"The US should emulate the Berlin Wall"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

"The US should emulate the Berlin Wall"

Post by Thanas »

source
Alaska GOP Senate nominee Joe Miller thinks the United States should use the former Soviet-controlled East Germany as an example in border security.

“East Germany was very, very able to reduce the flow,” Miller said at a town hall event Sunday, as recorded by an Anchorage-based blogger.

“Now, obviously, other things there were involved,” Miller added. “We have the capacity, as a great nation, obviously, to secure our border. If East Germany could, we could.”

Miller did not note that the purpose of the Berlin Wall and East German security was to keep large numbers of people from emigrating to the West.
The idiot does not know what he is talking about or just advocated for a shoot on sight order against people who look like illegal immigrants.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: "The US should emulate the Berlin Wall"

Post by Phantasee »

I'm trying to understand how a group of people who worship the man who said "Tear down this wall" can turn around and say "hey, that wall was a pretty good idea!".
XXXI
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Even further, how he can suddenly defend communists shooting down unarmed people who just wanted their freedom.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Phantasee wrote:I'm trying to understand how a group of people who worship the man who said "Tear down this wall" can turn around and say "hey, that wall was a pretty good idea!".
That wall was about keeping people in East Germany. This proposed wall is about keeping people out of the US.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

At this rate, he might even through the election (though that is still very improbable at best).

Couldn't the teabaggers' astro-turfing sugar daddies run better background checks to weed out the truly stupid from the merely incompetent?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Phantasee wrote:I'm trying to understand how a group of people who worship the man who said "Tear down this wall" can turn around and say "hey, that wall was a pretty good idea!".
OK, understand that Miller is a Republican and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when Kennedy was President they loathed his Democratic ass. In other words, Miller has never "worshiped" Kennedy, he likely has regarded him as an internal enemy for years. (Which is not to say ALL Republicans are that nuts, just that Miller seems to be one)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote:
OK, understand that Miller is a Republican and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when Kennedy was President they loathed his Democratic ass. In other words, Miller has never "worshiped" Kennedy, he likely has regarded him as an internal enemy for years. (Which is not to say ALL Republicans are that nuts, just that Miller seems to be one)
"Tear down this wall" was Reagan.

Link
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
"Tear down this wall" was Reagan.
Which in no way invalidates my statement that many Republicans despite Kennedy (any Kennedy, really). Reagan got points on that one for being a "tough guy" and standing up to communism. It had nothing to do with liking Kennedy.

ETA: Oh, never mind - I misread the post. Somehow I got crossed up with Kennedy's "I'm a Berliner" thing and ... nevermind. I'll just go eat dinner now and get some rest. Damn lumberjacking shit wears out my mind as well as my body.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Broomstick wrote: Damn lumberjacking shit wears out my mind as well as my body.
That's what you're doing now?
I encourage you yet again to apply for both supervisiory and/or union associate positions at the Indiana TJX warehouses (Evansville, Brownburg, and South Bend).
The pay may not be much, but after my recent seizure which would have resulted in a $12k+ bill absent my health insurance, I think it's worth the sacrifice.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Glocksman wrote:
Broomstick wrote: Damn lumberjacking shit wears out my mind as well as my body.
That's what you're doing now?
I have a standing agreement to clear a patch of scrub on days I am not otherwise employed. It's about 2/3 done now, but I keep forgetting how much it sucks out of me.
I encourage you yet again to apply for both supervisiory and/or union associate positions at the Indiana TJX warehouses (Evansville, Brownburg, and South Bend). The pay may not be much, but after my recent seizure which would have resulted in a $12k+ bill absent my health insurance, I think it's worth the sacrifice.
As it is, the State of Indiana is subsidizing the health insurance for my family, so (for 2011 at least) that's not a worry. I have been applying, but apparently can not get myself noticed amidst the din of everyone else applying. If you can help, let me know.

Anyhow, after a refreshing night's sleep, back to the topic:
I'm trying to understand how a group of people who worship the man who said "Tear down this wall" can turn around and say "hey, that wall was a pretty good idea!".
Because it's easier to criticize others than it is to realize when one's own self is motivated by fear. That's what it is - fear of a Mexican invasion. A fear the US will become Mexican, that English will no longer be the most important language, and of course the fear that white males will no longer enjoy privileges over everyone else.

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

If you're willing to work a 3 day/36 hour week (Saturday, Sunday and Monday 4pm-4:30am) shift, apply for 'B' Shift at the Evansville DC, as the company is having trouble staffing the weekend shift despite Indiana's 10%+ unemployment rate and the local Whirlpool plant closing down in order to move to Mexico.

Like I said, the pay sucks for non management positions, but our benefits aren't all that bad at all.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant