Houston Elects First Openly Gay Mayor

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Prannon
Jedi Knight

Houston Elects First Openly Gay Mayor

Post by Prannon »

BBC
Houston elects openly gay mayor

Houston has become the largest US city to elect an openly gay mayor.

Annise Parker, a Democrat and the current city controller, won 53.6% in the run-off election, beating former city attorney Gene Locke, a Republican.

"The voters of Houston have opened the door to history," Ms Parker told supporters following her victory.

Campaigning ahead of the hotly contested vote in the Texan city, which has a population of 2.2 million people, was marked by anti-gay rhetoric.

Anti-gay activists and conservative religious groups endorsed Mr Locke and sent out leaflets to residents condemning Ms Parker's "homosexual behaviour".

“ This election has changed the world for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community ”
Annise Parker

Meanwhile, gay and lesbian political organisations nationwide countered by raising money for Ms Parker and urging people to vote.

Mr Locke condemned the anti-gay attacks, but two of his key supporters contributed money to a political action committee that urged votes not to pick Ms Parker because she was endorsed by the "gay and lesbian caucus".

"This election has changed the world for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community. Just as it is about transforming the lives of all Houstonians for the better, and that's what my administration will be about," Ms Parker declared after Saturday's run-off.

Ms Parker will face a $130m budget deficit when her term as mayor begins in early January.

Houston is the fourth largest US city. Several smaller cities already have openly gay mayors, including Portland, Oregon and Providence, Rhode Island.
Good news for some of the activists on this board. I'm a Houstonite myself, so this is a happy moment for me. I'm glad to see tolerance win over bigotry any day. I'm also happy to see the HURHUR EVERYONE IN TEXAS IS STUPID RELIGIOUS. Not everyone in Texas is a fundamentalist Christian! :evil:
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Re: Houston Elects First Openly Gay Mayor

Post by Liberty »

Weird...in Texas?

I guess my opinion of Texas just rose slightly.
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Texa is weird. For all the backwoods-y hillbilly shit in the state, Dallas is a very nice place. Many millionaires executives, celebrities, and sports players live there. That means that many of the facilities are very top notch and diverse.

Houston, as another big city in the state, is similar, I assume.
Last edited by Pulp Hero on 2009-12-13 11:11am, edited 1 time in total.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Isn't Houston anyways one of the more liberal cities in Texas?
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I thought that was Austin, but... well, congrats, Texas!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

[R_H] wrote:Isn't Houston anyways one of the more liberal cities in Texas?
No, that's Austin you're probably thinking of. The Houston area is very conservative, but you've got to remember that like most major cities the conservative rich white folk moved out to the suburbs decades ago. Not that the minority population in the city proper are a bunch of raging liberals, but issues like this get far less traction in the debate.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
[R_H] wrote:Isn't Houston anyways one of the more liberal cities in Texas?
No, that's Austin you're probably thinking of. The Houston area is very conservative, but you've got to remember that like most major cities the conservative rich white folk moved out to the suburbs decades ago. Not that the minority population in the city proper are a bunch of raging liberals, but issues like this get far less traction in the debate.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So then it's still quite surprising that an openly gay person was elected?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Counters with the openly gay german foreign minister&vice chancellor.

But yes, good for them, and for her.
Surprising, but certainly refreshing.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Serafina wrote:Counters with the openly gay german foreign minister&vice chancellor.

Do we really need almost everytime America does something positive, someone showing Europe/elsewhere has beaten us to it? We know we're behind on some issues but we don't need our noses rubbed in it.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

[R_H] wrote:Ah, thanks for clarifying. So then it's still quite surprising that an openly gay person was elected?
Absolutely. Only about 3% of Houston residents are openly gay, so at best you could expect one gay mayor in a lifetime. To get one so early in this new era of improving tolerance is to me at least totally unexpected.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
[R_H] wrote:Ah, thanks for clarifying. So then it's still quite surprising that an openly gay person was elected?
Absolutely. Only about 3% of Houston residents are openly gay, so at best you could expect one gay mayor in a lifetime. To get one so early in this new era of improving tolerance is to me at least totally unexpected.
Or it shows that America is looking past the bedroom and picked the candidate that has already been doing a good job in the city.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Master of Cards wrote:
Serafina wrote:Counters with the openly gay german foreign minister&vice chancellor.

Do we really need almost everytime America does something positive, someone showing Europe/elsewhere has beaten us to it? We know we're behind on some issues but we don't need our noses rubbed in it.
Well, does it hurt? Why do you complain about it?
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Serafina wrote:
Master of Cards wrote:

Does it hurt? Not sure if there is an answer but its also ridiculously off thread to bring up other nations' elected officials in this vein. We are talking about US politics so its kinda getting redundant to point out tolerance in other electoral systems simply because it adds nothing to the thread that we have not already heard a thousand times before.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Maybe Houston's conservatism is exaggerated? Both candidates were Democrats, and a quick glance at their stances on the issues shows few significant differences. I don't know whether mayoral elections are as important in Houston as they are in, say, Chicago or New York, so I can't be sure of the actual level of participation in this event. I'm sure it was higher than normal though, given the context.

It's also worth noting that Gene Locke is black. Is this relevant? How many black mayors has Houston had?
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Serafine666
Jedi Knight

Post by Serafine666 »

It is always a pleasure to read that some city somewhere chose to look passed a person's irrelevant characteristics and elect them to a position of responsibility. At the same time... what point is there in digging out the party hats and fireworks every time that a gay person is supported for public office or what not? Harvey Milk was a pretty awesome guy but he died years ago and the era he was a part of--where it was a genuine surprise that homosexuality wasn't a deal-breaker for the majority--has passed us by. Gay people have long been in the movies and in fact been widely liked by audiences; Ellen Degeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, and Andrew Sullivan are openly gay opinion-makers that are taken seriously. Whatever his previous scandals, politicians like Barney Frank have been a serious force in national politics for many years. It's great that people are no longer as prejudiced as they once were but... the wheel isn't being reinvented every time a homosexual person is treated equally and it sort of seems to diminish previous progress to continually treat every occasion as a show-stopping event that must be cried from every rooftop.
"Freedom is not an external truth. It exists within men, and those who wish to be free are free." - Paul Ernst

The world is black and white. People, however, are grey.

When man has no choice but to do good, there's no point in calling him moral.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Serafina wrote:
Master of Cards wrote:

Oh, yeah? Well... we elected a Black guy before any of you did! So... so there! nyah-nyah! :P :wink:

And Europe did have the first female Prime Minister (Maggie Thatcher) but that didn't turn out so well. And besides, she was beat by.... Israel. Heheh.

Alright, let's be real, this is a positive step all round. We should celebrate this extremely positive step forward in society... No EU/US bashing. No hard feelings. C'mon guys, race ya to the Moon! Oh, wait--! 8) (sorry, just teasing, couldn't resist :wink: )
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Oh, yeah? Well... we elected a Black guy before any of you did! So... so there! nyah-nyah! :P :wink:
*whispers* Thats because they dont have significant numbers of black people
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Serafine666 wrote:It is always a pleasure to read that some city somewhere chose to look passed a person's irrelevant characteristics and elect them to a position of responsibility. At the same time... what point is there in digging out the party hats and fireworks every time that a gay person is supported for public office or what not? Harvey Milk was a pretty awesome guy but he died years ago and the era he was a part of--where it was a genuine surprise that homosexuality wasn't a deal-breaker for the majority--has passed us by. Gay people have long been in the movies and in fact been widely liked by audiences; Ellen Degeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, and Andrew Sullivan are openly gay opinion-makers that are taken seriously. Whatever his previous scandals, politicians like Barney Frank have been a serious force in national politics for many years. It's great that people are no longer as prejudiced as they once were but... the wheel isn't being reinvented every time a homosexual person is treated equally and it sort of seems to diminish previous progress to continually treat every occasion as a show-stopping event that must be cried from every rooftop.
It took you an entire rambling paragraph to state that the election of a homosexual isn't really breaking news because homosexuals have a more prominent place in current society and have been elected before.

The reason why it is considered news worthy is:

1. While it is Houston, it is also Texas. An election of a homosexual there is news worthy. An election of a homosexual in a Scandinavian country would be a non event, whereas an election of a homosexual in a state with a significant amount of religious homophobic retards is newsworthy.

2. Despite your rambling waffle about homosexuals being elected and being more prominent, people are far less likely to vote for a homosexual than an ordinary person. This is a poll from 2007 where 43% of people indicated that they would not vote for a homosexual. The only group to do worse are atheists at 53%. I suspect these figures would be even worse just for the state of Texas, being a religiously conservative state. The fact that this individual managed to overcome this prejudice and stigma is what makes it so newsworthy.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

bobalot wrote:The fact that this individual managed to overcome this prejudice and stigma is what makes it so newsworthy.
Did overwhelming prejudice exist in Houston? The poll I saw in the WSJ indicated that about 75% of the voters in Houston consider homosexuality a complete non-issue, which would seem to indicate that Houston has already moved past the "major anti-gay prejudice" stage.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Houston has a reputation for being a bit more open about things like homosexuality than the rest of the state. Still a gay mayor somewhere in Texas.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Yona
Youngling

Post by Yona »

bobalot wrote:Houston has a reputation for being a bit more open about things like homosexuality than the rest of the state. Still a gay mayor somewhere in Texas.
True ! Texans as a whole, however, have a reputation of being very intolerant of, well, almost anything that isn't White, Christian, and Republican. Remember the "dragging" a few years ago?

Good luck to her, I hope she does a fantastic job.
The "Stupid Gene" is alive and well ! It resides in many forms, mostly in the "new" crop of Republicans !
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

So what are the chances of Texas allowing gay marriage?
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Darth Wong wrote:So what are the chances of Texas allowing gay marriage?
Effectively nil, but it is worth noting that a State judge in Texas already ruled that gay marriages from outside the state have to be recognized.

(The state was arguing against granting a married couple a divorce, since that would mean they were married)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

"State judge"? I believe the official term is "activist left-wing liberal judge, legislating from the bench".

In any case, I think it's rather premature to celebrate the death of homophobia in Texas just because this person got elected.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Darth Wong wrote:"State judge"? I believe the official term is "activist left-wing liberal judge, legislating from the bench".
Heh. I guess what I found remarkable about it was that a member of the state judiciary recognized gay marriage, as opposed to a Federal judge.
In any case, I think it's rather premature to celebrate the death of homophobia in Texas just because this person got elected.

I'm not sure anyone is doing that...
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."