gardena. Prendergast said that Los Angeles police would take over the investigation.

A handful of frantic parents rushed to the school after hearing about the shooting on the news. They paced nervously as they waited behind police tapes for word from their children.

"I've never heard of anything like this before," said Thomas Hill, whose 16-year-old and 18-year-old children attend the school. "You're going to have confrontations between kids but never this."

Armando Perez, whose 15-year-old son Richard, was in the school, said: "I just want to know what's going on."

A mother who was waiting to hear from her 14-year-old son, Michael, said the school has a reputation for gang violence. Lupe Contreras said she has been trying to get her son out of the school.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Next question will be why was there a gun in the backpack?
Was he planning on shooting someone, was it for self defense etc.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

dragon wrote:Next question will be why was there a gun in the backpack?
the school has a reputation for gang violence.
That probably has something to do with it.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
dragon wrote:Next question will be why was there a gun in the backpack?
the school has a reputation for gang violence.
That probably has something to do with it.
Good possibility but was the kid a member of the gang or was he trying to defend himself.
If he's a member he deserves any punishment they give him. If he was trying to protect himself or others from the gangs that a little harder to decide.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

dragon wrote:Good possibility but was the kid a member of the gang or was he trying to defend himself.
If he's a member he deserves any punishment they give him. If he was trying to protect himself or others from the gangs that a little harder to decide.
No, the person/s that deserve the true righteous fury and anger treatment from law is whoever was the sad sack jerkoff that failed to properly secure their firearms to keep the kid from being able to take it to school in the first place.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
dragon wrote:Good possibility but was the kid a member of the gang or was he trying to defend himself.
No, the person/s that deserve the true righteous fury and anger treatment from law is whoever was the sad sack jerkoff that failed to properly secure their firearms to keep the kid from being able to take it to school in the first place.
There are a very large amount of weapons on the streets of LA that the kid could have bought it almost anywhere. Despite the crackdown of the police plus gun buy backs there are thousands out there.

edit - in 2009 over 32,000 guns were recovered and traced in CA
link
-- 32,964 crime guns were recovered by statewide California law enforcement agencies and submitted to ATF to be traced.
-- 16,162 firearms were traced by Los Angeles County law enforcement agencies with the majority traced by the LA County Sheriff's Department and the Los Angeles Police Department.
-- Statewide, recovered handguns outnumbered long guns by nearly 2 to 1.
-- 50% of all firearms recovered in California were recovered in Los Angeles County, and 21% were from the City of Los Angeles.
-- In Los Angeles, recovered handguns outnumbered long guns by more than 2 1/2 to 1.
-- 1,238 crime guns were traced by Orange County law enforcement agencies in 2009.
-- 1,521 crime guns were traced by Los Angeles ATF Agents as part of ongoing investigations in 2009.
-- There were over 3,000 crime guns recovered and traced in Southern California from youths 18-24 years of age.
link
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

If all the other kids and teachers had guns then they could have shot this gun before it had a chance to shoot those people.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

weemadando wrote:If all the other kids and teachers had guns then they could have shot this gun before it had a chance to shoot those people.
I would bet heavily that that school is already listed as a "gunfree zone"(that is, a place where firearms are banned and there are elevated penalties for having a firearm on or near the campus), so I'm not sure what it is you're looking for here. Just looking to make a dumbfuck comment?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I've heard it advocated before, that if you armed everyone then mass shooting incidents wouldn't happen.

This is a good illustration of the ways that strategy could go wrong: when everyone carries a gun, you get a lot more accidental shootings than when few people carry guns around routinely.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:If all the other kids and teachers had guns then they could have shot this gun before it had a chance to shoot those people.
You got it all wrong here, if we all worshipped the 2nd Amendment as the word of God we'd have the proper respect for guns so that shit like this doesn't happen.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

aerius wrote:
You got it all wrong here, if we all worshipped the 2nd Amendment as the word of God we'd have the proper respect for guns so that shit like this doesn't happen.
Yeah, OR, they could have rigorously enforced existing gun laws and likely prevented it instead of adding more ink by the barrel. Of course, groups like the NAACP are opposed to operations in the vein of EXILE since they "unfairly target inner cities"(that is, areas with the most gang activity) so it's unlikely California would start an EXILE-like program.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He would've harmed just as many people if he had been using a knife, or if it had been a knife or a machete that fell out of his backpack. :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Next wiseass remark gets dumped in the barrel and the offender bitchslapped.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Okay, more seriously. Expect more metal detectors and invasive bag-searches? If the school already had a gang problem, did it already have metal detectors and bag searches that somehow this kid evaded? What the hell was he planning to do with the gun, was it a preemptively botched attempt at a school shooting? Or do these kids routinely carry guns to school (what the hell)?

What the hell kind of gun goes off when it gets dropped (maybe the contents of the bag shuffled around and deactivated the safeties or whatevered the hammer/trigger/whatever)?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Okay, more seriously. Expect more metal detectors and invasive bag-searches? If the school already had a gang problem, did it already have metal detectors and bag searches that somehow this kid evaded? What the hell was he planning to do with the gun, was it a preemptively botched attempt at a school shooting? Or do these kids routinely carry guns to school (what the hell)?

What the hell kind of gun goes off when it gets dropped (maybe the contents of the bag shuffled around and deactivated the safeties or whatevered the hammer/trigger/whatever)?
Dude, basic firearms safety, you don't rely on a mechanical safety to ensure it doesn't go off. They can fail, they can be ignored, the user might be a complete fucking moron and choose not to employ it. If he had it loaded but no round chambered it wouldn't have gone off. Ignoring for the moment that he shouldn't have a pistol in school.

Edit: There's plenty of designs out there that just block the trigger from being used but jarring the weapon will result in a discharge. The Sterling SMG was infamous for it.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, yeah, he was an idiot for having chambered the gun in the first place. So...
the user might be a complete fucking moron
This. Yeah.

Chambered gun, safety or no safety, in bag. Accidental discharge. Okay. Makes sense.

But man. I wonder where he got it. Did some high schooler have the means to get an illegal gun, or did he just nick it from his dad or something?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Well, yeah, he was an idiot for having chambered the gun in the first place. So...
the user might be a complete fucking moron
This. Yeah.

Chambered gun, safety or no safety, in bag. Accidental discharge. Okay. Makes sense.

But man. I wonder where he got it. Did some high schooler have the means to get an illegal gun, or did he just nick it from his dad or something?
Considering the school is known for gang problems, the possibilities are pretty good he stole it from his dad or other family member. Or he was asked to smuggle it in for some gang bullshit or other.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Aaron wrote:What the hell kind of gun goes off when it gets dropped (maybe the contents of the bag shuffled around and deactivated the safeties or whatevered the hammer/trigger/whatever)?
Probably a really cheap single action pistol and the dumbshit put it in his back pack at condition zero. I've never actually seen it happen, but I've heard annecdotes out the yang from range Fudds about people dropping 1911s and they always go off in their stories. I've dropped a couple of my 1911s and even tripped and fell flat on my face running an IDPA course with one in condition zero and never had one go off, so your mileage may vary.

Aaron wrote:Dude, basic firearms safety, you don't rely on a mechanical safety to ensure it doesn't go off. They can fail, they can be ignored, the user might be a complete fucking moron and choose not to employ it. If he had it loaded but no round chambered it wouldn't have gone off. Ignoring for the moment that he shouldn't have a pistol in school.
Really depends on how you're carrying it. If you just storing it then you should have it unloaded and decocked with the magazine seperate from the weapon. If you're going concealed carry then you just keep it in a holster at condition one. But yeah, shit like this is why I seriously think we should make a course on firearm safety a requirement for graduation for high school. At least hen when someone has an negligent discharge and wounds/kills someone they don't have any excuse for it.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Mr. Coffee wrote: Probably a really cheap single action pistol and the dumbshit put it in his back pack at condition zero. I've never actually seen it happen, but I've heard annecdotes out the yang from range Fudds about people dropping 1911s and they always go off in their stories. I've dropped a couple of my 1911s and even tripped and fell flat on my face running an IDPA course with one in condition zero and never had one go off, so your mileage may vary.
I think that was Shroom dude.

But yeah, I dropped my C7 a couple times and it never went off. But there's dozens of horror stories with the Sterling.

Mr C wrote: Really depends on how you're carrying it. If you just storing it then you should have it unloaded and decocked with the magazine seperate from the weapon. If you're going concealed carry then you just keep it in a holster at condition one. But yeah, shit like this is why I seriously think we should make a course on firearm safety a requirement for graduation for high school. At least hen when someone has an negligent discharge and wounds/kills someone they don't have any excuse for it.
With the number of firearms in the US it's not a bad idea. Even here where it's mostly long guns used for hunting, it's not a bad idea. Just in case you come across one and don't go "cool!" and start fucking with it.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Mr. Coffee wrote: Really depends on how you're carrying it. If you just storing it then you should have it unloaded and decocked with the magazine seperate from the weapon. If you're going concealed carry then you just keep it in a holster at condition one. But yeah, shit like this is why I seriously think we should make a course on firearm safety a requirement for graduation for high school. At least hen when someone has an negligent discharge and wounds/kills someone they don't have any excuse for it.
IIRC the storage requirements for any firearm in Australia are:

Locked in an approved gunsafe, unloaded, safed and with a trigger lock in place. Ammunition must be stored in a separate locked container.

The rules for a weapon in transit are similar - though instead of gun safe, insert "approved lockable gun case".

The only time you are allowed to have a loaded weapon is when you are actually shooting it.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

You know that I can legally drive around with an unrestricted weapon (long arm basically) in the front seat with a box of rounds beside it as long as the weapon itself is unloaded? The law only mandates that the ammo and weapon be separate (IE: not in gun). If I leave it unattended in the vehicle it has to be locked up though.

But the kicker is, no one would ever do it unless your hunting because of the pants shitting that would occur. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

weemadando wrote:IIRC the storage requirements for any firearm in Australia are:

Locked in an approved gunsafe, unloaded, safed and with a trigger lock in place. Ammunition must be stored in a separate locked container.

The rules for a weapon in transit are similar - though instead of gun safe, insert "approved lockable gun case".

The only time you are allowed to have a loaded weapon is when you are actually shooting it.
If we've got storage requirements in Alabama I'll be damned if I know what they are. I just store everything in gun safes and when I'm traveling I make sure to keep any long guns stowed in the trunk in a case, but my CCW piece stays on my hip. If I'm traveling out of state I makesure to review the travel laws of those states and if they give reciprocity for my CCW permit and then do what that state's laws require. IfI get pulled over I keep my hands on the wheel at two and ten so the cop can see them and advise the cop first thing that I've got a valid carry permit, I am armed, and if he would like for me to surrender my weapon to him for the duration of the stop. Most cops act pretty surpised (as in glad/happy suprised, not "HOLYSHIT, HE'S GOT A GUN!!!" surprised0 that I do that last bit and it usually puts them at ease(besides, it's just plain polite when dealing with LEOs.).