Raids target Christian militia in Midwest

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Raids target Christian militia in Midwest

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Or How about Beck caught on tape Joking about poisoning Nancy Polosi? (fast Forward to around 2:40)

The thing about "Fox" itself, is that it may not say directly "Go out and Kill people" But they do nothing NOTHING to question people who come on shows and say blatant lies aimed at provoking violence.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The development now seems to be that some of the Militia are disowning the Hutaree for being too religious - according to the Montana Militia they actually said they'd fight the other militias as well if they didn't convert to full on radical christianity, which is why they stopped training together. There's also some indication they were clashing with some muslims in the region.

If the rest of the militias relax a little on hearing all this it might de-escalate quite safely and prevent an actual conflict.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah we don't exactly want them running into farrakhan's children....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Charges against these militia members are announced:
Militia members charged with police-killing plot

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 11 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Nine suspects tied to a Christian militia in the Midwest are charged with conspiring to kill police officers, then attack a funeral in the hopes of killing more law enforcement personnel, federal prosecutors said Monday.

U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said agents moved on the group because the Hutaree members were planning a violent reconaissance mission sometime in April — just a few days away.

Members of the group called Hutaree are charged in the case, including their leader, David Brian Stone, also known as "Captain Hutaree."

Once other officers gathered for a slain officer's funeral, the group planned to detonate homemade bombs at the funeral, killing more, according to newly unsealed court papers.

According to the indictment, the idea of attacking a police funeral was one of numerous scenarios discussed as ways to go after law enforcement officers. Other scenarios included a fake 911 call to lure an officer to his or her death, or an attack on the family of a police officer.

After such attacks, the group allegedly planned to retreat to "rally points" protected by trip-wired improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, for what they expected would become a violent standoff with law enforcement personnel.

"It is believed by the Hutaree that this engagement would then serve as a catalyst for a more wide-sread uprising against the government," the indictment charges.

It includes charges of seditious conspiracy, possessing a firearm during a crime of violence, teaching the use of explosives, and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction — homemade bombs.

The indictment charges members of the group conspired "to levy war against the United States, (and) to oppose by force the authority of the government of the United States."

The charges follow FBI raids over the weekend on locations in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana.

According to investigators, the Hutaree view local, state, and federal law enforcement personnel as a "brotherhood" and an enemy, and planned to attack them as part of an armed struggle against the U.S. government.

Eight suspects have been arrested by the FBI, and one more is being sought. Of the eight captured, seven are due in court later Monday.

Andrew Arena, head of the FBI's field office in Detroit, said the case "is an example of radical and extremist fringe groups which can be found throughout our society. The FBI takes such extremist groups seriously, especially those who would target innocent citizens and the law enforcement officers who protect the citizens of the United States."

On its Web site, Hutaree quotes several Bible passages and states: "We believe that one day, as prophecy says, there will be an Anti-Christ. ... Jesus wanted us to be ready to defend ourselves using the sword and stay alive using equipment."

The group didn't return an e-mail sent by The Associated Press and phone numbers for the group's leadership were not immediately available.

Law enforcement swarmed a rural, wooded property Saturday evening near Adrian, about 70 miles southwest of Detroit. Two ramshackle trailers sat side-by-side on the property, the door to one slightly ajar late Sunday as if it had been forced open.

Phyllis Brugger, who has lived in the area for more than 30 years, said some people who lived there were known as having ties to militia. They would shoot guns and often wore camouflage, according to Brugger and her daughter, Heidi Wood.

"Everybody knew they were militia," Brugger said. "You don't mess with them."

In Hammond, Ind., 18-year-old George Ponce, who works at a pizzeria next door to a home that was raided, said he and a few co-workers stepped outside for a break Saturday night and saw a swarm of law enforcement.

"I heard a yell, 'Get back inside!' and saw a squad member pointing a rifle at us," Ponce said. "They told us the bomb squad was going in, sweeping the house looking for bombs."

He said another agent was in the bushes near the house, and law enforcement vehicles were "all over." He estimated that agents took more than two dozen guns from the house.

In Ohio, one of the raids occurred at Bayshore Estates, a well-kept trailer park in Sandusky, a small city on Lake Erie between Toledo and Cleveland. Neighbors said the man taken into custody lived in a trailer on a cul-de-sac with his wife and two young children.

___

Associated Press Writer Mike Householder contributed to this story.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Whoa.

For non-Americans on the forum, that highlighted passage where they're accused of "conspiracy to levy war against the United States" is pretty harsh legal language, because that's the same wording the Constitution uses to describe treason.

So these guys might, for all I know, get charged with conspiracy to commit treason, a crime that very rarely comes up in US law.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Simon_Jester wrote:Whoa.

For non-Americans on the forum, that highlighted passage where they're accused of "conspiracy to levy war against the United States" is pretty harsh legal language, because that's the same wording the Constitution uses to describe treason.

So these guys might, for all I know, get charged with conspiracy to commit treason, a crime that very rarely comes up in US law.
Sounds pretty harsh to me too! Well, this is the sort of thing that needs the hammer brought down upon, and hard.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

hmm, interesting that they are from Adrian. The Michigan Militia was based out of Dexter, about 40 miles give or take north. I'm curious to see if Stone had any links to the MM back in the 90s or not.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The problem with convicting for treason under US law is you have to have eyewitnesses. They'll probably wave the stick and force them to plead out to sedition or something along those lines.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:The problem with convicting for treason under US law is you have to have eyewitnesses. They'll probably wave the stick and force them to plead out to sedition or something along those lines.
I don't think "treason" appears anywhere in the listed indictments. But yeah, the prosecutors have enough other things to charge them with, it seems.
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

I really hope these people are convicted, but somehow I don't see this situation turning out well. Either they get out of it, or they get used as propaganda by thr far Right. I hope I'm wrong though, It'd be nice if something like this didn't end up being completely blown out of proportion.
KAC-WG

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

loomer wrote:Fuck if I know - all I do know is that right now the tension for the militias just shot up dramatically. Something had to be done with the way the right-wing is getting out of control, but I'm just not sure if this particular course of action was the best one to take.
Oh, please - the militia tension shot up when Obama got elected, and the longer he's in office without a major disaster or with getting any form of legislation passed the worse these asshats are going to be. If the FBI et al have enough evidence to arrest and (better yet) convict them BEFORE there's another Oklahoma City type event then I'm all for it.
Ryan Thunder wrote:We can't arrest people for painting these terrorists in a positive light, or painting the government in a negative light for cleaning them up, and thus aiding their cause? Well, I guess not. Oh well.
No, it's that whole first amendment/free speech thing, you know?

We can't arrest these asshats until they DO something. Fortunately, merely planning certain activities, such as murder or terrorism, can serve and we don't have to wait for people to actually get hurt or die. The problem is have enough evidence to make the charges stick.
loomer wrote:The development now seems to be that some of the Militia are disowning the Hutaree for being too religious - according to the Montana Militia they actually said they'd fight the other militias as well if they didn't convert to full on radical christianity, which is why they stopped training together. There's also some indication they were clashing with some muslims in the region.
The Yosemite Bear wrote:yeah we don't exactly want them running into farrakhan's children....
Farrakan's Nation of Islamn is based primarially in Chicago. There is a branch in Detroit, but most Muslims don't recognize NoI as legitimatel Muslim.

Michigan has a high percentage of Arab immigrants, and quite a few Muslims (it should be noted, however, that a significant percentage of SE. Michigan Arabs are actually Christian - as usuall, real life isn't overly simple). I could certianly see a lot of friction between Hutaree and the local Muslims particuarly the more devout Muslims.
The indictment charges members of the group conspired "to levy war against the United States, (and) to oppose by force the authority of the government of the United States.
Holy fuck! They're being charged with treason! When was the last time the US brought anyone to trial over that?

Treason is the only crime actually defined in the US constitution:
Article III Section 3 wrote:Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The last case I can think of was the Rosenbergs, and I'm not even sure of that - that was more than half a century ago. Did the "American Al-Qaeda" guy get accused of treason? He's the only one since the Rosenbergs that might fit such a category, but I don't know if the charge was formally made or not. A quick Google indicates about 40 accusations of treason during the whole history of the US, and not all of those resulted in conviction.

This is really quite extraordinary.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:The problem with convicting for treason under US law is you have to have eyewitnesses. They'll probably wave the stick and force them to plead out to sedition or something along those lines.
Eyewitness OR confession in open court - wonder if they're hoping to maneuver such a confession. It might be possible with religious fanatics.

EIther that, or they've got a couple turncoats in their group (the constitution requires at least two eyewitnesses for a conviction).
FSTargetDrone wrote: don't think "treason" appears anywhere in the listed indictments. But yeah, the prosecutors have enough other things to charge them with, it seems.
The wording used in the inditment is almost a direct word-for-word quote of how the constitution defines the crime. They're being charged with treason.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I find the classification of homemade bombs as WMDs interesting. I wasn't aware that the term covered that. I would have thought they would be classified as IEDs.

As for the militia, chargr 'em with whatever sticks. Conspiring to kill police officers while they are burying a friend that you killed is sick. The longer these people are in jail, the better.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Darth Paxis wrote:or they get used as propaganda by thr far Right.
I don't even think the far right wants to take up this fight without losing substantial support.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Post by Liberty »

I need to stop reading the comments sections of online newspaper articles. I get so mad when I do because half the people commenting are idiots!

See for yourself (from the comments section of this ABC News article: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/TheLaw/michiga ... d=10228716:
Crazy Commenter #1 wrote:When you have a president named Barrak Hussein Obama, just how much of a chance do you think Christians will have? It's the Crusades all over again. Maybe they can get it right this tme.
Crazy Commenter #2 wrote:I'm also surprised by how quickly and forcefully federal agents attack Americans who haven't harmed anyone. It's not illegal to walk around the woods with guns. It's not illegal to own guns (yet). It's not illegal to "threaten" Islamic terrorists and would be terrorists. If it is, let them come get me, too. Because here is my threat: "If, in my presence, you try to kill Americans, I will defend them with all lawful means at my disposal." One would think such a "threat" is fully consistent with a citizen's right and obligation to uphold and protect the Constitution.
Crazy Commenter #3 wrote:Still waiting to hear what they did that was so illegal. Still waiting for the feds to raid Islamberg.
Crazy Commenter #4 wrote:They couldn't catch the terrorists, who made threats, before 9/11 happened but they can catch these "militias" before the can take a leak in their trailor. Smells fishy to me. Another violation of American rights
Crazy Commenter #5 wrote:Wow! The government acts so quickly to shut down "Christian" militias in Michigan. I wonder when they'll arrest the leader of that little-known global militia, Al Qaeda?
Crazy Commenter #6 wrote:I hear there's a Muslim preacher in New York preaching for the death of all Americans. Any chance of taking him down? Guess we can't cause that would violate his God given rights, but to stop the Christians is O.K. This country used to be America didn't it? That was a long time ago...
And this is just selected samples from the first page of comments. What the fuck is wrong with these people!? See, this is the problem: There are some Americans, I don't know how many, who are sympathetic to these militias even while they aren't themselves a part of them. Could this further radicalize these people? God I wish this country was sane!
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Broomstick wrote:The wording used in the inditment is almost a direct word-for-word quote of how the constitution defines the crime. They're being charged with treason.
Noted. Not sure how I missed that.

Here is the latest from the AP:
Christian militia accused of plotting to kill cops

By COREY WILLIAMS and DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writers Corey Williams And Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writers – 40 mins ago

This combo of eight photos provided by the U.S. Marshals Service on Monday March 29, 2010 shows from top left, David Brian Stone Sr., 44, of Clayton, Mich,; David Brian Stone Jr. of Adrian, Mich,; Jacob Ward, 33, of Huron, Ohio; Tina Mae Stone and bottom row from left, Michael David Meeks, 40, of Manchester, Mich,; Kristopher T. Sickles, 27, of Sandusky, Ohio; Joshua John Clough, 28, of Blissfield, Mich.; and Thomas William Piatek, 46, of Whiting, Ind.,. Nine suspects tied to Hutaree, a Christian militia that was preparing for the Antichrist were charged with conspiring to kill police officers, then kill scores more by attacking a funeral using homemade bombs, federal prosecutors said Monday. Federal authorities say Stone's other son, Joshua Matthew Stone is a fugitive. Piatek, 46, of Whiting, Ind., was arrested Sunday in Illinois after an FBI raid Saturday in Hammond, Ind. In court Monday, he initially said he was the person named in the federal indictment, but when read the allegations, he said 'I'm not that guy.' U.S. District Judge Paul Cherry ordered Piatek to return Wednesday for an identity and bond hearing.
(AP Photo/U.S. Marshall)

DETROIT – Nine alleged members of a Christian militia group that was girding for battle with the Antichrist were charged Monday with plotting to kill a police officer and slaughter scores more by bombing the funeral — all in hopes of touching off an uprising against the U.S. government.

Seven men and one woman believed to be part of the Michigan-based Hutaree were arrested over the weekend in raids in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. The ninth suspect was arrested Monday night after a search in rural southern Michigan.

FBI agents moved quickly against Hutaree because its members were planning an attack sometime in April, prosecutors said. Authorities seized guns in the raids but would not say whether they found explosives.

The arrests have dealt "a severe blow to a dangerous organization that today stands accused of conspiring to levy war against the United States," Attorney General Eric Holder said.

Authorities said the arrests underscored the dangers of homegrown right-wing extremism of the sort seen in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people.

In an indictment, prosecutors said the group began military-style training in the Michigan woods in 2008, learning how to shoot guns and make and set off bombs.

David Brian Stone, 44, of Clayton, Mich., and one of his sons were identified as ringleaders of the group. Stone, who was known as "Captain Hutaree," organized the group in paramilitary fashion and members were assigned secret names, prosecutors said. Ranks ranged from "radoks" to "gunners," according to the group's Web site.

"It started out as a Christian thing," Stone's ex-wife, Donna Stone, told The Associated Press. "You go to church. You pray. You take care of your family. I think David started to take it a little too far."

Donna Stone said her ex-husband pulled her son into the movement. Another of David Stone's sons was arrested Monday night about 30 miles from the site of the weekend raid at a home where he was found with five other adults and a child.

Joshua Matthew Stone surrendered about 8 p.m., said Andrew Arena, head of the FBI's field office in Detroit. Stone's friends and relatives had recorded messages, urging him to surrender, that the FBI played over loudspeakers outside the home before he and the others came out willingly, Arena said.

"We're guessing he's been in there at least a day," Arena said.

Arena said the other adults at the home were taken into custody and will be interviewed. A determination will be made later about whether they might face charges, he said. The child was 1 or 2 years old, Arena said.

Other details, including whether those in the house had weapons or were affiliated with Hutaree, weren't immediately released.

Prosecutors said David Stone had identified certain law enforcement officers near his home as potential targets. He and other members discussed setting off bombs at a police funeral, using a fake 911 call to lure an officer to his death, killing an officer after a traffic stop, or attacking the family of an officer, according to the indictment.

After such attacks, the group allegedly planned to retreat to "rally points" protected by trip-wired explosives for a violent standoff with the law.

"It is believed by the Hutaree that this engagement would then serve as a catalyst for a more widespread uprising against the government," the indictment said.

The charges against the eight include seditious conspiracy — plotting to levy war against the U.S. — possessing a firearm during a crime of violence, teaching the use of explosives, and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction — homemade bombs.

Hutaree says on its Web site its name means "Christian warrior" and describes the word as part of a secret language few are privileged to know. The group quotes several Bible passages and declares: "We believe that one day, as prophecy says, there will be an Anti-Christ. ... Jesus wanted us to be ready to defend ourselves using the sword and stay alive using equipment."

The nature of the organization's alleged grudge against law enforcement and the government was unclear. The Web site does not list specific grievances.

The site features a picture of 17 men in camouflage, all holding large guns, and includes videos of armed men running through the woods. Each wears a shoulder patch that bears a cross and two red spears.

David Cid, executive director of the Oklahoma City-based Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism, said there has been a resurgence in the past year or two of "domestic militancy" similar to what was seen before the Oklahoma City bombing.

"It's issues like eminent domain and immigration, and apparently national health care in some quarters," said Cid, a former FBI counterterrorism agent. "It's increasing these people's ire and their discomfort with their own government."

The wife of one of the defendants described Hutaree as a small group of patriotic, Christian buddies who were just doing survival training.

"It consisted of a dad and two of his sons and I think just a couple other close friends of theirs," said Kelly Sickles, who husband, Kristopher, was among those charged. "It was supposed to be a Christian group. Christ-like, right, so why would you think that's something wrong with that, right?"

Sickles said she came home Saturday night to find her house in Sandusky, Ohio, in disarray. Agents seized the guns her husband collected as a hobby and searched for bomb-making materials, she said, but added: "He doesn't even know how to make a bomb. We had no bomb material here."

She said she couldn't believe her 27-year-old husband could be involved in anything violent.

"It was just survival skills," she said. "That's what they were learning. And it's just patriotism. It's in our Constitution."

One of the defendants expressed anti-tax views during his Monday court hearing.

Thomas W. Piatek, a truck driver from Whiting, Ind., told a federal judge he could not afford an attorney because he was "getting raped on property taxes."

The mother of another defendant, 33-year-old Jacob Ward, told police in Huron, Ohio, last summer that family members took away his two guns — an AK-47 rifle and a semiautomatic pistol — because she thought he needed mental health treatment.

Ward told police he needed to protect himself from members of a crime family that was keeping him from his girlfriend, according to Huron police records obtained by the AP. He also said he was going to meet with the CIA.

Seven of the defendants in court in Michigan asked to be represented by public defenders. The eighth had a public defender appointed in Indiana.

___

Devlin Barrett reported from Washington. Associated Press writers John Seewer in Wheatland Township, Mich.; Meghan Barr in Sandusky, Ohio; David Aguilar and Jeff Karoub in Detroit; and Mike Householder in Adrian, Mich.; and Don Babwin in Chicago contributed to this report.
What I really want to know is if any of the explosive-protected "rally points" were ever set up.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Frankly, I'm none to thrilled at the proximity of the Indiana Hutaree to where I live. I've known for quite some time that we have whackos of this sort in the area, but I'm always hoping my radar is overreacting.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:
The indictment charges members of the group conspired "to levy war against the United States, (and) to oppose by force the authority of the government of the United States.
Holy fuck! They're being charged with treason! When was the last time the US brought anyone to trial over that?

Treason is the only crime actually defined in the US constitution...
Yeah; I noted this earlier. Though technically it sounds like they're being charged with conspiracy to commit treason. Which, come to think of it, will probably be punished as treason, if they can make the charge stick.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Crazy Commenter wrote:Still waiting to hear what they did that was so illegal. Still waiting for the feds to raid Islamberg.
Wow...it's not like the charges made are all over the article, right? :D

Why must mouth-breathing retards always be so vocal?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

General Schatten wrote:
Darth Paxis wrote:or they get used as propaganda by thr far Right.
I don't even think the far right wants to take up this fight without losing substantial support.
I don't know, although the commentors in Liberty's post seem to be leaning that way. I don't think that the Republicans as a party will bitch too much about it, but these kinds of comments are what put me on edge.
KAC-WG

Yona
Youngling

Post by Yona »

What is really scary about these Militias is that they only got one of many groups in many states.

Living in Northern Wisconsin, I get over to Michigan quite often. They should have kept looking !

The fact that these people even exist makes one wonder about the average intelligence level in this country.
The "Stupid Gene" is alive and well ! It resides in many forms, mostly in the "new" crop of Republicans !
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I live in Yosemite, we have enough slack jawed, fundies, around here. Of course living in a martial state (National Park Service is very controlling about their land, and particularly about people living here, and we have a lot of illegal activity on the land (poaching, pot, sheep farming, etc)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth Paxis wrote:I don't know, although the commentors in Liberty's post seem to be leaning that way. I don't think that the Republicans as a party will bitch too much about it, but these kinds of comments are what put me on edge.
I don't think they can afford to; they need plausible deniability if when one of these groups pulls off the next Oklahoma City bombing, and they know it.

They can afford to covertly pass instructions to the far right, and even promote violence among the far right, as a way of blowing off steam... but they can't openly tie themselves too closely to the actual terrorist fringe of the far right, even if they want to (which they probably don't).
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Post by Liberty »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Darth Paxis wrote:I don't know, although the commentors in Liberty's post seem to be leaning that way. I don't think that the Republicans as a party will bitch too much about it, but these kinds of comments are what put me on edge.
I don't think they can afford to; they need plausible deniability if when one of these groups pulls off the next Oklahoma City bombing, and they know it.

They can afford to covertly pass instructions to the far right, and even promote violence among the far right, as a way of blowing off steam... but they can't openly tie themselves too closely to the actual terrorist fringe of the far right, even if they want to (which they probably don't).
I think you're pretty right here. I mean, the Republican Party may be glad that people are finally upset about the things the Democrats are doing, but they definitely want deniability. Glenn Beck spends months telling people that Obama is a communist, and the country is descending into socialism, etc, but then says oh no, he never promoted violence. It's an odd relationship.
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Bear in mind that "those people" will be motivated to make snarky comments regarding an article like this; most of us --I would assume-- don't see anything wrong with taking down a bunch of violent radical rightwing shitbricks.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

What wikipedia has to say about Treason cases in the US
Wikipedia wrote: On October 11, 2006, a federal grand jury issued the first indictment for treason against the United States since 1952, charging Adam Yahiye Gadahn for videos in which he appeared as a spokesman for al-Qaeda and threatened attacks on American soil.
So, these guys can now be lumped together with Al-Qaeda sympathizers for their crimes. Somewhat poetic.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong