W.Virginia ads depict Republican as Stormtrooper/Dr Evil

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

W.Virginia ads depict Republican as Stormtrooper/Dr Evil

Post by Elfdart »

Why do candidates wait until just a few days before the election to run their best ads? Like these:
Joe Manchin Channels 'Star Wars,' 'Austin Powers' In New Ads Mocking John Raese

West Virginia Senate candidate Joe Manchin has rolled out storm troopers and an underground lair in a new ad campaign that continues to highlight Republican opponent John Raese's "crazy" ideas.

The ads, two parodying "Star Wars" and one "Austin Powers," focus on a statement that he made at a forum earlier this month about putting "1000 laser systems" in the sky as part of an effort to revamp the nation's missile defense system.

The first ad is pretty straightforward. With a musical backdrop of John Williams's Imperial March, Raese talks about his lofty plans to construct a high-tech system of sky lasers. Green beams then flash onto the screen, vaporizing a few of the programs Raese has argued against.

The second ad is fairly similar, but includes the production value of a TIE fighter to do Raese's supposed dirty work. Jobs, up in flames. Minimum wage, blasted. Department of Education, kablooey. Then Manchin emerges (as Luke Skywalker?) with his trusty lightsaber hunting rifle to destroy the cap-and-trade bill (and the TIE fighter), as he did in an earlier ad.

The third ad takes a different angle, relating Raese's talk of lasers to Dr. Evil's -- the antagonist in the "Austin Powers" movies -- obsession with the destructive rays. It also manages to tie in Raese's plush Florida residence.

Get HuffPost Politics On Twitter, Facebook, and Google Buzz! Subscribe to the new HuffPost Hill newsletter! Know something we don't? E-mail us at huffpolitics@huffingtonpost.com

The second ad is fairly similar, but includes the production value of a TIE fighter to do Raese's supposed dirty work. Jobs, up in flames. Minimum wage, blasted. Department of Education, kablooey. Then Manchin emerges (as Luke Skywalker?) with his trusty lightsaber hunting rifle to destroy the cap-and-trade bill (and the TIE fighter), as he did in an earlier ad.

The third ad takes a different angle, relating Raese's talk of lasers to Dr. Evil's -- the antagonist in the "Austin Powers" movies -- obsession with the destructive rays. It also manages to tie in Raese's plush Florida residence.

The third one is the best, but what's really funny is that the candidate himself is putting out these ads. Ridicule is one of the most effective weapons in politics, and Teabaggers provide a goldmine of material, so why don't candidates bust their balls more often?
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Re: W.Virginia ads depict Republican as Stormtrooper/Dr Evil

Post by Norade »

That stuff is gold, I almost laughed as hard as I did for Mr. Rent is too damn High.

EDIT: To make this post have some actual content 'd be pissed if any candidate here ever ran on a platform like that and was taken seriously.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Those are pretty good ads. It mostly just makes me feel sorry for WVians more than usual. On the flip side, I saw a Manchin ad last night on Colbert, and based on his ads I wouldn't vote for Manchin at all. Evidently the wrong Democrat got the right ad guys.

Also, surely there would be rights issues for using footage in commercials?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Gandalf wrote:Those are pretty good ads. It mostly just makes me feel sorry for WVians more than usual. On the flip side, I saw a Manchin ad last night on Colbert, and based on his ads I wouldn't vote for Manchin at all. Evidently the wrong Democrat got the right ad guys.

Why? What's wrong with his ads?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elfdart wrote:Why do candidates wait until just a few days before the election to run their best ads? Like these:
"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes?" Ads a few days before the election, especially ones that are hilarious, might well be remembered better on election day than ads done months or weeks before.

The lack of tactical use of ridicule is, I think, institutional: the American political establishment is having a scarily hard time reacting to just how batshit insane our politics has become over the past... hell, the past three years or so. It didn't used to be this crazy during the Bush years, or rather the crazies were relatively quiet.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yes, ads ran right before the election are remembered on election. Companies do it sometimes as well, depending on the product.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Simon_Jester wrote:It didn't used to be this crazy during the Bush years, or rather the crazies were relatively quiet.
Bush wasn't a Democrat. That's the difference.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

So who is this guy? Does he owns a company that makes lasers by any chance?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

No, he's in the business of making MONEY... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

General Schatten wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:It didn't used to be this crazy during the Bush years, or rather the crazies were relatively quiet.
I don't remember it being this nuts during the '90s either, not the politicians, anyway.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Clinton wasn't black.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

General Schatten wrote:
I know. The Democrats still haven't caught up.

There were people this crazy back in the 1990s, but they were far enough out that you could ignore them. Ten years of marinading the public in right-wing propaganda have greatly expanded both the scale of the potential far-right movement and the 'courage' of that movement. Now, not only are there more people who just believe everything said within that framework, those people are more confident that they do represent the "real" America, that they don't have to compromise or apologize.

The Democrats can't say the same thing.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The 90s had Timothy McVeigh, Waco, and Ruby Ridge. I'd wager it was actually worse, so far you guys haven't had crazed militia sieges despite the loudness of the rhetoric nowadays.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The 90s had Timothy McVeigh, Waco, and Ruby Ridge. I'd wager it was actually worse, so far you guys haven't had crazed militia sieges despite the loudness of the rhetoric nowadays.
Thing is, the militia siege guys were like 0.1% of the population or something; they didn't have political leverage worth mentioning. No one seriously believed that the militia siege guys could take over the country, and outside their own little world, no one believed that they should.

At worst, they were a law enforcement problem, not a political problem.

Whereas the Tea Party is much more numerous and is actually challenging the political order, rather than just going off into the woods and forting up to wait for the black helicopters. Thus, the political dynamic has changed. Instead of lunatics just running off to go be lunatics on their own, they are marching in the streets, spilling their lunacy on bystanders, and hoping to impose a government of lunatics on the whole nation.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The 90s had Timothy McVeigh, Waco, and Ruby Ridge. I'd wager it was actually worse, so far you guys haven't had crazed militia sieges despite the loudness of the rhetoric nowadays.
You forgot the West Virginia Mountaineer Militia's failed planning of the bombing of the FBI fingerprinting center in Harrisburg.

That having been said you forgot about the Hutaree Militia and I disagree with your idea that just because we haven't had anything like that, we're only two years into what is most likely an eight year hold on the White House. Hell in 2010 the SPLC saw a 250% increase in far-right groups [1] and a 400% increase in the number of death threats between him and Bush [2]. Most likely we're just seeing the tip.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

General Schatten wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Those are pretty good ads. It mostly just makes me feel sorry for WVians more than usual. On the flip side, I saw a Manchin ad last night on Colbert, and based on his ads I wouldn't vote for Manchin at all. Evidently the wrong Democrat got the right ad guys.

Why? What's wrong with his ads?
Well, take the Star Wars-themed ads They make blatant use of Lucasfilms IP. Someone could take their use as an implication that George Lucas endorses Joe Manchin. If Lucasfilms gave their okay first, then there's nothing wrong with the ads. Except politicians have a habit of occasionally using songs and other IP without the permission of the artists in question.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

In addition to sticking in the minds of the voters it also gives the opponent less time to counter the points in the ads. The longer the ad is in place the more time the opponent has to pick it apart and make you look like a liar.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Well, take the Star Wars-themed ads They make blatant use of Lucasfilms IP. Someone could take their use as an implication that George Lucas endorses Joe Manchin. If Lucasfilms gave their okay first, then there's nothing wrong with the ads. Except politicians have a habit of occasionally using songs and other IP without the permission of the artists in question.
Or it could be he paid for their use, either way it's purely conjecture unless/until Lucasfilm decides to make a statement verifying whether it was authorized or not and in no way an actual reason to say you wouldn't vote for him. So I ask again, what's wrong with the ad that makes you say you wouldn't vote for him?
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

People used famous scenes and elements of Star Wars for spoofing other things since ages. I don't think anyone expects these particular videos have anything to do with George Lucas's political alignment.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It helps he wants a 1000 lasers in the skies above us. One THOUSAND LASER BEAMS.

Hence the Star Wars, and thus mockery through that.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I ddn't forget about Tim McVeigh, Ruby Ridge, the Branch Davidians, ect, they just weren't relavant to my point, since they weren't politicians. In the 90s the people suggesting "second amendment solutions" and looking for black helicopters from the New World Order were backwoods nutjobs, today they're serious candidates for congress.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:I ddn't forget about Tim McVeigh, Ruby Ridge, the Branch Davidians, ect, they just weren't relavant to my point, since they weren't politicians. In the 90s the people suggesting "second amendment solutions" and looking for black helicopters from the New World Order were backwoods nutjobs, today they're serious candidates for congress.
Oh we were there, but we didn't have the Intarwebs to spread the news outside of the circle, so to speak.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant